http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 07:49:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs  (Read 960 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »

http://www.nextfrictionalgame.com/

Set in 1899, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs follows the "wealthy industrialist" Oswald Mandus, who has returned home from "a disastrous expedition to Mexico, which has ended in tragedy." Struck by a destructive fever, Mandus is haunted by dreams of a dark machine until he mysteriously regains consciousness. Months have passed, unbeknownst to the industry tycoon, and as he emerges from his slumber the roaring engine of a mysterious machine sputters to life.

it's not a direct sequel to the first game, but it is set in the same universe.  they're aiming for a Halloween launch too.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:42:32 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:19:34 AM »

a little interview about the game.

At its core, A Machine for Pigs follows the same terror-inducing principles as the first, but changes the gameplay to keep things fresh for veterans. "People going in will not know what to expect," Grip says, noting that elements from The Dark Descent have been ripped out of the game, and new ones have been added. Neither will budge on details, only to say it remains a first-person horror title. Both agree the game has a high bar to aspire to.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 03:50:35 PM »

a bit more about the game: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/167251/Amnesia_A_Machine_For_Pigs_A_collaboration_of_indie_horror.php

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 07:06:26 PM »

teaser video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4CagMNLxa9M

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 02:17:09 AM »

now they're saying Q2 2013 for its release.  the best par about the delays?

How come a game meant for Halloween 2012 has been delayed for so long? Originally we thought it would be a short, experimental game set in the universe of Amnesia, but thechineseroom had a vision that was bigger than that. As their work progressed, the potential for a much greater project emerged. What we ended up with is no longer what we had first imagined, but a fully fledged Amnesia game. A different kind of Amnesia, but definitely not a short experiment.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 02:39:47 AM »

well, this is finally out next week.  think I'm going to bite on the pre-order.  videos of the first 30 minutes of gameplay are starting to circulate, here's one of the bunch with no commentary.

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 03:07:08 AM »

I'm looking forward to it but haven't got in my preorder yet. I probably will though since it's 20% off on Steam.  I'm hoping for at-least a couple early reviews just to tell me that they didn't completely screw up the formula somehow.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 04:17:44 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 03, 2013, 03:07:08 AM

I'm hoping for at-least a couple early reviews just to tell me that they didn't completely screw up the formula somehow.

Fired up the original game tonight and have made it farther than I have before without getting bored, and just went through the chase with the water demon in the basement.  Of course every single door I had to open conveniently swung outward towards me instead of inward icon_lol

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 05:18:07 AM »

Wait, youíre interested in the sequel despite having never finished the original?

Amnesia was a surprise for me.  I generally donít care for horror games but I was completely enthralled by the world and story from beginning to end.  I remember picking up the original on a whim during one of the Christmas Steam sales and I installed it three days before Christmas.  I ended up finishing the game on Christmas Eve as the sounds of tortured victims played through my headÖ  How is that for holiday cheer?  icon_biggrin
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 05:33:22 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 03, 2013, 05:18:07 AM

Wait, youíre interested in the sequel despite having never finished the original?

Amnesia was a surprise for me.  I generally donít care for horror games but I was completely enthralled by the world and story from beginning to end.  I remember picking up the original on a whim during one of the Christmas Steam sales and I installed it three days before Christmas.  I ended up finishing the game on Christmas Eve as the sounds of tortured victims played through my headÖ  How is that for holiday cheer?  icon_biggrin

Sounds like the typical family get-together to me.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 06:08:40 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 03, 2013, 05:18:07 AM

I'm hoping to finish the original this weekend, but this one is supposed to be stand alone from the original, so no previous experience required.  It's the setting that got me interested in Machine, with it taking place in 1899, 60 years after the original.

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »

I've never finished Amnesia because for some reason it's the only first-person game that makes me motion sick. I've played dozens upon dozens of shooters over the years, and never got queasy until this one.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 07:42:18 PM »

Unfortunately, the early impression/reviews on this one arenít great.  It sounds like a bit too much was simplified from the original and as such a lot of what made that one special is lost.  Probably still worth a look if you love horror games but I think I might sit this one out.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 03:02:30 AM »

I'm still in. And after playing Outlast, which I'm still only able to play 30-60 minutes at a time, I'm ready for something a bit more tame.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 05:29:47 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on September 10, 2013, 03:02:30 AM

I'm still in. And after playing Outlast, which I'm still only able to play 30-60 minutes at a time, I'm ready for something a bit more tame.

I think Outcast killed my playthrough of Dark Descent; the game was borderline dull, and then Outcast came in, held it down, made it its bitch, and told Pigs to 'Bring it'.  I'll get Pigs eventually, maybe, but the reviews didn't help me want to pick the series up off the floor after Outlast left.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 06:28:46 PM »

Just played through the first section of the game (probably all of 20 minutes) and yeah it seems a lot more tame than Outlast. I did end up jumping once at one point where they set me up for that scare without me realizing it so when it hit, and it hit hard, it freaked me out a bit. But up until that point the terror level was pretty low.

The graphics just seem ok. There's an odd haze they put on the screen that really dulls the images, probably on purpose, but it wasn't initially working for me.

I'll probably go back to Outlast and finish that up before heading back to Amnesia.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 06:35:33 PM »

Iím not defending Pigs since I havenít played it but the original Amnesia was never about jump scares, in fact there were very few in the game.  Instead it was about a feeling of building dread and unease at your surroundings.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 02:01:06 AM »

I went ahead and finished this one. It was a disappointment. Not too long in to the game it lost any sense of exploration and became basically just following a single path. It might branch off in a few places but mainly you stuck to just moving forward along the only path given. Any puzzles that cropped up were typically solved by doing something within the same room or grabbing something from a room or two away. So with about an hour left in the game I was pretty much done with it but determined to finish. It didn't get any better and I basically just held down the left shift to run to the next area I had to get to advance the game.

So while the game was very heavy on atmosphere I did not feel connected to the story in any way and even the machine stuff grew tiresome quickly.

Its not a terrible game but its not very good either. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: