http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 11:13:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Ghost Recon 2 impressions?  (Read 1573 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2004, 11:17:55 PM »

Anyone buy or rent this game yet?  Care to give impressions?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 11:25:34 PM »

I'm going out to pick it up in about a half hour. Got a big overtime paycheck from work today, and it turns out I worked about 10 hours more last week than I thought I did. Extra money galore.

I'll post impressions as soon as I've put an hour or two into it. I've heard positive buzz so far from two friends that picked it up and someone on another site said he was really enjoying it too.

*Edit*
I bought it, but have only had time for two singleplayer missions, one quick co-op multiplayer sessions, and to run through the training mission.

It seems pretty damn nice so far. Not much has really changed since the older ghost recon games on the Xbox, The first-person viewpoint everyone whined and whined about is still completely and perfectly intact, it's just not the default. You can easily switch from one to the other in-game, or set it in your profile.

The only things I can think of that have really been removed are all the squad management stuff involving the map (Which I do miss.. but it's not affecting the game any for me so far) and all the team selection stuff. That's the only thing that really hurts so far. I enjoyed the tension created by having a guy you'd spent points into upgrading skills on. That was good stuff. Now it seems all you do with the points you get when you win levels is the opportunity to use said points to purchase special features.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 05:11:30 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Anyone buy or rent this game yet?  Care to give impressions?

I rented it last night. Seems to be virtually the same from the others. Although since I rented it I don't have the manual. Seems you could swap which squad member you were playing and I can't figure out how to do that this time. Probably okay game, but after playing Halo and Call of duty I am a bit burned out on FPS type games. I only paid 99 cents to rent it tho. Wanted Baiten Kaitos but they didn't have that one yet.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 05:56:39 PM »

I think GR2 is great.  Really a lot of fun, and they've made it more console friendly, which may be a negative to some, but for me it's a step in the right direction.  

Let me explain.  

The missions all seem to be a string of very specific mini-missions, some of them even mini-games, almost.  In the first mission, for example, first you're charged with securing a gun emplacement so the Brits can come through.  Then, of course, a chopper comes in and you're to take it down with the gun you just secured.  Next you work your way further in and find snipers in the traffic control tower.  You're told to "take out the tower."  Of course, I sniped the guys in the tower, but then worked my way to the side and fired into the gas tank at its base.  Boom.  Tower down.  Reload ammo.  Take out another chopper from under an open air garage-type area.  Up a ramp.  More gun emplacements.  Then blow up a jet, and you're mission done.

That's a big leap from the last games' missions, I think.  The variety is incredible so far.  

And the map orders have been replaced by the system used in Rainbow 6.  Context sensitive orders with the Y button or voice commands.  Much more convenient, and it doesn't take you out of the game.

And the biggest change for me:  No limit on saves.  Save anywhere you want as many times as you want, you lucky bastard.  Woo-hoo!  Finally.  The 3 save limit was such a pain in the ass, especially when you didn't know how long the mission was going to be.  Did I use the second save only a quarter of the way through, or was that more than half way?

Also, the between mission cut-scene idea of a History Channel style show talking about the ghosts is brilliant, though it probably removes you from the immediacy to have them talking about the missions in the past tense.  I still think it's very clever.

For a while there I thought it was going to be too easy, then I got to the convoy mission and repeatedly had my ass handed to me (in different ways on each attempt, too).

Overall, I'm enjoying it a lot.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
halcyon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 07:17:51 PM »

It  is great! I gave my impressions down here...

http://www.consolegold.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2850

Now playing:
PC: SH3, Dangerous Waters, UT2K4, Gary Grigsby's World at War
Xbox: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
GC: Nothing right now.
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 08:43:42 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
And the biggest change for me:  No limit on saves.  Save anywhere you want as many times as you want, you lucky bastard.  Woo-hoo!  Finally.  The 3 save limit was such a pain in the ass, especially when you didn't know how long the mission was going to be.  Did I use the second save only a quarter of the way through, or was that more than half way?

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said. It's RIDICULOUS how many games are completely ruined by a screwy save system.  My time is very, very limited and I don't have the time or inclination to keep replaying the same section of game over and over and over and over.  As soon as that happens, I pitch the game and move on.  I also make a mental note not to buy any more in that line.

Developers, is it REALLY that hard to put anytime-ingame-save into a game?  SHEESH!

Well done Redstorm!  I have my copy of GR2 ordered.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 08:46:11 PM »

I'm two more missions into the singleplayer and I love the game. It's a new Ghost Recon title, no more, no less.

On the multiplayer end it's been improved quite a bit. Played my second game of that today. It's good fun. I want to run through the singlplayer levels in co-op ASAP. It'll be a blast.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 11:12:34 PM »

It's a new Ghost Recon title, no more, no less.

I actually do think it's more than just a new Ghost Recon title.  The interface has changed fairly significantly (the map, which was vital to the last game, is all but an afterthought now).  The graphics are miles above what we had previously.  The mission structure is very different.  All improvements, mind you, but I don't think this is comparable to what came previously.  This is much, much more than the same game with better graphics (as most sequels tend to be).

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 08:33:36 PM »

That's good to hear, Bullwinkle. I got this for $27 today at Blockbuster (see my post in Steals & Deals as to how), and am really looking forward to some co-op on Live with some of you.  Send me a PM if you want to play some time.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 10:31:28 PM »

I see it as just a new Ghost Recon title because I actually liked those older features that were removed.

So to me, it's just a newer, easier to play, streamlined version of Ghost Recon.

Also, the graphics are less of an improvement in singleplayer than they seem to be in multiplayer. I've encountered more than a few areas in singleplayer that have some issues with framerate that I haven't seen come up in the multiplayer.

I never once had a spot where the framerate dropped in the range I consider "too low" in the earlier GR games on Xbox. It seems to occur fairly often in this one.

Not an issue, and still quite playable, but something I noticed about the "improved graphics".

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 03:32:28 AM »

I guess my point is the changes (both added and removed) make it a different game.  So "nothing more, nothing less" doesn't seem to apply.

JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 03:58:14 PM »

For those that have played GR2, here's a question for you that hopefully you'll be able to answer.

Since you've played this on console do you think you'd like to play the game on a PC rather than console? Do you think you'd enjoy GR2 if you were playing it on a PC.

I've played Ghost Recon on pc, and I guess I like the control of mouse and keyboard better than a console controller only.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 04:27:57 PM »

While the game seems like it was designed for the console first this time around, I don't see why you couldn't have a great experience on the PC.  The only thing you'd really be missing is the voice commands, but maybe they'll implement it.  Control is more precise on the PC (though I think the console controls are excellent for GR2), of course, and the graphics will look better, blah blah blah, but the Live experience just wouldn't be the same.  Good, of course, but even with mics, I've never had the same experience multi-player on a PC.

DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 03:41:06 PM »

Why have to choose?  Here's a keyboard mouse converter for the Xbox:

http://www.lik-sang.com/

Quote from: "JSHAW"
For those that have played GR2, here's a question for you that hopefully you'll be able to answer.

Since you've played this on console do you think you'd like to play the game on a PC rather than console? Do you think you'd enjoy GR2 if you were playing it on a PC.

I've played Ghost Recon on pc, and I guess I like the control of mouse and keyboard better than a console controller only.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: