http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 02:25:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Cooperative (with AI) FPS games out there?  (Read 1568 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2004, 08:52:38 PM »

Anyone else wanting to play a game where you are a soldier, set in something like the Starship Troopers universe - where you and your comrades must defend an outpost from an overwhelming number of enemy bugs?

Just thinking of this because I remember there was a mod planned for Quake 2 called Starship troopers. It was supposed to be both online and offline play (filling in with AI bots) and you were part of a squad going up against huge numbers of bug monsters. All the maps were objective based and required heavy teamwork.
It's a shame it got cancelled.

There was another FPS game planned, can't remember the name - but it also got cancelled. It was you and a small squad of space marines going around fighting aliens.
Looked and sounded similiar to Space Hulk: Veangeance of the Blood Angels. (Anyone remember this game? PERFECT cooperative game! You get up to 9 AI-controlled squadmates and in the beginning the AI was the commander telling you and the other squad what to do. Of course, the graphics are way outdated now. But like nintendo says, graphics don't count!)

Just really bored and in need of a new game. I'm not too interested in the world war 2 types of games. Played a few of their demos, just didn't catch my interest.
Something like Starship Troopers or Space Hulk would be interesting.

Any suggestions?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 09:00:58 PM »

I haven't played it but the new Tribes game sounds like a possibility.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 09:18:19 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

Tribes Vengeance does not have bots. Humans only.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 10:27:35 PM »

Quote from: "PaulBot"
Quote from: "warning"

Tribes Vengeance does not have bots. Humans only.

I thought the single-player game paired you up with AI teammates.  At least the single-player demo had you playing on a team.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 12:19:04 AM »

i was going to suggest hidden and dangerous 2 with the expansion, but you said no ww2, so i won't suggest you play it, or anything like that.

there are not many games like this these days.  it's really too bad too.  remember a game called zero g troopers.  full range of motion and ship combat with friends.  it quietly fell off the radar a few years ago, although i have seen something like it in a 3d demo.  

you could try the alien swarm mod for ut2k4. it's more aliens than starship troopers, but it's got coop.

Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 06:23:35 AM »

Yeah WWII games are a dime a dozen.  I've barely played any in recent years and I'm already sick of them.  Please, no more WWII!!!

Who reads these anyway?
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 02:58:54 PM »

Freedom Fighters?  Doesn't that give you some squaddies to help?

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 03:15:29 PM »

Rainbow Six 3: Gold edition  and Ghost Recon  (Ghost Recon 2 next March):

I believe these games will fit the bill.  They are modern squad combat games.  R6 is very much a close quarters combat game, most focusing on indoor missions (though there are outdoor maps and settings).  The engagement ranges on R6 are very in close, and the tactics are are SWAT methods.

Ghost Recon (and it's sequel) is a more military set game, with a longer engagement range.  It is much more military focussed, but the AI isn't quite as annoying.

Both games have their good and bad points, and I think you'll get various responses from Forumites here on it, but they are the games I go back to when I want a slower paced, squard based FPS.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
redman5427
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 05:16:19 PM »

i just got Black Hawk down and the add-on and am really enjoying it. plays well, patched good and there are a million maps made for it including single player. I love blowing up all the enemy vehicles, explosions and carnage are great!
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 05:33:19 PM »

Freedom Fighters was an awesome, while not quite a FPS, game. Played through the entire campaign on the playstation 2 version. Very nice work.

Can't really get use to those military shooters though (especially set in WWII, so many of them as Scuba said) Ghost Recon, at least the first one I played, was too complicated for a FPS. Having to "preset" your orders, and do all that nonsense before the mission didn't make it very fun. Maybe the newest Ghost Recon games change that but not sure, just never got hooked.
Quake Cooperative with the Zeus bot was pretty good. Or Star Trek Elite Force (1 & 2) is another one. Devastation also. ($4.99 at your local EB Games! Great game based on the unreal engine.)
The one or two missions in Unreal 2 where you had squadmates with you, especially the base you had to defend and had 4 defenders.

Tribes Veangeance seems like an interesting game but it's hard to support a game when the company says "We didn't release a bot because we didn't think it would be good enough." (Gee, thanks!) And on the forum they say there will be a bot for Tribes Veagenace - just not by the people who were paid to make the game, but by a customer who bought the game and works on their own time for free. Leave it to the community to release a bot, right? Save yourself the hassle of having to pay an extra AI programmer.

Black Hawk Down was one of the few decent military shooters, IMO. Still nothing like the games set in a more fantasy/scifi type of setting.

Thanks for the tips though Dreamshadow, they sound perfect, if it was just set in a scifi world instead of the typical military shooter.

Caine, that was exactly the game I was thinking of. Zero G marines. Looked and sounded perfect. Real shame they cancelled it.
Here's a pic from the game that could and should have been

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 08:12:24 AM »

i have to admit though, the game was not all that hot looking, but of course this was ~3 years ago.  i never saw pics, just read about it.  the premise made the game seem pretty cool.  if it was more along the lines of space hulk or aliens, it would have rocked.  hell, if they modded alien swarm for a fps instead of the top down, it would be perfect.  a lot of the tension is lot with the top down view, imho.  still great though.

there was an older game i recall with coop through missions.  semi-futuristic.  codename outbreak.  it's actually the virtual precursor to stalker, although the coop has been gone from that game for quite some time.  

if your'e looking for a more conventional fps with squad mates, try vietcong.  there are some great moments in that game and it's got coop against the ai too.  we have played that exclusively at our last few lan parties.  good chance that we'll end up playing that at the next one too.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 12:45:27 PM »

corruptrelic,

If you have access to an Xbox, I would highly suggest Ghost Recon 2. The console version is a highly streamlined and generally simplified version of Ghost Recon. It's excellent if you prefer a simpler experience. I loved the first Ghost Recon games, and I love this one too. It's still GR, it's just has some simpler qualities to it.

There are few actual details available on the PC version. I'm honestly hoping Ghost Recon 2 on the PC will return to the use of the Strategic map and the other commands that made it so deep and enjoyable. While this would kind of ruin any chances of you enjoying the game, it would give me the ability to play GR2 either the old-style more in-depth way, or the new streamlined way. That's a choice I would definitely like to have all the time.

If you don't have an Xbox, I don't have any other suggestions for you past the already metioned Freedom Fighters, which you've apparantly already played. That's about it for games of that style that came out recently.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 02:06:20 PM »

Operation Flashpoint

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 02:19:51 PM »

Operation Flashpoint

I'll second that.

It's a bit dated now, but it's still my favorite tactical shooter.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2004, 02:56:02 PM »

Or......

Buy an xbox with both halo-titles. They're split screen cooperative only, but they're aboslutely a blast to play!

Or how about digging up an old copy of Doom2?

Or Serious Sam?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: