http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:21:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am i the only one playing WWE vs Smackdown {360}?  (Read 2385 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2006, 06:22:05 PM »

Picked this up yesterday as a change from shooters and NBA2K7.  I was a huuuuge wrestling fan 6 or 7 years ago, but haven't watch the first show since then.  I saw that it was getting some decent reviews so i took the plunge and picked it up.

First thing i did was played a couple exhibition matches to get a decent hang of the controls and it turns out to be fairly intuitive.  No button mashing like most wrestling and fighters are.  Left stick moves your wrestler and right stick starts grappling moves.  Throughout the match you'll get some cues as to buttons to push to perform certain moves and finishers.  All in all generally easy to pick up and play, but it looks like a good bit of practice to get really good in managing a match.

Graphics are pretty good.  Some of the wrestlers look a bit odd to me, but all in all they really look very similar to their real life characters.  There are tons of characters to chose from right out the box and numerous legends to unlock later in the game.  All the PPV events and match types are here.  Hell in the cell, Latter, Buried Alive, First Blood, etc.  I played a cage and buried alive match and they both were great fun.  There is also a game mode to put together a PPV.  From what i can see you chose the matches and i think the story lines play out from there.  Makes it sorta like a Sim i guess.  You can also go into the audience and around the ring to use objects on your opponent.  Haven't tried it yet but someone has used it on me.

The really fun part thus far is creating a character.  The depth in the creating is incredible.  You can literally make any type of character you can imagine.  I spent a couple hours last night just playing around with this.  Masks, outfits, clothing, makeup, etc. etc. etc.  After creating your character you then can make your entrance.  You get access to all the characters entrances (except those that are locked), music, fireworks, videos, ring entrance, etc. to make for your own character.  Being able to mix and match different wrestlers entrances to your own character is just cool.  What looks great is making a macho character and have him strut during his entrance like one of the Diva's and play their music.  Sorta like a Golddust or Adrian Adonis. 

So after i made my character, i took him into a season (or story mode).  I initially got put up against the Big Show and proceeded to get stomped.  However, some help came out from backstage and set up the story for the season.  From there i was booked into matches on RAW each evening.  The story is managed in what is called the Locker Room which tells the story through email messages and magazine articles.  Winning matches gets you $$ to unlock other characters and xp points to develop your character.  Without spoiling anything, it looks as though the story will build up through PPV's.  The cutscenes after matches that keeps the story flowing is really good.  It feels like you are really watching RAW or Smackdown.  The commentary from Lawler and JR has been decent thus far and manages to follow the story lines.

I do however have a couple complaints.  #1 is the lack of a tutorial to help learn the basics.  The only way to learn is by reading the manual and practicing in exhibition matches.  There are a couple videos you can watch for tutorial help, but it didn't help me too much.  #2 is when you are getting hammered and you are lying on the mat, you can't get up while you are getting stomped.  A message flashes to "press any button repeatedly", but i haven't found that to work.  It's very frustrating to get put on the mat and not get back up while you continue to take punishment.  #3 using a created character is very tough and really slow to get going.  trying to compete with WWE superstars while only having minimal skills is tough and unfair.

I haven't ventured online yet because i fear the average player who owns this is some 16 year old punk who'll piss me off more than anything.  So i'm hoping to stir up some attentionhere in hopes others give it a shot.  I foresee the replayability of this being loooooong.  If you're a wrestling fan, you can't pass this up.

Anyone eles secretly playing this on the 360?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 07:08:09 PM »

I want to give it a shot, but the demo didn't overly impress me and I have SO MUCH OTHER CRAP to play, that I've put this one on the backburner.  I'll pick it up someday, maybe.

gellar
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 07:14:22 PM »

Ya the demo did nothing for me either.  But getting to make my own character and play with someone other than Kane and HHH (which i hate both) and specialty matches is what makes it great for me.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 07:18:15 PM »

I am hoping to get this for christmas.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 03:43:06 AM »

Same, it's on my Christmas list.... though I doubt I'll get it.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 04:42:11 AM »

I've got it and it's a fantastic game. Only little problem I have is that some of the custom entrance animations don't show your title belt when you're walking down. It says that you're the champion, but your belt isn't displayed. Kind of a bummer, but it's not a big deal.

I'd definitely be up for some online matches smile.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 01:39:47 PM »

haven't gotten my character up to a title match (although with one more win i'm told i can compete in a title contest) so i don't know about the animation missing. 

my biggest issue right now is my character staying on the mat waaaaaaaaay too long and not being able to get up even though i'm mashing buttons like crazy.  i'm hoping this is more because my character is weak and in the early stages of development.  i fought the Big Show in a cage match and he hit me one time and i could not get up to stop him from leaving the cage........extremely frustrating.  even at full strength if i get knocked down, i stay down and can't get up until i've gotten beaten like a fool.  i'll try wrestling with a WWE star and see if this still applies.

all in all, a very cool game.  the controls are very good and easy to get the basics down.  playing through season mode with my created character is just like watching a WWE show.  very cool story lines with some twists.  the cut scenes are great and the graphics are very cool.  as of now, this game is staying with me for a loooong time.  alot of character, PPV events, and arenas to unlock.   if we can get some mp going with some folks here, it'll be some great fun.

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 02:03:27 PM »

I've had it for awhile.  It can be very frustrating early on as your created guy will start out with a rating in the 30s and it's very hard to even be competitive in a match.  Put most of your points in stamina and durability to begin with and you will start to last a little longer in your matches.  That did the trick for me and I was able to start winning some matches. 

I took my created guy all the way through career mode and got his rating up to a 99.  Then I decided to go online.  Big mistake.  As usual the guys online are just insanely good and most matches I never even get a punch in.  When I do get the chance to hit them, they counter it EVERY time.  Not a lot of fun to basically just sit back and watch your guy get pummeled for 5 minutes until they decide to pin you.

The game is fun offline, but online it's a joke unless you can find someone you know to play with.  Like any other sports game, the online kiddies value their record more than a fun match. 

Should anyone decide they'd like to play online, just send me an invite.  Most of the time I play on the Cowboys59 account.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 02:31:38 PM »

Yeah, staying down that long is mainly a symptom of having really low ratings. However, another tip for getting up quicker is that you can counter every move they do to you while you're on the ground (outside of the basic kick). When you do counter it, you'll get right back up. Learning how to effectively counter when you've been knocked down is probably the single most important skill in the game IMO.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 04:05:51 PM »

thanks godhunt, i'll try countering.

and ya i suspected the online would be as mentioned.  that is why i thought we could get something going here to make it fun and less of trying to pad a record.  gimme some more time to learn and get my toon up a bit and i'll be ready to go online with you guys.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 05:16:22 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on December 24, 2006, 04:05:51 PM

thanks godhunt, i'll try countering.

and ya i suspected the online would be as mentioned.  that is why i thought we could get something going here to make it fun and less of trying to pad a record.  gimme some more time to learn and get my toon up a bit and i'll be ready to go online with you guys.

Who is this godhunt you speak of?
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 05:58:48 PM »

ok spelling police, you caught me  icon_biggrin

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 02:29:03 PM »

yo Arkon, i see you got it.  what you think?

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2006, 02:51:54 PM »

Damn Xmann, you are quick lol.

Well so far... I suck, but finally won my first match in season mode.  Was a texas tornado match, me and the Big Show, against Carlito and Chavo.  I am still trying to learn the controls, and I am not a big fan of the amount of loading screens, but so far it is a damn good wrestling game.  Heading to my dads now, will be playing some more later today.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2006, 04:28:15 PM »

Ya the loading screens suck.  Did you go with a good created character or bad?  Just wondering about that Texas Tornado match.  I had the opposite with my story and my character is bad.  The cut scenes and stories are cool and just like watching a Raw show.  For the most part i suck too, especially since my character is so early in development. 

I'm not sure but i think that if you use any of the WWE stars through a season they each have their own story they play through.  Gotta think they can't all be different stories, but i'm gonna try out a couple and see how they go after i'm done with mine.

Anyone else get this for Christmas?  I also wonder if you can have a Royal Rumble match online with some AI opponents with 2 live people.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2006, 05:42:44 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on December 25, 2006, 04:28:15 PM

Anyone else get this for Christmas?  I also wonder if you can have a Royal Rumble match online with some AI opponents with 2 live people.

Yep smile.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2006, 06:32:28 PM »

is that a yep to the Royal Rumble question?  If so.......very cool  eek

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2006, 06:54:57 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on December 25, 2006, 04:28:15 PM

Ya the loading screens suck.  Did you go with a good created character or bad?  Just wondering about that Texas Tornado match.  I had the opposite with my story and my character is bad.  The cut scenes and stories are cool and just like watching a Raw show.  For the most part i suck too, especially since my character is so early in development. 

I'm not sure but i think that if you use any of the WWE stars through a season they each have their own story they play through.  Gotta think they can't all be different stories, but i'm gonna try out a couple and see how they go after i'm done with mine.

I created my character as a good character... I was approached to go against Big Show with Carlito, Chavo and Daivari.  They were setting me up, they attacked show with lead pipes.  I choose to side with Big Show instead.  Texas Tornado match was fun since we both got to be in the ring together.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2006, 09:08:32 PM »

Ok a few other observations so far...

Good lord, could the hair on the women look any worse than it does in this game?

Mixed tag team matches:  They seem horribly broken to me, I was often fighting both Angle and Lita at the same time, when I would tag in trish, Angle and Lita would both double team her.  Ref did nothing to restore order.  Tag team amtches in general... sometimes way too tough to get a pin as no matter what the AI partner will interfere, yet my partner never comes in for the save.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2006, 10:07:35 PM »

yes the hair is really bad.

what i do on tag team matches is make sure the opponents partner is outside the ring and nowhere able to interfere before i attempt a pin.  with that Angle/Lita match, i attempted to pin Lita numerous times and Angle broke it up.  i finally softened up Angle and got Lita back in and when he was outside the ring gaining stamina, i pinned her.  definitely have to get the opponents partner well away from the action before attempting a pin.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2006, 10:44:08 PM »

Don't forget, in tag team matches, you can hold up on the d-pad and press RB and it will call in your tag-team partner. If you're going to go for a pin, call your partner in and then go for it. Makes it much easier smile.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2006, 03:01:57 PM »

Still enjoying the game, but on the same hand it is royally pissing me off. 

So I get in a 6 man over the top rope.  It goes for 20 minutes, I am last in the ring with shawn michaels.  His entire body is "red", yet he can jump up off the canvas, where as with my maxed out stamina once I hit yellow, goodnight, it takes me 30-40 seconds to get up.  So no where does it tell me how to throw an oppenent over the ropes... the manual just says "r", does that mean click, does it mean a direction?  I strong grapple, drag the guy towards the ropes, instead of throwing him over I put him on the ropes... I irish whip right next to the ropes, he doesn't go over, he bounces back, yet any time I am whipped next to the ropes I go right over.  I strong grapple, then pick him up... walk to ropes... won't throw him over.  I end up loosing the match because I can't fucking figure out how to toss him over.  I am also dissapointed in storylines.... so I get invited to join Benjamin, Helms and Michaels, then get set up, then side with Michaels.... one match then the "partnership" is over.  RVD, I tag with him for one week, we win... then all of a sudden we are broken up and I am fighting RVD... good lord they need better writers...establish fueds, establish stables etc... I am usualy fighting a new person every freaking week.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2006, 05:32:40 PM »

I'm actually enjoying the story lines.  I like that each mini story only last a couple matches or so......that way you can be involved with more superstars and stories. 

I also really like the create a move.  This will give alot of life to the game for me.  I like going back every couple matches and changing my finisher and different grapples.  Still alot of fun.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2006, 09:29:24 PM »

To toss somebody out in an over-the-top match, do a strong irish whip (hold RB instead of just pressing it) toward the ropes and they'll go over.

EDIT: Seriously yall, if you have any questions on controls and stuff feel free to ask here or send me a message on XBox Live. All my matches are on the highest difficulty level now, so I've got pretty much all the controls figured out. Only one that still gives me trouble are Money In The Bank/Ladder matches.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2006, 11:06:59 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on December 26, 2006, 09:29:24 PM

To toss somebody out in an over-the-top match, do a strong irish whip (hold RB instead of just pressing it) toward the ropes and they'll go over.

EDIT: Seriously yall, if you have any questions on controls and stuff feel free to ask here or send me a message on XBox Live. All my matches are on the highest difficulty level now, so I've got pretty much all the controls figured out. Only one that still gives me trouble are Money In The Bank/Ladder matches.

To do an irish whip, I hold RB and hit A, is this not correct?  didn't know of any other way to be honest... will have to try it again.

I am playing on easy and getting my ass handed to me in most fights still.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2006, 01:20:56 PM »

Are you using the create a move Arkon?  I've been pretty successful by creating a couple moves i can feel confident to pull of and ride those through a match.  I then go back to create a move and mix another one or two in there.  I'm pretty confident even though my character is only at 56 i think.  What i find that helps too is to use a submission as often as you can to soften up your opponent.  As soon as i get access to it in a match, i slap it on and wear my opponent down.  Again i experiment with different finishers and submissions in create a move.  The camel clutch has worked real good by wearing down the midsection and legs.  Slap that baby on 2 or 3 times and it gets your opponent in the red in a hurry.  Try that if you haven't.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2006, 09:17:08 PM »

This game sounds like they finally are beginning to get it right. AKI/Asmik did it just about perfectly with No Mercy, and no one's been able to match them since. How does this one compare?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2006, 09:23:30 PM »

Quote from: Raven VII on December 27, 2006, 09:17:08 PM

AKI/Asmik did it just about perfectly with No Mercy, and no one's been able to match them since. How does this one compare?

The funny part is that this game is what, two console 'generations' ago (N64), and is still heralded as the best wrestling title ever made.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2006, 04:09:40 PM »

Quote from: Raven VII on December 27, 2006, 09:17:08 PM

This game sounds like they finally are beginning to get it right. AKI/Asmik did it just about perfectly with No Mercy, and no one's been able to match them since. How does this one compare?

It's not quite there yet, but it comes a hell of a lot closer then any other US wrestling game.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 01:38:15 AM »

Well i'm officially pissed at this game.  I get to the Latter Match against Edge and i have beaten him to a bloody stump.  I have taken zero damage and his entire body is red.  He can't even move and barely gets up.  So i finally decide to grab the latter and set it up.  I set it up and then work on Edge some more.  I then feel confident and decide to try and climb.  I grab the suitcase and just when i almost have it, Edge knocks me off ....climbs up and i can't freakin get up quick enough to stop him.  So after beating him for 20 minutes (that was the actual match time) he hits me once and wins.  Such a crock of crap!

I haven't been that pissed at a game in a while.  Makes me not want to play any further.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2007, 02:00:16 PM »

Best bet in the ladder matches is to dump the other guy outside. With my CAW I have an Ultimate Control move where I can power bomb them from the ring down to the apron. If I do this after they've been beat up already, they'll stay down for a good 30-40 seconds.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »

Got the game last night, created my wrestler and started the career. I'm a sucky wrestler. I can punch and kick... perhaps I should read the manual. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2007, 12:56:40 AM »

I finally tried the demo last night.

I have redefined "suck". 

Does the full game come with difficulty levels?  You know, like Hard / Medium / Easy / Treestump.

I will be playing treestump level if it's there.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: