http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 06:25:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any DQ8 impressions yet?  (Read 11283 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2005, 09:14:44 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Heh, I thought you were being rather quite about it smile


Tonight baby, I promise!!!
Logged
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12607


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2005, 01:46:42 AM »

OK, knock it off.  You're making me really want this game, even though I have yet to ever like an (mostly) Enix developed title.
Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2005, 01:51:18 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
OK, knock it off.  You're making me really want this game, even though I have yet to ever like an (mostly) Enix developed title.


It shares almost nothing in common with other Enix titles (Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Radiata Stories, etc).  The only thing it does share a lot in common with are previous Dragon Quest games though this is probably the most accessible DQ game ever (and it doesn't compromise anything to do that).
Logged
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12607


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2005, 05:18:38 AM »

I caved.  Picked it up tonight and have put about 3 hours into it.  Just beat the waterfall quest (my guys barely survived at 6th level.  I was out of herbs and one more hit would have killed me) and limped back to town.  I'm really enjoying it so far, despite my lack of enthusiasm about Enix games in general.  I have actively disliked the previous DQ games I've played, so coming into this one with no expectations probably helped.  After trying the chaotic on-screen mess that is Magna Carta's combat, DQ8's simple streamlined battle system seems great.  I like the unique look and feel, although I think I'd be embarassed if anyone over the age of 10 was watching me play.  I'm actually more of a 'on-rails' RPG fan (my biggest gripe about RPG's is the 'What am I supposed to do next?' feeling), but we'll see how this one progresses.  The visual and music are both better than what I was expecting, and the monster designs are fairly inspired.  I'm excited to play more, but am not sure if this will be able to pull me away from Guitar Hero entirely.

On a side note, I usually pick up strategy guides for RPG's (see the gripe above for why), but the DQ8 guide is pretty much worthless.  For example, it makes absolutely no mention of the boss for the waterfall area.  I was actually wondering if there was one right up to the point he popped out.  Um, isn't that why the strategy guide is made?  I'm not expecting the book to give everything away and completely hold my hand, but at least give me a little heads-up that I'll face something that might completely kick my ass.  That's why I bought the damn thing!
Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2005, 05:34:12 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I'm actually more of a 'on-rails' RPG fan (my biggest gripe about RPG's is the 'What am I supposed to do next?' feeling), but we'll see how this one progresses.


FWIW (if you haven't already noticed) pressing the START button opens up a sort of conversation screen with your party whose primary purpose is to tell you exactly where to go next and give you tips about how to accomplish your task.

So far, I'd say the exploration aspects are pretty much entirely optional though you might have to do some just for leveling purposes but that's hard for me to say- I've done so much exploration that my characters are a bit overleveled making combat a little bit too easy.  The game does seem to get a bit easier as you go along.  

Quote from: "Gratch"
On a side note, I usually pick up strategy guides for RPG's (see the gripe above for why), but the DQ8 guide is pretty much worthless. For example, it makes absolutely no mention of the boss for the waterfall area.


Heh, to be fair he's actually listed in the back under "Selected Boss Monsters" but, yeah, its a bit bizarre that there isn't a mention of him in the main walkthrough.
Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7850


Hard partier


View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2005, 03:53:01 PM »

So if I come into some money this weekend, would you recommend I pick this up even if I haven't played a DQ game since the first NES one? It's been so long since I played a great RPG, since Jade Empire blows I'm not considering it "great" slywink, that I'm curious to play another. I take it everyone here likes this, I just want to make sure I'm not blowing money at this time of year. smile
Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2005, 04:12:53 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
So if I come into some money this weekend, would you recommend I pick this up even if I haven't played a DQ game since the first NES one? It's been so long since I played a great RPG, since Jade Empire blows I'm not considering it "great" slywink, that I'm curious to play another. I take it everyone here likes this, I just want to make sure I'm not blowing money at this time of year. smile


Absolutely pick it up.  There aren't any connections to previous games so you aren't "missing anything".  I imagine that for  the vast majority of consumers this will be their first DQ game.
Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15987


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2005, 04:43:10 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
So if I come into some money this weekend, would you recommend I pick this up even if I haven't played a DQ game since the first NES one? It's been so long since I played a great RPG, since Jade Empire blows I'm not considering it "great" slywink, that I'm curious to play another. I take it everyone here likes this, I just want to make sure I'm not blowing money at this time of year. smile

Absolutely pick it up.  There aren't any connections to previous games so you aren't "missing anything".  I imagine that for  the vast majority of consumers this will be their first DQ game.

Most definitely pick this game up if you love RPGs in general. There's no 'active time battle' or 'match the spinning wheel thingy'. Just pure 'line them up in front of you and beat them down' in pure turn based goodness.

It may be considered an 'old-school' RPG by many standards, but it is the best of the old-school games by far. And no connection (that I've seen so far) to any of the old games either, so it's great for those who haven't played the other titles.

The worst part is finding time to play this against my Xbox 360.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3451



View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2005, 08:51:14 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
So if I come into some money this weekend, would you recommend I pick this up even if I haven't played a DQ game since the first NES one? It's been so long since I played a great RPG, since Jade Empire blows I'm not considering it "great" slywink, that I'm curious to play another. I take it everyone here likes this, I just want to make sure I'm not blowing money at this time of year. smile


I've never played a DQ game before and really it won't matter.  It's a fantastic game all around.   If turn based RPGs are your thing, this is the cream of the crop.
Logged

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3481


Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me


View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2005, 09:46:51 PM »

Well, I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but the Wife loves it and is addicted to it. I just finished one half of Radiata Stories and will finish the other half and Shadow of the Colossus before tackling DQ8. From watching her play I know I will love it, and from hearing the music from down the hall I know I'd get the OST to have on the PC
Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6989


View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2005, 10:03:57 PM »

There are lots of little nostalgic touches for people who've played the previous games, but you're not missing anything if you've never played one before.  I'm assuming the US will now get the remakes of the earlier games like DQ4 and DQ5, and it will be interesting to see how those new to the series react to those.
Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4416



View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2005, 10:25:06 PM »

the forum effect strikes again...

too many people up here have said too many good things for me to continue relying on my initial disappointment with the demo. so, not sure when i'll get around to it, but my copy's now ready & waiting (note to self: remember to make 'no one over age 10 allowed' sign for door before playing)...
Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2005, 10:33:42 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
There are lots of little nostalgic touches for people who've played the previous games, but you're not missing anything if you've never played one before.  I'm assuming the US will now get the remakes of the earlier games like DQ4 and DQ5, and it will be interesting to see how those new to the series react to those.


I'm betting we won't get the DQ4 remake since it was PS1.  Word is that if DQ8 does really well then there is a decent chance of the DQ5 PS2 remake, which I would love because word is its fantastic.  And I think Japan is getting a PS2 DQ6 remake next year.
Logged
Ralph-Wiggum
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2643


View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2005, 11:06:33 PM »

I was this close (----) to buying it today. Went to EB and saw it for $49.99. So I decided to head over to Target to see if it was any cheaper. But it was sold out there. Because of the traffic, I didn't feel like going back to the mall to get the game from EB. Perhaps it was divine intervention. Or perhaps I'll just get it tomorrow.
Logged
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6989


View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2005, 11:47:05 PM »

I'm sure we won't get the PS1 version of DQ4, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it someday on the DS or PSP.  It's usually several years between releases in the DQ series, so I'm sure SquareEnix will do whatever they can to take advantage of the series' newfound popularity in the US.
Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2005, 01:18:21 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I'm sure we won't get the PS1 version of DQ4, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it someday on the DS or PSP.  It's usually several years between releases in the DQ series, so I'm sure SquareEnix will do whatever they can to take advantage of the series' newfound popularity in the US.


Good point on the potential portability of DQ4 to a handheld.  The DS would probably be a natural fit since a PSP port would likely require a graphic overhaul.  Maybe SE will bring the DQ5 remake to PSP if they don't think the PS2 version will sell well enough.
Logged
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6989


View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2005, 03:57:54 AM »

I'm hoping for a DQ5/DQ6 bundle.  The graphics are a big improvement over the SNES originals, but nowhere near DQ8-quality, and I've read that the games are short compared to the longer games in the series.
Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2005, 04:19:20 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I'm hoping for a DQ5/DQ6 bundle.  The graphics are a big improvement over the SNES originals, but nowhere near DQ8-quality, and I've read that the games are short compared to the longer games in the series.


DQ5 remake is supposedly approximately 40 hours which might be short compared to DQ7 but is still pretty substantial.  DQ6 SNES is pretty damn long IIRC.

Personally I don't think I want a bundle only for the fact that DQ6 remake hasn't hit Japan yet so a US release probably wouldn't be possible until well into 2007.  DQ5 wouldn't take much to port unless SE opted to add voices like they did with DQ8.  

Good point about people seeing it a step down though- that would likley make it difficult to charge full price.

Really when you think about, a PSP port would almost be a no brainer.  RPGs are still scarce on the system and unlike many other PSP games, DQ5r would be entirely new to US gamers.  

I'd go as far to say that a DQ5 port would likely sell better on the PSP than PS2 here in the US.
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2005, 08:06:22 AM »

Man, I would so kill for the ports of 4-5-6!! Bring it on!!
Logged
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6989


View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2005, 08:38:51 AM »

If anyone (for some strange reason slywink) is still on the fence, Circuit City has the game on sale for $39.99 this week.
Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2183


CINEMAGIC on XM!


View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2005, 01:23:26 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
If anyone (for some strange reason slywink) is still on the fence, Circuit City has the game on sale for $39.99 this week.

Damn you EddieA! :evil:  I'm on way to Circuit City at lunch time to pick up a case for my Zen Micro MP3 player and you had to mention this!  There is no way I will have the willpower to resist this.  YOU owe me $39.99! :wink:
Logged

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 410


View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2005, 02:02:51 PM »

haha I've been thinking the same thing since yesterday..but it wasn't at circuit city the other day when I looked.
Logged

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7325



View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2005, 05:17:24 AM »

I am so completely addicted to this game.  It's been a long time since a console RPG grabbed me and didn't want to let go.  Maybe not since Final Fantasy X was released.

I'm only about 5 hours into this and me and Yangus are kicking ass and taking names.  I just got the boomerang and the Zoom spell.  I'm having fun just exploring and fighting.  I'll figure out how to enter the tower of Alexandria someday but until then I'm still having a blast.

It's either this or Animal Crossing DS for my Game of the Year.
Logged
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3451



View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2005, 05:33:43 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
I am so completely addicted to this game.  It's been a long time since a console RPG grabbed me and didn't want to let go.  Maybe not since Final Fantasy X was released.

I'm only about 5 hours into this and me and Yangus are kicking ass and taking names.  I just got the boomerang and the Zoom spell.  I'm having fun just exploring and fighting.  I'll figure out how to enter the tower of Alexandria someday but until then I'm still having a blast.

It's either this or Animal Crossing DS for my Game of the Year.


I've put about 40 hours in so far and I feel the same as when I started.  Fantastic fantastic game.  I probably would have been farther by now, but AC is eating up a big chunk of time.  smile
Logged

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4004



View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2005, 07:44:47 PM »

I think that, the more time I put into this, this is easily going to be my game of the year, though Civ IV and Animal Crossing are giving it some serious competition.
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3071


View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2005, 10:10:03 AM »

Just picked this up.  I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.  I'm really looking foward to being able to sit down and spend several hours on it!

Darned end of semester.
Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Victoria Raverna
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 1097


Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune


View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2005, 09:32:55 AM »

DQ8 doesn't seem to have anything new or special compare to other turn based RPG, but for some reason I can't stop playing this game.

So anybody know why we all seem to like DQ8? The story is pretty average, the battle system is simple.

Maybe it is because of Yangus?smile
Logged
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6989


View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2005, 10:33:16 AM »

Dragon Quest just has some sort of magic to it.  I recently played through both DQ1 and 3 for the GBA, and despite even simpler battle systems, archaic graphics, and little plot, they were great fun.
Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4004



View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2005, 04:14:37 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Dragon Quest just has some sort of magic to it.  I recently played through both DQ1 and 3 for the GBA, and despite even simpler battle systems, archaic graphics, and little plot, they were great fun.


I need to go back and play through DQ3 on the GBA again once I finish DQ8.  smile  That was a classic!

Man, so many great games lately, so little time!
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6235


TML, for short.


View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2006, 05:48:10 AM »

I'm playing about a zillion other games at the moment...but ever since my brother purchased Dragon Quest 8, played the FF12 demo and essentially tossed it aside; it's been calling to me.  PLUS I'm sort of in an RPG mood (doesn't happen often), so I fired it up.

Two things:

1) GREAT music!!  Really fantastic music.

2) PERFECT voice-acting!!  Makes FFX look like amateur garbage.

RPG's click with me when they've got the intangibles and this one looks damn nice so far.

Soooo, this is a long game, isn't it?
Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4004



View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2006, 06:11:41 AM »

I'm at just about 60 hours on the game clock, and not only do I believe there's still a sizable chunk of gameplay left, I want there to be a sizable chunk of gameplay left!  biggrin  Absolutely fantastic game.  It continues to appease me, and is my favorite console RPG since Skies of Arcadia hit the Dreamcast.
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3451



View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2006, 06:29:56 AM »

I haven't been playing as much as I want to lately, but I'm close to the 50 hour mark and still having a blast.  
I just spent a good chunk of time in the Monster Arena passing Level D before deciding to get back to the main storyline.  I then got my butt handed to me in the Dark Ruins by you-know-who.
Logged

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 5540


View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2006, 06:46:46 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I'm playing about a zillion other games at the moment...but ever since my brother purchased Dragon Quest 8, played the FF12 demo and essentially tossed it aside; it's been calling to me.  PLUS I'm sort of in an RPG mood (doesn't happen often), so I fired it up.

Two things:

1) GREAT music!!  Really fantastic music.

2) PERFECT voice-acting!!  Makes FFX look like amateur garbage.

RPG's click with me when they've got the intangibles and this one looks damn nice so far.

Soooo, this is a long game, isn't it?

You touched my Dragon Quest VIII - now you will die.
Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4071


View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2006, 07:43:59 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
You touched my Dragon Quest VIII - now you will die.


Hope he doesn't overwrite your saves.  FRATRICIDE!
Logged

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 100


View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2006, 10:18:03 AM »

Enjoying this one, but put off by a couple issues:

At the 18 hour mark, with lvls 14-17 party members, and the random combat is entirely too easy, and boring because of it.  There's not been even the slightest threat of death from anything since my party wiped at the first boss.  The only time I've ever wiped.  Does the difficulty balance out more as the game progresses?

DQ8 takes place in a very green world.  Everything is green.  Dominant color - tons of trees and grass everywhere, all the same shades of green, with some brown, gray, and blue scattered about.  I'm tired of green.  World of Warcraft has spoiled me with so much variety in its many settings.  Does the world of Dragon Quest 8 vary up the settings as it progresses, or is the entire freaking world nothing more than several massive continents of green?

On a similar note, all the towns and castles I've encountered up to this point (SPOILER: looking for a hill illuminated by the full moon after meeting the sad king with the 2 yrs dead wife.) are disappointingly small.  Again, spoiled by WoW.  But, hell, the city in Dark Cloud 2 is 5 times bigger than anything I've encountered in DQ8 so far.  Are there any bigger cities or castles to be found later in the game, or is every establishment simply a little gray blemish in a sea of green?

I know there are more than a handful of DQ8 experts out here, so throw me a bone.  I may not continue if these issues persist.
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2006, 01:35:27 PM »

Re: encounters.  Yes they do get a bit more challenging, especially when you get to the Western Continent.  In the meantime you should use your teammates' AI settings- it will make combat go much, much quicker.  And, most importantly, buff up your Hero's Courage setting- it will enable you to get a spell that will disable most randam encounters in your area.

Re: landscape- yes it is predominantly green but there is quite a bit more variety in landscapes to come.  Hang in there.
Logged
farley2k
Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3364



View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2006, 02:47:08 PM »

Quote from: "Luke"
Enjoying this one, but put off by a couple issues:

At the 18 hour mark, with lvls 14-17 party members, and the random combat is entirely too easy, and boring because of it.  There's not been even the slightest threat of death from anything since my party wiped at the first boss.  The only time I've ever wiped.  Does the difficulty balance out more as the game progresses?

DQ8 takes place in a very green world.  Everything is green.  Dominant color - tons of trees and grass everywhere, all the same shades of green, with some brown, gray, and blue scattered about.  I'm tired of green.  World of Warcraft has spoiled me with so much variety in its many settings.  Does the world of Dragon Quest 8 vary up the settings as it progresses, or is the entire freaking world nothing more than several massive continents of green?

On a similar note, all the towns and castles I've encountered up to this point (SPOILER: looking for a hill illuminated by the full moon after meeting the sad king with the 2 yrs dead wife.) are disappointingly small.  Again, spoiled by WoW.  But, hell, the city in Dark Cloud 2 is 5 times bigger than anything I've encountered in DQ8 so far.  Are there any bigger cities or castles to be found later in the game, or is every establishment simply a little gray blemish in a sea of green?

I know there are more than a handful of DQ8 experts out here, so throw me a bone.  I may not continue if these issues persist.



1. difficulty.   I haven't found it getting harder except for boss fights.  However in a game with random encounters and unlimited exploration that seems about normal.  If you take your time and do lots of encounters you will be at a higher level.  

2. color.  I would say it is 80% green.  I have found some snowy areas but generally the pallet is bright and lively - green!  I think that is the underlying feeling of the game.

3. town size.    I would say they don't get any bigger.  But since town really don't have much for quests and stuff it is nice they are smaller.  Why make a huge town where all you do is sleep and shop?
Logged

Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4004



View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2006, 03:16:59 PM »

Yup, while there are some deserts and a snowy area or two, as well as some portions in a spoilerific type of area I won't mention, most of the game is green and pastoral.  slywink

Also, I like the variety in caves/dungeons/ruins.  All appropriately moody!

And yes, the towns all stay fairly smallish, but that's also ok with me given that there's not necessarily all that much to do in towns.  smile

It's basically Dragon Quest in 3-d.  That's all I wanted, and I got it.  And the story is actually quite well done imo!  Usually I'm not that big on the DQ stories, but I love the gameplay, so it's nice to be so pleasantly enchanted by the story.  slywink
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6235


TML, for short.


View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2006, 09:08:23 PM »

I am LOVING my new boomerang!!
Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12607


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2006, 09:34:43 PM »

Ugh, I've really hit the wall with DQ8.  I'm about 25 hours in, and I've reached the point that I will need to spend a few hours levelling before tackling the next dungeon.  While I enjoy the combat for the most part, I just can't bring myself to spend the time level-grinding.

I love this game, but the ultra-simplistic story and characters are starting to cause it to lose a bit of lustre.  frown
Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.153 seconds with 104 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.035s, 2q)