http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 06:13:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any feelings about Spy vs Spy  (Read 1426 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2005, 10:37:42 PM »

Its $20 and comes out this week for the Xbox. How bad could it be?

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 10:43:22 PM »

i think i saw it today - i ran the other way... had a bad experience with the GBC or GBA (?) version :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 02:43:42 AM »

Spy vs Spy 3 on the PC (in its CGA graphic glory) was one of the best multiplayer games ever created, so I'm willing to give this title a shot purely based on the heritage :-)

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 04:25:13 PM »

Yeah, I've been following this one from a distance.  LOVED it on the Commodore 64 way back when.  The idea of playing it over live intrigues me too.

I'm just nervous that it will not do the original justice.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 05:59:37 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Spy vs Spy 3 on the PC (in its CGA graphic glory) was one of the best multiplayer games ever created, so I'm willing to give this title a shot purely based on the heritage :-)

Yeah, I remember many an hour spent on that classic.

How I love dating myself with all of these old games. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 06:28:40 PM »

I know the feeling. I remember the Speccy 48k version very well.,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 05:31:48 AM »

I picked it up.  I've played the first mission and one classic mission.  It's not bad.  The controls are a little loose, 1but nothing to gripe horribly about.  The graphics are certainly not next gen, but they get the job done.  

My only real complaint so far is that it's not always clear what you're supposed to be doing.  It took me a while in the first story mission to figure out how to beat the balloon boss at the end, and then I tried the second level (twice, actually) and cannot figure out how to proceed (I think it has something to do with the targets because there's a green arrow near them, but I can't figure out what the hell to do).  By the same token, the controls aren't completely intuitive when it comes to things like setting traps or switching weapons.

Classic mode is a 3D redo of the original Spy vs Spy.  However, it's missing some key ingredients, like a map and other indicators.  Still, it is fun, if only for nostalgia's sake.  Haven't tried it online yet.  Don't think there will be much traffic, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 05:55:31 AM »

Apparently, there is a map in classic mode (back button), so that may improve things a lot.

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 01:51:19 PM »

My brother and I used to play SvS a lot on our Commodore.  There was even a few months phase where we'd decide any disagreements with a Spy vs. Spy match.  We started with 1, went to 2, and then 3.  Best 2 out of 3 won. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 02:34:39 PM »

the second level in the very beginning with the targets?...if you git the X button it tells you what to do with em.  Its a memory game.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 07:11:55 PM »

Thanks.  Yeah, I figured that out today.  I had no idea you had to hit X.  There's no obvious sign to do that.  Same problem with the bell ringing game later in the level.  And I had no idea I'd picked up the plunger for the dynamite when I shot the other spy.  Again, it's not always clear what you're supposed to do.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 01:57:27 PM »

Overall impression from about 15 minutes in the first story mission... bleh. it might be a fun multi-player game but I wasn't pulled in to the single player at all, I played until I was killed and put in Midnight Club 3...

the cut sceen with the fireplace trap confused me.. did I do that automatically or was I supposed to do that? I can't find the "take off my hat" button.

This one will go on the shelf of purchases to learn from, right next to Monster Garage.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 02:54:24 PM »

Ouch.  From what I've seen of Monster Garage, this is no where near as bad as that.  You definitely have to be a SvS fan, though.  Probably of the original game as well.

I played a little of the Modern mode last night.  Looks like it could be a lot of fun multiplayer, though the levels may be a little big for only four spies, so who knows?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: