http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 10:20:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another round of Rainbow Six  (Read 3024 times)
CSL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2007, 10:55:07 PM »

I turned my 360 on for the first time in a month and a half (whee no red rings) to destroy you all in this tonight. The black pack is installed and ready to destroy you!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2007, 11:08:41 PM »

I unfortunately have been "hosed" as it is commonly referred to in my line of work. 

I am currently in Bagdad, Arizona, doing everything in my power to ensure that the scheduled grand opening for the aquatic facility and associated parks we designed and constructed will take place tomorrow for the 4th of July holiday, and up to this point we have been unable to get much cooperation from Yavapai County, who as of this morning was going to deny our ability to open the facility. Either way, it isn't my problem or my company's problem, and at 1pm I was planning to be on the road heading back to Phoenix for a pleasant dinner with my wife, some quality time with my dog, and a quiet evening of relaxation and R6 killing mayhem (with a fair bit of beer mixed in for good measure).

I'm sure most of you noticed the "was planning" in my last statement. Our client called above the inspector's office and did everything he could to schedule an occupancy inspection for this evening and somehow managed to succeed. I was also asked by my coworkers to be present for this inspection. Never in my entire career have I said "no" to any request asking that I sacrifice my own personal time and plans to ensure a project is completed to the best of our ability, and unfortunately I have no plans to start now. So, at 6pm I will be involved in a county inspection of our aquatic facility, which will last anywhere from 2 to 3 hours. Once the inspection is complete, I then have to drive 3 or more hours back to Phoenix. The day before the 4th of July holiday.

All that really means is that I won't be home until close to midnight (pacific time). Fortunately I didn't arrive on-site until around 6am this morning, so this at least won't be the longest day of my life. Close. But not quite.

I really was looking forward to playing with you all, but unfortunately I probably won't get that chance. At least not tonight. Perhaps some other time.

If I'm lucky the inspection may take a little less time, and if so I hope to be home in time to at least get in a few games before it gets too late for most participants.  But, I won't know what my potential attendance will look like until after the inspection is over.  Sometimes I hate taking pride in my work. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2007, 01:20:36 AM »

I'd actually have time to play tonight, but my old controller is dead (right thumbstick stopped working right) and I forgot to grab one on my way home from work.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2007, 02:29:11 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 04, 2007, 01:20:36 AM

I'd actually have time to play tonight, but my old controller is dead (right thumbstick stopped working right) and I forgot to grab one on my way home from work.

You should have backup controllers for that sorta thing.....LOL

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2007, 06:49:34 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on July 04, 2007, 02:29:11 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 04, 2007, 01:20:36 AM

You should have backup controllers for that sorta thing.....LOL

heh, oddly enough I had a wired one that failed in the same week with zero abuse  disgust

Because I can,
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2007, 12:29:29 PM »

Well that was fun last night....sorry I had to bounce...had to be at work at 4 am.....  I am off the rest of the day though so after I get some more sleep I will be back on playin something...can't waste a perfectly good holiday....

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on July 04, 2007, 12:29:29 PM

Well that was fun last night....

Yes, yes it was.  Although I quickly learned just what SensuousLettuce meant about Harkonis.  I definitely died.  A lot.  But it was a blast, and the more I played the better I performed.  A hell of a good time and I look forward to playing with everyone again.

Except for Harkonis. 

( icon_wink)

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2007, 05:13:36 PM »

It wont let me innnnnnnnnn crybaby I have to wait until Fri. to get the free version. Thanks for that heads up Jarrod

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2007, 05:15:50 PM »

You can play if we avoid the red maps.  Try to hook up with us today JD
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2007, 05:41:08 PM »

Would love to play today, but I'll be at work from 4p-midnite central time.  If people are still playing then I'll jump in.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2007, 01:01:13 AM »

anyone else who actuallty bought the red pack kind of annoyed that it's going to be free so soon?  A friend of mine who bought it is pissed right now-  I'm not sure he's ever going to play again  icon_frown

Because I can,
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2007, 01:38:07 AM »

It doesn't really bother me.  I paid for it 3 months ago, and got plenty of play-time out of the maps/modes.  Had they said it would be free in a few months I probably would still have grabbed it then, way too much fun. 

Cheaper than buying a new game as well. 

Pikachu, I Blame you!
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2007, 02:40:25 AM »

I had a blast again and was raising Hell. Even got to kill Harkonis a few times (or help him kill others icon_twisted).

I just hope I get to raise rank soon...frown

Great times, but we need more peeps in.

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2007, 12:37:51 PM »

I'll be on again tonight.  Basically I'll be up for playing pretty much anytime since this is one of the few games that I can't get enough of.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2007, 04:27:39 PM »

Hopefully we will get more traffic when the Red pack goes freebie. 

And when we play game mode "Assassination", and Harkonis ends up being the VIP with a glock, I will have my revenge.....oh yes.....

ninja2

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2007, 05:13:33 PM »

Would have been on last night but I spent an hour and a half talking with a friend after I got done working, and by the time I got home I just went to sleep.  Along with the fact that I checked my friends list before logging out and no one was on at that point.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2007, 05:49:59 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on July 05, 2007, 04:27:39 PM

Hopefully we will get more traffic when the Red pack goes freebie. 

And when we play game mode "Assassination", and Harkonis ends up being the VIP with a glock, I will have my revenge.....oh yes.....

ninja2

Ask SensuousLettuce how that turned out when he made that same assumption.  Go ahead.  It might be the only time you will ever hear ATB use a four-letter word.  Granted, it'll be "dang" or "darn", but four letters nonetheless.  I think that was the last time he ever played R6.  Not only did Harkonis kill ATB's online character, but he killed his spirit and enjoyment of the game as well.  He's that good. 

Anytime we're unable to put together a full-on MP game, I'm more than willing to give terrorist hunt a try again.  I hadn't played the mode at all before because I wasn't sure how much fun it could be, but after playing a few rounds with Kato and kepow, working together, communicating, and utilizing good tactics while working through the map really made for an immersive and entertaining experience.  I really enjoyed it and can't wait to play again.  I'd really like to play again with kepow and Kato as we had fun, communicated well, and I would like to exact our revenge on those pesky tangoes.  It was especially entertaining when after repeated warnings Kato still decided to bum-rush an enemy hiding exactly where I said he was, and we all had the pleasure of watching his corpse slide down the stairs.  Or when I had already been eliminated and was watching kepow's progress, and I was treated to watching him accidentally press "B" to open a door, bounce a grenade off the door, which landed at his feet, and then heard his shouts of surprise as he blew apart.  Good times.  Good times.

So either either of your guys (and anyone else for that matter) would like to play a bit of co-op terrorist hunt, send me an invite whenever I'm online.  I'm finally learning just how much I love this game. 

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2007, 06:23:54 PM »

I have to say killing Hark gives me a sense of satisfaction that it probably really shouldn't.   icon_cool  Probably because it doesn't happen that often.

The combat in R6:V just 'feels' right.  I can't think of any other game that I've played recently that has the same level of control/immersiveness.  When I die 9 out of 10 times I know what I did wrong, and what I need to do differently.  That helps keep my frustration down to managable levels.

Edit: and hearing 'oh crap' or some variation of that over the comms followed by a grenade exploding at someone's feet never gets old.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2007, 06:36:17 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on July 05, 2007, 06:23:54 PM

I have to say killing Hark gives me a sense of satisfaction that it probably really shouldn't.   icon_cool  Probably because it doesn't happen that often.

Same here.  Whenever I manage a Harkonis kill it just feels good.  Probably because most of the time if I'm lucky enough to catch a glimpse of him in my sights, that glimpse is usually brief because I almost always get something in my eye.  A bullet.  I too feel that same excessive sense of satisfaction whenever I stand over his corpse.  But I still appreciate playing with him and there have been times when I've gotten the better of him and really felt like I was being competitive in a match.  And there have also been times when I'm barely able to stay alive long enough to say, "Hey guys, have you seen Hark anywh...<<blam>>.  Nevermind.  Found him."   

The combat in R6:V just 'feels' right.  I can't think of any other game that I've played recently that has the same level of control/immersiveness.  When I die 9 out of 10 times I know what I did wrong, and what I need to do differently.  That helps keep my frustration down to managable levels.

I have to agree.  A sound tactical approach is necessary to survive.  Running in guns blazing will almost certainly get you killed, and I'm also learning that not only are good teamwork and communication important to win matches, but sound weapon selection as well.  I can't say that the game's quality is always enough to keep my frustration down to managable levels (as many of you probably know from my outbursts Tuesday night following a full case of Guinness), but I haven't pulled an ATB and quit outright just yet.  I have too much fun to stop playing and I can understand where I make mistakes and see improvement when I make corrections.  The learning curve is steep, but practice is rewarded with a noticable improvement in play.   

Edit: and hearing 'oh crap' or some variation of that over the comms followed by a grenade exploding at someone's feet never gets old.

Too true.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2007, 08:54:30 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on July 05, 2007, 06:23:54 PM

Yeah but usually it is my own grenade when I do that....kinda like a couple times when I was playing last night....

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2007, 10:03:49 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 05, 2007, 05:49:59 PM

Anytime we're unable to put together a full-on MP game, I'm more than willing to give terrorist hunt a try again.  I hadn't played the mode at all before because I wasn't sure how much fun it could be, but after playing a few rounds with Kato and kepow, working together, communicating, and utilizing good tactics while working through the map really made for an immersive and entertaining experience.  I really enjoyed it and can't wait to play again.  I'd really like to play again with kepow and Kato as we had fun, communicated well, and I would like to exact our revenge on those pesky tangoes.  It was especially entertaining when after repeated warnings Kato still decided to bum-rush an enemy hiding exactly where I said he was, and we all had the pleasure of watching his corpse slide down the stairs.  Or when I had already been eliminated and was watching kepow's progress, and I was treated to watching him accidentally press "B" to open a door, bounce a grenade off the door, which landed at his feet, and then heard his shouts of surprise as he blew apart.  Good times.  Good times.

So either either of your guys (and anyone else for that matter) would like to play a bit of co-op terrorist hunt, send me an invite whenever I'm online.  I'm finally learning just how much I love this game. 

hahhah yeah, that was fun times

I'm definitely up for Terrorist Hunt anytime... especially if we only have a few people online, like less than 5 let's say.  I'd much rather play T-Hunt then, rather than FFA deathmatch or 2v2 team, that's not fun whatsoever

if we have like more than 6 people playing, then that's when I like playing team vs team modes
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2007, 10:16:19 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on July 05, 2007, 10:03:49 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on July 05, 2007, 05:49:59 PM

hahhah yeah, that was fun times

I'm definitely up for Terrorist Hunt anytime... especially if we only have a few people online, like less than 5 let's say.  I'd much rather play T-Hunt then, rather than FFA deathmatch or 2v2 team, that's not fun whatsoever

if we have like more than 6 people playing, then that's when I like playing team vs team modes

Agreed.  2-on-2 was really pushing it, especially when one of the two on a team is Harkonis ( icon_wink).  I like a little more action going on in a game, and with 2-on-2 the action really slows down and it becomes more of a cat-and-mouse game.  It was fun, but after a while I would have preferred working together to hunt down and kill tangos.

I'll keep an eye out for you, and anytime we don't have enough for 3-on-3 or better, terrorist hunt it is.  My friend Snrub1 is anxious to get in on the action, too.  He and I played just the two of us on Tuesday night after the MP action died down and had a lot of fun, but it really was tough with only two of us.  Three seemed to be a good number (at least if we were able to survive long enough).  Anytime I'm online shoot me an invite and I'll try to play (the only times I'm unable to take advantage of invites are when guests are over, or.....well.........I guess just when guests are over).  Otherwise I shouldn't have a problem playing. 

And I have yet to have Kato refuse an invite, so if he's online he's almost always a definite participant.  And even if he doesn't want to play or has other plans, he's weak enough that if you bombard him with invites he'll almost always cave and begrudgingly agree to play.  He's one of the easier ones to pursuade.   icon_wink

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2007, 11:45:36 PM »

I must be the only person who has no fun in the coop modes.  Ever since the first time I saw some terrorists spawn right in front of me out of thin air I haven't liked Thunt.  Then I had some spawn in a closet/small room with no entrance right behind me after I cleared it.  If they spawned at the start of the map and you had to hunt them, I'd love it.  However that's not the case and I just can't stand it. frown My only other problem with it is the fact that you have to completely shut down and restart the server to switch back tot he other game modes since it won't let you change the number of players after you start.

I do agree that the feel of the game is completely different with 4 people than it is with more, but I like the difference.  Most of why I'm as good as I am is because I played a lot of 1v1 and 2v2 to learn how to move stealthily and stalk people and that translates directly into a larger scale game.  The skills you learn in a large game don't scale down the same way the small game skills scale upwards.

I do wish I had a solution to make people play with me that don't want to though, some kind of handicap that might make them more inclined to play without taking all the fun away from myself.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2007, 11:51:56 AM »

Sorry for the no response on the invite, Jarrod.

Oblivion was paused; I worked from about 8pm - 1am (CDT) ... then got up for work at 4:30am retard

I hate www.filenet.com. Grrr.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2007, 02:51:25 PM »

Good communication goes a long way.  We were playing Streets 3v3 against Harkonis and we won almost every time.  I forget who was playing "Commander" but he had 0 kills but was key to our victory.

My suggestion would be to avoid conquest mode with 3v3.  With 3 capture points it mostly becomes a 1v1 match with little teamwork.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2007, 06:02:52 PM »

I'll be online tonight after obedience class and would love to play a bit of R6 MP.  I should be home around 9 or 9:30pm AZ time (same as pacific).  Snrub1 should be online about the same time as well, and he's always up for R6 MP. 

And with the Red pack now being free I'll no longer have limitations as to which game modes or maps I can play.   icon_smile

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2007, 06:27:28 PM »

Purge: No worries man.  I figured you were busy with something.  Heaven knows I've had to pass on an invitation now and again myself.

Harkonis: I don't think the skill gap is as noticeable in the larger games, it is when it gets down to the smaller games where one person can make a huge difference that the gap becomes extremely obvious. 

It does somewhat depend on who is playing and how the teams are set up as well.  There are a number of people who may not be *quite* as good, but they are very good themselves.  Either way, most of the time I don't get too frustrated unless I'm already tired and irritable because of RL.  Screaming in momentary frustration is part of playing games for me.   icon_cool

I figure you know this already, but as much crap as I give you on the boards (and occasionally over team comms) I have nothing but respect for your skills.  Even if you do like that corner spot on Neon Graveyard a bit much for my tastes... because I haven't figured out a good way to punt you out of it playing solo.   icon_lol

Pete:  I should be good for a few rounds at that time tonight.  Not a whole lot more because this weekend is a busy one, and I have to be at work at 8am Saturday <shakes fist>

Skystride:  Yeah that was me playing scout/commander.  Was a great feeling the way it worked out those matches.  Has to be the first time that I've gotten zero kills and felt good about the way the round played.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2007, 11:15:20 PM »

Quote from: skystride on July 06, 2007, 02:51:25 PM

Good communication goes a long way.  We were playing Streets 3v3 against Harkonis and we won almost every time.  I forget who was playing "Commander" but he had 0 kills but was key to our victory.

My suggestion would be to avoid conquest mode with 3v3.  With 3 capture points it mostly becomes a 1v1 match with little teamwork.

Yeah that was Jarrodhk doing the recon and commander work while Skystride and I were doing the shooting.  Great teamwork on that game.  Thats what I love so much about R6.  Even as good as Harkonis is, with a little teamwork we can take him down!  icon_biggrin

Harkonis: No need to Handicap yourself man.  It's great playing with you or against you because either way I get better every time we play.

PapaSmurf: Usually when we play I end up on your team, but when I play on the opposite team you seem to have my number just like Harkonis  icon_frown Oh well its all in good fun.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2007, 12:03:03 AM »

Lol I got so frustrated with the game last night I could have broken my copy.  I was getting killed with no line of sight from around a corner and down the hall through cover......happen soooo many times I just couldn't take it anymore.  I don't mind losing or getting killed if it is legit but when shit like that happens it really makes the game unenjoyable.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2007, 12:25:42 AM »

I figure a good portion of that was just lag.  A couple of people were having yellow and red connections at times.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: