http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:06:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another 360 bites the dust  (Read 3637 times)
DonD
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2006, 05:55:07 PM »

If you remember, it was only in June that my first 360 began having lock-up issues, and then finally the red lights of doom.  I called MS and the repair process began around the 17th of June (shipping me a box, sending it in, getting it back).  For the record, the one I got back was not the one I sent in.  A note in the box indicated that to expedite things, my 360 was swapped for another one, and my serial number had changed.

The replacement 360 arrived about 3 weeks later (first week of July).

Now, less than a month later, -this- 360 is giving me the red lights of doom.  I was playing Chromehounds this morning without any problems.  I shut down the normal way, but now when I turn it on..I get the lights.

It shouldn't be a heat issue as the console has been off for hours and it's on top of my entertainment cabinet, completely free on all sides (except the bottom, of course).

So I call MS service again, and they are shipping me another empty box for me to ship this 360 back in so they can ship me another 360.

But wait..don't I have the box from a couple of weeks ago?  Can't I skip a step and just send this one back in that box?  Well, yes I have the box, but they will not accept any other way then for them to ship me a f*cking empty box, then have me put in my 360, then send it to them, and when they receive the broken one, to then send me a new one.  With an estimated turn-around time of 2 1/2 weeks.

As much as I protested and screamed at the rep, they would neither ship me a 360 while I shipped them the broken one (they have my CC# if I fail to ship the busted one), nor ship me just a label (hell, just e-mail it to me!) that I can slap on the box.

Nor would they pony up some compensation for the time lost on my live account, which will exceed one month, and probably end up around 6 weeks.

I only bought the first 360 in March.  2 broken consoles in 4 months.

F*cking CSR:  'There's only one way this is going to work, and this is how it is.'

I'm so enraged, not just that I have to send it back for the 2nd time in less than a month, but also by the way I'm forced to sit here while the process drags itself out in the most customer-unfriendly way possible.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 05:59:11 PM »

Call again and ask for a supervisor. Be polite but firm. Screaming and yelling rarely works; neither does a "Whiney" tone. I'm not suggesting you employed either, but the rep won't care for you. It's your paramount task to get them to empathize with you. When they do, they'll jump through hoops to make sure you're taken care of.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 06:00:13 PM »

Asked for his supervisor.

'It doesn't work that way.'

'Everybody has a supervisor..somebody they report to.'

'No, it doesn't work that way.  You can write to Microsoft.'

Bullshit.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 06:04:59 PM »

I did start out calm and polite, even jumping through the hoops they asked me to jump through with the troubleshooting even though I had already done that (it's hard to forget when it was only a month or so ago that I had done it).

I was polite all the way until he pulled out his 'there's only one way this is going to work' line, and then tried to tell me he doesn't have a supervisor.

Then I lost it.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 06:37:52 PM »

My brother (Captain Caveman) had a pretty crappy time with Microsoft's CSR staff when his 360 suddenly stopped working a week or two ago. Luckily, the 360 was bought at Costco and he still had the receipt. So instead of sending the 360 back to Microsoft and paying $150 to have it fixed, he just returned it and got a new one.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 06:54:31 PM »

Damn that sucks. I guess I've been lucky with my 360, although my first one did die out on me as well. (Was scratching any disc I put into it.) Luckily I was able to return it to Target since I was still in my first 30 days and swap it out for a brand new one instead.

Maybe as a future reference we should be getting our consoles at Best Buy and getting their warranty plan where you can bring in your bad console (in 2 years time) and walk out with a new one, instead of waiting for MS to spend weeks getting your stuff together.

And the 'dark side' is telling me to let you know you can (if you can afford it) go to Walmart or Target, buy a xbox 360, and play it until you get yours back in the mail. When you get it back, simply bring it back to Target/Walmart and tell them it's not playing DVD's, or it's scratching your discs, whatever sounds good.. and they'll ask you if you want another one or a refund.
Unlike Gamestop stores like Walmart and Target have almost an unconditioanl return policy.. I've returned a dvd player about a week ago for $35 and told them it was pausing the movie every 10 mins for about 5 seconds which was affecting the viewing experience and got my money back lol.

I know it sounds bad but hey.. it's not like Walmart can't afford it, and besides the so called "defective" 360 is just going to be shipped back to Microsoft anyway for them to sort out.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 07:25:17 PM »

Corrupt, let's boil that down to the basics.
Check return policy on whatever store FIRST. Costco & Walmart have awesome return policies. Also, make sure they aren't writing down the serial number at the time of sale (Which is why I don't recommend Gamestop/EBGames).
[list=1]
  • Go to Costco / Walmart, etc and buy a 360.
  • Get it home and unpack it out of the box.
  • Pack your busted-ass one in box.
  • Return your to the store (it's better to go to a different store-front); indicate you hated it/wife made you return it/alien probe in your ass interferes with it.
Tell them you hate chocolate milk for all I care.
  • Leave with your money.
  • There is no step 6.
  • [/list:o]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 08:29:46 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Check return policy on whatever store FIRST. Costco & Walmart have awesome return policies. Also, make sure they aren't writing down the serial number at the time of sale (Which is why I don't recommend Gamestop/EBGames).
[list=1]
  • Return your to the store (it's better to go to a different store-front); indicate you hated it/wife made you return it/alien probe in your ass interferes with it.
  • Leave with your money.
  • There is no step 6.

Only thing I would add here is to make sure you TAKE CARE OF YOUR 360 (don't put stickers, scratch it up, etc).  If you make it look like crap, they can tell right off that you switched it out.

Very evil of you Purge  :twisted:  But since I added to your list..
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 08:43:16 PM »

I haven't bought a console from them in a while, but when I got my GBA SP from Wal-Mart, I believe it took the Serial Number and printed it on the receipt.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 08:55:55 PM »

Quote from: "Zero"
Quote from: "Purge"
[list=1]
  • Leave with your money.
  • There is no step 6.

Only thing I would add here is to make sure you TAKE CARE OF YOUR 360 (don't put stickers, scratch it up, etc).  If you make it look like crap, they can tell right off that you switched it out.

Very evil of you Purge  :twisted:  But since I added to your list..

Except that highly probably won't work if the 360 packaging is like that of the original xbox: the serial number on the 360 and the number on the box won't match, so they won't return it.

Unless, of course, you have a lazy shop clerk who doesn't check for the serial numbers.

HELLO!
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 11:15:43 PM »

Quote from: "Napoleon"
Unless, of course, you have a lazy shop clerk who doesn't check for the serial numbers.

Apparently you've never spent much time in America - we're all lazy here.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 11:25:06 PM »

These stories of failing 360's have pretty much kept me from buying one.

I would love to get one, especially with some of the games that are coming, but the percentages are still too high on the failing systems.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 12:11:35 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"

I would love to get one, especially with some of the games that are coming, but the percentages are still too high on the failing systems.

it really is pretty damn amazing how many people that post here have had problems (& how forgiving/understanding most are - not so sure i would be. probably another good reason to stay away)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 12:17:56 AM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"

it really is pretty damn amazing how many people that post here have had problems (& how forgiving/understanding most are - not so sure i would be. probably another good reason to stay away)...

It's also pretty damn amazing how many people that post here believe that what is posted matches the reality of the people that visit this site, let alone the reality of everyone who has bought a 360, when every poll at this site and every other one I've visited shows 95% + of XB360 owners have had no problems at all. :roll:

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 01:23:27 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"

It's also pretty damn amazing how many people that post here believe that what is posted matches the reality of the people that visit this site, let alone the reality of everyone who has bought a 360, when every poll at this site and every other one I've visited shows 95% + of XB360 owners have had no problems at all. :roll:

Link?

I know MS said that the failure rate was only 3% and within acceptable measures, but that was after the first two weeks or so. I wonder what the overall failure rate is now, 10 months since launch (especially for those 360's bought within the first few months).
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 01:53:49 AM »

Considering the amount of failures I've read about here, combined with the fact that EVERY IGN editor has had theirs fail, well it scares me.

3% or no, or small amount or not, when I buy hardware the fail rate should be less than 1%. Yeah, that's what I expect, I've been spoiled by Nintendo and the relative sturdiness of their machines. I don't want to spend $400 bucks and then have to argue with Customer Service.

Oh I'll get a 360 eventually, but I may wait for the next true hardware version just to be safe.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 02:38:25 AM »

Consider yourself lucky...my refurb from MS only made it a week before it died. #2 seems ok so far...almost one week and counting.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 02:52:17 AM »

I'll just mention that I got one at launch and have had no issues with it whatsoever.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 03:14:12 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"
I'll just mention that I got one at launch and have had no issues with it whatsoever.

same here...got one a couple weeks after the initial launch with a build date of 11/9/05 and it's still working flawlessly almost ten months down the road.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 04:51:57 AM »

Considering the amount of failures I've read about here, combined with the fact that EVERY IGN editor has had theirs fail, well it scares me.

3% or no, or small amount or not, when I buy hardware the fail rate should be less than 1%. Yeah, that's what I expect, I've been spoiled by Nintendo and the relative sturdiness of their machines. I don't want to spend $400 bucks and then have to argue with Customer Service.

I've been working in consumer electronics retail for 10 years and Nintendo is the only company with that kind of fail rate.  Not Sony, not Samsung, not JVC, not anyone else can say that.  The 360 fail rate is about average from what I've seen for a consumer electronics device.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 12:45:30 PM »

I've been working in consumer electronics retail for 10 years and Nintendo is the only company with that kind of fail rate.  Not Sony, not Samsung, not JVC, not anyone else can say that.  The 360 fail rate is about average from what I've seen for a consumer electronics device.

That's bizarre. I've owned just about every nintendo device, and have only had one fail on me, and that was a gamecube with was used constantly by my kids for a year.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 12:54:33 PM »

Quote from: "infoghost"

That's bizarre. I've owned just about every nintendo device, and have only had one fail on me, and that was a gamecube with was used constantly by my kids for a year.

I think you misread, Sarkus is saying only Nintendo has seen that low of a failure rate, and that MS, Sony etc.. all would be considered the normal rate.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2006, 01:10:12 PM »

while i agree that a disproportionate number of people that post here own a 360 compared to the general population (it's a website for gamers, after all), i don't see how it follows that the number of problems that people've mentioned up here is somehow skewed (since this isn't a 360 complaint website). yeah, there're more 'my 360 broke' posts than 'my 360's just fine' posts, but that in no way invalidates the amount of the former (including multiple failures) in relation to the total number of 360 owners that  do post...

&, while i've never been one to form opinions based on anecdotal evidence alone, i'm sure as hell not gonna grant a whole lot of credibility to the results of that most suspect of all 21st century innovations/mindfucks, 'the online poll'...

so, in conclusion, i repeat:

"it really is pretty damn amazing how many people that post here have had problems (& how forgiving/understanding most are - not so sure i would be. probably another good reason to stay away)..."

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2006, 01:37:12 PM »

Same here. The worse thing that has happened is the occasional game lockup, but that has been rare, and one was a known issue with Oblivion that was fixed via a patch.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2006, 01:43:40 PM »

Mine was just loud so I switched it out cuz I could. This one here is being finicky with hanging during DW5:E ... not sure if it's heat, the game or the hardware. Switching it out cuz I can.

:: shrug ::

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2006, 01:45:33 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
so, in conclusion, i repeat:

"it really is pretty damn amazing how many people that post here have had problems (& how forgiving/understanding most are - not so sure i would be. probably another good reason to stay away)..."

I'm shocked that you're amazed. I mean, over 100 million PS2's shipped... I know people who have gone through more than 5 due to true hardware failure.

infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2006, 01:54:09 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Quote from: "infoghost"

I think you misread, Sarkus is saying only Nintendo has seen that low of a failure rate, and that MS, Sony etc.. all would be considered the normal rate.

Doh! Sorry, I did indeed take his post for the opposite, my bad.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2006, 02:54:10 PM »

My 360 I won from everytime10minutes contest is still running without a problem.  I think I had one lock and one start since I received it.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2006, 03:01:27 PM »

Same with me... until 2 weeks ago.  :?
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2006, 03:19:16 PM »

I was getting random lockups but only while playing GRAW and now Chromehounds.  NFS, Cod2 and Live Arcade games never locked up.  My system is well ventilated and the power supply is about 2 feet away in a wide open area behind my TV.  I swapped it out this past Tuesday (burned my Best Buy 2-year replacement warranty, will probably buy another one). but haven't had a chance to test out the stability.  I should be on this weekend.  <crosses fingers>
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2006, 03:52:19 PM »

a lockup every now and then, but other than that my 360 has been running flawlessly since i bought it back in february of this year.  

that being said, all this talk of failing consoles has me worried about losing my save games.  any good method of backing up your saves from the 360 to an external source out there?  something that would allow me to transfer them back to a new drive/console if i have to switch mine out for a new one?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2006, 04:35:51 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
that being said, all this talk of failing consoles has me worried about losing my save games.  any good method of backing up your saves from the 360 to an external source out there?  something that would allow me to transfer them back to a new drive/console if i have to switch mine out for a new one?

There is a device out there that'll let you move your 360 saves to a PC's HD. Not sure of the name offhand though.

Also, odds are your 360's HD will survive anything happening to the 360 itself (short of a lightning strike or something). And since it's removeable, just pop it off before you send it in for repair/replacement.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2006, 06:32:39 PM »

hepcat,

If you are really worried, there is a device called the XSATA drive that connects to your PC through a USB port.  You can offload stuff to your own PC then using it.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2006, 08:21:48 PM »

hepcat,

If you are really worried, there is a device called the XSATA drive that connects to your PC through a USB port.  You can offload stuff to your own PC then using it.

thanks!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2006, 11:30:53 PM »

Actually I was suggesting returning the good Xbox (the one he got at Walmart) when he got the refurbished model or whatever MS sends back to him in 2 weeks or so.
Cant remember if Walmart or Target did the serial numbers or not.. but I know when I've returned stuff to them (and I'm guilty of doing some dark stuff!) it's been as easy as paris hilton being talked into doing a sex tape.

But hey if you can return it with the bad xbox instead, that'd be even easier. If they check for the serial number you can argue it out and say look, this is the one I got so I dont know what kind of errors you guys are having on your part, but I want my money back because this thing isn't working right!
If they still refuse (rare I'd imagine) then just send the busted one back to MS and hold on to the good one until you get the refurbished one back and then return the good one (that you got at walmart) back to walmart for a full refund - and they cant bitch about serial numbers because it's the same one. And all the while, you got to keep playing your 360 while waiting for MS to send you another one..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2006, 01:52:33 AM »

If you purchase the extended warranty for the 360 (like I have) and you have a problem (something I hope I NEVER HAVE), is the process expedited so your system can get back to you quicker?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2006, 01:56:02 AM »

Quote from: "jblank"
If you purchase the extended warranty for the 360 (like I have) and you have a problem (something I hope I NEVER HAVE), is the process expedited so your system can get back to you quicker?

It depends who it's from. If it's via Gamestop/EB/Best Buy, you just get a replacement console right then and there (assuming they're not out of stock). If it's via Microsoft, you just do the send in/send back routine we all talk about. It's no faster.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2006, 02:27:24 AM »

Quote from: "jblank"

I have the extended warranty thru MS.  They aren't doing a damn thing to speed this along.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2006, 07:47:16 PM »

It shouldn't be a heat issue as the console has been off for hours and it's on top of my entertainment cabinet, completely free on all sides (except the bottom, of course).

And many other quotes I could have highlighted... But here is my story, whether you want it or not   :  :twisted:   My first 360 was bought on launch day, was placed on wire rack setup, so it is surrounded by air on every side - and after hearing about power brick issues, it too, was suspended in air, lol... I've played Quake IV first, then FFXI obsessivly on it (even leaving it on for hours to run bazarrs while i napped on FFXI sometimes). During the three week wait between FFXI beta and release, I played Oblivion day and night.  I have had about two freezes the entire time.

Another household member wanted to play Zuma, sometimes during prime time FFXI play (can u imagine?)! So the second 360 came into the house... it has not seen the same level of constant play, but has also had no issues - at all - not a single hangup.

So I feel horrible for the people who have experienced problems, especially multiple ones, but i have to say that I have had just about 100% performance from my two XBox 360's... which actually was a totally different experience than my original Xbox experience, lol!

Good luck to you all who may be having problems., and remember... on new systems, the store policy is the way to go! You can't beat EB or Best Buy for new  replacement consoles

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2006, 03:49:14 AM »

My launch-day 360 is dying/dead. Locks up at the dash, when playing DVDs, screen will sometimes freeze and look very pixelated accompanied by a horrific screeching sound, 3 rings of death (NW, SW and SE) etc. I am not happy.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: