http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 07:34:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Animal crossing reviews and hopefully impressions!  (Read 35913 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2005, 06:44:52 AM »

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920786.asp

So far so good. I`m sure this game will hands down rock. Wi-fi or not. I think the low reviews are people "who just don`t get it" :? . The 1up is a very positive review, just not informative... Anyone have this early... Pretty please tell if you do! Tuesday can`t come fast enough for me!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 09:38:23 AM »

Seeing as how the weather is crappy, I'm extremely busy, and my car not wanting to start, I think I'll probably only be able to pick up Animal Crossing Thursday . . . MAYBE even early next week depending on how good of a grasp I have on my finals.

And yeah - it's going to be like digital crack to me.  Can't wait!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 10:26:04 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Seeing as how the weather is crappy, I'm extremely busy, and my car not wanting to start, I think I'll probably only be able to pick up Animal Crossing Thursday . . . MAYBE even early next week depending on how good of a grasp I have on my finals.

And yeah - it's going to be like digital crack to me.  Can't wait!

ACK! :shock:  Not a good situation. Animal crossing will help though, I`m sure of it!  :wink:
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 01:03:18 PM »

I should have mine tomorrow as well.  Actually, I don't think we even need impressions for this game.  Harpua3 is right when he said "people who just don't get it".  I won't give any impressions anyway since I know I loved the Gamecube version and I will only be extremely biased. biggrin

Tom Nook - HERE I COME...AGAIN!!!!!! biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 01:05:25 PM »

Tom Nook is a bastard. A bloody thief, that's what he is.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 04:30:44 PM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
Tom Nook is a bastard.

LOL

TheMissingLink on PSN
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 04:37:23 PM »

Does anyone know:

When you visit someone else's town on Wifi.... if they are there can you chat live with them?   Seems I read this somewhere
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 05:01:30 PM »

Is there available everywhere now (Best Buy, Media Play, etc) or just still just in gaming stores (EB, Gamestop, etc)?  I'm planning on buying it today as soon as I can find it but I'd like to know where first smile
jpk
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 05:15:50 PM »

Animal Crossing is such a natural match with the DS, but the fact that they ripped out the NES games (takes you out of the game word, my patootie) is enough for me to cool on this release. They don't celebrate normal holidays anymore either? Ack. Once the normal gameplay became tedious, those were the only two reasons I would check in. Just thought I'd share my unoriginal angst.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 05:40:47 PM »

You think you guys are in heaven, I've got an 11 year old and a 9 year old who are both getting Animal Crossing, Mario & Luigi, and Mario Kart for their DS.  I mean which one do you play first and how do you find time to play all three of them?
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 05:42:17 PM »

Ok, no laughing.  What is this game about?  Build a town similar to Simcity or Sims, but in a cute/kid-friendly/cartoon world?  What does the gameplay consist of?  I truly know nothing about this game, so this is not me attacking the game.  Is it any good on the DS for single player only?  I'd like a Cliff Notes version of what this game is about.  Thanks.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 06:07:35 PM »

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  at Vinda-Lou!!!

Just Kidding!

Impossible to describe it.  I strongly believe you have to play it to decide if you absolutely can't stand it or you love it to death.  It is like a Sim's-type of game, but in a complete and utterly quirky strangely addicting kind of way.  Those darn animal characters are so cute you just want to pick them up between your index finger and thumb and squash them because of their cuteness. biggrin  And they are funny as hell too!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 07:29:00 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"

Impossible to describe it.  I strongly believe you have to play it to decide if you absolutely can't stand it or you love it to death.  

Very true statement right there.

You can't really describe it because 'in words' the basics of the game sound very very boring.  But the gameplay is pure fun...  it is addictive, you just have to play everyday.   Most of the time there is something new each Real Life day.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 07:58:58 PM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
Does anyone know:

When you visit someone else's town on Wifi.... if they are there can you chat live with them?   Seems I read this somewhere

Yep - you can chat with them.  You'll just type out what you want with the stylus and it will come up as a bubble when you're done typing!

When you have 4 people visiting (the max), you can all chat it up at someone's town.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 08:44:44 PM »

Quote from: "Vinda-Lou"
Ok, no laughing.  What is this game about?  Build a town similar to Simcity or Sims, but in a cute/kid-friendly/cartoon world?  What does the gameplay consist of?  I truly know nothing about this game, so this is not me attacking the game.  Is it any good on the DS for single player only?  I'd like a Cliff Notes version of what this game is about.  Thanks.

I wrote this in the other Animal Crossing thread.  It explains my $.02 pretty well:

It's really hard to be specific about why Animal Crossing is so fun. Part of it is like a MMORPG - you "build" your town over time and it becomes yours sort of like customizing a character in WoW makes it your character.

There are tasks/quests to complete. There's a certain addictive quality about paying off your mortgage only to get a bigger place with a bigger mortgage. The collection quests are very compelling.

Part of it is so relaxing. It's my low-stress game. No fighting, no phat hip-hop performed by thugged-out gangstas, no timed events, no action sequences. It's just this weirdly compelling cast of animal characters and their interactions. There's always something new to do, to accomplish.

It's unabashedly kiddie. Microsoft wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. Sony maybe could have made a game like this. It's certainly not for everyone but I'm thrilled that a game this weird was not only released for the GC but also now for the DS. There's just no other game like it. Sims is similar. Sim City is also similar. MMORPG's have some things in common. But nothing is quite like Animal Crossing.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 09:23:17 PM »

Quote from: "ericb"
Is there available everywhere now (Best Buy, Media Play, etc) or just still just in gaming stores (EB, Gamestop, etc)?  I'm planning on buying it today as soon as I can find it but I'd like to know where first smile

Hate to quote myself but I've answered my own question...no.  It's not available to me anywhere today.  Media Play says this week.  All of my EBs say tomorrow or Wednesday, Best Buy has Wednesday listed, etc, etc.  I was really looking forward to playing this tonight too.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 09:53:47 PM »

Quote from: "jpk"
Animal Crossing is such a natural match with the DS, but the fact that they ripped out the NES games (takes you out of the game word, my patootie) is enough for me to cool on this release. They don't celebrate normal holidays anymore either? Ack. Once the normal gameplay became tedious, those were the only two reasons I would check in. Just thought I'd share my unoriginal angst.

The NES games were meant as extras in the Cube build, gave you something else to do. I'll admit I Rarely played the games. Now as for Holidays, they still have Holidays and Events, just Animal Crossing specific ones that are around traditionally world wide events/holidays. It's more for making the game easily localized.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 12:32:40 AM »

G4's Attack of the Show is going to have their First 50 (first 50 minutes with the game) feature in a couple minutes on Animal Crossing.  If you've got G4, check it out biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 07:45:24 AM »

Anyone got it yet? I`m crazy waiting for this game.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 11:04:26 AM »

I hope to get it tomorrow.  The Fry's ad said they would have it in by 4PM guaranteed, but I won't be able to play it until I get home from work.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 03:01:16 PM »

My copy is scheduled to be here at 4:30pm today.  In the meantime, take a look at the IGN review.  

http://ds.ign.com/articles/673/673671p3.html

Their big compliant is the lack of NES games.  I could care less about that, I never played the NES games from the cube version.  I actually like the fact that there are no real-life holidays.  I'm always busy with family on those days, no time to play.  Now I can look forward to the Animal Crossing holidays, I wonder if the holiday dates are documented in the manual.  

The best part of the IGN review, a 9 for gamplay and a perfect 10 for lasting appeal.  Can't wait to dive in tonight.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 11:36:37 PM »

Got it today, slushie!  I Left for work early today, stopped by EB and played for a couple hours before work.  I guess the best way to sum it up is if you liked the GC Animal Crossing, you'll like the DS version too.

I started by taking a cab ride and naming my town and my character.  I was then dropped off in Groovania with nothing to my name except the clothes on my back and a sparkle in my eye.  aww....

The one big thing that surprised me was the world is no longer flat.  There are still the N/S/E/W boundaries, but you walk on a curved plane.  I haven't had a chance to do to much, since Tom Nook has me doing these odd jobs to help me get started, but things are pretty similar to the GC version so far.  Some things have changed aesthetically, but everything from the GC seems to be there.   There is a town gate where you can leave and other enter.  The lost and found is here, relegated by a gate guard. Town hall, Tom Nook, clothing store and the museum are the main buildings.

The museum now has a cafe that was trying to sell me coffee for 200 bells, but since I'm broke I couldn't afford it. frown  It also houses the observatory where you can make and name your own constellations.

You can play the game using nothing but the stylus and touch screen if thats what floats your boat.   Some thing take some getting used to like moving room items around, but overall, it's much easier to do things.

I haven't had a chance to try any multiplayer aspects, but I'll try to hook it up when I get home.

I can't wait to get home to play it some more to do more collecting and exploring, slushie!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 01:25:48 AM »

Does anybody know if there are still K.K. Tunes in the game, or will we have to wait until Saturday night to find out?

-Autistic Angel
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 01:31:55 AM »

Man, I am pretty bummed about the lack of NES games. Like the IGN review says, it was totally the carrot on the end of the stick for me. I did only get two NES games on the GC AC so there's definitely more to the game than that I suppose.

It will be fun. I always have the GBA cartiridges if I want to go retro. smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 02:40:55 AM »

I'm pretty dang sure the K.K. tunes are still in there - walked into a neighbor's house tonight and they had K.K. Aria playing.  So that's great news biggrin

The game looks better to me than I thought it would.  Other than that, same 'ol Animal Crossing, it would seem.  Still getting used to how the world sorta rotates as you walk now, but I'm sure I'll get used to that in time.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 02:54:20 AM »

Got it, played for about an hour before having to go back to working on crap - good stuff!  I <3 Animal Crossing

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 03:16:54 AM »

We got one copy, for the wife, will probably get another one for me.

Make sure you have an up to date friends list so we can visit one another!

Played it a little bit, and talked to the wife after she played it, and I think that the community will dictate how great this game becomes. I think being able to play with others will really make this one stand out a lot. It's the only one thing that truly sets this version apart from it's predecessors but it's huge.

So in that vein I look forward to seeing all of your villages and stealing your residents and giving you a bunch of half-assed designs etc.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 04:08:36 AM »

I got it also.  I love the graphics.  Played for 2 hours tonight.  Finished all Tom Nook's required work and now I am roaming around free.  I did mostly fishing and talking with the neighbors.  The interface is so much better than the cube.  You can type letters 10 times faster and move around your inventory better.  Your inventory is larger too.  Great stuff so far.  

Here is my friends code  3694-2787-6652
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 04:13:51 AM »

we need your town name and your character name as well. Time for a new thread in MP gaming!

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 05:33:06 AM »

I've updated the WiFi Friends Code Sticky Thread to include Animal Crossing codes.  Feel free to add yours!

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2005, 06:45:29 AM »

Holy shit!

Great game. I just played for about 2-3 hours-ish and wow!!! I like it alot more than the cube version and I loved that version. The typing is WAY easier, I`ll toast to that :wink: . I like the "round" look and feel to the landscape. Lots of new fun things added to the good old AC GC formula. So far, this one is WAY thumbs for me!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 10:33:01 AM »

Yeah!  The "round world" aspect has grown on me - I love it.

Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2005, 01:54:54 PM »

Anyone buy a shovel yet?  My Nook's store doesn't have one for sale.   Also, is it documented anywhere when the holidays are?

I logged in this morning and it was snowing in my little town!  No accumulation though.  It was before 8am, so no one was awake and Nook's store was not opened.  I did see the saplings that I planted yesterday started to sprout.  I caught a few fish and put them in my museum's fish tanks.  I will log in again at lunch time.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2005, 05:16:38 PM »

Quote from: "Torfish"
Anyone buy a shovel yet?  My Nook's store doesn't have one for sale.  

I just bought one today, but I know there wasn't one yesterday.  Good 'ol Tom Nook!

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2005, 06:00:07 PM »

Quote from: "Torfish"
Anyone buy a shovel yet?  My Nook's store doesn't have one for sale.   Also, is it documented anywhere when the holidays are?

I logged in this morning and it was snowing in my little town!  No accumulation though.  

I'm still waiting on a shovel as well.  I was also getting the first couple of snowflakes this morning - sounds like our towns are in perfect sync smile

My long lived love affair with Animal Crossing is well documented on this board, and so far it doesn't look like the DS version is going to slow it down one bit...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
warning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2005, 08:15:27 PM »

I just got my copy at lunch.  The town of Blarney is ripe for the picking.  I'll post back with the wi-fi code later once I get that part set up.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2005, 08:16:22 PM »

I got a bird for my house, a reward for delivering a letter.  Here is a very strange one... Rosie asked me to answer a questionaire.  She gave me a gift based upon my answers, a boxing barricade.  That is right, I now have a iron barricade inside my house!  Wonder if it comes from a set?  Strange indeed.  I have a new neighbor that moved in at lunch.  He looks like an evil fox and the inside of his house looks evil.  He won't talk to me.  Tells me to go away.

I love the sounds.  The letters on the keyboard speak when you tap them and the NPCs all have cool little toons.  The graphics are better than I expected, very nice.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2005, 11:33:38 PM »

A few more things that happened :

-I like how the constellations you make show up in the night sky.  I wasn't expecting that.    
-I had a mole burrow up from underneath the ground and scold me about how I turned off my DS without saving first.
-A new neighbor named Pecan moved in and was friendly, but told me to come back tomorrow after she had a chance to unpack.  She looked like a squirrel.
-An unfamiliar cat was walking around my town.  When I talked to it, it asked me to redraw it's face.

I'm having great fun!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2005, 11:40:56 PM »

This game is like crack.  I mean, the Gamecube version was.  But it screamed portability.

And AC's transition to the DS was a great one.  It REALLY reminds me of the CG version (which is a good thing!) while also adding in a whole slew of new elements.  So.  Friggen.  Awesome.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2005, 11:56:29 PM »

Uh Oh, it looks like we have some AC newbies on here, welcome to our world

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: