http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 06:22:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alpha Protocol, now with impressions!  (Read 9672 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2009, 11:28:41 PM »

Jack Bauer, James Bond and Jason Bourne in a blender?  drool  this game looks to have serious cool factor, and considering Obsidian had a near home run* with NWN2 (they get the * for Mask of the Betrayer) hopefully it will be worth the wait and nicely polished (especially since it's been delayed from spring to fall  icon_evil).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:23:20 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 11:50:39 PM »

Might be good. But Obsidian doesn't have the best record for me. NWN2 was not as good as the first one to me. And they really dropped the ball on KOTOR II. It was only half as good as part one.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 11:53:50 PM »

I am just glad it didn't get axed.

I always considered the James Bond RPG:s one of the best and wondered why no attempt
was made at a CRPG.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 11:58:55 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 14, 2009, 11:50:39 PM

NWN2 was not as good as the first one to me.

I couldn't get into the first NWN but the second sucked me in big time.  I still have NWN sitting around here somewhere, and I suppose I should give it another try, but this will be my 4th or 5th try if I do though.

Because I can,
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 12:42:04 AM »

Might be good. But Obsidian doesn't have the best record for me. NWN2 was not as good as the first one to me. And they really dropped the ball on KOTOR II. It was only half as good as part one.

In their defense, it was Lucasarts who dropped the ball on KOTOR2. If Obsidian's ultimate plan for KOTOR2 was fully realized, it would have certainly been the better game of the two.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:44:32 AM »

Quote from: madpeon on March 15, 2009, 12:42:04 AM

In their defense, it was Lucasarts who dropped the ball on KOTOR2. If Obsidian's ultimate plan for KOTOR2 was fully realized, it would have certainly been the better game of the two.

yeah, they got rushed out the door but were nice enough to put all the unfinished stuff on the disc so a group could finish the game in 5 years or so.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 10:35:20 PM »

new video, or so they say.  I can't get the site to load properly at work.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 03:48:13 AM »

I mentioned the delay earlier, now it's official   icon_cry

Because I can,
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 04:19:19 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 16, 2009, 10:35:20 PM

new video, or so they say.  I can't get the site to load properly at work.
Here is an HD version of the trailer.  Also there's about 12 minutes of Alpha Protocol interviews and footage in this week's GameTrailer's TV.  Unfortunately it's interspersed with a variety of other stuff.  They'll talk about Alpha Protocol for about 2 minutes then switch to another subject, then switch back to Alpha Protocol.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 04:33:05 PM »

Dev Diary with a few of the guys making it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 11:57:09 PM »

gameplay video from work in progress build.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 11:01:51 PM »

New video

Hey is that Claudia Black voicing the commando gal with the pink sunglasses?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 04:34:23 AM »

you always got options  icon_twisted

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 08:37:52 PM »

this game just keeps sounding cooler and cooler.

Upon reaching the actual missiles, Thorton is faced with two choices: complete his objective by destroying them, or claim to destroy them while, in reality, he diverts the shipment to an arms dealer he knows. If he does the latter, he might lose some reputation with his handlers, but also gain the chance to buy some new equipment.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 11:41:25 PM »

and the release date now is: sometime in October.  good thing, cause no one buys games any other time of the year.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 12:46:34 AM »

on safehouses.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 02:33:10 PM »

and just in case anyone is worried, the sex scenes will be 'satisfying' yet tasteful  icon_lol

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 04:01:38 PM »

Still looking forward to this one also. Looks like a handful of new games to anticipate.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 01:23:09 AM »

I'm under NDA so I can't say anything specific that hasn't already been covered by official previews.

But, you need to get this game if you like RPGs.  Even though the combat is action based, it really is a pure RPG in terms of classic RPG decision making and in many ways it goes beyond.  So many actions have repercussions across the game, and it's not just black or white.  Instead of just a dialog line or two that changes, or maybe a scripted even going differently you're rewarded and punished in many different ways for decisions you make, some immediate, some later, some small, some large, etc...

It's way better than Mass Effect in this regard, it really is a step forward in merging RPG choices with gameplay.  This game will not disappoint.

Actually, let me talk to some people and see what I can say, maybe I can turn this into a preview article for the game for GT.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:25:10 AM by Turtle » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 01:24:50 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 29, 2009, 01:23:09 AM

I'm under NDA so I can't say anything specific that hasn't already been covered by official previews.

lucky son of a gorn, you want us to hate you, don't you?  Tongue  sounds like they've pick up a trick or two from the Witcher  thumbsup

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 01:50:58 AM »

They go far beyond the witcher.  There's always little instant rewards or punishments on top of more long term.  Let me look through some more previews so I can see what I can talk about.  Once again, still can't be more specific about anything.

Oh and the dialog rules.  Previews don't do it justice, you really have to make decisions on the spot and the dialog really does branch into very distinct offshoots rather than looping back into a pattern of repeat into, but you aren't going in blind in conversations if you do your research, of which, true to the spy genre, you'll be able to do that research.  The designers really know how to handle this kind of stuff, because of the decisions they make, each dialog actually feels like a flowing movie conversation.  The developers aren't BSing when they said the dialog system was really new.

And people have a lot of different ways of keeping in touch with you, or meeting you in missions so you get the see the effects of the reputation system (on an individual basis) quite regularly, and you'll be surprised at how deep it is, and how interesting things can be when your relations get really high or low.  Tying into the dialog system, you'll tell when you're not liked, or your character doesn't like someone.

The game just takes it a step up.  I already see myself playing this game quite a few times to see how differently things go.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:19:32 AM by Turtle » Logged
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 02:08:27 AM »

I'm jealous Turtle.  It was pretty high on my list before, and moving up after your post.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 04:56:17 PM »

a hands on with the first few hours.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 07:24:49 AM »

hmm.. Gamestop changed their release date recently.  hopefully it's just a glitch.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2009, 08:29:10 AM »

Eh, not surprised if it's delayed, it's a big game and all big games need a lot of polishing.  Also, it's in october, which is jam packed with other titles that are getting way more press than AP.  However, I think that's just a temporary date, whenever gamestop sets something to the first of a month, it means they don't know when it will be out.  If there is a delay, it probably won't be for that long, perhaps early 2010, not middle.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 03:45:26 PM »

6/1/2010? Yikes! Heck of a glitch. The 360 date has been changed as well <sigh>.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 04:40:41 PM »

The IGN preview didn't seem very promising to mee. It seems they just gathered tons of gaming clichés and mixed up into some kind of action rpg. Didn't any of these guys play the James Bond RPG? Or the equally superb Top Secret.

Seems Obsidian just played a bunch of console games and added "cool" stats frown.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 05:26:56 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 26, 2009, 08:29:10 AM

Eh, not surprised if it's delayed, it's a big game and all big games need a lot of polishing.  Also, it's in october, which is jam packed with other titles that are getting way more press than AP.  However, I think that's just a temporary date, whenever gamestop sets something to the first of a month, it means they don't know when it will be out.  If there is a delay, it probably won't be for that long, perhaps early 2010, not middle.

early 2010 is getting pretty full too.  I think this one is going to be changed from 'giving my money to the game' to 'renting from Gamefly because, personally, the delays annoy me' if it is indeed delayed.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 08:53:52 PM »

Apparently the delay is now official.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 09:05:26 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on September 26, 2009, 04:40:41 PM

The IGN preview didn't seem very promising to mee. It seems they just gathered tons of gaming clichés and mixed up into some kind of action rpg. Didn't any of these guys play the James Bond RPG? Or the equally superb Top Secret.

Seems Obsidian just played a bunch of console games and added "cool" stats frown.

I have to keep reiterating this, the core concept may seem a bit cliche, but then again, wasn't Baldur's Gate?  Wasn't Icewind Dale?  Wasn't Knights of the Old Republic?  Even Fallout was a mass of cliches from wasteland and post apoc fiction.  All cliches in some form, it was the execution that made them great.  Alpha Protocol has that execution in the RPG aspects.  It is, very much an RPG, probably more so than a lot of pure RPGs.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 09:48:20 PM »

And No One Lives Forever and it's sequel were certainly cliches, but great games anyway. I'm hoping that Alpha Protocol would dip into that same tongue in check genre.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 10:06:52 PM »

You know, I think AP would have done a lot better in the media had they gone with that more unique style.  Just the crazy different art style would get more people interested, which translates into a bit more word of mouth.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 10:12:09 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 06, 2009, 09:05:26 PM

Quote from: marcusjm on September 26, 2009, 04:40:41 PM

I have to keep reiterating this, the core concept may seem a bit cliche, but then again, wasn't Baldur's Gate?  Wasn't Icewind Dale?  Wasn't Knights of the Old Republic?  Even Fallout was a mass of cliches from wasteland and post apoc fiction.  All cliches in some form, it was the execution that made them great.  Alpha Protocol has that execution in the RPG aspects.  It is, very much an RPG, probably more so than a lot of pure RPGs.

I agree but they used the right influences, ie solid CRPGs. I hope you are right about this one.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 10:39:17 PM »

The only thing I'm worried about with AP is the action gunplay, and that's literally the only thing.

It might end up more like ME1, where the RPG, story, and decisions are great, but the combat needs work.  They have had a lot of time to work on that, and now they have more time to work on it since the delay is official.

Oh and it's not just combat, you can sneak through, so like an RPG and unlike ME1 there's a lot more options on how to handle things.  You will get into combat though, but if you've got the skills it gets much easier to avoid or get the drop on enemies.

Kinda glad that more previews have been released so I can talk about a few more things.

And, once again, it's all the little decisions you can make, right from the start of the game that's going to be a shining point for action/rpgs.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 10:46:33 PM »

I am still hoping for someone to make Covert Action 2.0. Best modern RPG yet. Also my fave Sid Meier game after Civ series. What made it so good, was the infinite replayability. Sure the missions were a bit repetetive but with some work it could easily have been the closest anyone ever got to remaking a table top modern RPG.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 12:09:21 AM »

Spring 2010.  they finally updated the main site.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 04:21:19 AM »

the official spin on the delay:

Alpha Protocol Receives New Worldwide Deployment Date to Retailers

SEGA to launch Obsidian Entertainment’s next RPG opus in spring 2010

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (October 15, 2009) – SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. today announces that Alpha Protocol™, Obsidian Entertainment’s much anticipated RPG will be moving to a spring 2010 release date. Upon its launch Alpha Protocol will be available in North America for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and the PC.

“Alpha Protocol is a new take on the RPG genre and from day one the team has been working to make Alpha Protocol a truly unique game for players to experience.” says Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. “We’re very happy that SEGA has made the decision to hold back the shipment of the game in order to give it the best chance at becoming the publishing success that we at Obsidian and our partners at SEGA are striving for”.

“Since the inception of Alpha Protocol, SEGA has recognized the potential for the game to establish itself as an AAA title.” says Masanao Maeda, President and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. “We’ve worked in conjunction with Obsidian Entertainment in making the decision to move Alpha Protocol’s ship date to spring 2010 to ensure that we have the best game possible at launch.  Plus, we love the cock, and Spring is a better time to use the profits to invest in Venezuelan lady-boys.”

Alpha Protocol is an espionage role-playing-game set in the present day. Players assume the role of Michael Thorton, a rookie spy tasked with uncovering the perpetrators behind a tragic missile attack on a passenger jetliner which leads to the unraveling of an international arms-dealing conspiracy. Alpha Protocol gives players “the power of choice” through its unique Dialog Stance System (DSS) which enables players to choose their emotional stance in confrontations throughout the game by being aggressive, suave, or professional in dealing with in-game characters. Through these conversations and interactions you can make allies or enemies and literally change the course of the game. Customizable character skill-sets, attributes and weapons all play an important role in allowing gamers to tailor Michael Thorton to their liking and expand control of their in-game experience.

I suppose I'll stop being bitter about it eventually.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 04:26:34 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 16, 2009, 04:21:19 AM

the official spin on the delay:

SEGA to launch Obsidian Entertainment’s next RPG opus in spring 2010

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (October 15, 2009) – SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. today announces that Alpha Protocol™, Obsidian Entertainment’s much anticipated RPG will be moving to a spring 2010 release date. Upon its launch Alpha Protocol will be available in North America for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and the PC.

“Alpha Protocol is a new take on the RPG genre and from day one the team has been working to make Alpha Protocol a truly unique game for players to experience.” says Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. “We’re very happy that SEGA has made the decision to hold back the shipment of the game in order to give it the best chance at becoming the publishing success that we at Obsidian and our partners at SEGA are striving for”.

“Since the inception of Alpha Protocol, SEGA has recognized the potential for the game to establish itself as an AAA title.” says Masanao Maeda, President and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. “We’ve worked in conjunction with Obsidian Entertainment in making the decision to move Alpha Protocol’s ship date to spring 2010 to ensure that we have the best game possible at launch.  Plus, we love the cock, and Spring is a better time to use the profits to invest in Venezuelan lady-boys.

Alpha Protocol is an espionage role-playing-game set in the present day. Players assume the role of Michael Thorton, a rookie spy tasked with uncovering the perpetrators behind a tragic missile attack on a passenger jetliner which leads to the unraveling of an international arms-dealing conspiracy. Alpha Protocol gives players “the power of choice” through its unique Dialog Stance System (DSS) which enables players to choose their emotional stance in confrontations throughout the game by being aggressive, suave, or professional in dealing with in-game characters. Through these conversations and interactions you can make allies or enemies and literally change the course of the game. Customizable character skill-sets, attributes and weapons all play an important role in allowing gamers to tailor Michael Thorton to their liking and expand control of their in-game experience.

I suppose I'll stop being bitter about it eventually.

You might want to screen your source next time.   icon_lol

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 04:37:28 AM »

How else will he pad his post count? smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 05:40:48 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 16, 2009, 04:26:34 AM

You might want to screen your source next time.   icon_lol

I may have taken some liberties with the press release  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: