http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 02:54:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any DQ8 impressions yet?  (Read 11174 times)
Ragnarok
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2005, 04:01:27 PM »

Looking to grab this one as soon as I scrape together some $$.  I'd love to hear some impressions until I can post my own.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 06:31:08 PM »

I got it. Maybe I'll go load it up for a quick look.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 06:33:49 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
I got it. Maybe I'll go load it up for a quick look.

I will get it, but I'm at work. Cursed job!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 08:00:41 PM »

I'll have some impressions in a few hours.  IGN has posted their review - 9/10.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 08:06:19 PM »

While I haven't played it yet I'll say that just reading the instruction manual while my wife ran into Sam's Club made me giddy!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 08:10:54 PM »

I've got it as well....but I am kind of busy right now with other stuff...   :wink:

I'll check it out tonight.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 08:14:52 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
I've got it as well....but I am kind of busy right now with other stuff...   :wink:

grrrrrr...... :evil:

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 08:18:02 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

You know that VH1 show "Best Week Ever"? Hetz should totally be in the next episode.  biggrin
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 08:41:59 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"
Quote from: "farley2k"

You know that VH1 show "Best Week Ever"? Hetz should totally be in the next episode.  biggrin

The whole show should be centered around the lucky bastard smile
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 09:37:24 PM »

I have mine and can't wait to get home and binge!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 09:50:25 PM »

Got it, but I'm only going to be able to play for an hour or so before I have to leave for work.  frown

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 10:15:42 PM »

Got it this afternoon but haven't even been able to take it out of the bag.  I'll definitely fire it up when I get home from class.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 11:18:30 PM »

I just endured the ten-block here-and-back walk through the hellishly cold Chicagoland area to get my DQ8 copy today.  I also failed a Will save against Mario Kart DS, but succeeded against Magna Carta.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 11:52:39 PM »

Quickie impressions, I'm not even past the first quest:
    [*]I love love love the way you travel in the outside world.  There's no little minimap in the corner, so you actually get to explore.  I think it's a great way to make you feel less on rails.
    [*]I like the visuals very much.  The characters and enemies seem nicely detailed, and the animations are especially good.  Attacking, enemy abilities, even sheathing your sword--it all looks great so far.
    [*]The game is hard.  I hear it's easier than other Dragon Warrior games, which are supposedly really hard, but this is the first time I've played a Dragon Warrior.  It's entirely doable at this early point in the game, I was just surprised that I had to spend time wandering around levelling up in random battles before being able to complete the very first mission.
    [*]I love the enemies.  I'm guessing these crazy creative critters are a staple for the series, but this is my first time meeting a Bunnicorn (bunny with a horn) and I thought he was hilarious.  I haven't even beaten the first boss yet, and I've already seen a very wide variety of monsters.[/list]
    Big thumbs up so far.  I'd write more, but I'd rather get back to the game. :)
    Scott

View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 12:00:05 AM »

This has random enemy encounters right?  Do they appear on the outside world map?  How is the frequency of the encounters?

---
    XBox Live: ScottW
    Kevin Grey
    Global Moderator

View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 12:07:25 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"
    This has random enemy encounters right?  Do they appear on the outside world map?  How is the frequency of the encounters?

Encounters are random and, no, they do not appear on the outside world.  Frequency is very nice (ie relatively low)- at least in the area outside the first town.  

I agree with all of wonderpug's comments- just two hours in and I'm enchanted.  Just wonderfully polished all around.  Special attention to the voice work and music, both of which are incredible.  

My only nitpicks (and you can tell I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here):

-Noise that text makes as it scrolls across the screen is slightly annoying and no way to turn it off.
    -No option to disable subtitles- I find text bubbles distracting during the voiced scenes (this applies to all games that use this mechanic).
    Dante Rising

View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 01:50:21 AM »

I enjoyed the demo, but was rather disappointed at the rather generic environments. It really reminded me a somewhat stripped down Dark Cloud 2, at least in the city environments. Combat was wonderfully fun, and some of the enemies are absolutely hilarious. Your party is also a very eclectic and motley crew, which makes the game even more entertaining.

--Battles are random, but littered around the map are slightly harder enemies that are walking around and can be avoided. If you get too close to them they will chase you and attempt to initiate combat.

--Random battles take place about every 10 seconds, but the enemies have enough oddities to them that the combat is rarely boring. Some enemies fall asleep during battle, others (cats) lick themselves clean and thus lose a turn, still others attempt to cast magic but can't remeber the correct spell or don't have enough magic points.

--One thing I love is that it is relatively easy to flee from just about any combat, although sometimes the enemies will stop your retreat and then get a free attack. Considering that you are probably fleeing because your party is battered, it is still hazardous to take a chance at leaving a battle.

--Like Baldur's gate: Dark Alliance you can buy items that instantly teleport you back to town. This makes saving relatively painless. (Although scrolls don't work in caves. I found this out the hard way...)

--The game oozes charm. The character interaction is witty and the game is littered with wonderfully entertaining details. For example, if a party member dies in combat and is not revived before the next battle, you will see the remaining party members fighting next to a casket.

***Mild Spoiler***

The very first boss I encountered (crystal ball quest) whipped my characters in three hits. It seemed unbalanced in combination with all of the battles that had taken place up to that point. I'm assuming its one of those things where they expect you to wander around for a few hours gathering levels before venturing further.
    Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 02:50:57 AM »

The guy that gives me discounts on everything doesn't work till tomorrow, so I decided to save some cash and wait until then frown
    Ragnarok

View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 03:19:28 AM »

I picked it up after work today.  All sounds good so far!  Going to go play until I pass out now... drool
    EddieA

View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 08:38:32 AM »

I've been a Dragon Quest (Warrior) fan since the first game, and have had a big, dopey smile on my face the whole time I've been playing the game  biggrin It's the perfect blend of old and new, with nostalgic touches like the item illustrations in the manual and the sound effects coupled with absolutely beautitful graphics and music.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
    Nth Power

View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 09:40:51 AM »

I've been trading off between DQ8 and Magna Carta, but I think I'll probably stick with this for the time being even though I'm liking MC too.  

I'll echo the above positive impressions and add that the music and voice acting is superb.  If it stays like that the entire game, it will easily be one of the best in that category.

One thing that made me chuckle was when I tried to use a chimera wing inside the cave.  Not to spoil it, but I wasn't expecting what happened!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
    Qbe

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 12:57:34 PM »

I stayed up until 2 finishing the crystal ball quest, and didn't want to quit.  As has been said already, the voice acting is top-notch, the soundtrack is really great, the graphics are a pleasure to watch and the gameplay itself is really, really fun.  But most of all, the game has charm.  I thought that when I was several hours into Dragon Warrior VII, but this one easily outdoes it.  Dragon Quest VIII bows to and embraces its past history and still steps into the future.

And you have to love the Dancing Devils.  I think they're my favorite so far.
    Dante Rising

View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 01:29:47 PM »

Qbe-

Reagrding that crystal ball quest:

***mild spoilers***

Did you have to run around and level up to beat that boss? When my two party members attempt to take the crstal ball, that boss wipes out my party in three to four hits. One member gets paralyzed, one gets stomped, and then when the other member can finally fight he can't do enough damage to the boss.

My characters were level 5. Is that too low to attampt this mission?
    Lee

View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 01:51:40 PM »

Quote from: "Dante Rising"
    Qbe-

Reagrding that crystal ball quest:

***mild spoilers***

Did you have to run around and level up to beat that boss? When my two party members attempt to take the crstal ball, that boss wipes out my party in three to four hits. One member gets paralyzed, one gets stomped, and then when the other member can finally fight he can't do enough damage to the boss.

My characters were level 5. Is that too low to attampt this mission?

More slight spoilers.

I beat him pretty easily at level 6. With my Hero healing, and whathisname hitting hard, it wasn't even close. Have you been upgrading your equipment? Also make sure you have lots of herbs or mps.
    Qbe

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #24 on: November 17, 2005, 03:29:14 PM »

My guys were level 6 when I beat him.   I had done a little bit of running around and exploring, then

MICRO SPOILER

ran up to the top of the waterfall cave mountain and visited the guy who lives on top.  After that I got wiped out in the waterfall cave.  I went out and did the waterfall guy's quest and then returned to town, stocked up on herbs and did the cave again.  By using Psyche Up every turn and healing when anyone took any damage, I beat him easily at level 6.
    Reed
    Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #25 on: November 17, 2005, 05:30:11 PM »

Quote from: "Qbe"

Ha, yeah. Has their dancing rubbed off on any of your characters in battle yet? It happened to me once last night, great stuff.
    Qbe

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #26 on: November 17, 2005, 05:38:41 PM »

Quote from: "Reed"
    Quote from: "Qbe"

Ha, yeah. Has their dancing rubbed off on any of your characters in battle yet? It happened to me once last night, great stuff.

The very first time I encountered them, they got my main character to dance and I laughed out loud.  Ok, it was also 1:30 in the morning, but it was still funny.  I think I like Yangus' dancing better, though.  The expression on his face is priceless.
    Qbe

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #27 on: November 17, 2005, 05:44:55 PM »

I also liked it that the game got right to the point.  I made some Pop-Tarts to eat during the obligatory 15-minute opening cutscene...and there was no such thing!
    rrmorton

View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: November 17, 2005, 05:51:18 PM »

I played it a while late last night and thought it was superb. I've never played any other games in the series (in general my console RPG experience is very slight) but this really looks like a winner.
    Lee

View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: November 17, 2005, 07:18:00 PM »

Psych ups seem pointless. After psyching up once, and attacking on the next turn my attacks always seem to do double damage. As in the same total damage as if you attack normally each turn.
    Farscry

View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: November 17, 2005, 07:44:30 PM »

That's why you're supposed to psych up more than once if you intend to take advantage of it.  Read the instruction manual.  slywink

EddieA

View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: November 17, 2005, 08:07:00 PM »

The usefulness of Psych Up depends on the enemy.  Sometimes, it will only do double damage, but against some enemies, it does much more.  I think it has to do with the armor rating of the enemy.  In DQ games, rather than doing double damage, it seems like critical hits ignore the enemy's armor, and I think Psych Up works similarly.  In the demo, fighting the armored birds, my normal damage was very low, so I Psyched Up, and my damage went way up.  I think the damage also goes up exponentially as you psych up more, with the tradeoff of not being able to take another action with the character without resetting tension to normal.

Kevin Grey
    Global Moderator

View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: November 17, 2005, 09:27:13 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
    The usefulness of Psych Up depends on the enemy.  Sometimes, it will only do double damage, but against some enemies, it does much more.

Yeah, on Fire Sprites (or whatever they are called) I was only doing about 5 damage in a single hit but if I psyched up one turn then I would do 30 damage!  And psyching up multiple turns is really essential for the tougher enemies in the game.

As for what level I beat the waterfall cave at- my party was Level 7 and it was a breeze.  

What I love about DQ8 is that building up experience isn't really grinding.  In most console RPGs I'd be doing circuits on a faceless overworld waiting for random encounters.  With DQ8 I'm motivated to explore the country-side and the level gaining is a natural by product of it.

Can't say enough great things about this game- I was up until 1am playing it last night (had to get up at 5am) and made it to the second "dungeon" which was finding  pretty challenging.  I've already had characters die more in this game than in the entirety of most other RPGs I've played.
    wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: November 17, 2005, 09:35:48 PM »

When you psych up, your tension raises by 5, then 20, and then 50.  That last psych up also puts you in "high tension," which means big damage.

Besides the extra damage, I've encountered an enemy that's more dangerous every other time they get hit.  I'll get injured more if I hit him twice, I'm better off hitting him in one smack on the 2nd turn.
    Kevin Grey
    Global Moderator

View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: November 22, 2005, 02:57:48 AM »

Played about 25 hours or so and my gut feeling is that this will be my GOTY.

The game just gets better as it goes along.  While the macro plot isn't much, the mini-stories that you encounter in each town are very well done.  The localization, in particular, is probably one of the best I've ever encountered.

One tip that made a HUGE difference to me was to rely more on AI Tactics in fights.  I was finding some of the world exploration to be a drag due to over abundance of fights that presented little challenge (I'm probably over-leveled for the areas I've been) but sill required too many button presses.  Putting pretty much all of my party on different AI Tactics has made a world of difference.  Battles are much, much quicker now and the AI seems to do a really good job at deciding what spells and attacks to use.

And there is one fundamental advantage with using the AI- it will react during the turn to what the enemies are doing, something you can't do when you direct each follower's actions.

If I had any criticism so far its that the world is just a bit too barren for its size.  I'd really like to find more out of the way rewards (other than just chests) for exploration like the house on top of the waterfall in the first area.  

However that has been mitigated since gaining the world map (which shows significant places in the area) and doing the Tactics setting I mentioned above which has made combats no longer an annoyance while exploring.

Oh, yeah, DQ8 has probably the best soundtrack I've heard in years.
    Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: November 22, 2005, 05:19:49 AM »

Wow awesome impressions Kevin. If you can believe it for a game I was so hyped up about, I still have not found the time to start it up. Hearing your impressions certainly makes me want to get on it chop chop though smile
    Kevin Grey
    Global Moderator

View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: November 22, 2005, 06:16:01 AM »

Heh, I thought you were being rather quite about it smile
    Nth Power

View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: November 22, 2005, 10:51:34 AM »

I agree with you Kevin, I'm about 20 hours in and so far it's my GOTY.   I literally can't wait to get home from work to play.  That hasn't happened to me in a looonnng time.  

There's so much good stuff to love it's hard to complain about anything!   I thought the music and voice acting were terrific from the get-go and 20 hours later it's still some of the best I've heard in a game.  It really elevates the game to another level.

Usually I start getting bored at the umpteenth random battle, but in DQ8 it really is fun.  There are so many options available and many of the fights require at least a little strategy unless you want to make frequent trips back to town.

The only nitpick is the frequent load times.  They aren't long, but there are a lot of them.  
    I guess the overland map could use a little something too.  Is there a way to move it around?  Sometimes the zoom in is too close and the zoom out is too far.

Kevin Grey
    Global Moderator

View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: November 22, 2005, 12:33:26 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
    The only nitpick is the frequent load times.  They aren't long, but there are a lot of them.  
    I guess the overland map could use a little something too.  Is there a way to move it around?  Sometimes the zoom in is too close and the zoom out is too far.

HD Loader, baby.  Load times are pretty much nil.

As to the map- yeah, I don't think there is any way to pan it or zoom to anything but the two preselected zoom levels.
    Farscry

View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: November 22, 2005, 09:06:36 PM »

I'm just over 17 hours in and absolutely loving it too; makes me feel like a kid again!  Same as you guys, I can't wait to get home from work just to play it.  I can't remember the last game I sunk this much time into this quickly!

Everything about it just works.  smile

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to: