http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 02:20:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Animal crossing reviews and hopefully impressions!  (Read 36107 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2005, 07:41:14 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

Man, I agree with everyone - this game is so awesome.  So much fun.  So much to do.  SO much variety.  Everyone I've met looks differently.  It's what the Cube version was and more.  WITH portability.  Fantastic!

I agree with you 100%.  People were saying it was a port of the GC version, but there is so much more to this game than there was in the old one.  Sure, the basic premise is the same, but they added a ton of new things to the game and the multiplayer really adds a lot.  For instance, white turnips.  Before you bought them and usually just sold them to Tom Nook in your town.  Well now, you can go to a bunch of different towns to check the prices there.  Much more flexibility because of the multi.  It takes everything I loved about Animal Crossing and gave it even more depth.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2005, 07:42:10 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"

Also, has anybody else gotten to mess around with the time at all?  It's actually kinda fun - you can use it for games of hide-n-seek, tag, etc., and it also has a fish/bug counter if you want to use it for contests.  I can order a few more from the catalogue if anybody wants one...

Dimmona,  how exactly does the counter feature work exactly?  Do you just watch someone catch fish and manually count each one on it or does it have some way to watch a player and count automatically?

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2005, 08:23:17 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"

Also, has anybody else gotten to mess around with the time at all?  It's actually kinda fun - you can use it for games of hide-n-seek, tag, etc., and it also has a fish/bug counter if you want to use it for contests.  I can order a few more from the catalogue if anybody wants one...

Dimmona,  how exactly does the counter feature work exactly?  Do you just watch someone catch fish and manually count each one on it or does it have some way to watch a player and count automatically?

Yeah, spill the details, Dimmona!  I have no idea what you're talking about here.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2005, 08:42:18 PM »

Is there a way to get designs into other people's towns?  
I found a design by Addy and Jason in my store, but I didn't see an option to leave one when I went to another town.

I finally paid off my first house and Tom Nook's upgraded to the bigger store, so I finally have room for more stuff!

Also, has anybody else gotten to mess around with the time at all? It's actually kinda fun - you can use it for games of hide-n-seek, tag, etc., and it also has a fish/bug counter if you want to use it for contests. I can order a few more from the catalogue if anybody wants one...

Yes, what is that and how does it work?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 12, 2005, 09:27:38 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
Is there a way to get designs into other people's towns?  
I found a design by Addy and Jason in my store, but I didn't see an option to leave one when I went to another town.

Go up ot one of the mannequins and click on it and choose that you want to display.  It will ask if you want to replace it or trade it (trade means it will take the design currently on that mannequin and put it in your designs in place of the design you are trying to place).  I chose to replace so that I could keep my design.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2005, 10:47:56 PM »

It even warns you when your battery is running low.  THIS GAME'S GOT EVERYTHING!

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2005, 11:04:14 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
It even warns you when your battery is running low.  THIS GAME'S GOT EVERYTHING!

Is it just me or does this game go through the battery quicker than other DS games?  I'm thinking maybe it is because the game is still "playing" while in sleep and probably having wifi turned on doesnt help.  Or maybe time just goes by so quickly when playing it that it really has been 6 hours since my last charge.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2005, 11:05:14 PM »

That's a good thing though, if it's anything like the Gamecube version. To say that you get chewed out if you just power down the Gamecube version is putting it nicely. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2005, 11:57:56 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"

Is it just me or does this game go through the battery quicker than other DS games?  I'm thinking maybe it is because the game is still "playing" while in sleep and probably having wifi turned on doesnt help.  Or maybe time just goes by so quickly when playing it that it really has been 6 hours since my last charge.

I have noticed the same thing - I can usually go a week or two on most games (even rumble pack games like Metroid Pinball) without having to charge, but with Animal Crossing I'm lucky to make it two days.  Of course, I'm also playing the living hell out of it (with WiFi on as well) so that doesn't help.

Edit: I haven't used the timer with multiple people, but Nook made it sound like its purpose was to be used for contests among many people - maybe when I get home tonight I'll jump into one of your towns and we can try it?

Edit #2: I'll just go order a bunch of timers, so feel free to visit my town later tonight (after 7:30pm PST) if you want one...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
depward

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2005, 12:26:16 AM »

Edit #2: I'll just go order a bunch of timers, so feel free to visit my town later tonight (after 7:30pm PST) if you want one...

Sweeeet!  I want a timer!  I'll be there!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2005, 02:04:35 AM »

I did not see the timer or any of the other tools in my catelog...I don't know that you can do that.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2005, 02:51:39 AM »

Update on the kitty thing.  THe mother kitty sent me a mail with a present attached.  The present was a little picture of the kitten and the mother together.  Very cool.

One thing I discovered that I don't like.  I left my wifi connection going so that someone could go to my town and buy my slingshot in Nook's.  I got back later and checked and the DS had lost connection to the Wifi.  The problem is, though, that it makes you reboot the game and you lose everything since the last save.  SO, if people did all kinds of cool things in your town and then you get disconnected, you lose it all.  That kind of sucks.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2005, 03:39:11 AM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"

I did not see the timer or any of the other tools in my catelog...I don't know that you can do that.

You're right - I can't order it from my catalogue either.

Someone hurry up and jump on so we can test the timer smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2005, 03:47:07 AM »

One thing I discovered that I don't like.  I left my wifi connection going so that someone could go to my town and buy my slingshot in Nook's.  I got back later and checked and the DS had lost connection to the Wifi.  The problem is, though, that it makes you reboot the game and you lose everything since the last save.  SO, if people did all kinds of cool things in your town and then you get disconnected, you lose it all.  That kind of sucks.

I was in your town when you lost wi-fi, so I lost some cool stuff I bought in your town :/  Aw well, I don't mind since the game's so damned fun to play.

Oh, and it looks like my FAVORITE resident of Da Couv is moving OUT.  WTF MELBA!!  I loved Melba, she was awesome.  So if any of you have Melba move in (because apparently they move to other people's that you have visted town), treat her nicely.  She's awesome.  So sad  :cry:

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2005, 04:08:08 AM »

A little fun stat - I apparently have better luck fishing at other towns.  Case in point - TML was over, fishing along, and he caught this Stringfish (I think that what was it was called).  Anyways, seems as though it's pretty rare!  Sells for 15,000 Bells at Nook's.

So I went over to Da Couv (his town) and fished for a bit.  Caught several Koi (they sell for 2k or 3k) and several Bitterlings (1k) at his place.  And that was in ONE go-around at his place!

PLUS!  I think since you have more than one person in your town, the fish respawn rate is higher as well as just having more fish around.  Maybe that's a "Captain Obvious" statement, but yep.

Damn Nook is upgrading his shop AGAIN for me tomorrow!  I'll be visiting your towns gathering supplies then . . .

Also, thanks to everyone (Clay, Paul, others) for leaving your towns pretty much 24/7 accessible.  Very cool of you guys (and gals)!

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2005, 04:45:41 AM »

Nook's is upgrading to stage 3 for me, too. smile  Yahoo!

warning

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2005, 05:09:41 AM »

Blarney is open for business all nite long!

I also found an extra shovel so if you need one it's laying on the ground near my town entrance.  Help yourself!
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2005, 05:38:28 AM »

Made some rounds again today. Orph hooked me up with a sweet rattan dresser that holds 6 backpacks worth of stuff.  I continue to bring my cherries to lands near and far, so if you haven't added me yet...
ADD ME ADD ME!!!

smile

Edit: Gates are open now and untill probably 11 or 11:30 PST.  Visit lovely Utopia smile
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2005, 06:48:14 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

That's a good thing though, if it's anything like the Gamecube version. To say that you get chewed out if you just power down the Gamecube version is putting it nicely. biggrin

I never met Mr. Resetti on the Gamecube version. But with the DS, Mr. Resetti visit me and give me a long sermon after I turned off the DS after testing wifi connection without saving.
Queequeg
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2005, 07:29:14 AM »

THIS is where the happenin' AC:WW thread is. :-) (I transfered in from OO.)

Wow, this game is great!! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to visit any towns yet. I got my girlfriend a DS and AC for X-mas. I've been really tempted to let her open it early, but I am going to be good and not give in to my own need for different fruit types. I have oranges and I planted a coconut and some apples, so I may have some more fruit  in a few days - if I'm lucky.

Here is my info if anyone wants to visit:

Friend Code: 1589-7459-4985
Name: Scott
Town: Ironwood

I'll add everybody's info and keep my gates open!

As an aside, here is my MK:DS friend code - I'm still playing a ton of that one too. Finally got through the 150cc and mirror mode races: 2749-3739-3296
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 13, 2005, 02:04:21 PM »

Man, Nook still won't sell me a shovel.  I have all the other tools.  I will be visiting some towns today to hopefully buy a shovel.  

Redd the furniture guy has setup camp in my town.  I have my perfect outfit now too.  Can't wait to show it off to everyone.   I have yet to get a storage box for my home, I need one badly.  

What is the timer used for?  I'm confused.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 13, 2005, 02:10:50 PM »

Yes, I need some storage in my home soon as well!  Hopefully Nook sells me something handy for that soon.  slywink

Here's to hoping the little raccoon having an axe to sell me today!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
warning

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2005, 02:27:31 PM »

Quote from: "Torfish"
Man, Nook still won't sell me a shovel.  I have all the other tools.  I will be visiting some towns today to hopefully buy a shovel.

I've got two extra shovels.  Is there a way I can mail one to you?
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2005, 02:29:53 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Torfish"

I've got two extra shovels.  Is there a way I can mail one to you?

Cool, I will open up my town at lunch today.  I will leave it opened.  Thanks!  I have an extra axe in Nook's store if anyone wants it.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2005, 04:07:51 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Yes, I need some storage in my home soon as well!  Hopefully Nook sells me something handy for that soon.  slywink

Here's to hoping the little raccoon having an axe to sell me today!

I had a cabinet in Nook's store yesterday that you could have bought.  He is closed today for my next expansion, but the cabinet would have been gone anyway.  I will be on the look out for one, though, and save it for you.

adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2005, 04:37:16 PM »

Damn you, Gone Go... er, Console... uh, Gaming Trend Effect! I will have this game (even though nobody has answered my question yet).

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
warning

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2005, 04:58:25 PM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"
Damn you, Gone Go... er, Console... uh, Gaming Trend Effect! I will have this game (even though nobody has answered my question yet).

It took me a bit to find your question!

I'm not entirely sure.  I haven't gone more than a day without playing but if I remember the Cube version if you hadn't played for awhile you had cockroaches in your house and weeds in your town.  The game certainly rewards playing every day or two so it might not be the right fit for you.

On the other hand, I thought Nintendogs was about as exciting as watching paint dry so I can see why you gave it up.  Animal Crossing is so much more fun and compelling to me.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2005, 06:36:03 PM »

I was in your town when you lost wi-fi, so I lost some cool stuff I bought in your town :/  Aw well, I don't mind since the game's so damned fun to play.

Oh, and it looks like my FAVORITE resident of Da Couv is moving OUT.  WTF MELBA!!  I loved Melba, she was awesome.  So if any of you have Melba move in (because apparently they move to other people's that you have visted town), treat her nicely.  She's awesome.  So sad  :cry:

I think Melba lives in my town now.

xbox live: nude rick james
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2005, 06:48:49 PM »

Quote from: "Victoria Raverna"

I never met Mr. Resetti on the Gamecube version. But with the DS, Mr. Resetti visit me and give me a long sermon after I turned off the DS after testing wifi connection without saving.

I've been wondering if Mr. Resetti is in the DS version. I had a town I made on a separate memory card for the GameCube and I used it to try things that seemed risky (I didn't want to trash the town my wife & daughter had put hundreds of hours into). I reset many many times in a row, and got Mr. Resetti all fired up bigtime. He was so sick of me that he sent his brother after me. One time he threatened to wipe my memory card and then the screen went blank like he had done it (talk about nearly soiling my undies). He was bluffing. He and his brother ended up being just big bags of hot air. The worst that ever came of them was with each successive reset their speeches would be longer and longer and there was no way around them.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2005, 07:34:57 PM »

Quote from: "PaulBot"
Quote from: "Victoria Raverna"

I've been wondering if Mr. Resetti is in the DS version. I had a town I made on a separate memory card for the GameCube and I used it to try things that seemed risky (I didn't want to trash the town my wife & daughter had put hundreds of hours into). I reset many many times in a row, and got Mr. Resetti all fired up bigtime. He was so sick of me that he sent his brother after me. One time he threatened to wipe my memory card and then the screen went blank like he had done it (talk about nearly soiling my undies). He was bluffing. He and his brother ended up being just big bags of hot air. The worst that ever came of them was with each successive reset their speeches would be longer and longer and there was no way around them.

Oh yes, he is most definitely there.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2005, 07:37:52 PM »

So, I've found about 6 Gyroids now (even found one in recycling!  What animal threw that away!) and I've finally paid off my first loan to the house.

Just lovin' the game.

I've got all the tools now, so now I'm scanning the skies for balloons!  I don't really have a need to chop down any trees yet.

I had found a coconut on day 1 on the beach, but a couple days ago when I planted it, it died.  frown   No coconuts for the town of Salmon yet.

Oh, and Bones is moving out of my town.  He's all packed up and ready to go.  Let's see where he goes!
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2005, 08:13:06 PM »

What are these gyroids for?  I have a bunch but other than making annoying sounds they don't seem too useful.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 13, 2005, 08:20:41 PM »

They're just quirky things.  Apparently some go to the beat of your music, I guess.  Never seemed to see that, though.

I wonder how it affects the RDA score...(or is it RDH?  I don't KNOOOOW)

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 13, 2005, 08:21:51 PM »

Quote from: "Demosthenes"
What are these gyroids for?  I have a bunch but other than making annoying sounds they don't seem too useful.

That's what they are for. smile  If I remember correctly, they make noise in rhythm to whatever song you have playing on your radio in the house.

Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2005, 08:33:19 PM »

On the resetting issue, I've killed power in the causeway with the dog guards numerous times and have not seen the infamous Resetti.  Perhaps that is a safe zone due to the possible WiFi errors.

EDIT: Ill also mention that Since Orph gave me a dresser it is now in my catalog and Ill be happy to order some for visitors to Utopia smile
Queequeg
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2005, 09:17:13 PM »

I may take you up on that Demosthenes. I am in desperate need of someplace to store items. I have stuff spread all over my room. It looks like some crazy house-bound person lives there. This image isn't helped by the fact that one of my neighbors gave me a toilet which is sitting by itself along one wall, prison cell style. I'll be on WiFi this evening if you or anybody can help me out.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2005, 09:18:05 PM »

I can't figure out the catalog.  I want to order stuff but it seems Nook only stocks things I already own.

How does this work?  Do I have to be given something in order to place an order?  That's weird if it's true.  I won't need to order it when I already have it from a gift.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2005, 09:26:38 PM »

The catalog is there to re-order PREVIOUS items you've had in your possession.  So don't be looking for any new ones in there!   biggrin   I know, I was a bit stumped when I looked as well, but then thought back to the Cube version and remembered.

I gotta tell you - collecting everyone's fruits has been great.  I now have a nice orchard up with ALL different kinds of fruit next to my house!  I have apples, cherries, oranges . . . and even more trees sprouting up!  Cool stuff!

Need to go to one of your Nook stores today though - I'll be around!

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2005, 09:27:42 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I can't figure out the catalog.  I want to order stuff but it seems Nook only stocks things I already own.

How does this work?  Do I have to be given something in order to place an order?  That's weird if it's true.  I won't need to order it when I already have it from a gift.

The whole idea is that once you get your hands on it..you can sell it back without having to randomly find it or earn it again.  This way you can build up a room set you want, and be able to switch to others when you want to. smile  When I see paper I've not gotten before, I buy it and sell it back to Nook.  I take a loss, but now it is in my catalog forever.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2005, 09:41:37 PM »

Just ordered a couple dressers for the 1st takers to show, and also I just visited Groovania where Nth's Nook has a refrigerator for sale. smile
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: