http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 01:59:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And....a new PS3 SKU for the US  (Read 2953 times)
Brendan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

two oh sickness

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2007, 03:54:29 PM »

Press release follows.  Basic details are as expected:  $399, comes with Spiderman 3, no backwards compatibility with PS2 games, "reflecting the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles."  Also, price of the 80gb moves to $499.

-----------------------

Sony Computer Entertainment America Announces New 40GB Playstation(R)3 (PS3(TM)) Configuration and Price Reduction Of Current 80GB Model

New 40GB Model to be Available in North America on November 2nd for $399; Effective Immediately, 80GB PS3 to be Priced at $499

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Oct. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. (SCEA) today announced plans to introduce a new 40GB model of its PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) computer entertainment system. Beginning November 2nd, to further enhance the HD entertainment experience, the new 40GB PS3 model will come bundled with the blockbuster movie Spider-Man(TM) 3 Blu-ray Disc(TM) (BD) from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, and will be available in North America for a suggested retail price of $399 (USD/CND). The company also announced that effective immediately, the current 80GB PS3 model will be available in North America for $499 (USD/CND), $100 below the original launch price.

"We're pleased to offer the consumer a lower price point without sacrificing the core technology components that make PS3 the most advanced high-definition entertainment system available. Every PS3 comes with a Blu-ray drive, HDMI output, an integrated Wi-Fi connection, Cell Broadband Engine and a built-in hard-drive," said Jack Tretton, President and CEO, SCEA. "This holiday season we'll be able to offer attractive retail pricing with a broad portfolio of outstanding games including Ratchet & Clank(R) Future: Tools of Destruction(TM), THE EYE OF JUDGMENT(TM), Uncharted: Drake's Fortune(TM), Heavenly Sword(TM), Call of Duty(R) 4: Modern Warfare, Assassin's Creed(TM), Haze(TM) and RockBand(TM)."

The new 40GB PS3 will no longer play PlayStation(R)2 titles, reflecting the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles. Consumers looking for backwards compatibility can take advantage of the limited PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility of the 80GB PS3.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 03:55:42 PM »

This looks somehow familiar....

Anyway - yea, I'm not sure what to make of the loss of backwards compatability.  Personally, I use the hell out of it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 03:57:02 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 18, 2007, 03:54:29 PM

Consumers looking for backwards compatibility can take advantage of the limited PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility of the 80GB PS3.

So they finally admitted it, eh?

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:57:52 PM »

You know, I have no clue about what PS3s are out and what the pricing is.  Sony has changed shit so much I can't keep things together anymore.

gellar
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 04:07:12 PM »

Quote from: gellar on October 18, 2007, 03:57:52 PM

You know, I have no clue about what PS3s are out and what the pricing is.  Sony has changed shit so much I can't keep things together anymore.

gellar

quick version:
new model = $400
former model = $500

original model = rip

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 04:09:09 PM »

I have a robust PS2 library that I'd be interested in using on a PS3, but because the exclusives still don't interest me, I can't imagine buying one until I can get one used for $200 or less.

Actually, the card game interests me, but not until I see some reviews.  What's up with the ALL CAPS name?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 04:37:33 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 18, 2007, 04:07:12 PM

Quote from: gellar on October 18, 2007, 03:57:52 PM

gellar

quick version:
new model = $400
former model = $500

original model = rip

Actually, there was the original 20GB = RIP and the NTSC 60GB = RIP both had hardware BC, and then the PAL 60GB = RIP with limited software BC.  Now there is the 80GB with limited software BC and Motorstorm, and the 40GB with Spiderman 3 and no BC.  And that's not getting into the differences in Wi-Fi, number of USB ports or memory card slots. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 04:56:53 PM »

It looks like the new 40gb SKU has wifi - did they actually ship one without it?  I really can't remember anymore.

I assume the lack of mention of memory card slots means they're gone.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 05:09:32 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on October 18, 2007, 03:57:02 PM

Quote from: Brendan on October 18, 2007, 03:54:29 PM

Consumers looking for backwards compatibility can take advantage of the limited PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility of the 80GB PS3.

So they finally admitted it, eh?

That jumped out at me as well.  Do these guys have Microsoft writing for them or something?  Press releases are generally an opportunity free advertising, not for belittling yourself.

Quote from: Brendan on October 18, 2007, 04:56:53 PM

It looks like the new 40gb SKU has wifi - did they actually ship one without it?  I really can't remember anymore.

I assume the lack of mention of memory card slots means they're gone.

It has Wi-Fi; the old 20GB version is the only version without.

The flash card reader is gone, and two USB slots were cut.  Also, all the LEDs have been changed to red in order to save an extra 30 cents per unit.  Ok maybe not that last one, but almost.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 05:21:51 PM »

...and it's made from refurbished 360 parts... that means it has more than twice the market demand covered and more than covers it's use.

/flees!

slywink

So they've announced much-needed price-drops but people still aren't happy? Is it because the interest isn't there, or because their PR department has come under such scrutiny that them trying to reach a path of honesty makes them seem... less-than-excitable?

This time next year PS3 will be a contender.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 05:22:27 PM »

so are they going to lower the price on the 60 gigs that are still out there?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 05:30:41 PM »

No. They're now charging the PS3 80GB price plus a PS2 slim. Oh, and it comes with a vibrator strapped to the controller for backwards rumble compatibility.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 05:45:35 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 18, 2007, 05:21:51 PM

So they've announced much-needed price-drops but people still aren't happy? Is it because the interest isn't there, or because their PR department has come under such scrutiny that them trying to reach a path of honesty makes them seem... less-than-excitable?

Here's what I found of interest to me regarding the PS3 and their status now (i.e. the things that I would eventually be interested in purchasing it for):

Hardware BC that upscales my PS2 library (and, I think, still plays PS1 games?) - gone
The Final Fantasy main franchise games - exclusive for now, but I question that in the long-term
The Dragon Quest franchise - DQ9 went to the DS, and honestly, I would expect DQ10 to also either show up on the DS or end up on the Wii to maximize sales.
Top-notch JRPG's - These are, more and more, heading to the DS and PSP rather than to the "main" consoles. None of the current-gen systems has a strong jrpg lineup currently available, and while the PS3 initially looked the strongest (due to Sony enjoying the strongest jrpg lineup for the last two generations running), it's actually more and more up in the air. I think a lot of the jrpg developers outside of Square-Enix are working on the DS & PSP while they wait to see which system gets the lion's share of Square-Enix's support, and then they'll throw their hat into the same box.

If you look at my PS2 library, it's mostly rpg's and a mixture of a few other big titles. Gran Turismo has been replaced by Forza for me with the incredible Forza 2. Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 was incredible, MGS2 was ok, and I never bothered with MGS3. MGS4 is practically off my radar at this point. I had a smattering of sports titles split between the PS2 & Cube. And a few nice platformers (Jak & Daxter in particular) that I grabbed since I had a PS2 anyway and they looked fun. The only one on this non-rpg list that was a killer app for me was GT3. My PS1 library was pretty much exclusively rpg/srpg's with only two notable exceptions: MGS1 and Symphony of the Night.

As of right now, the PS3 simply isn't of interest to me. With the loss of the BC, it'll be that much more of an uphill battle for Sony to win a purchase from me down the road, and honestly, I don't see it happening. The PSP is looking great now and will likely get a buy from me next year though.

[edited for tpyoez]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 06:01:47 PM by Farscry » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 05:47:43 PM »

If you're referring to my red LED comment, it's just that I find it odd what they feel necessary to cut in order to make the $400 pricetag viable.

After an exhaustive 10 second search, I see I can buy a 4 port USB hub for $5, a flash card reader for $4, and I'm not even a multi billion dollar company with wholesale purchasing power and manufacturing facilities around the world.  If they're already losing several hundred dollars on each one sold, what's an extra 5% for a $10 backwards compatibility chip?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 05:50:11 PM »

I haven't seen an official announcement for Canada, but based on pricing changes that Futureshop made only this morning I can tell it's more or less official. You can now buy the 60 GB for 479 -no game included- and the 80 GB has been dropped to 499 with Enchanted Arms bundled in. This new 40 GB SKU hasn't been listed yet. This really changes things for me now and probably means I'm going to be in a 'wait and see' mode until the New Year.

Until 2 days ago it was more or less a given that my next console would be a 360, but then the new 360 holiday bundle (Forza 2 + MUA) appeared on the futureshop website. And and to my absolute amazement it includes the non-HDMI, older 360 sans inadequate heatsink! Since it has a new box complete with the 'Go Pro' logo, this tells me that Microsoft Canada has gone to the trouble to remove 360's from older boxes and put them in new boxes. I've had money sitting in an account for months awaiting the newer zephyr board 360's and guess what, unless I want the pukey green Halo edition I'm SOL! I can't even begin to convey in words how pissed off I am  at Microsoft right now! My frustration level may not be as high as HankRaptor's, but I'll bet it's just a few notches lower.

I'm now possibly going to wait until early spring to see how things shape up or fall out.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 06:00:15 PM »

Backwards compatibility is cool and all, and it's still available currently in the 20 gig model, the 80 gig model, and the 60 gig model. Just because they aren't making more doesn't mean you can't buy one. If it's important to you, cough up the coin and get it while you can.

If you want it, don't buy the 40? I don't get how this is so confusing, especially considering the 360 has the same psychotic SKU variety (and NONE of them have a built in HD video player!)

Isn't the Sony bashing old yet?

I mean, it's not like the screwed up the ability for developers to rely on a hard disk by omitting it in their core system. This is a truly optional feature, and screws nobody looking to play PS3 games or Bluray movies with it.

I can think of another console MFG that is getting a big pass on their flaws for reasons I can't begin to comprehend.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 06:08:58 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on October 18, 2007, 06:00:15 PM

Backwards compatibility is cool and all, and it's still available currently in the 20 gig model, the 80 gig model, and the 60 gig model. Just because they aren't making more doesn't mean you can't buy one. If it's important to you, cough up the coin and get it while you can.

Or....if it's important to me I can wait and see if it becomes available at an affordable price. 

If you want it, don't buy the 40? I don't get how this is so confusing, especially considering the 360 has the same psychotic SKU variety (and NONE of them have a built in HD video player!)

Who has said there's a gun to their head forcing them to buy a 40GB?  A PS3 available at $400 is a Really Good Thing® but for people like me who value backwards compatiblity--especially with the enormous PS2 library--it's not the Really Good Thing® we've been waiting for.  And where did the 360 come into this conversation?

"Not praise" = "Sony bashing"  Got it.  When discussing pros and cons of a new SKU, we are to omit the cons.

I mean, it's not like the screwed up the ability for developers to rely on a hard disk by omitting it in their core system. This is a truly optional feature, and screws nobody looking to play PS3 games or Bluray movies with it.

I can think of another console MFG that is getting a big pass on their flaws for reasons I can't begin to comprehend.

Don't speak of any negatives with the 40GB PS3 because the 360 sucks and Microsoft sucks and Bill Gates has a bad hair cut.  Got it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 06:12:27 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 06:10:04 PM »

Quote from: somoflange

If budget wasn't a concern for me, I'd possibly have grabbed the 60GB PS3. But as I've noted in previous threads, budget IS a concern for me. So when the system reaches my price range, it won't have one of my key features. How hard is that to understand?

As for the HD player, that's irrelevant for me. Until an HD format is decided and prices come down, I have no need (or budget) to replace my DVD collection.

It's not Sony bashing to point out what keeps the PS3 from being an interesting buy any more than it is to point out that the 360's pathetic hardware reliability record keeps it from being a wise purchase for many people.

I mean, it's not like the screwed up the ability for developers to rely on a hard disk by omitting it in their core system.

MS making the 360 hard drive optional at launch was a big mistake. Fortunately we haven't hit a point where it's hurt developers much in making their games as good or better on the 360 as on the PS3.

MS isn't getting a big pass from me. The difference is that the 360's pro's far outweighed the con's for me enough to warrant my purchase. I could only get one, not both. I went with what all indications pointed out to be the stronger gaming system for me. I've got my DS and PS2 for my rpg fix, and the 360 for everything else.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 06:14:58 PM »

Well, it still costs too much, but dropping the price by $200 (for a WiFi enabled PS3) in less than one year is a nice start Sony. I am a little ticked at removing PS2 backwards compatibility since upscaling would be fun, but I might forgive you when you come down further in price. Please do not remove the HDMI port or WiFi on further price drops.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 06:19:09 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on October 18, 2007, 06:00:15 PM

nope.

and for the record, you're supposed to post anything immediately after my posts from now on.

Tongue

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 06:19:51 PM »

In my case, it's because the games aren't there. The price is right, show me the games!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 06:35:19 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 18, 2007, 06:19:51 PM

In my case, it's because the games aren't there. The price is right, show me the games!

This is the only thing that's preventing me from going out and grabbing a PS3 today. I have the money, but without a decent list of announced games it wouldn't be a wise purchase. I could even benefit from the BRD, but I'm not in the habit of buying consoles for anything other than playing games. Not having BC for PS2 games won't fly for me either, as I just don't have enough inputs on my HDTV to accommodate both units and I don't really want to buy a HDMI switcher.
With things the way they are right now in Canada, I'll likely be buying a PSP very soon and possibly upgrading my PC.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 06:36:15 PM »

Is the 20GB PS3 a collector's item now? I went and Amazon and a new 20 gig console runs from $560-$900(!). How ridiculous. I thought I might pick one up, assuming it would drop in price to a $350-$399 price point.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 06:39:46 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 18, 2007, 06:36:15 PM

Is the 20GB PS3 a collector's item now? I went and Amazon and a new 20 gig console runs from $560-$900(!). How ridiculous. I thought I might pick one up, assuming it would drop in price to a $350-$399 price point.

It would be hilarious if the speculators who lost their shirts in the initial PS3 release were able to recoup their money by selling their remaindered 20gb PS3s to consumers dissatisfied with Sony's new models.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 07:34:18 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 18, 2007, 06:39:46 PM

It would be hilarious if the speculators who lost their shirts in the initial PS3 release were able to recoup their money by selling their remaindered 20gb PS3s to consumers dissatisfied with Sony's new models.

I'm considering putting my 60gig up on Ebay.  paranoid

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 07:37:43 PM »

Which one would you pick?

omgz
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 07:40:33 PM »

Quote from: Rubyeye on October 18, 2007, 07:37:43 PM

The 60GB, but they're all overpriced. icon_wink

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 08:04:36 PM »

You can get a used one for 370.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007, 08:49:27 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 18, 2007, 04:09:09 PM

What's up with the ALL CAPS name?

Because Sony likes talking about themselves IN BIG GIANT LETTERS. It makes them feel more important.

Seriously - in every PR piece, the full name of the PS3 is ALWAYS in caps.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007, 08:52:34 PM »

Yeah, but this game also follows that stupid convention.

THE EYE OF JUDGMENT.

ARGH!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2007, 09:20:15 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 18, 2007, 08:52:34 PM

THE EYE OF JUDGMENT.

Yeah, it's obvious, but I couldn't resist...

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2007, 09:29:30 PM »

I definitely lol'd at this news.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2007, 11:29:36 PM »

In Japan I can get a new 20 gig PS3 for the equivalent of $380US.  Wouldn't that be more advantageous in almost every way to getting a gimped 40gig PS3 (or 80 gig?)
I see that the 40 gig will have wireless but the 20gig should at least be backwards compatible.  Any other issues that I'm missing?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 12:34:35 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on October 18, 2007, 09:20:15 PM

Quote from: Brendan on October 18, 2007, 08:52:34 PM

THE EYE OF JUDGMENT.

Yeah, it's obvious, but I couldn't resist...

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2007, 12:39:05 AM »

Why do you need the cards?

And the camera?

...I don't get it.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2007, 12:53:53 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer

Because it's a CCG in a video game format.

And the camera?

How would the game recognize the cards you were using?

...I don't get it.

You probably don't want to get it, but that's okay.

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2007, 12:55:55 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 19, 2007, 12:39:05 AM

And the camera?

...I don't get it.

Because I can,
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2007, 02:35:30 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 19, 2007, 12:53:53 AM

And the camera?

...I don't get it.

I don't get it either. Why aren't the cards on screen and just avoid the whole camera thing? It seems like playing Magic on a webcam. I haven't watched the movies or read anything about it though, so I am probably missing something.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2007, 02:52:25 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 19, 2007, 02:35:30 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 19, 2007, 12:53:53 AM

And the camera?

...I don't get it.

I don't get it either. Why aren't the cards on screen and just avoid the whole camera thing? It seems like playing Magic on a webcam. I haven't watched the movies or read anything about it though, so I am probably missing something.

Essentially, it's Magic on a webcam...but it has 3d monsters that spring to life, which is awesome and super geeky.  You can play the game without the webcam, on a normal 9x9 grid if you so choose.

TheMissingLink on PSN
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2007, 01:57:21 PM »

I read that the gain on the Bluetooth and the Wifi antennas in the 40 gig has been increased = more range???
I guess that might matter to some people?  I had considered buying one to use in my bedroom which is about as far away from my router as possible . . .  icon_confused
And now I'm wondering if backwards compatibility is even an issue for me . . . only have 5 or so PS2 games left (1 of them Guitar Hero 2) . . . and I can always play my PS1 games on my PSP . . .
Should I get the 60 and ditch the old PS2?  Should I get the 40 gig and get off $100 cheaper?  I would probably end up buying Motorstorm anyway . . . should I get the 80 gig?
Guess I am confused by the multiple sku approach . . .
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 02:00:39 PM by ras752000 » Logged

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: