http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 09:33:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And EA needs all your personal information why?  (Read 905 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2006, 01:56:22 AM »

Yeah, I guess I'm attacking EA left and right this week, but they just make it so damn easy to do so.

Via Bill Harris again, here's some of the fine print that everybody ignores when they sign up for an EA account on Live:

If you sign up to play EA games through Microsoft’s Xbox Live Service, Microsoft will provide your Xbox Live user account information to EA so that we can establish an EA Online account for you. You need an EA Online account to play EA’s Xbox Live titles. By signing up to play EA's Xbox Live titles, you agree that Microsoft can transfer your user account information to EA.

Information collected will vary depending upon the activity and may include your name, e-mail address, phone number, mobile number, home address, birth date and credit card information. In addition, we may collect demographic information such as gender, zip code, information about your computer, hardware, software, platform, media, Internet IP address and connection, information about online activity such as feature usage, game play statistics and scores, user rankings and click paths and other data that you may provide in surveys or online profiles, for instance. We may combine demographic information with personal information.

(bolded where he did)

So...thoughts?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 01:59:59 AM »

Well I don't have Xbox Live (not gonna "pay to play" when I can jump on PC/PS2 for free) I don't see what they need your credit card information for.
I know a lot of us here don't care for EA, but one awesome looking game (that I'm hoping also sees a 360 release) is Battlefield 2142 and guess who publishes it..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 02:03:13 AM »

This is why, after I switched banks recently, I haven't put my new debit card information anywhere NEAR my Live account.  I only pick up marketplace points by purchasing the cards available at retail.

Frankly, I find all this shady EULA crap to be just that:  bullshit.

I still contest that, if we're going to be held liable for these EULA's, then companies should be forced to have us read and sign them prior to purchasing their games.

Of course, they wouldn't like that, because we'd just say "screw you" and go play indie games instead.

This EULA shit has gone on long enough from too many companies, though EA is swiftly becoming one of the worst offenders.  Sadly, this is far and away not limited to the game industry either.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 02:19:48 AM »

EA has never directly asked me for my CC number and so what if they get the info from Live?  I like getting an email after I finish playing an EA sports game online that tells me the final score and information about the game.  Have they ever unknowingly charged your card?  Do they send you spam emails?  Do they call you at night?  No,no,no,no.  This is just another jump on the EA hate wagon thing and I believe there was a thread about the exact same thing a couple months ago.

out of a

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 02:21:16 AM »

How is EA going to get my credit card information unless I give it to them.  I may be naive, but I seriously doubt that Microsoft is just handing that information out to EA for the hell of it.  I can understand (but not like) MS sharing my info with EA, but credit card info?  Unless I sign up for something like an EA-published MMORPG I don't see why they'd need it.

Something like, say, NCAA downloadable rosters are handled through the Marketplace, not EA.  Or is EA going to charge directly and not worry about the Microsoft Points system?

I agree with Farscry.  I was wondering what I was going to do with my brand new copy of NCAA Football 2007 for the 360 if I didn't agree with the EULA.  I obviously can't return it to EB.  Is EA going to send me a refund?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 02:51:23 AM »

There was a bit of a discussion on this a few weeks back over at OO.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 02:57:09 AM »

Even if they had my CC info, what the hell would they do with it?  A simple call to Amex, Visa, et al saying "That wasn't me, I didn't authorize that kthx" solves all the issues.

gellar
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 01:46:21 PM »

Not everyone values their privacy as much as I do.  It's all about the slippery slope, and when it comes to privacy, I want things to stay as high up on that slope as possible.

Unless I specifically give someone information, I don't like any of my information just given away.

As for this point:
Quote from: "GatorFavre"
This is just another jump on the EA hate wagon

Note the conclusion of my earlier post:
Quote from: "Farscry"
This EULA shit has gone on long enough from too many companies, though EA is swiftly becoming one of the worst offenders. Sadly, this is far and away not limited to the game industry either.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 01:52:48 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
So...thoughts?
It's a wad of fake legalese bunk that would be struck down by any court the moment EA actually abused it.

IIRC, there's already legal precedence that suggests clickthrough EULAs aren't legitimate legal documents (I think the reasoning went that you were agreeing to their terms under duress -- there was no way to decline or protest part of the EULA and legally use the software you just purchased).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 05:36:38 PM »

And by the way, I love it when EA sends me a $15 off coupon for my birthday each year.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 05:37:39 PM »

*cough*little late*cough* http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=6410 *cough*

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 05:51:54 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
IIRC, there's already legal precedence that suggests clickthrough EULAs aren't legitimate legal documents (I think the reasoning went that you were agreeing to their terms under duress -- there was no way to decline or protest part of the EULA and legally use the software you just purchased).

I do remember something like that a while back, actually. I'd have to go digging around if that still holds true or not though.

Quote from: "Graham"

Apparently I missed that somehow. Oh, and you might want to get that cough looked at. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: