http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 11:07:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Animal Crossing DS - Here it Comes!  (Read 2267 times)
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2005, 01:09:46 PM »

Anyone else pumped and excited for this one next week?  I have two fully paid and preordered, one for me and one for my son.

I just finished reading an extensive preview of the game in my latest Nintendo Power magazine and let me tell you this one is chock full of features!  Here are some examples:
  • WiFi is going to be incredible.  I can’t wait to visit all your towns!  And here is something really, really cool – “Message in a Bottle”.  You can put a message/letter in a bottle and throw it in your ocean.  Now close your DS, putting it in sleep mode, and just have it with you while driving somewhere or walking around and if there is another DS in sleep mode with the game your bottle will wash up on their shore!  Better yet, if they don’t open it, it can then wash up on someone else’s shore if they stay in sleep mode!  It’s a ripple effect!  Isn’t that cool?
  • A new Town Hall, complete with a bank, a new huge Museum that dwarf’s the one in the cube version and now complete with a coffee shop in the basement!  A new hair salon!  An observatory, where you can actually create your own constellations!
  • More emotions for the animals and your character with new quests and “obsessions” you need to help them out with.  Your favorite returning characters (K.K. Slider folks etc.) and new VIPs!
  • Incredibly easy customization of everything from designing clothes, signs, flags, hair, writing letters, managing your inventory, chopping trees, fishing and on and on with the use of the stylus!!!
  • Even more stuff to find and more varieties of everything (i.e. flowers and such).  And you now can water your plants to help them grow!
  • New “special events,” contests and holiday’s throughout the year.  Although they seemed to have gone away from the traditional North American holiday’s I think or at least they are not called Thanksgiving etc.

I only touched on a small fraction of what this game will have to offer.  I was obsessed with the Gamecube version.  But here is the best part.  With the cube version I couldn’t tend to my town during the day because I was at work – now I can with my DS!!!  At lunch time of course. :wink:   Ok, when I have to go out and inspect stormwater outfalls I just may have to “check up on some things” in my town.

So, what do you say we start some Animal Crossing love around here!
 biggrin [/list]

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 01:39:37 PM »

This game is one of the primary reasons I've decided to get a DS again.  While the PSP is a little stale (great games are coming, just not here yet) the DS has Mario Kart, the new Mario and Luigi RPG, Animal Crossing and so many more all available right now (or the next week or so).
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 02:05:46 PM »

I heard that there won't be any NES games in this version....is that true? If so, that sucks.  :cry:

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 02:26:46 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
I heard that there won't be any NES games in this version....is that true? If so, that sucks.  :cry:

Sadly, it is true.  The devs said they felt it took you out of the ANimal Crossing world, so they eliminated it.  I have a feeling it has more to do with the upcoming downloadable content for the Revolution, but sometimes I can be a little too cynical, even when it comes to my beloved Nintendo.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 02:40:24 PM »

I can't wait.  I loved the first Animal Crossing but sadly my wife loved it more.  I could hardly get time to play it.

The DS version is mine baby.  All mine.  She can get her own damn copy.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 02:46:58 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

Yes, very true.  Now, I know you are not a Nintendo person Hetz, but if you have a DS don't let this deter you from playing one of the most addictive games ever.  I still have the original Animal Crossing for my cube so I can always play the original Nintendo games I found if I want.  No big deal for me.  There is just too much other stuff in this new Animal Crossing to get hung up on this one thing. biggrin

XM Channel 76
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 02:57:32 PM »

I'm thinking of  all the fun I could have the with "message in a bottle" to bad I know no one around me with a DS.  

I was thinking I might hold out on this one for a little bit, but it sounds to good.  grrr

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 04:05:53 PM »

Man, I really wish I "got" Animal Crossing the way the rest of you guys do. Y'all swear by it, make it sound so much fun, but I tried the Cube version, and it just came across as a chore simulator. That being said, the game seems like an even better fit on the DS. I'm afraid to think of the mobs of kids at school playing this game, zombified, in a sea of DSs and animal towns.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 04:43:59 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Man, I really wish I "got" Animal Crossing the way the rest of you guys do. Y'all swear by it, make it sound so much fun, but I tried the Cube version, and it just came across as a chore simulator. That being said, the game seems like an even better fit on the DS. I'm afraid to think of the mobs of kids at school playing this game, zombified, in a sea of DSs and animal towns.

I don't "get it" either.  None of those features sounds fun to me at all.  I have it for the Gamecube and I just never saw what others did.  I'll pass on the DS version.  I do love Mario Kart DS though.  It is probably my favorite all time portable game.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 04:48:35 PM »

If it matches or exceeds the 'Cube version, man, it's a GOTY contender.  I can't wait biggrin  Create your own constellations?  A FREAKIN' COFFEE SHOP!?  K.K. SLIDER'S BACK!?!?  I'm nearly giddy with anticipation.  It's too bad that it comes out dead week, week before my hardest (and last, YAY) finals week ever.  

Can't wait!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 05:36:25 PM »

Words cannot describe how stoked I am for this game.  Have you guys checked out the videos IGN put up last night?  Even the graphics look better... I can't wait!!

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 06:00:53 PM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
Quote from: "Dafones"

I don't "get it" either.  None of those features sounds fun to me at all.  I have it for the Gamecube and I just never saw what others did.

It's really hard to be specific about why Animal Crossing is so fun.  Part of it is like a MMORPG - you "build" your town over time and it becomes yours sort of like customizing a character in WoW makes it your character.

There are tasks/quests to complete.  There's a certain addictive quality about paying off your mortgage only to get a bigger place with a bigger mortgage.   The collection quests are very compelling.

Part of it is so relaxing.  It's my low-stress game.  No fighting, no phat hip-hop performed by thugged-out gangstas, no timed events, no action sequences.  It's just this weirdly compelling cast of animal characters and their interactions.  There's always something new to do, to accomplish.

It's unabashedly kiddie.  Microsoft wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.  Sony maybe could have made a game like this.  It's certainly not for everyone but I'm thrilled that a game this weird was not only released for the GC but also now for the DS.  There's just no other game like it.  Sims is similar.  Sim City is also similar.   MMORPG's have some things in common.  But nothing is quite like Animal Crossing.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 06:07:03 PM »

Such an awesome game.  Been looking forward to the DS Animal Crossing for awhile now.  It's going to be awesome!

If they would have just simply ported Animal Crossing for the Gamecube, I would have been happy.  But with so many new things but with the basic scheme intact, this is going to be one addictive game!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 06:25:44 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
It's unabashedly kiddie.  Microsoft wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.  

I long for a world where "kiddie games" are accepted.  I turn 33 on Sunday and I love games like this.  I know you have no problem with them, per se, but I am just saying...

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 06:39:24 PM »

Maybe it's hints of OCD, but I would fire up my GC Animal Crossing after a time and just pull all the weeds and chop down trees from my town.  My poor town!

This is going to be great on the DS.  Count me IN!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 06:51:15 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"

I long for a world where "kiddie games" are accepted.  I turn 33 on Sunday and I love games like this.  I know you have no problem with them, per se, but I am just saying...

Hell I'm 37 and I enjoy "kiddie" games more now than I did 10 years ago.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 07:08:44 PM »

I just hope the letter-writing thing is LOTS easier - I'm assuming with the stylus interface it will be at least some easier, but how much?  I wonder if there will be shortcuts to point at, like your own name,or "how are you today" etc.  It used to kill my thumbs writing those damn letters...  :?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 07:58:59 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
I just hope the letter-writing thing is LOTS easier - I'm assuming with the stylus interface it will be at least some easier, but how much?  I wonder if there will be shortcuts to point at, like your own name,or "how are you today" etc.  It used to kill my thumbs writing those damn letters...  :?

All stylus driven myto!  Much easier.  Just "tap" the letters you want.  In addition, all manipulation of your inventory and buying/selling at Nook's, is all accomplished via drag and drop with the stylus!  So is fishing, digging, chopping, planting etc. etc. etc. biggrin

XM Channel 76
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 07:59:26 PM »

This is the only game I have pre-ordered all year.  I can't wait to try it out.  Especially with the DS wireless connection.

It is probably one of the few games where you can ignore the reviews.  I'm sure some will get it and some won't.  It is a love/hate type of game.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 08:17:39 PM »

Does anyone know if AC:WW will use the rumble pack from Metroid Prime for the fishing?  I seem to remember AC for the GC had rumble support for the fishing so that you knew when to press the button.  Would be cool if this version used it as well.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 08:22:58 PM »

Does anyone know if AC:WW will use the rumble pack from Metroid Prime for the fishing?  I seem to remember AC for the GC had rumble support for the fishing so that you knew when to press the button.  Would be cool if this version used it as well.

That's an awesome idea.  It would be nice if they added more too it than just hitting A at the right time - I think Dark Cloud 2 has about the nicest implementation of fishing I've ever seen in a game.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 10:00:44 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"

That's an awesome idea.  It would be nice if they added more too it than just hitting A at the right time - I think Dark Cloud 2 has about the nicest implementation of fishing I've ever seen in a game.

What are you talking about!  Final Fantasy XI had the BEST fishing in a game:

/fish
*fling your rod and out pops your line*
*wait . . .*
A fish has caught the hook!
*hit Enter*
Your rod broke.

Tongue

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 11:44:57 PM »

Sadly, I`ll have to wait a week. Oh well, it`s just a week. For that week I can read impressions and drool.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 11:57:44 PM »

Hell I'm 37 and I enjoy "kiddie" games more now than I did 10 years ago.

well hell, i'm 37 plus 20, spent a few of those years living in real 'liberty city' neighborhoods, & yeah, animal crossing on the ds is looking mighty nice. i guess you could say i live in a world where they're all basically "kiddie games"...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 03:41:25 PM »

I had a question about Animal Crossing.  Does time pass while you are not playing the game.  As an example, in Nintendogs if you dont play the game for a while your pet runs away/starves etc.  Does your town/house fall apart if you went on vacation and didnt play it for 3 weeks?

DrJones
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 03:55:25 PM »

If anyone's interested, someone at Penny Arcade won a contest and has the game early, and has made a little writeup of his character's first few days in the game.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 04:09:32 PM »

Quote from: "DrJones"
I had a question about Animal Crossing.  Does time pass while you are not playing the game.  As an example, in Nintendogs if you dont play the game for a while your pet runs away/starves etc.  Does your town/house fall apart if you went on vacation and didnt play it for 3 weeks?

DrJones

Yep, the town (at least in the GC version) gets overrun with weeds.
I wonder how my AC town is now... haven't touched the game in a year.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 04:18:47 PM »

Ok....

My wife would strangle me.

Here's the short version of the story:

Wife gets me DS for Christmas last year.   I play it and have fun, but no games are really out that I want for months.

PSP is released and WOW did the looks and gameplay knock my socks off.   I sell the DS and buy PSP.

NOW along comes Animal Crossing.     OMG I loved this game on the cube, and now I'm regretting not having a DS.   My wife will strike me down with holy wrath if I go asking her for one....  =(
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 04:33:50 PM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
Ok....

My wife would strangle me.

Here's the short version of the story:

Wife gets me DS for Christmas last year.   I play it and have fun, but no games are really out that I want for months.

PSP is released and WOW did the looks and gameplay knock my socks off.   I sell the DS and buy PSP.

NOW along comes Animal Crossing.     OMG I loved this game on the cube, and now I'm regretting not having a DS.   My wife will strike me down with holy wrath if I go asking her for one....  =(

Lesson? Don't sell stuff.  biggrin

At least the DS is cheaper now.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 04:55:11 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
If anyone's interested, someone at Penny Arcade won a contest and has the game early, and has made a little writeup of his character's first few days in the game.

ROFL

A funny as heck writeup of what sounds like an awesome game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2005, 07:15:54 PM »

I'll definitely be getting a copy of this one. My daughter will be the one playing it the most, but I will be also, and maybe even my wife.

Looking forward to visiting your towns via WiFi!!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: