http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 07:54:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Anno 2070 - Deep Ocean Expansion coming  (Read 4007 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 02:36:19 PM »

+1 to Blackadar's impressions above. I too am enjoying it's complex challenge.

I put in a few more hours into this past weekend. In the mission that I'm in my next step will be: I'm declaring war on the Ecos.. 'cause, dammit, I can't grow vegetables in my island, and theirs is plenty fertile for 'em.  nod
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »

Black, I have not played anything like this, it does not sound like anything similar either.

But, I think I may be missing something.   Maybe I will give the demo a try or something to see if it seems to grab me or not.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 03:45:21 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on April 09, 2012, 02:43:23 PM

Black, I have not played anything like this, it does not sound like anything similar either.

But, I think I may be missing something.   Maybe I will give the demo a try or something to see if it seems to grab me or not.

If you've played SimCity, it's along the same lines.  If you haven't, then this is virgin territory for you!

There is a demo for 2070 that has the first 2 missions in it.  Consider that the complexity of the game play increases pretty steadily as you go, so the first 2 missions should just give you a feel for the (very basic) gameplay and the graphics.  The real skill/strategy doesn't kick in until around a half dozen missions in the game and it keeps ramping up from there.  I'm 5 or 6 missions in the game, haven't unlocked half of it yet and it's still challenging.

If you play the demo and you're still not sure you want to drop $40-$50 on it, you can find Dawn of Discovery out there pretty cheap (Amazon and GamersGate $20 download for the Gold edition, though I got it for $6 on sale) .  DoD is called Anno 1404 in Europe and is the predecessor to this game.  It features the same gameplay, though it's set in the middle ages and not in future times.  I liked DoD but I think I really prefer the setting, theme and interface improvements of 2070. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2012, 02:58:15 AM »

are you ready for the Deep Ocean.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 04:17:52 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 24, 2012, 02:58:15 AM

I like!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2012, 06:51:23 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 24, 2012, 04:17:52 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 24, 2012, 02:58:15 AM

I like!

but will you like it for $29.99?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2013, 10:47:34 PM »

So what's the verdict on this? How has their support of this been? AA's write-up in the Weekend Playlist thread sounded interesting (was that a Deep Ocean adventure?) and sadly this is sitting in my Steam game list, never played. I'm well aware of the DRM so really just looking for a general impression of the game itself a year later... and what if any DLC might be worth investing in. During a Steam sale.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2013, 09:19:48 PM »

You should definitely play it if you already own it.  Itís my favorite builder in years.  I recently got back into it and would be interested to try some multiplayer if youíre interested.  Itís the one area Iíve never really experimented with.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2013, 05:26:52 AM »

Thanks... hopefully I'll have some time to check it out at the end of the month. Right now between a complete kitchen gut-and-remodel that starts in a week and a three-year work project that went live this month, I have very little spare time... or more like very little spare brain.  disgust

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2013, 02:29:58 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 12, 2013, 10:47:34 PM

So what's the verdict on this? How has their support of this been? AA's write-up in the Weekend Playlist thread sounded interesting (was that a Deep Ocean adventure?) and sadly this is sitting in my Steam game list, never played.

Yes, hydrothermic power plants and tsunamis are two of the gameplay additions in Deep Ocean.  They're part of the expansion's general theme of expanding the Tech faction and associated underwater facilities.

I think it's a great expansion, but I would not consider it worthwhile for a newcomer.  Nearly all of the additions are designed for people who have exhausted the base game, and there are so many unlockable technologies, career perks, and custom challenges in Anno 2070 that you could easily sink eighty hours into it without feeling like you were missing a thing.

My recommendation would be to spend some time with the original release, learn the basics in the campaign and tool around on a Continuous Map or two, and then see how you'd feel about adding underwater trade routes, enhanced black smoker harvesting, and some *very* high-end demands from the new tier of Tech residents.  It's all very cool stuff, but hardly must-have material when you're learning whether or not you even like the game. icon_smile

-Autistic Angel
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: