http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 01:43:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another XBox 360 bites the dust  (Read 2193 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2007, 06:36:50 PM »

Can someone make a running tally for this forum?

I thought I was safe, I made it past 6 months on the machine, I figured I might just get by without having the machine die on me. Of course I have no idea what to attribute it to, but everything was perfectly fine until I downloaded the Spring Update. So I am off to call Customer Support.

I do have a question though. Should I hold onto my Hard drive? I don't want to have to download a bunch of stuff again, and I am pretty sure they don't send back your machine. Just wanted to make sure on that regard.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 06:42:14 PM »

Bummer.

They told me to hold on to my hard drive when I sent mine in.  If they don't send you back the same unit then they will automatically switch the serial # of all of your purchased content over to the new one.  They ended up sending me a newer replacement and my account was updated to the new machine by the time it arrived.

Mine was literally a week's turnaround from the time I sent it to the time I received my replacement.  Good luck!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 06:56:50 PM »

for all the bad stories I read about Microsoft's customer service line, I was taken care of in minutes, there was no ESL barrier  icon_wink and I should getting my coffin on Wednesday. "Paul" in customer service was great and understanding. Very sympathetic to the plight of the Red Rings of Death.

This sucks, and it has really made me conscious of buying a lot of games for the machine. If I can't rely on it, or if they are going to crap out every six months. When it works the 360 is a great all around machine, and the controller is clearly the best conventional controller I've used, but the QA on the actual hardware blows, and we shouldn't be subjected to this crap.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 07:42:47 PM »

Yeah to be honest, even though MS was really good about the whole return thing, my eventually returning 360 is definitely going to be my secondary system.  If it's cross platform, it will be played on the PS3.  It just scares me that the 360 is so fragile.

gellar
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 08:02:52 PM »

That's sad to hear.  It shows nobody is safe.  I keep thinking that mine has been working great for so long after I had my initial one replaced (not due to red rings but because of another issue) and I just keep waiting for the bomb to drop.  Sometimes it seems like it is only a matter of time.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 08:44:05 PM »

I am sorry to hear that.  The 360 is my favorite console of all time.  But the reliability issues make me hesitate to recommend the console to people I know who are considering buying a next gen system. The red rings of death are in the back of my mind everytime I turn on a 360 or download an update. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 08:50:25 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on May 12, 2007, 06:36:50 PM

Can someone make a running tally for this forum?

I thought I was safe, I made it past 6 months on the machine, I figured I might just get by without having the machine die on me. Of course I have no idea what to attribute it to, but everything was perfectly fine until I downloaded the Spring Update. So I am off to call Customer Support.

I do have a question though. Should I hold onto my Hard drive? I don't want to have to download a bunch of stuff again, and I am pretty sure they don't send back your machine. Just wanted to make sure on that regard.

Don't send anything back but the unit itself.  No hard drive, no cables, nothing.  You will get nothing back if you do.  Just saw a guy in Gamestop buying a controller, component cables, and a hard drive because he sent his in with the machine.  He called Microsoft and they claimed to know nothing about the extra stuff. 
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 09:19:55 PM »

Like others have said. Only the unit.

And MS had a (not my original) 360 back to me 10 days from start to finish.  I was impressed.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 09:33:03 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 12, 2007, 07:42:47 PM

It just scares me that the 360 is so fragile.

And I thought the PS2 was bad (which could ultimately be fixed with a Phillips screwdriver and a bit of knowledge from the 'net most of the time). But yeah, the 360 is a very fragile little machine. One reason why I don't give mine the attention that it deserves.

I'll also state that you do NOT want to send back anything but the 360. Yeah, you'll always have to be online from here on out in order to play any and all of your downloaded content (unless you call Microsoft and ultimately repurchase and redownload everything), but you won't have to take the chance of not getting any of it back in the end.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 09:53:57 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 12, 2007, 09:33:03 PM

Quote from: gellar on May 12, 2007, 07:42:47 PM

It just scares me that the 360 is so fragile.

And I thought the PS2 was bad (which could ultimately be fixed with a Phillips screwdriver and a bit of knowledge from the 'net most of the time). But yeah, the 360 is a very fragile little machine. One reason why I don't give mine the attention that it deserves.

See that's the funny thing, I had a launch PS2 that I played the hell out of that is STILL alive, while my launch 360 that probably gets 1/2 of the use that PS2 did is sitting at MS.  It's amazing.

gellar
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 10:06:41 PM »

Over a year and going strong!  I live in fear every day!  Ha, just kidding.  I treat mine like crap and it respects me for it. 
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 11:59:37 PM »

Quote from: kathode on May 12, 2007, 10:06:41 PM

Over a year and going strong!  I live in fear every day!  Ha, just kidding.  I treat mine like crap and it respects me for it. 

Ahhh, reverse psychology, I love it...Now where is that bad box, it needs a good foot stompin... paranoid

Grace: Unmerited favor.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 12:19:32 AM »

I need to call MS this week and get a coffin sent my way. My 360 busted about a week ago, but it's out of warranty (I think, can't register it because the previous owner did and it won't let the same serial be registered twice) so it'll cost me $129.99. Oh well, it's less then $700 for a PS3. I'll probably trade the repaired 360 in for an Elite so I can use the HDMI connection.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 12:27:28 AM »

Sucks to hear that T.  I had the same thing happen with the Fall Update, and I haven't had time to play the replacement since I installed the spring update so who knows what I have waiting for me.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 12:47:29 AM »

eek

you huys know where im at with this.

christ...

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 02:05:08 AM »

Why is it that so many people encounter the red rings of death after an update? There has got to be something flawed in this process. I'm holding off on getting a 360 until the 65nm chip based units arrive, but the volatility of the update process causes me concern that even the new SKU won't be immune to this.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 02:18:29 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 13, 2007, 02:05:08 AM

Why is it that so many people encounter the red rings of death after an update?

For the same reason there are so many red ring reports after each new game - just total dumb luck (of a crappily built system).

EDIT: And remember, it could always be worse. Your 360 could drill holes in discs like mine did (and before you ask, no, the 360 wasn't touched at all while it did this):

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 02:31:35 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 03:57:10 AM »

I'll just say...launch 360, no issues.  *knock on wood*

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 04:58:42 AM »

Quote from: Graham on May 13, 2007, 03:57:10 AM

I'll just say...launch 360, no issues.  *knock on wood*

ditto...built 11/6 and first powered up 12/22/05...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 05:03:31 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 09:46:09 AM »

Careful.. dont gloat, your 360 is watching.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 01:06:05 PM »

Every day when I get out of the shower, I wrap my damp towel around it, like you are supposed to do.

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 03:31:05 AM »

Well, just tonight my launch 360 crapped out.  Never had nary a problem, then while playing PGR3 it locked up.  I had to restart it using the button on the unit itself, and it would lock up at the xbox logo and give me 3 quadrants of red.  On the fourth restart it gave me message saying a serious error had occurred and to contact support, with one red quadrant.  UGH!!!  I just barely ordered a wireless router for this thing for crying out loud.  Welp, I'm off to make the call.   icon_evil

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 03:36:13 AM »

Quote from: Interloper on May 15, 2007, 03:31:05 AM

Well, just tonight my launch 360 crapped out.  Never had nary a problem, then while playing PGR3 it locked up.  I had to restart it using the button on the unit itself, and it would lock up at the xbox logo and give me 3 quadrants of red.  On the fourth restart it gave me message saying a serious error had occurred and to contact support, with one red quadrant.  UGH!!!  I just barely ordered a wireless router for this thing for crying out loud.  Welp, I'm off to make the call.   icon_evil
I hope they give you solid service like they did me, and that your coffin arrives fast and your system retrun in an expedited manner!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 04:13:50 AM »

Don't you guys read the front page?  slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 04:26:01 AM »

Meh, coffin is on the way.  Repair cost is $104.93 and it will give me the new extended warranty also. There was a definite language barrier with the CSR.  Oh well, I made it this far with a launch unit, so I guess I'm actually one of the lucky ones.  Unit won't even turn on now, btw.     Roll Eyes

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 05:03:22 AM »

So after 2.5 weeks, I just today got the box from MS to ship mine back in (they originally told me it would take 2-3 days to arrive, and told me this all 4 times I had called them).

I dunno, so far their service is far from stellar....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 08:39:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 15, 2007, 04:13:50 AM

Haven't tried this yet, but if anyone on GT gets this trick to work let me know.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 10:29:51 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on May 15, 2007, 03:36:13 AM

I hope they give you solid service like they did me, and that your coffin arrives fast and your system retrun in an expedited manner!

For what it's worth, the person who answered my first call was extremely nice and seemed very helpful, and I too felt like I was getting solid service.  Until week after week passed with no box arriving, despite their claims that it had been sent and should show up any day now.  When I finally did get a tracking number out of them 2+ weeks later, I found out the box had only shipped the day before.

Don't get me wrong - the service reps on the phone are extremely pleasant to talk to and very willing to help; it's just the speed at which the service has been happening that has left a foul taste in my mouth.

For what it's worth, I shipped mine (fyi also a launch day 360) off this morning - here's hoping I have better luck on this portion.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »

Quote from: Mattc0m on May 15, 2007, 08:39:01 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 15, 2007, 04:13:50 AM

Haven't tried this yet, but if anyone on GT gets this trick to work let me know.

It worked for all of 5 minutes, I got the dashboard to come up, logged into Live, tried to load a demo and it froze up again.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2007, 03:11:15 PM »

I posted this over at OO, but i wanted to get as much input as possible  icon_wink

Over the course of the last 2 weeks, my 360 has begun freezing at random intervals. Last week, it was during the first few minutes of Gears of War (I wanted to finish the single player). After taking out the disc and brushing it off with a camera lens cloth a few times, it started working with no problem.

Then, last night, it started freezing at the opening logo for the 360 itself after i watched a 2 1/2 hour film on it (with no problem, i might add). It consistantly froze up during 5 more reboots at different locations. sometimes it would get to the blades, but most often it was during the 360 logo sequence. i turned it off, used some canned air on it, then cleared the 360 hard drive cache following the instructions that microsoft has on their site for doing so. after that, it worked fine for the 30 minutes i putted around with ith.

when it freezes, it just locks up. no black screen, no red ring of death, nothing. it just freezes on the image it currently is displaying and stays there.

now here's my questions:

1) Anyone else have this issue and did clearing the cache/cleaning it help? i.e. was it heat related do you think?

2) i have the 2 year replacement plan from Best Buy, so i'm not terribly worried about exchanging it. however, would it be worth it to go to the elite? i'd have to pay an extra 80 bucks, then another 80 bucks for the 2 year plan (still cheaper than the 140 bucks microsoft charges per repair on out of warranty boxes). is it more stable than the original 360? i have an hdtv, so i could use the hdmi, but i'm doing fine with the VGA right now.

3) if i end up exchanging it using the BB replacement plan, i'd feel more comfortable exchanging the whole thing...hard drive and all. to that end, i'd pick up a memory unit for the 360. would that cover my bases in getting my save games transferred over to the new unit?

sigh...i had hoped i wouldn't be one of the casualties because mine ran so well for so long.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2007, 04:56:55 PM »

My 360 seems to freeze more now- since the latest dashboard update.

As for clearing the cache, that worked for me for about a week and then I got the RROD.  Not sure if it was related or a whole different issue though.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2007, 05:19:28 PM »

The most frequent cause of these problems is the GPU losing connectivity with the motherboard as the solder cracks or warps over time; that's why the "towel trick" that people implement sometimes works.  Because it prevents heat from escaping, it can re-melt the solder and temporarily reconnect the contact points (until it contracts and loses contact again).  On some of the sites that have taken apart the Elite, you can see that the new manufacturing process focuses on ensuring that the chip'll stay firmly in place.

I am not, of course, endorsing intentional overheating of your Xbox.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2007, 06:04:03 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on May 21, 2007, 05:19:28 PM

On some of the sites that have taken apart the Elite, you can see that the new manufacturing process focuses on ensuring that the chip'll stay firmly in place.

AKA - a shit ton of glue.

gellar
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2007, 06:14:53 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 21, 2007, 06:04:03 PM

Sometimes the simple solutions are the best...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2007, 06:16:26 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on May 21, 2007, 06:14:53 PM

Quote from: gellar on May 21, 2007, 06:04:03 PM

Sometimes the simple solutions are the best...

If it works, absolutely.  I just found it amusing.  I kinda wish they used something funnier though, like c-clamps.

gellar
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2007, 06:29:57 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 21, 2007, 06:16:26 PM

If it works, absolutely.  I just found it amusing.  I kinda wish they used something funnier though, like c-clamps.

Heh.  I'd have lobbied for duct tape, myself.  More geek appropriate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: