http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:16:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon's taking game trade-ins?  (Read 1676 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2009, 05:02:15 PM »

I never noticed this before.  has anyone had any experience with this?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:07:56 PM »

News to me. That's pretty cool. I think.

I wonder how their prices compare to Gamestop or Gamecrazy.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »

Wow.  I had no idea.  Unfortunately you can't trade games in for cash.  However, since we do 99% of our holiday shopping on Amazon.com and have all items shipped to Pittsburgh to avoid having to travel with holiday gifts, perhaps as the rest of my games for sale don't seem to be moving I could trade them in on Amazon.com and use the gift card for future inevitably purchases.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 08:09:29 PM »

I'm about to trade 3 games in now!  I'd rather buy my stuff from Amazon, so the credit works just fine.  Even the shipping label is free!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 08:15:12 PM »

According to various news sites, it just launched today. I was looking over their prices and it's pretty bad. You'd probably get more selling the games on their marketplace. But now with amazon and TRU doing trade in test runs, Gamestop could be in serious trouble.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 08:26:55 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 05, 2009, 08:15:12 PM

According to various news sites, it just launched today. I was looking over their prices and it's pretty bad. You'd probably get more selling the games on their marketplace. But now with amazon and TRU doing trade in test runs, Gamestop could be in serious trouble.

Good. Let Gamestop feel the heat.

Prices seem relatively comparable to Gamestop, before they do their stacking promos.

<edit> AH, I see games ship for free.....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:29:22 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 08:34:31 PM »

yeah, you also get 10% credit until the 19th I believe. so some of the prices aren't too bad.

Looks like it's credit towards games and accessories.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:00:42 PM »

That's pretty cool.  Another alternative to GameStop is a good thing and I don't even have to leave the house.   thumbsup

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 12:18:22 PM »

That's interesting. I don't see this having a huge impact on Gamestop for a variety of reasons:
1) Games can't be damaged
2) Must have original packaging
3) No instant gratification + possible losses in mail
4) No GC or GBA

and the biggie:

5) No systems

Honestly, I think that the trade business is probably not as easy as some folks seem to think.
Take this as an example: You send some games off to Amazon that they refuse for condition.
They already paid shipping one way, now they have to pay to ship it back? (or maybe they charge you).
If they are eating the shipping, that cuts into their margins on other exchanges.
Their overhead is low, though, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 02:22:26 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 06, 2009, 12:18:22 PM

That's interesting. I don't see this having a huge impact on Gamestop for a variety of reasons:

I agree. Prices seem comparable to Gamestop, but having to ship and then wait for an Amazon.com gift card being deposited in your account means if there's a hiccup in the transaction you're having to deal with the post office and the Amazon complaint department. Plus there's the time factor. Often I don't decide to trade in a game till I'm getting a new one or Gamestop has some promotion.

Additionally, Amazon's definition of "good condition" means the original manual has to be included. Since I've never traded in a game at Gamestop without the manual I'm not sure, but I think they don't card if it has the manual or not. And it's can't be "damaged" for Amazon's acceptance.

I think after the initial excitement over this announcement Gamestop will still be the preferred trade-in option.

One interesting thing. I was looking at their list of game trade-in values and I notice that Baja: Edge of Control for the 360 will net you $12, but the PS3 version will only credit you with $8.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 03:00:05 PM »

$15 for 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. I just traded that into Gamestop for $26 with my Edge card.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »

Quote from: Simon on March 06, 2009, 03:00:05 PM

$15 for 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. I just traded that into Gamestop for $26 with my Edge card.

Don't they have some trade-in deal going on, though?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 04:14:15 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 06, 2009, 03:23:16 PM

Don't they have some trade-in deal going on, though?

Yeah, but even if he got +50% the base value still would have been higher.
I'm sure you could find examples where each was better than the other.
I'm also sure that they are keeping an eye on what the other is doing.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 04:26:06 PM »

it's weird, if you look it's $15 for the 360 version but $23 for the PS3 version.  of course their price for a new copy of the 360 version is cheaper than the PS3 version ($49.99 vs $56.99).  maybe the system automatically takes into account the cheaper price, even if it's a sale.

on a side note, I noticed a bunch of used PS3 titles were cheaper than their 360 counterparts at Gamestop and Buybacks, which seemed odd.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »

My son and I have been using a similar service to trade-in Star Wars miniatures at 2 US online retailers. I've been surprised at the speed of service and the fair prices from both. The 3 times I've used either retailer I've been credited within 4 business days. That despite 1 of them being located in Florida; amazing considering I'm in Canada and live in an opposite corner of the continent.

I just checked the amazon trade-in prices for 3 DS games I have and it's much higher than what I'd get locally even before I cost in the exchange rate; which just sweetens the pot. I could see myself using this a lot to trade for strategy guides because the prices on both amazon US and Canada are far better than what I'd pay locally. The free UPS shipping makes me suspect that the amazon.com is only available to US customers, but I just emailed amazon.ca to see if an equivalent service will be available to Canadians; crossing my fingers. slywink
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 06:35:41 PM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 05:20:24 PM »

so Amazon UK is behind on the times?

Because I can,
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 06:47:24 PM »

I've been using them for months. Sometimes better trade-in value than the local Gamestop, easy to ship-in and I get a balance in my account I can use for anything from Amazon.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 06:50:09 PM »

Amazon was invaluable in helping to slim down my DVD and game collections in preparation for my recent move.  It's way easier to just toss everything in a box and then be able to spend the credit on anything at Amazon than to mess with Gamestop.  Amazon also takes stuff Gamestop won't, like original Xbox games and DVDs.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »

I've been using Amazon since RDR.  I have used the credit to pick up LEGO and Beatles Rock Band for basically shipping charges, leveraged MoH trade and pre-order bonuses into a cheap CoD purchase.  Basically, it's one step up from renting for me. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 05:27:25 AM »

I just sent in around 10 games to Amazon today and should have $165 credit coming to me soon. The trade-in prices for most games were at least a couple of dollars higher than at Gamestop, and some were double. For example, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story gets $9 at Gamestop but I got $21.50 at Amazon.  Plus, credit at Amazon is as good as cash for me.

edit: In fact, I just checked and every game I traded in got more credit at Amazon than it would've have at Gamestop (without any promotions, of course). Assassin's Creed 2 even got almost 3 times as much money at Amazon ($11 vs. $3)! Sorry Gamestop, I think I'm done giving you my used games.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 05:31:53 AM by Ralph-Wiggum » Logged
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 03:03:11 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on December 18, 2010, 05:27:25 AM

I just sent in around 10 games to Amazon today and should have $165 credit coming to me soon. The trade-in prices for most games were at least a couple of dollars higher than at Gamestop, and some were double. For example, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story gets $9 at Gamestop but I got $21.50 at Amazon.  Plus, credit at Amazon is as good as cash for me.

edit: In fact, I just checked and every game I traded in got more credit at Amazon than it would've have at Gamestop (without any promotions, of course). Assassin's Creed 2 even got almost 3 times as much money at Amazon ($11 vs. $3)! Sorry Gamestop, I think I'm done giving you my used games.

Also note that Amazon gift cards you receive are good for anything in the whole video game store - not just games. I bought a racing wheel and also part of my X11's with Amazon trade in money.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on December 18, 2010, 03:03:11 PM

Also note that Amazon gift cards you receive are good for anything in the whole video game store - not just games. I bought a racing wheel and also part of my X11's with Amazon trade in money.

It was my impression that the gift card is good for anything on Amazon at all, not just video games and accessories.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 04:57:58 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on December 18, 2010, 03:13:54 PM

Quote from: Nonnahob on December 18, 2010, 03:03:11 PM

It was my impression that the gift card is good for anything on Amazon at all, not just video games and accessories.

Yeah, it's just credit at amazon, not only the amazon game store.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 01:26:09 PM »

Been using this for months and yes it's a great deal.  I thought this was old news.   

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 05:06:02 PM »

Amazon's game trade-in combined with their really generous pre-order deals (often $10-$20 gift cards with a pre-order) means that I've been getting a lot of new release titles on release day ($.99 release day shipping - woo!) and trading them back in after I finish them for a net cost of around $10-$15 each.   thumbsup  Between a $20 gift card from a previous pre-order and about $35 in trade-in value, I played through all of Red Dead Redemption (40-50 hours) and only ended up paying $5 for it.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 03:01:20 PM »

Got my gift card today. So what should I buy with my "free" $167???  icon_biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on December 24, 2010, 03:01:20 PM

Got my gift card today. So what should I buy with my "free" $167???  icon_biggrin

there's that how to guide everyone's been talking about  icon_twisted Tongue

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: