http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 04:39:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And so my 360 comes to an end...  (Read 1433 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2007, 11:50:44 PM »

My 360 started acting funny last week, and my guess is that it's going to crap out in the near future.  I got the 1 RROD last week error (solved by a reboot), and last night it simply froze up twice in the middle of games (once in GHII and once in NCAA 08.  Again, both solved by a reboot).  No RROD, the system just completely locked after about 20 minutes of play.  I set the Blue Dragon demo to start this afternoon, and it hard locked once during the dl process.  My gut feeling is that it will be giving up the ghost pretty soon.

A couple questions, since I can't get through to X-Box this afternoon (was on hold for 45 minutes before giving up):

1.  The original warranty is 1 year from date of purchase (Feb 07 for this unit).  If I splurge for the extended 2-year warranty, is it 2 years from the date I purchase the warranty, or 2 years from the date the original warranty expires?

2.  If I have to send the system in and get a new refurb unit, does the warranty period start over for the new unit?  (unlikely, but figured I'd ask).  Sub-question:  Is there any good way to avoid the dreaded refurb loop, or are you pretty much just screwed once you send your system in?

3.  Is the 2-year plan a flat fee, or do they prorate it based on how much time you have left on your original warranty?

I was hoping I'd be one of the lucky 50% without problems, but it's looking more and more like that's not going to happen.  Sad thing is, the system is as ventilated as it can possibly be (sitting on the top of a TV stand with nothing over or around it, power brick isolated by itself about 3 feet away) and has been very gently used.  Hopefully if I get it in now, I can get it back by the time Blue Dragon comes out.  frown
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 01:07:33 AM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:59:10 PM »

I thought Microsoft's new 3-year warranty policy meant that you didn't need to purchase anything additional to have this work covered for free...?

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 12:01:32 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 11, 2007, 11:59:10 PM

I thought Microsoft's new 3-year warranty policy meant that you didn't need to purchase anything additional to have this work covered for free...?

-Autistic Angel

Only on those systems that die with 3 RROD, which mine isn't.  It randomly freezes up, but there's no RROD error when I reset it.

One other question:  The only thing on the hard drive I care about is my Guitar Hero II save file.  Can that be transferred to a standard USB memory stick, or do you have to get a specific 360 memory card?

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 12:05:31 AM »

Quote from: Gratch
Only on those systems that die with 3 RROD, which mine isn't.  It randomly freezes up, but there's no RROD error when I reset it.

I think you'll find that if you can get in touch with them and *say* that it has the 3 RROD, your free 360 coffin will be in the mail promptly.

I'm afraid I don't know about your other questions.  icon_frown

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 01:07:18 AM »

OK, one more question.  Can you purchase the extended warranty after the original unit has been sent in for service?  I won't have the money for a couple weeks, but my 360 is now locking even when I just try to play a DVD, so it's fairly useless. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 03:53:39 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 12, 2007, 01:07:18 AM

OK, one more question.  Can you purchase the extended warranty after the original unit has been sent in for service?  I won't have the money for a couple weeks, but my 360 is now locking even when I just try to play a DVD, so it's fairly useless. 

They did send me something about purchasing the extended warranty after I got mine back.  I put it aside and forgot about it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 04:27:31 AM »

Just tell them you're getting the RROD and the hell with Microsoft. Get that console replaced for free.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 05:16:31 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 12, 2007, 01:07:18 AM

You should be able to I purchased my extended warranty when I got my xbox360 back for the third time.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 05:39:18 AM »

...and mine died tonight too.

Last week it started freaking out a little bit, telling me discs were unreadable or dirty.  In the last two days it's begun freezing randomly on me, until now it's at the point where it won't even complete it's boot cycle before it freezes up.  No Red Rings of Death - just a green ring and frozen (sometimes with a lovely static noise).  I purchased it in April of 2006, but didn't go online until about Jan of 2007... I heard they use your first Live date as your warranty date?  Any truth to that?

So I guess I'll be calling MS tomorrow too.  What's the consensus - tell them it's the RRoD even if it isn't?  Won't they test it before fixing it?  Or do they just flat out send a replacement regardless?  How do I keep my save games, and profile, and Live Arcade games, etc?  A memory card won't do me any good if I can't get into the desktop...  If I lose my GH2 saves I will be seriously pissed off.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 12:50:04 PM »

To all you guys-sorry to hear this. What a pain in the ass. Hope it all works out.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 01:22:14 PM »

tell em you got an RROD, but now it just freezes on boot.

try booting without the HD connected.
if it doesn't change anything, keep the Hard Disk for yourself, and mail the system in without it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 01:40:25 PM »

Mine is actually still under the 1 year warranty, so thankfully I'll be fine without having to fake a 3 RROD error.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 03:01:50 PM »

I haven't touched my 360 in about a month- I'm almost dreading turning it back on.

Because I can,
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 06:27:41 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 12, 2007, 01:22:14 PM

tell em you got an RROD, but now it just freezes on boot.

try booting without the HD connected.
if it doesn't change anything, keep the Hard Disk for yourself, and mail the system in without it.

Well, it's not the HD - dies after 3 minutes without the HD attached too, although at least I got to the dashboard this time.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 12:01:10 AM »

Just received an e-mail that my unit is being shipped back today, and I'll have it on Thursday. 

I take that back.  A unit is being shipped back to me, but it's not my original one.  They include the serial number of the unit in the shipping confirmation e-mail, and it's different than the one I sent back to them.   I'm hoping for a new unit and not a refurb, but am certainly not holding my breath.  Assuming it arrives Thursday, total turn around time will be 3 1/2 weeks from the time I reported it, to the time I get it back.  Not too bad, really.

One question:  Does a unit with a new serial number cause problems when the old hard drive is hooked up to it?

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 12:31:45 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 07, 2007, 12:01:10 AM

Just received an e-mail that my unit is being shipped back today, and I'll have it on Thursday. 

I take that back.  A unit is being shipped back to me, but it's not my original one.  They include the serial number of the unit in the shipping confirmation e-mail, and it's different than the one I sent back to them.   I'm hoping for a new unit and not a refurb, but am certainly not holding my breath.  Assuming it arrives Thursday, total turn around time will be 3 1/2 weeks from the time I reported it, to the time I get it back.  Not too bad, really.

One question:  Does a unit with a new serial number cause problems when the old hard drive is hooked up to it?

you need to call customer service, they will get your points spent refunded and put on to a new gamertage so you can re-download stuff and associate it to the new system. Otherwise you have to be logged into LIve with the gamertag that you used to purchase the items to be able to play them.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 01:01:28 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 07, 2007, 12:01:10 AM

I've swapped my HD in and out of a few 360's (my old one, my new one and a core I bought a friend) without any issues.

Because I can,
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 09:48:10 PM »

Yeah the only issue is with playing XBLA games off-line.  Other than that it is meant to be able to be switched around to different 360's.  I've taken mine over to a friend's to show various trailers that they didn't want to spend the time downloading.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 07:23:03 PM »

Manufacture date on the one I returned:  10/9/06

Manufacture date on the refurb unit I got back today:  5/1/06

Any guesses on how long this one lasts?  Hey MS:   finger

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 07:33:41 PM »

1-6 months unless they put the new heatsink into it.  Then I have no idea.

Chances of me selling/trading-in my current 360 for an elite or new HDMI/Falcon premium in the next month?  right around 100%

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 08:24:07 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 09, 2007, 07:23:03 PM

Manufacture date on the one I returned:  10/9/06

Manufacture date on the refurb unit I got back today:  5/1/06

Any guesses on how long this one lasts?  Hey MS:   finger

Boy, did you get it up the ass.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 08:57:09 PM »

Not if they heatsinked it.
Then it's pretty valid.

Does anyone have that link on how to check without cracking open the 360? Is there a weight test?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: