http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 12:21:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any bots out there for Doom 3 or Half Life 2 yet?  (Read 1452 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2004, 06:51:30 AM »

It's a shame that neither ID or Valve included an official bot with their latest games. The same guy who made the bot for Quake 3 (and also the Gladiator bot for Quake 2) was one of the programmers for Doom 3 in the credits section. Maybe he just did the enemy AI, but I thought he would be the first to try to get bot support into the game.
And half-life 2.. even CS:Source that have been claiming to get the official CS bot in there sometime in the next millenium - still has no official bot. The original Half-Life took off with bots with dozens of third party bots, for all types of mods, and of course regular deathmatch and teamplay modes. The Jumbot, HPC Bot, Abot, JoeBot, Phineas Bot, Foxbot, there are just too many to name.
What happened to the bot craze that once was?

While I love playing online I still and always will enjoy bots and AI in offline games. I used to be one of the webmasters on www.botepidemic.com (now gone) so maybe that's one reason, but in the good old days we had so many bots out there.. now with the newest games, the only FPS that has them (as far as I know) is Unreal Tournament 2004. Leave it to Epic to keep providing their customers with a good singleplayer experience. Then again their AI programmer is none other than Steven Polge, creator of the Reaper bot for the original Quake.

Anyway went a bit off topic there.. but back to the point, anyone know if there are, or are any in development, bots for Doom 3 or Half Life 2?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Bulletproof
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 06:35:19 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly. There are days when you just want to play for a few minutes and not have to worry about finding a decent server.

The one game that I play with bots quite frequently anymore is battlefield vietnam. The bots are terribly stupid, but you can load em up into overwhelming numbers. I love facing overwhelming odds....

Here's to more bots in games!!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 10:06:58 PM »

CS Source does have bots.

Create a server, then type bot_add in the console.

Enjoy.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 03:34:58 PM »

Forgot about Battlefield Vietnam slywink The bots do suck but at least they are there, right? IMO it's better to have a stupid bot than no bot at all. At least it's some target practice for offline practice.
Not to mention the bots in both Battlefield games use all vehicles. I've seen them get stuck sometimes in BF Vietnam though especially while in a jeep. They get 3 passengers and just sit there in the jeep until an enemy plane comes and bombs them. I think the bot AI took a fall in BF Vietnam compared to BF 1942.

That's interesting about adding bots to Counter-Strike, does it really work? That can't be official because according to Michael Booth (the programmer for the CS:S bots) they are still working on the bots. That was a week or so ago though.. maybe I just missed the announcement that bot support was finally added?
If that's the case it would tempt me to buy Half-Life 2. I bought Doom 3 and with no bots, I chose not to support Half-Life 2 knowing full well that Valve woudn't include any bots with it.
The exception is the official CS bot, which is being designed by a third party anyway.
Do you need to be online to start a server and add bots? If that's the "unofficial" way of adding bots, are they any good?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 10:29:36 PM »

The bots are in there, the main problem is that they're stupid and haven't been "humanized."

Basically, they have some pathing issues so they'll get stuck in places or wander aimlessly on certain maps.  Also they'll shoot with either ungodly accuracy, or like they're deliberately missing.

I figure the current bot code is whatever was left in at release, it's still playable, but sometimes you have to use the round restart command.
da Toad
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 03:57:24 AM »

CS: Sourse does not currently have bot support. the add_bot commands just return an error. Valve states that they will be added "soon". Stragely enough the pirated version of HL2 seems to have functional bot support. Go figure...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: