http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 09:50:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: animal crossing (?!)  (Read 2680 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2005, 10:52:49 PM »

yes, dimmona, i really did grab a copy of this (my eb's last new copy with the memory card) when i picked up god of war, & the guys at the store definitely thought it was a pretty interesting game combo...

i've never enjoyed sims of any kind, tho i've tried: flying, management, 'the sims', heck, i don't even like sports games (nope, not even baseball!)...

but i'm already, a couple hours in, seeing why you (& a few other people) really like this one. it's just... weird. it's like a dream or something, so sticky sweet, but strangely ill at the same time, like a children's tv show gone wrong...

anyway, what with nothing i'm interested in showing up for another week, i'll be giving it a shot. if i end up getting hooked, you've got only yourself to blame smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 01:33:43 AM »

heh, heh, heh... another one joins the secret club!  seriously, this game should not be nearly as addictive as it is.  just wait until you start fishing, bug-and-fossil-collecting, and growing trees in another town... it's crazy how silly you will feel and how often you'll play.

and don't forget to catch the concert at the railroad station... i'll be glad to tell you when it is, unless you think i told you too much already!  and, if you have a cable to link your GBA to the Cube, and an e-reader collecting dust somewhere, you'll finally have a game that puts them both to good use.

have a ball! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 01:41:51 AM »

Those concerts at the railroad station kick ass biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 12:54:22 PM »

cool!...

i'm already feeling the addiction coming on (though it's more like barbituates than crack slywink )...

edit: already used my gba to do some island-hopping, & will likely be ebaying the reader & cards...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 07:08:38 PM »

I have to admit, Animal Crossing has some kind of...magic to it. I don't know what it was, but there was something about this title that I hadn't seen before in a game. I guess the best way of describing it was that it was alive.

Just don't play more than an hour or two a day though (IMHO). Or play it with somebody else in the family. Much more fun that way.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 08:58:42 PM »

AC is still the only game that my wife has ever played for more than 15 minutes (well, that and Tetris).  The game is even more fun when you have multiple people playing in the same town - there's nothing like waking up in the morning to see an obscene message painted on an eisel sitting outside of your door smile

There was someone on this board who maintained a great website chronicling his experiences with Animal Crossing...

Oh, here's a little bonus tip to get you started:
1) Create a new letter to any animal in town
2) On the first line, enter the 'key' symbol
3) On the 2nd/3rd lines, enter the following two lines exactly how they appear:
Wlhh2CqhbrggNE
x9LdWdFggZ7@F&
4) Send it, and you should receive Donkey Kong Jr. 3 for the NES in the mail a few days later smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 09:36:02 PM »

It's funny, I could never get into the game. Rented it for a week, and just found the game boring. Doing chores wasn't any fun. Returned it early. Not knocking anyone else's opinions - glad you enjoyed it - but AC really wasn't for me.

AC and Metroid Prime seem to be the two Cube games that the forums love, but I don't.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 11:32:40 PM »

dimmona -
thanks a lot for the tip (& for suggesting the game) - will be trying it shortly smile ...

Quote from: "Dafones"
It's funny, I could never get into the game. Rented it for a week, and just found the game boring. Doing chores wasn't any fun. Returned it early.

this was how i was expecting to feel, but here i am already looking forward to paying off my mortgage more than i was ever looking forward to taking on ares over the last 2 weeks - go figure! (btw, i never got into metroid, either)...

got my scanner & a couple card packs on ebay, & will start, um, 'working' on my wife, tho i'm not sure she'll be interested (crystal chronicles was the only game that ever got her hooked). but for now, it's back to mr. roger's 'land of make-believe' as seen through the eyes of tim burton (or maybe david lynch?). strange... (& yeah, a couple hours a day sounds about right...)

Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 12:00:03 AM »

I found it very stupid and boring.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 12:14:44 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
AC is still the only game that my wife has ever played for more than 15 minutes (well, that and Tetris).  The game is even more fun when you have multiple people playing in the same town - there's nothing like waking up in the morning to see an obscene message painted on an eisel sitting outside of your door smile

There was someone on this board who maintained a great website chronicling his experiences with Animal Crossing...

Oh, here's a little bonus tip to get you started:
1) Create a new letter to any animal in town
2) On the first line, enter the 'key' symbol
3) On the 2nd/3rd lines, enter the following two lines exactly how they appear:
Wlhh2CqhbrggNE
x9LdWdFggZ7@F&
4) Send it, and you should receive Donkey Kong Jr. 3 for the NES in the mail a few days later smile

Sweet, I'll have to try this.  I got the game in the BB 2 for 25 deal a while back with Wind Waker.  I've been putting in thirty minutes here and there to AC.  Do you need to buy an NES to play the NES games?  I haven't even paid off my mortgage yet.  Tom Nook and that cat on the train are running a real estate scam!

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 04:51:52 AM »

Quote from: "Yossarian"

you know, i think that's actually part of why i'm enjoying it so much smile ...

(got screwed tonight - it's raffle day, so i couldn't sell anything frown . have to finish paying off the mortgage tomorrow...)

& no, you don't need to buy (or get) anything other than the game (there're a couple others inside the first letter you get, from nintendo - at least there were in mine)...

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 05:44:48 AM »

My feelings exactly.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 06:08:15 AM »

speaking of which, how do you attain raffle tickets?  I must win that NES game!  April Fool's Day tomorrow.  Might be interesting to see if anything happens on the "holiday."

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 07:11:38 AM »

Nook gives you tickets when you buy stuff from his store.  Good luck on the NES game - hopefully your luck is better than mine; I never in my 1.5 years of playing won all three raffle prizes frown

That said, I did pop it back in tonight just for old times sake - man, there are a lot of weeds when you don't play it for 7+ months smile  Guess I'll have to boot it up again late tonight so I can have the town ghost clear them for me...

I simply can't wait for the DS version of this game - it just screams for online play.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 07:37:19 AM »

Animal Crossing seems like it would work better on the DS than on the Cube. AC DS is going to push a lot of units me thinks.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 12:41:31 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"

My feelings exactly.

Then I'm glad you sold me your copy!  I'm finding it entrancing and yet I'm not quite sure why.  My family watches me play and they are glued to the TV along with me.

Weird, weird stuff.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 03:06:00 PM »

Dimmona:
Guess I'll have to boot it up again late tonight so I can have the town ghost clear them for me...

oh, man!!!  i played that game for-Everrr, and this is new to me.  reading all these posts i was thinking of going back and playing again, but the idea of the weeds held me back.  if it's not too much of a spoiler, can you post how to do it, or PM me if it is?

or is this an April Fools joke? :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2005, 03:15:08 PM »

Well, if you walk around town really late at night (between midnight and 4am) you will run into a ghost named Wisp.  Talk to him and he'll offer to pull all of the town's weeds for you - quite handy when you haven't played for a few months and your town is festering jungle smile

Wisp shows up at a random location during that time, so sometimes you have to hunt around for him quite a bit but it's well worth it...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2005, 03:25:21 PM »

thanks, Dimmona! that sounds vaguely familiar now, but i think i've never run into said ghost. i'll try it though - i'm sure "festering jungle" is exactly what my towns look like now.

another newb tip:  don't hit Reset on your machine, or you'll regret it!  well, you can do it once, without suffering too much, but you wouldn't want to do it twice... :twisted:  (also not an April Fool's joke) Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2005, 08:18:14 PM »

Do NOT make me buy this game again for the Cube.

Tongue
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2005, 08:49:46 PM »

I can`t wait for this on the DS.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2005, 09:52:30 PM »

BTW, there's a great Animal Crossing site with everything you'd ever want to know right here...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2005, 12:57:13 AM »

whoa! sent dimmona's code to doc yesterday, & today, in his response, he flipped out, calling it gibberish! smile ...

so, from the top, take 2 (wish these codes weren't sooo complicated)...

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2005, 02:05:05 AM »

Ah crap, that might have been one of the codes where I had to type in the name of my town in order to generate it - hence it might not work for you...

Here, try this instead:
1) Go to the offical site
2) Go to the 'Play' menu
3) Go to the 'Know the Code' button on the bottom.  I think they change out the codes every so often.  For a while they were giving away codes to the various NES games; who knows what item they're giving out now.

Alternately:
1) On a new memory card create a second town named 'Bozeman' and a birthday of 1/25/74 (my town + b-day)
2) Try entering the password I had above
3) After you get your NES game, go 'visit' your original town and drop the game off there.

BTW, the Official Site is really cool - they have tools to help you generate your own tunes, patterns, etc. online.

Edit:
Ah cool, so you can still get NES soccer off the site (and possibly more games):
1) Go to the Nature page
2) At the bottom, watch the little flash conversation between the two characters.  Keep clicking on it to advance it, until it pops up a window that will let you enter your town/b-day info to get a new code.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2005, 05:05:05 AM »

Nintendo Europe is still giving away the code for PUNCHOUT on it's website, in case you were interested... i might be able to dig out a link for you, but I saw it on cheapassgamer's nintendo forum. I don't own AC anymore, and I am going to wait until the DS version comes.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2005, 03:50:32 PM »

Awesome.  I'm not sure if it will work with the US version or not, but I gave it a whirl anyways smile

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2005, 05:47:48 PM »

dimmona -

thanks for the suggestions, tho i'm at least gonna resend one more time before resorting to plan b (& c & d). i have checked out both the community & official sites, & sent out one of the codes i found, but haven't spent nearly enough time at either (so much to see! so much to do!)...

&, naturally, having read mytocles' post, i had to reset once, triggering off the close encounter with resetti, which was the funniest (& scariest) sequence so far (no, i won't be trying it a second time)...

if there's a sorely missing character in my town at this point, it's definitely a therapist - i'm noticing some severe bi-polar behaviors in a number of residents (particularly nibbles!), not to mention (is it the water?) an unnatural tendency over-all toward mild, but noticeable, forms of schizophrenia. kinda makes me wish i had a couch so i could give it a shot myself (tho i might live to regret it? - *shudder!*)...

nice seeing how many people up here love this game - it's easily as unique & deserving of a cult following as anything i've ever played...

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2005, 08:04:49 PM »

semiconscious, don't forget to add mild cases of kleptomanic behavior.  I think I did one Fed-ex job for one of the townanimals and they told me that they saw another townanimal sneaking out of their house.  And there seems to be a very pervasive sense of passive-aggresiveness running through the town.  Everyone's angry at everyone else for keeping borrowed objects longer than they should and instead of talking to each other about it, you're always getting caught up in the middle of it.

Flannery O'Connor
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2005, 10:23:46 PM »

heh, so i'm sitting here plinking at my laptop, trying to clear the cobwebs from a nap, and now i have a dilemma.  i have been playing Chronicles of Riddick and enjoying it a lot - and reading this thread and enjoying it a lot, along with the fond/ silly memories.  i'm thinking i'll start playing a game soon - but can't decide which!  now, semiconscious, there's another classic pair for you - Riddick vs. Animal Crossing, LOL... :?

of course, i have to either set my Cube clock to midnight and look for Wisp, or i have to start some vigorous weed-pulling.  i should get the town ready - it's getting close to concert time... Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2005, 08:34:12 PM »

geez, what a deceptive addictive game.  Tom Nook added some room to my house (the crook didn't tell me it would cost so much!) and I spent about four hours fishing for red snappers to pay him off.  I was thoroughly entertained the entire time.  My girlfriend came over and stared at the screen for a few seconds and said, "I don't see how that could be any fun."  Sigh.

I just had Tom put in a basement so I guess I'll be fishing some more to try and pay that off.  I'm probably putting his damn kids through college singlehandedly.

Flannery O'Connor
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2005, 09:21:10 PM »

Quote from: "RightBastard"
I just had Tom put in a basement so I guess I'll be fishing some more to try and pay that off.  I'm probably putting his damn kids through college singlehandedly.

meaning you've paid off the (extremely pricey - but there was wood-rot, after all) first 'expansion'? - i'm impressed!...

i've been newbie psping, but just got my scanner & some cards, so's it's probably time i revisit the hood (haven't witnessed any thievery yet, but the passive-aggresive thing's definitely there - the fact that people are 'borrowing' each other's organizers is sorta strange in itself)...

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2005, 11:09:41 PM »

You have been sucked into the black hole known as Animal Crossing! That game got regular use at my house for nearly two years! We had four memory cards with a town on each one.

Just when I thought it was never going to get played again, my daughter drags it out yesterday and starts a new town!! Oh no... here we go again!

Resistance is futile...

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2005, 11:15:30 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
another newb tip:  don't hit Reset on your machine, or you'll regret it!  well, you can do it once, without suffering too much, but you wouldn't want to do it twice... :twisted:  (also not an April Fool's joke) Tongue

I started a town just so I could try supposedly risky things, and I reset many many times in a row without any real consequences. Resetti gets really ticked and after a certain number of resets he makes you think he's just wigged out your memory card (what a heart stopper!), but it was a big hoot!!

The worst part about resetting is having to page through all of Resetti's drivel while he lectures you.

You can't say you've seen everything in AC unless you've reset at least once!!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2005, 11:49:05 PM »

Paulbot!  Weren't you the one who had the webpage going for a while with your weekly AC exploits?  I loved that thing...

Since I was up until 2am last night playing Splinter Cell/WoW, I decided to go ahead and try to find the ghost - 20 minutes later I gave up.  I know he's supposed to show up in a random location b/t midnight and 4am, but what I'm no longer sure about is if he's there during that whole time period.  I've found him a few times right away, but other times I'll turn over every single rock and stone in the place to no avail.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2005, 12:24:56 AM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"

meaning you've paid off the (extremely pricey - but there was wood-rot, after all) first 'expansion'? - i'm impressed!...

Nook pays 3000 bells for a red snapper so I emptied 10 spaces in my inventory and spent hours running back and forth on the beach, fishing until I caught my limit.  Then ran back, sold 'em off, rinse, lather, repeat.  I've got a basement and an inventory full of snappers and barred knifejacks (5000 bells a pop!) but that lazy Tom Nook took the damn day off (probably so he could spend some of the money he's made off of me) so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to cash in.  I was a bit worried when I saw how much the addition to the house cost but bells are pretty easy to acquire if you're willing to do a little mindless work.  But damn if it isn't fun and engaging mindless work.

Flannery O'Connor
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2005, 12:38:36 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Since I was up until 2am last night playing Splinter Cell/WoW, I decided to go ahead and try to find the ghost - 20 minutes later I gave up.  I know he's supposed to show up in a random location b/t midnight and 4am, but what I'm no longer sure about is if he's there during that whole time period.  I've found him a few times right away, but other times I'll turn over every single rock and stone in the place to no avail.

just reset the clock (after my psp adventure, no way i wanted my wife finding me playing ac at 2am - that just might've been the last straw), found the ghost (it is a bit tricky) & got my weeds pulled... & then the music started! music like i'd never heard before (in ac, anyway), & i figured it must be the concert mytocles mentioned! run to the station, but nothings going on, run around frantically for another 15 minutes... & never did find anything (damn!)... so what the heck was that?...

warning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2005, 12:48:03 AM »

I'm new to this game.  My wife started a town named "stardom".  She'd been playing a little too much Katamari Damacy I think.  Anyway I started a character and have been playing out of her town.  Is this a good idea or should I start a new town of my own on a separate memory card?

Also, I got the GBA link-up feature to work once by random chance and can't get it to work again.  Anyone care to give me a step-by-step on this?
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2005, 01:06:24 AM »

I go in and out of likeing this game. Right now I dont, but just a couple of weeks ago I played it each day. It just gets kind of boring after a while, the thing is nothing really changes. Its the same thing everyday. Great game that I will never sell because it always pulls me back, but geez, just thinking of turning it on again makes me feel like im doing a chore all over again.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2005, 02:08:28 AM »

~~~~~~VERY MINOR SPOILERs (MORE LIKE HELPFUL HINTS, LOL)~~~~~~

I'm new to this game. My wife started a town named "stardom". She'd been playing a little too much Katamari Damacy I think. Anyway I started a character and have been playing out of her town. Is this a good idea or should I start a new town of my own on a separate memory card?

two things - if you're going to start a town, name it something short, if you end up writing letters, it's good to include the name of your town, and  "happy" words ("fun", "cool", etc.) plus your name and the letter receiver's name - so keep it simple.  the other thing is to remember that imported fruit, from another town, is worth lots more than domestic (maybe $500 vs. $100, something like that).  a few annoying train trips and you have a nice bit of money.  if someone you know has the other town, you can each just leave fruit from your town in front of their house, or right outside of Nook's.

and the GBA link thing (to your island, right?) - you have to use it at a specific place, it's not random... at a particular dock... (maybe at a certain time, too, can't remember :? )

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: