http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 02:11:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Call of Juarez BiB impressions?  (Read 1192 times)
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2009, 03:43:52 PM »

Just curious if anyone had any impressions. Was thinking about picking this up.

Thanks,

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Simon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 03:57:34 PM »

It got a decent review from Gamespot. I played the first one for a bit but lost interest in it pretty quickly. I'm curious to try this one now.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 05:37:02 PM »

For single player gunplay, this is, in my honest opinion, the best there is by far on the 360.  This post is gonna be all about single player, cause multi is a lil different...

The aiming is smooth and pretty easy, not laborious like some games.  But, it's also different from every other game i've played.  You do get some small assist though.  When enemies get close you get some auto aim assist, but it doesn't move your whole view, your view stays very smooth and where you expect it based on your moves but the crosshair may auto-move slightly to be on target.  This only happens with close range gunfights though.  You won't have any frustrating experiences with auto aim screwing your ass at long range, you'll remain in full control there with no assist.  The net effect of the auto aim is it really keeps you from having any frustrating experiences in close range battles in single player and allows you to feel badass.  Every time it's happened to me i've been like..."damn..that was freaking cool".

The graphics, modeling, animation, and voice work are so good that it really feels cinematic even though it's really just a shooter with you in full control.

This game has the BEST duck n cover mechanics i have ever seen in a shooter.  It's fully automatic.  You simply move up to a 3 foot wall for example and the game will automatically cause your character to duck down into cover against it very smoothly without feeling like you're giving up any control at all.  You'll be in a position of peeking over the wall and as you aim with your guns your view automatically moves as your character ducks further into cover or peeks up over the cover more to aim down.  It keeps you with a good view around your cursor while also making you feel like you're really dynamically using cover.  Same for corners and crates and anything really.  It's totally automatic, but at the same time feels way better than any other cover mechanic i've ever experienced cause you stay in precise full control.

So, anyhow, dunno how else to explain it...this game takes the whole shooter genre to a new level in my honest opinion.  I've freaking LOVE to see CoD: Modern Warfare 2 with this cover mechanic and feel.

The game's sound is awesome, the sound effects for all the guns are well done, the voice acting is totally top notch for gaming.  No complaints at all, i think it's really good.  The storytelling and cutscenes are truely excellent and missing from so many otherwise great games in recent years.  I love that these guys take the time to really tell a story in between acts.

You also get to choose, other than the intro mission, which character you want to play in each mission.  The two gunplay brothers are different in their specialities and weapon options.  They play differently and they're both equally fun to me.

The boss battles are duels but with a totally different mechanic from the first game.  That part will frustrate some people but i'm getting used to it and winning without too much trouble now.

There has so far, through the first 4 missions, been nothing frustrating like the stupid stealth missions every other mission in the original, thank goodness not as i'd have thrown a huge fit if there was.  This game's all about the wild west gun play.

Weapons are similar to the 1st game, but upgrades aren't just found in the street anymore, for the most part.  You will occasionally come across a nicer weapon in the course of the game if you look around a lot, but enemies now frequently drop their money pouches when they die, and you can find larger money bags in people's chests in houses and stuff sometimes too and sometimes just around camps or whatnot.  Collect the cash as you go and you'll come across, in some missions, and between others, firearm shops where you can buy the good weapons and different weapons as permanent character upgrades and also restock yourself on certani types of ammo if you're short on anything.

I highly recommend this game as a single player experience, it's absolutely excellent.  I'm certain i'll play through it several times.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »

Regarding multiplayer i have mixed impressions so far.

Sniping is way too easy and snipers will frustrate the hell outta you in this game.

Aside from snipers, it seems fairly well balanced.  Sniping was just not really a big thing in the civil war and i'm disgusted they made such incredibly accurate, easy to use, and powerful sniper rifles a big part of multiplayer in this game.

secondly, so far i've had a lot of bad connectivity problems.  I don't think this is me as i havn't been having any other connectivity issues lately, but i can't guarantee that.  I've found some good quality matches though, for some reason it seems to go to crap with more than 8 people in the game unless the host is on a really good connection, which sucks cause 12 player games can make a lot more cash.

When the connection is good, and the snipers are in the closet, this game is damn good in multipalyer and has a couple VERY fun multiplayer modes that aren't typical.

Legends of the west allows two teams to play a multiple objective based wild west legend scenario, there's a good half dozen included.

Wanted is two teams where one person on each team is randomly(?) assigned the status of "wanted" and his team has to help keep him alive for a full minute to score a point.  Once the wanted dies or scores the other team gets a shot and the roles are constantly reversed throughout the game.  Intense fun!

If you're in it for the multiplayer, definitely rent first, see how your connections hold up and whether the snipers frustrate you too much.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 06:33:01 PM »

How familiar do you have to be with the first game?  I only got about halfway through it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 06:37:06 PM »

Not at all...this is a prequel...Story completely independent.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 07:28:54 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on July 02, 2009, 06:37:06 PM

Not at all...this is a prequel...Story completely independent.

I'd heard it's a prequel, but I'd also heard that it does tie into the original.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »

It ties in...but you don't have to know the origional story to have a lot of fun with the prequel story.

In fact, the original would make more sense playing it after the prequel. But i dont recommend that cause the prequel is a FAR better game.

BTW Guys, here's a player's (just a forum poster from another place) review of multiplayer which i agree with completely.  It's good and bad, but in the end...i'll be playing it a good long while cause most maps and several game modes are a heck of a lot of fun.

http://forums.xbox.com/27848294/ShowPost.aspx

I unlocked the gunsmith as my first unlock, next i'm going for the officer at 50,000$  If you can get a good wanted match going, you can make 5 grand a match or more, i think i reached 9 grand on one of my earliest matches of manhunt using the gunslinger.

I think the officer will fit my style of medium range handgun fighting best.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 07:38:40 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 08:06:36 PM »

Good to hear that the MP may hold promise, since the SP campaign sounds weak. No demo I assume? I haven't seen one.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 11:11:01 PM »

I disagree with the SP campaign being weak...

That was kinda the gist of my review is that the Single player is very strong..but opinions will differ i guess
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 11:30:32 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on July 02, 2009, 11:11:01 PM

That was kinda the gist of my review is that the Single player is very strong..but opinions will differ i guess

The Gamestop review said seven hours, even doing all the side missions, and it sounded too much like COD4 or CODWaW where the missions are on very tightly scripted. I'd be happy to hear that they are not. I guess Red Faction Guerrilla has spoiled me for SP campaigns by giving me lots of choices at any time.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 11:34:13 PM »

Thanks for your writeup, Fuzzball. I'm now adding it to my "to get eventually" list.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 12:13:29 AM »

Very glad to hear these positive comments about the SP as that is all I am interested in.  Still could never convince me to pay $65 for it, but I too will grab this some day.  Really looking forward to it.  Some SP campaigns are so compelling for me that I can literally play them through forever and not get bored.  A handful have done that and I am always looking for the next one to do that.  Here's hoping this might be one...

I am Xboxalot on Live.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 02:04:00 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on July 02, 2009, 11:30:32 PM

Quote from: Fuzzballx on July 02, 2009, 11:11:01 PM

The Gamestop review said seven hours, even doing all the side missions, and it sounded too much like COD4 or CODWaW where the missions are on very tightly scripted. I'd be happy to hear that they are not. I guess Red Faction Guerrilla has spoiled me for SP campaigns by giving me lots of choices at any time.

The Gametrailers review said that while most of the missions are linear, there are a few open levels that let you wander around and take side missions.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 06:33:29 PM »

I just finished up the single player campaign and I really enjoyed it a lot.  It's not a perfect game, but its well done and quite enjoyable.  A lot of it is 'linear and scripted' but its well done.  I loved the open world of Red Faction: Guerilla as well, but I went into this game with different expectations and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 04:19:19 PM »

I decided to route out my copy of CoJ 1.  Glad I did, too, 'cause there were only a couple of hours left to play through.  Damn, those Billy missions were annoying, between the irritating v/o work and the ill-conceived platforming, but it was a decent story and fun to play apart from the bumps.

And the story is more tied to BiB than I thought. I'm sure you can play the prequel without playing the first one, but they are connected.

I've only done the first level of BiB, but it's already a clear improvement on the first game.  The explosions are really great, IMO.  One weird bit:  Does holding the run button down actually speed you up?  It looks like it just adds a flailing arm animation.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 08:00:51 PM »

The original's story starts many years after the end of the prequel's.

In the original, you play the role of the Brother Ray after a long time has passed.  The only real info you're given at the start of the original is that he's a preacher who used to use his guns a lot in the past but put em away and became a preacher hoping to never use a gun again but then through a series of unfortunate events and dumbass mob like people, is forced to take them back out to save someone he believes he is bound to help out of some deep shit.

The prequel has all 3 brothers, even though only the one is in the original game.  And the prequel tells the story of how things got to that point where Ray is an old preacher with regrets about some dark past.

Using the run button definitely speeds things up, but Ray runs a lot slower than Thomas, it's one of the differences between the two.

Even at 7 hours, i found the single player well worthwhile and am replaying it now making sure i've played each chapter with each character since there is achievements for doing all chapters with each character.

I'm still very much into multiplayer as well, but just make sure you don't use quick match, use custom and choose a host that's got green connection to you, or your game will suck.  If you get a connection warning in the pre-match practice, leave and find another host before the match starts.

There are no dedicated servers and apparently lots of folks hosting matches have suckass connections, it doesn't pick the best connection in the room for host, it lets the guy who created the room host.

This puts a damper on multi, but if you're patient and pick rooms with good hosts you'll be alright and have fun with it.  I have all but 1 class unlocked now i believe, the scout, and i'll get him soon and get those related achievements.

The classes are pretty different in how they play.

Still say the sniper rifles nearly ruin the game, that and the heavy rifle of the veteran...yeuck on balance.  But its only nearly, you can get around it if you're good and they're not using a XIM2 Keyboard and Mouse mod to aim the heavy rifle.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:08:05 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: