http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 03:33:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any other console gamers not care a whit about handhelds?  (Read 1954 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2005, 12:52:58 PM »

Everybody is fussing about the PSP.  I could not care less especially at that price point.

But this is how I've always been.  The last 'handheld' I had was a Burgertime game that my great uncle helped me buy when I was 10 (I still have it and it still works). It was 4x3 with two little joysticks and you ran around all over the burger fixins...

Other than that, I've not owned a one...

Gameboy's never did it for me (still don't).
The Sega incarnation never did it for me.
The GBA. ditto
GB DS. Nope.
Now the PSP.

Anyone else not care at all about handheld games?

For those who do...what's the fuss about?  I guess if you travel a lot then it's cool, but who has time OR NEED to game on the go all the time.  

Would make me get weary of gaming, I bet.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 01:06:15 PM »

I honestly haven't really fussed over handheld gaming either ATB, but the PSP is swaying that for me.  Its a great break between classes...I can sit out and choke on second-hand smoke and chat with the smokers outside or I can sit in the lounge and watch a movie or play a game.  Its good decompression between my subjects...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 01:08:50 PM »

I'm not much of a handheld gamer either.  I did have a GBA (twice), but outside of FF Tactics Advance, I really didn't spend that much time with it.  I simply don't have anywhere outside of my house that I would really game.  And if I'm sitting on the couch, you can damn well bet I'll be playing on the 52" hdtv!

At this point, I could care less about the PSP simply because none of the launch titles interest me at all.  Put a couple of good RPG's on the system, then I might consider picking one up.  Put a Final Fantasy game on it, and I'll have to get one.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 01:10:45 PM »

Not in the least really.  I play video games because of the VIDEO.  The idea of playing a video game on the smallest screen I can possibly find does not appeal to me.  Cool gadgets, sure, but in no way for me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 01:16:27 PM »

I'm the opposite. I really couldn't care less about XBox next, P3, Revolution, Phantom, whatever. Consoles really ain't my thing, but I like the DS and can't wait for the PSP. Console to me means quick gaming. If I have time for a long session I usually end up on my PC.
shang
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 01:21:44 PM »

I previously wasn't interested in handheld gaming at all. Then I happened to try Advance Wars and Fire Emblem on an emulator and knew I HAD to get a GBA. The best thing is that it doesn't really cut from your other gaming time, as you can game with a handheld in situations where you couldn't play with a more monolithic device. Now wether you need/want to squeeze more gaming time to your life is another question altogether. slywink

It's pretty much about the games for me. There are lots of games on the haldhelds that just don't have equivivalents on other consoles. I'm especially hyped about the Nintendo DS with the possibilites offered by the double/touch screen (I'm a sucker for "quirky"/strange games) and had to get one at the European release.

The PSP leaves me pretty cold despite its graphical power. The touch screen is such a great thing that it's going to be a minimum requirement for my handhelds from now on. Most of the upcoming PSP games also do nothing for me, as I don't play sports or racing games. I'm really bitter about the new Nippon Ichi SRPG coming to the PSP though. biggrin
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 01:24:34 PM »

You've obviously never experienced that sublime joy that I call "toilet gaming"!   :lol:

I play it at work on breaks and between patients.  My wife is watching TV most evenings so my console time is limited.  I can either play PC games and have her complain that we aren't "spending time together"  or I can sit on the couch next to her and play a GameBoy game.

Plus there's just no game like Fire Emblem (although there is a GameCube version coming out).

Last I just love the idea of watching a movie (like a Buffy episode) with headphones on while my wife is watching some crappy CSI show.  I do that on my PocketPC frequently now.  And I can watch the same episodes at work when I'm supposed to be.... um... working.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 01:45:16 PM »

crappy CSI show

*sniffle*  Why do you say the things that hurt?   :cry:

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 04:15:59 PM »

I like my GBA for reasons all ready stated, such as playing while watching TV especially with the wife.

I also like 2d platformers and the GBA has lots of them. I never finished most that were on the SNES so now I can. I also like the strategy games it has like Advance Wars.

I'll also play it when I'm at the inlaws and were stuck watching hours of TV.

I'm not getting a newer model (PSP or whatever Nintendo has next) for a while. Lots of GBA gaming I can still do.

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 04:45:33 PM »

I always regarded handheld game systems as kid toys--come on, it's a GameBOY--and not worthy of attention.

Then I got a GBA SP.  Holy cow--that's really a slick piece of hardware.  The portability is a huge feature.  My friend takes his along to play in the car while his wife spends his paycheck at Target every 2 weeks.  For the last few nights my boys have been very sick and I've spent way too many late-night hours sitting in their room.  No problem: I just take the GBA and play some Pokemon.  And, ahem, warning makes some good points too.

However, if you don't have any use for portable gaming, or if there are no games which suit your tastes, or you're cheap like me (I wouldn't have paid for a GBA; I won it in a drawing), handheld gaming may not be for you.

Personally, I've had very little interest in the PSP.  Lately I've been getting the itch, but it's more due to hype than to interest in launch games.  There's no WAY I'm going to spend $300+ next week to get a PSP and a game.  I'm a late-adopter.  When the price has dropped, the system has proven itself and it has a decent number of games I want to play, I'll consider it.  Till then, I'll keep telling myself no.

On that last point, I wonder how the PSP has done in Japan over the last few months.  Have gamers flocked to it?  Has it proven to be everything it was promised to be?  I haven't taken the time to find out for myself, but I'd be interested in knowing before I'd ever consider buying a PSP.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 05:07:29 PM »

To me its about the games, not the platform.  A great game is a great game.  That's why I have all of the consoles, a gaming PC, a SP, a DS, and next week a PSP. I could care less about the portability.  I just can't stand the thought that there are outstanding games I'm missing because I don't have the hardware.

It probably helps that in my "old age" (almost 30) I'm becoming less and less a graphics whore.  I still love some good eye candy but the quality of the art vice polygon-pushing power is becoming more important to me.  Consequently I can enjoy games ranging from 16 bit era 2D to current generation 3D and everything in between and admire them for what they accomplish with the limitations of the hardware.  

The final straw is what has been mentioned before- portables are much more wife friendly.  I have an incredible "play room" that holds all of my consoles, books, PC, etc but its on the other side of the house from the living room.  My wife is very supportive of my gaming addiction but it certainly helps to periodically be able to simulaneously spend time with her, play a game, and not subject myself to According to Jim.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 05:12:42 PM »

On that last point, I wonder how the PSP has done in Japan over the last few months. Have gamers flocked to it? Has it proven to be everything it was promised to be? I haven't taken the time to find out for myself, but I'd be interested in knowing before I'd ever consider buying a PSP.

Its done very well (nearly a million sold I think) though not exactly a phenomenon.  It still only has half the install base of the DS there (both launched within two weeks of each other) but lack of product certainly plays a role in the two portables' market penetration.  

What's interesting is that the software hasn't had any breakout hits.  Despite generally excellent reviews for most of the launch lineup, the games have consistently undersold compared to other consoles, the GBA SP, and the DS.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 06:10:05 PM »

I don't really like handhelds myself. Too uncomfortable to put serious gaming on. I do love many games that happens to be on a portable. That's what the Game Boy Player is for! smile
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 06:57:27 PM »

I got a GBA for cheap on Overstock probably a few months into the systems launch. Traded that in for a GBA SP and really I've hardly touched it since. I primarily got it since Castlevania was out on it (loved Symphony of the Night) and for some of the SNES ports. Overall handhelds don't really excite me and I really consider myself one who watches and waits. If there are enough awesome games for it, I might be compelled to buy one. Simply buying one at launch is simply crazy IMO.

How does this work again?
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 10:54:50 PM »

I have kids.....
Thank god for hand helds.
that are under 100. bucks

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 11:15:16 PM »

I never had any interest in the underpowered, crude games seemingly provided by handhelds.... until Advance Wars came out for the GBA and started earning 10/10s from the gaming press.  I borrowed a friend's GBA to see what the fuss was about, and now I find myself playing handhelds almost as much consoles themselves.  

The thing I like about handheld games is that since they more or less can't compete in the graphics catagory compared to normal consoles, a lot of games have an increased focus on gameplay.  Now granted there's just as much crap on a handheld as a console, but at the same time there are so many awesome series of games that deliver on a gameplay level that it's hard to imagine life w/o handhelds.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 11:31:27 PM »

Anyone else not care at all about handheld games?

For those who do...what's the fuss about? I guess if you travel a lot then it's cool, but who has time OR NEED to game on the go all the time

i pretty much felt like this up to about a little over a year ago when i got 2 sps to play crystal chronicles. i've been a major fan ever since, probably logging as much time on the sp as my other systems...

i'm surprised by the number of people listing 'quality time w/wife' as a reason they like handhelds - it's one of my major reasons (along with exclusives) as well. sunny afternoon / early evening, birds at the patio feeder, music, a handheld, & thou - true romance smile ...

on the other hand, no, i'm not caught up in the pspmania at all at this point. a few good exclusives & i'll get interested...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 11:34:49 PM »

I really don't care for handhelds either.  I'm not *that* into videogames that I need to be able to take them with me smile  Just kidding... but there's really not much opportunity for me to use a handheld, and if I'm at home, I'd much rather use the PC or my HDTV.  I've owned a few Gameboys in the past, but I just couldn't stand the tiny low-res flickery screens, so they didn't stay in my posession for very long. The PSP might be the device to change my mind, but we'll see, I guess.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2005, 07:37:19 AM »

I owned a Gameboy for about three days once.  I found it in the schoolyard way back in grade 8.  I was made to give it back to the kid who lost it though.  Thanks mom! :roll:   Finders keepers my ass.

To answer the question though, no I don't care for them either.  Gaming for me is best spent in the comfort and quiet of my own home with a BIG frickin' screen.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2005, 07:44:46 AM »

Quote from: "juniordan"
I have kids.....

A recipie for insanity:

1 five hour Greyhound trip
0 ways to occupy oneself
3 bratty preteen siblings
3 cans of Coke
1 Gameboy

It was not good.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2005, 06:27:23 PM »

Not the biggest fan. Tried the GBA, didnt get much use out of it, but I am hoping the PSP will prove itself enough that I can buy it.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2005, 08:58:25 PM »

I have a GBA SP which is up for sale right now in the trade forum.  I like the idea of it and have enjoyed a couple games on it.  But I honestly just don't play it.  I'm either playing X-Box on my 52" HDTV or playing WoW.  I just got a new laptop that runs WoW very nicely too so that's my portable gaming. smile
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2005, 09:19:47 PM »

I really never had one until somewhat recently, and I NEVER thought I would want one.

Well, to make a long story short about 2 years ago, I had ALOT of store credit at EB, and I finally decided to grab a (at the time) new model of the gba, the gba sp. I loved the idea of the battery being built in and rechargable. I played the crap out of that thing , and so did my wife thanks to wario ware and mario golf etc. I sold it to grab a DS, and we love it too. Mario 64ds and warioware touched, both keep us very busy and have been a TON of fun so far.

It`s great for me. Alot of the snes games I never played before,and same with some of the 64 ports(M64 etc.). I rented mario 64 on the 64, but I didn`t even scratch the surface.

I might grab a psp down the road when there are games that interest me, but right now the price is too high, and the games aren`t really my cup of tea.

After having these handhelds though, it really opened my eyes on how fun a handheld can be. Sitting on the porch, consuming some beverages, playing a game of baseball, or m64 etc. Good fun.
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2005, 09:46:20 PM »

Personally, I'm platform-agnostic - or a gaming slut, depending on how you look at it.  Tongue  I'll go where the games that interest me are.  I own all of the major consoles of the last decade, save the N64, which I borrowed.  Hell, I've even had a Neo Geo CD and Jaguar for a while: the former solely to feed my Samurai Shodown addiction at the time; the latter more outta morbid curiosity than anything else. Cool

That said, I prefer to play my games on the TV or monitor and have no real use for portables.  It doesn't help that a lot of portable games are remakes or ports of existing titles - in which case, I'd rather play the original console game.  I bought a Game Boy Player for the handful of GBA games which interested me (mostly strategy-RPGs like FFTA, Fire Emblem, and Advance Wars) and that's about as close to portable gaming as I get.  I understand their appeal for others and I certainly don't rule out getting one someday.  But these days, I do all my gaming at home and I prefer to do it on a big screen - for obvious reasons, I should think.  slywink
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2005, 07:53:54 PM »

Quote from: "juniordan"
I have kids.....

Whoa. Haiku. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: