http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 02:48:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Steam N00b Question: Updated!  (Read 723 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »

If I buy a game on Steam, does that mean it's been updated to run on modern OS'?

For example, I'm interested in DL'ing Jagged Alliance 2.  Since it's available on steam, does that mean it will run on Win7 or is there some other tomfoolery I would have to go through to get it going?

Is this true of all games on steam? They have been updated and will run without..hackery/replicating outdated OS environs?

Thanks, swamis.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:36:13 PM by ATB » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:19:35 PM »

I think for the most part they are updated to work on the current OS AS OF THE TIME THEY WERE RELEASED TO STEAM. slywink

Meaning that if you bought something released on steam during windows XP, I don't know that it is guaranteed to work on Win 7.

Not 100% sure though.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 12:31:11 AM »

Games support are listed on their page. For the most part, games will work on the most current version of windows, though YMMV.

I've had problems getting Armed and Dangerous working on W8beta. That being said, BETA.... so I don't know if that is the problem.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 01:15:30 AM »

When in doubt, visit the Steam forums of said game. No doubt there will be threads talking about how Game X isn't working in OS Y.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:49:53 AM »

Yeah, I got burned by buying Jedi Knight I. It was built for Win95 and there are all these hoops you have to jump through to get it to work every single time you start it up. Do your homework and you should be fine.

Now, GOG, on the other hand... smile
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:22:21 PM »

Older games on steam are pretty much hit and miss.  Some people have no issues running those games, some people do.  I haven't run into too many issues with them.

I too would recommend GOG for the older games though if available.  Part of their selling point is that older games are set up to run on modern systems with few hassles.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »

So I'm looking at getting shadowrun.  I'd probably play it mostly on my laptop, but I'd like to know:

1. Can I install it on more than one pc?
2. Do saves go to 'the cloud' so that if I play on my laptop and then switch to my home pc  I can pick up where I left off?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 26, 2013, 04:37:24 PM

1. Can I install it on more than one pc?
You can install it on as many PC's as you want, but you can only be logged into Steam playing it on 1 of them at any given time.
2. Do saves go to 'the cloud' so that if I play on my laptop and then switch to my home pc  I can pick up where I left off?
Shadowrun Returns is not a Steam Cloud enabled game. It would be possible to copy the save file from 1 computer to another. To locate the save file you have to actually browse down into your "\Steam\userdata" folder and it will be in a "\remote\saves" folder for one of the numbered folders. It's not hard to identify which of those number folders, because the game uses an "autosave.sav" file name. If stuck you can just do a search for that filename.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 06:10:55 PM »

Does Steam let you change your save folder, or is it always tied to your primary Steam folder?  If you can alter it, using a Dropbox folder would let you do cloud saves even for games without official cloud save support.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 26, 2013, 06:10:55 PM

Does Steam let you change your save folder, or is it always tied to your primary Steam folder?  If you can alter it, using a Dropbox folder would let you do cloud saves even for games without official cloud save support.

Not 100% sure on this, but I think the numbered ID folders under the "\Steam\userdata" folder change from one PC to another. I've never really checked though.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »

It depends on the developer. Some actually point to My Documents - Save Games or somesuch thing.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 07:53:04 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 26, 2013, 07:21:26 PM

It depends on the developer. Some actually point to My Documents - Save Games or somesuch thing.

Much to my surprise, very few of my Steam games have used "My Documents" or "AppData". I know some do, but they seem to be more the exception than the norm.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 03:16:00 AM »

symlink is your friend...

how?  let it install wherever and make a savegame so it's easier to find where the savegames are. 

here's an example.  untested with SRR as I don't have it yet.  Note that the paths below are guesses based on where most of my savegames are, not where it actually resides. 

xcopy /E /V /I /F /Y "C:\Users\username\Documents\my games\Shadow Run" "E:\Dropbox\Savegames\Shadow Run"
cmd /C rd /S /Q "C:\Users\username\Documents\my games\Shadow Run"
cmd /C mklink /J "C:\Users\username\Documents\my games\Shadow Run" "E:\Dropbox\Savegames\Shadow Run"

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »

I feel like such a Newb, I have been using steam off and on for a while now, and just discovered workshop for a couple of my games, I wouldn't even have looked if I didn't see it for Shadowrun..

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: