http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 03:39:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another New PS3 Owner  (Read 939 times)
Glycerine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »

Yep, just picked up the Metal Gear Solid bundle yesterday.  I also went ahead and bought Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, and pre-ordered Soul Calibur 4.  So far I am very impressed, as it seems like a pretty slick console.  I love how quiet it is, the built in HDMI, built-in wireless, rechargeable controller, tray-less Blueray drive, etc.  It's funny that my original hesitations were due to the cost of the system, but when you add up everything you get it's really a good deal.  To get all of the above features on the 360 would have easily cost several hundred dollars more.

Sony finally converted me, and I couldn't be more thrilled.  MGS4, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword are all awesome.  Any other recommendations?  Is Resistance worth it for single-player only?  What about downloaded games?

glyc

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 09:18:32 PM »

I liked Resistance and I think it's just received a price cut.

I love PixelJunk Monsters (DL game).  There's a demo if you want to try it out.

Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction was really fun too.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 09:22:30 PM »

Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds is incredible - and if you dig baseball, MLB 08: The Show is one of the greatest sports games I've ever played.

Is Resistance worth it for only single-player...I wasn't digging it playing by myself, but playing local co-op was AWESOME.  The online MP is fun, as well.

The game is going down to $29.99 MSRP starting this Monday (PS3 Greatest Hits), and can be had used for probably $25 after that drop.  I'd say it would be worth it.

PixelJunk Monsters is a great downloadable game (and only $5 for a limited time!).  And PixelJunk Eden, judging on the demo, is one of the most creative and fun games I've played in awhile.

Congrats on the purchase!

TheMissingLink on PSN
KC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 10:20:45 PM »

If you didn't have a PS2, there are a ton of great and cheap PS2 games out there.  IIRC, the MGS bundle PS3 has software-based PS2 emulation, so you have to check the playstation internet site to check on backwards compatibility. 

As to PS3 games, I would recommend Burnout, COD4, and Civilization.  These are also available on the 360, but the PS3 versions are just as good.
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 07:25:57 AM »

If you like Heavenly Sword I think you'll like Devil May Cry 4.
I thought Resistance was really good, first FPS I ever played on a console. And since you can get it used really cheap these days it's definetly worth it.
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 07:54:36 AM »

Don't forget to get Uncharted biggrin:D:D

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 01:02:54 PM »

I really enjoyed Resistance single player with the caveat that you need to get a little ways in the game for it to start to shine.  First couple of levels are rather sub-standard imitations of Call of Duty.  But after a little while you start to get some really neat and inventive weapons, the enemy types start to get more varied, and the level design really starts to change. 

Ratchet & Clank: ToD is a must own IMO.  And if you're going to play MGS4, make sure you download the completely free and awesome Metal Gear Solid database from the Playstation Store. 
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 02:27:22 PM »

Being a new owner also I recommend downloading pain, there should be a coupon to get it for free in the demo disk that came with the system. Pain has been the main game I have been playing with my neighbor. It is just a blast. My single player time has been spent on MGS.

Check out the demos in the playstation store and download the demo of resistance, which should help you decide if it is worth it to you. I did not particularly enjoy the demo. Also there is suppose to be a PS3 greatest hits soon that will include the games resistance, motorstorm and one other game for $29.99. Not sure when it is suppose to start.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 02:28:30 PM »

From what I've read, the demo of Resistance is from early in the game and therefore not indicative of the majority of the game.  So I wouldn't recommend making a buying decision off of it. 
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 05:07:07 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 28, 2008, 02:28:30 PM

From what I've read, the demo of Resistance is from early in the game and therefore not indicative of the majority of the game.  So I wouldn't recommend making a buying decision off of it. 

Indeed. I hated the demo, but I really enjoyed the single player campaign. It is definitely worth it at $29.99.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 10:20:25 PM »

If that is true about the demo I may check out the game as a rental first then. But for now I already have a PS3 backlog of Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, and Lego Star Wars.

Thanks for the insight on the demo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: