http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:13:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Animal crossing reviews and hopefully impressions!  (Read 35890 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2005, 12:02:16 AM »

http://www.dsmeet.com/decalmaker/acww.html

Works like the Mario Kart decal creator.  It puts any picture you want into an Animal Crossing template.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2005, 12:24:45 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Uh Oh, it looks like we have some AC newbies on here, welcome to our world

Speaking of n00bs, hurry up and post your Friends code so we can invade your town, put obscenities on your bulletin boards, chop down all of your trees, and teach your villagers to swear whenever possible.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2005, 12:26:10 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
A few more things that happened :

-An unfamiliar cat was walking around my town.  When I talked to it, it asked me to redraw it's face.

It's weird - if you click on the 'Phone' when you start to access the game options, there's a Download section there.  One of the options in that menu is to 'allow a mysterious cat to roam around your town'.  No idea wth it does as I haven't seen it yet, but it has to be related to the WiFi connectivity somehow...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2005, 12:40:41 AM »

You know what's being ignored by all reviewers? The possibility of additional items etc. unlocked via wi-fi.

Nintendo stated back at the TGS that things like this were possible and will happen. I am all for new stuff because of online play!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2005, 01:05:03 AM »

So today, Blanca the faceless cat visited my town.

Now, I thought that information would only transfer to your DS from visiting another person's town, but apparently this isn't true.

When I met her, she had a face with eyes, mouth, etc... but she had these red marks all over, like someone had stabbed her repeatedly and she was bleeding!

When I started talking to her, she said "This face was a gift from Beely!, in Uberland (the U with the two dots over it)."  Then she said "It was designed according to the principles of 57".   The "Beely!", "Uberland", and "57" were in light blue, denoting user input.

When I designed her face, she asked me for a design name, and I called it "Mega Happy".

So....  You *can* get items transferred from someone else's town to yours without actually visiting them.  I visited DiscoJason's town last night, but he hadn't visited anyone else, so it wasn't an indirect connection.  I got this purely from connecting to the WFC.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2005, 01:09:22 AM »

Interesting!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2005, 01:23:02 AM »

My AC:WW friend code is 0215-3557-4786, Eric, Deverry

Loving the game and the round world.  I'd rather be playing than typing so I'm going back to it...only have to say if you loved the first one and didn't grow to hate it then get this one.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2005, 07:28:56 AM »

A suggestion for the wifi part -

Any time you're playing and you're able to make a wifi connection, make it a point to go to the gates and select to open them to other people first thing.

If there are any other towns out there open on your friends list, it will tell you so before opening your gates.

Then, if there isn't any, your gates are open for anyone else to come in.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2005, 09:23:49 AM »

You know what's being ignored by all reviewers? The possibility of additional items etc. unlocked via wi-fi.

Nintendo stated back at the TGS that things like this were possible and will happen. I am all for new stuff because of online play!

Wow. No crap, good point. I don`t have wi-fi at home YET, but I will soon and that looks pretty interesting. Downloading stuff into it via the phone. I wonder why reviewers have not mentioned it yet. Hmm.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2005, 10:21:40 AM »

Do the circles/triangles signify anything on your friend list?  There's a couple people with green circles and everyone else has a red triangle in front of their name.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2005, 01:17:50 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
It's weird - if you click on the 'Phone' when you start to access the game options, there's a Download section there.  One of the options in that menu is to 'allow a mysterious cat to roam around your town'.  No idea wth it does as I haven't seen it yet, but it has to be related to the WiFi connectivity somehow...

I downloaded the cat too.  I haven't seen it yet though.  I had no idea that there was an option to download more items and events into your town.  That is damn cool.  I have a feeling we are in for some big surprises with this game.   It truely is something different everyday.

Anyone payoff their first debut yet?  I will by today.  It will be interesting to see how much larger my house will become.  

The fox Chief guy in my town is building something evil/big in his house.  He told me this last night.  I will login at lunch to see if he is finished.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2005, 04:18:36 PM »

Here's a question.  Two of my kids are already getting Animal Crossing DS for Christmas.  After they start their towns if my wife decides she wants to start her own game will she have to have her own copy of the game or can she start a seperate character in one of my kids towns like you could do on the Gamecube?

I'm leaning towards getting her her own copy of the game since I am already giving her a DS, but it would be nice to know I wouldn't have to buy a third copy of the game.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2005, 04:22:58 PM »

She can start in one of your children's towns.  They share a house, though...sooooo your kid's may not be into that.

"I want pink walls!"

"Awww, Moooooooom...."

"Pink, OR YOU'RE GROUNDED MISTER!"

TheMissingLink on PSN
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2005, 05:41:40 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
She can start in one of your children's towns.  They share a house, though...sooooo your kid's may not be into that.

"I want pink walls!"

"Awww, Moooooooom...."

Fortunately, as the house is upgraded, more rooms are added, so Mom can have her own room to decorate eventually. smile
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2005, 05:44:50 PM »

"I want pink walls!"

"Awww, Moooooooom...."

So they don't have like 4 different houses in a town like the Gamecube version had?
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2005, 07:43:17 PM »

Quote from: "The_Man"

"I want pink walls!"

"Awww, Moooooooom...."

So they don't have like 4 different houses in a town like the Gamecube version had?

Nope.  You all live in the same house.  There are two floors - the top floor has the beds for the 4 people, and then the bottom floor is the "common" area.

As your house is upgraded, the room gets bigger and more rooms get added.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2005, 07:49:25 PM »

What about the other animals?  They have separate houses, right?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2005, 08:10:16 PM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
What about the other animals?  They have separate houses, right?

Yep.  No pandemonium.  No cats and dogs living together.  All the other animals have their own homes.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2005, 08:14:55 PM »

Just started the game, but here's my friend code:

3479-5313-7494, Clay, Beaufort

xbox live: nude rick james
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2005, 08:15:10 PM »

Do the circles/triangles signify anything on your friend list?  There's a couple people with green circles and everyone else has a red triangle in front of their name.

I tried looking that up in the manual, and they don't mention it.

I noticed the same thing.  Some have the green circles, some have the red triangles..  I'm wondering if it has something to do with identifying the friend code as "valid" on the WFC service?  The ones with the green circle are "Valid" and the ones with the triangle haven't been validated yet.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2005, 08:56:35 PM »

I know in Mario Kart DS both parties have to enter each other's friend codes.  Maybe those symbols differentiate between whether both have entered codes or just one person?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2005, 09:05:11 PM »

I simply can`t get enough of this game. I`m liking still, ALOT more on the handheld so far. Just better suited for handheld play, that`s all. BTW, who here adjusts the clock and who here doesn`t? I did with the cube version. But so far here I haven`t. But, I do play alot late at night, and no open store=hard to make money. Still lots to do, but no open store hurts the $$$. And ideas? Between this and MK, the wait for my 360 around Feb should go very fast and easy!
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2005, 09:22:44 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
I simply can`t get enough of this game. I`m liking still, ALOT more on the handheld so far. Just better suited for handheld play, that`s all. BTW, who here adjusts the clock and who here doesn`t? I did with the cube version. But so far here I haven`t. But, I do play alot late at night, and no open store=hard to make money. Still lots to do, but no open store hurts the $$$. And ideas? Between this and MK, the wait for my 360 around Feb should go very fast and easy!

Because this has such a robust online element to it, I think that adjusting the clock is most definitely cheating, and it isn't too fair to the other people you'll connect to who are not doing so.

Right now, Nooks is open from 8am - 11pm.  That's a lot of time.  I suggest you get a dresser which can hold over 90 items, catch fish, collect shells, etc... and then take 5 minutes in the 8am - 11pm time frame to go into Nook's, sell all of the items, and buy what you need.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2005, 09:33:05 PM »

I visited ericb's town (and vice versa) this morning.  Pretty cool, although the 2nd time when he was visiting my town we did get a network timeout which after 15 seconds causes the game to go back to the title screen (thankfully my inventory had been saved - so I still have all of the apples I stole from his town).

Yes, the green circles indicate codes it has validated (and I think may also indicate they have you on their friends list as well).  If you go to the little icon on the friends screen that has the three heads on it, it will show you a list of everybody currently logged in to the WiFi service.

Also, just in case it wasn't clear to folks from the manual (it wasn't for me) - in order to log in to the WiFi service so other people can visit your town, you have to head north to the town gate and talk to Copper.  He will give you the option to 'Invite Guests' to your town.  Selecting this link will open your town doors and log you in to the WiFi service.  You will have the standard link icon on the bottom left, and it will announce to you if somebody else on your friends list comes online.

To go to somebody else's town, you can talk to Copper as well.  Whenever you enter someone's town, a little cutscene will play announcing that person's arrival (to the host).  Be sure to leave obscenities on that person's message board smile

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2005, 09:44:16 PM »

Quote from: "MaxSteele"

Because this has such a robust online element to it, I think that adjusting the clock is most definitely cheating, and it isn't too fair to the other people you'll connect to who are not doing so.

Right now, Nooks is open from 8am - 11pm.  That's a lot of time.  I suggest you get a dresser which can hold over 90 items, catch fish, collect shells, etc... and then take 5 minutes in the 8am - 11pm time frame to go into Nook's, sell all of the items, and buy what you need.

I did ask... :wink:

Wow, that seems a bit harse. Obviously I did want to know peoples opinions. I guess I just NEVER thought of it as that way^. It`s not a competitive game really is it? So really, how is that cheating? On top of that, I`m not using the wi-fi right now and prolly won`t be until about Feb. (I`m going wifi when I grab the 360).
 Anyone else think this is cheating? I`d assume the most it would be considered is "cheating" yourself if you abuse this. Like if you were to use it to get money left and right etc. But, those aren`t my plans. Just a simple 12 hours back and forth every once in awhile to do more day/night time things depending on when I CAN PLAY. That`s it. Keep the opinions O` coming. I`m really curious now.

Sorry if I sounded mean, I just guess I wouldn`t have got that kind of response :wink:
warning

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2005, 09:53:07 PM »

Nah.  Have fun Harpua you big fat cheater smile.  No worries mate.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2005, 10:19:02 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Nah.  Have fun Harpua you big fat cheater smile.  No worries mate.

lol :wink:
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2005, 10:26:16 PM »

Wow, that seems a bit harse. Obviously I did want to know peoples opinions. I guess I just NEVER thought of it as that way^. It`s not a competitive game really is it? So really, how is that cheating? On top of that, I`m not using the wi-fi right now and prolly won`t be until about Feb. (I`m going wifi when I grab the 360).
 Anyone else think this is cheating? I`d assume the most it would be considered is "cheating" yourself if you abuse this. Like if you were to use it to get money left and right etc. But, those aren`t my plans. Just a simple 12 hours back and forth every once in awhile to do more day/night time things depending on when I CAN PLAY. That`s it. Keep the opinions O` coming. I`m really curious now.

Sorry if I sounded mean, I just guess I wouldn`t have got that kind of response :wink:

Yeah, I understand what you're saying.  Obviously it's your game, and you can play it however you'd like.  Personally, I like that certain things happen at certains times, and if I'm not available for them, then I miss out.  I'm a big fan of alternate worlds and artifical life simulations, and for me, changing the time on a whim would take away from the feeling of "living" in another world.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2005, 10:28:54 PM »

I visited ericb's town (and vice versa) this morning.  Pretty cool, although the 2nd time when he was visiting my town we did get a network timeout which after 15 seconds causes the game to go back to the title screen (thankfully my inventory had been saved - so I still have all of the apples I stole from his town).

Yes, the green circles indicate codes it has validated (and I think may also indicate they have you on their friends list as well).  If you go to the little icon on the friends screen that has the three heads on it, it will show you a list of everybody currently logged in to the WiFi service.

Also, just in case it wasn't clear to folks from the manual (it wasn't for me) - in order to log in to the WiFi service so other people can visit your town, you have to head north to the town gate and talk to Copper.  He will give you the option to 'Invite Guests' to your town.  Selecting this link will open your town doors and log you in to the WiFi service.  You will have the standard link icon on the bottom left, and it will announce to you if somebody else on your friends list comes online.

To go to somebody else's town, you can talk to Copper as well.  Whenever you enter someone's town, a little cutscene will play announcing that person's arrival (to the host).  Be sure to leave obscenities on that person's message board smile

I believe you guys hit my town this morning as well, looking for shovels.  I was pretty impressed with how well it worked.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2005, 11:06:54 PM »

Yeah, I understand what you're saying.  Obviously it's your game, and you can play it however you'd like.  Personally, I like that certain things happen at certains times, and if I'm not available for them, then I miss out.  I'm a big fan of alternate worlds and artifical life simulations, and for me, changing the time on a whim would take away from the feeling of "living" in another world.

I see your point also. We agree to disagree :wink: .
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2005, 11:33:25 PM »

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. smile

I visited ericb's town also, which was pretty fun to do.  He visited mine a little later as I found out from the message board, but I was AFK at the time. frown  
My time's usually split between day and night, so I haven't made any clock adjustments.  I wouldn't think it's cheating to do it though.

Does it seem like the jobs given to you are less frequent?  I remember on the Cube version almost everyone I talked to gave me a job.  Now, I've only received one delivery job.  Everyone else wants to catch fish.  My main source of income comes from selling oranges.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2005, 01:06:04 AM »

Everyone else wants to catch fish.  My main source of income comes from selling oranges.

Don't forget to raid other people's towns for fruit, plant them in your town, and reap the profits :-)

That's been one of the hardest things so far for me to get used to - without the GBA island present as a way to create hordes of $$, progress is going to be pretty slow on the financial front.  Well, at least until the turnip dealer comes to town...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2005, 01:22:24 AM »

Everyone else wants to catch fish.  My main source of income comes from selling oranges.

Don't forget to raid other people's towns for fruit, plant them in your town, and reap the profits :-)

That's been one of the hardest things so far for me to get used to - without the GBA island present as a way to create hordes of $$, progress is going to be pretty slow on the financial front.  Well, at least until the turnip dealer comes to town...

I just want a shovel.  2 days and no shovel...  Nook better not upgrade his store tomorrow!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2005, 01:33:16 AM »

This is the code for my wife's neighborhood

Carrie

Home

3059-0347-8831

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2005, 01:45:47 AM »

im going to have to break down and get a ds for this game, arent i?
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2005, 02:36:23 AM »

I just want a shovel.  2 days and no shovel...  Nook better not upgrade his store tomorrow!

This has happened to me.  No shovel for my first 2 days and now Nook is closing for expansion tomorrow.  Oh well.

I saw some people visited my town!  Cool.  No one left a shovel for me though.  

When I tried to visit someone, no towns were opened.  Hopefully I can visit someone tomorrow night.

I got a squid and an octopus today.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2005, 03:17:40 AM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
im going to have to break down and get a ds for this game, arent i?

Yep! biggrin

This is the code for my wife's neighborhood

Carrie

Home

3059-0347-8831

I tried dialing that number on my cell to talk to your wife at home.  :wink:  It didn't work. :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2005, 03:20:30 AM »

Is it just me or is this game a very peaceful form of relaxation?  I was having a stressful past couple days and I swear, I could just turn on Animal Crossing and escape from everything for a little bit.  I think it should be used in counseling sessions as a form of meditation and stress relief.  Such an awesome game!

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2005, 04:05:50 AM »

With the gamecube version, I set the time about 6 hours slower than the time at my location just so that I can have night and daylight during the my play time.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2005, 04:08:18 AM »

While I think time travelling is cheating and I'm not doing that both in DS version and gamecube, you don't have to set it to the actual time at your place, you can set it faster a few hours or slower a few hours and leave it at that so you can have daylight in your game if you mostly play late at night.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: