http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:36:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Open Letter From Ion Storm (T:DS editor)  (Read 1339 times)
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2004, 10:42:05 PM »

Thief: DS lead designer Jordan Thomas posted this msg in our forum and I figured some of the folks here would be interested:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I come bearing the gift of hope. As many of you know, the studio has been through a great deal recently, and we have been preoccupied with the processes of adaptation and renewal. And, of course, we've been nurturing our next project through its infancy.

Beyond own trials, the industry itself is changing rapidly, and we continue to seek the right balance between our core values and consumer demand. That said, I suspect you will be pleased to learn that we have not forgotten about our existing fan base.

Nor shall we.

In that vein, I?m pleased to announce that we have been (quietly, by necessity) working for several months on the process of releasing the Deadly Shadows editing toolset to the fan community. This is not a guarantee; there are numerous technical and policy-based obstacles that remain to be negotiated.

And if they come, there may be features that you will either have to jury-rig or do without ? but believe me when I say that they remain incredibly powerful. On a personal level, I would love to see what you might achieve with them.

As a studio, we want you to know that we are doing our utmost to hand you the keys to The City. If we're able to make it happen, we?ll be as pleased as you are. Your continued interest and loyalty speak for themselves. These tools belong in your hands.

Regards and thanks,

Jordan Thomas

ION STORM

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 11:25:22 PM »

Yeah!!!..

At the moment, I think Thief 3 will get my person game of the year spot. Barring any huge upsets.

Goldy
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 02:11:30 AM »

Excellent news.  Thief 3 is my game of the year pick so far.  I hope this comes to pass and we get to see what the Thief community can create with this editor.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 02:15:52 AM »

Great news to hear, but I don't get why its talked about as this big process. Its just the editor, not a full SDK. FPS, RTS, and now even RPG games are having the editor come standard all the time now included with the game. Why has this been such a big deal in the first place?
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 02:57:21 AM »

Its just the editor, not a full SDK.

It's really not as simple as "just the editor"; my understanding from Dan (who is one the most experienced Thief mission authors) when he visited ISA is that it was all broken up into pieces and in a state where you required multiple different tools just to build functioning levels (including tools which they didn't have a license to distribute).  Basically there wasn't just one simple "editor", it was a mess due to how much ISA cut it up and continually rewrote it throughout development.

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 01:57:04 PM »

I will believe it when I see it.  I do not doubt the sincerity of Ion Storm, it is Eidos I do not trust.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: