http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 04:06:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alien: Isolation announced - kinda looks good?  (Read 3993 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2014, 03:55:31 PM »

Any impressions on this from E3?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »

5 minutes of gameplay

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »

Thank you!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2014, 04:11:23 PM »

no problem.  It looks nice. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »

Original Cast in Nostromo Edition Pre-Order DLC

No Ian Holm (though Ash will be in it). 

There will be two missions.  The first lets you play as Ripley, Dallas or Parker shortly after Brett dies.  The second is just Ripley as she scurries to hit the self-destruct and make it to the escape pod.  Er, spoilers.

I am very excited about this.  They're calling it a pre-order thing, but they use the phrase "upgraded to the Nostromo Edition" which makes me think this will be in every first run version of the game.  I don't know that I'm going to take that chance, though.

Look at this:

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2014, 06:25:18 PM »

I think every game can use 100% more Skerritt.

Also, (and I never do this)  preordered!

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2014, 02:41:11 AM »

Really hope this is good, but also hope it goes on sale soon!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2014, 03:07:17 PM »

Reviews are currently looking pretty good, with some high and low.  IGN has a bad one and games radar just gushes about it.  I want to get this, but want to wait for the bargain bin too.  Seems like most reviews say it goes on too long and loses it's luster.

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps4/751154-alien-isolation/index.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 03:14:01 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »

Kotaku gives it a "Play this" recommendation. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »

Metacritc for PS4 currently at 79 with 2 low scores and the rest good.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/alien-isolation/critic-reviews
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2014, 05:07:17 PM »

I'm kind of glad this one has some mixed scores, I need an excuse not to buy it right now.  icon_biggrin

I definitely want to play it at some point just because I'm a huge Alien fan and it sounds like they really nailed the details from the movies.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2014, 07:51:59 PM »

One of the most frequent complaints Iíve seen is that the save points are really spread out.  Iím waiting to see if PC patches/moders can add in the option to save anywhere or at least put in some additional check points.  You can argue that checkpoints add to tense atmosphere of the game all you want but I donít have the time to deal with that silly nonsense.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »

Gamespot says it's too much walking and pushing levels with 90's level design/puzzles.  Doesn't sound too fun to me.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2014, 08:49:43 PM »

Whenever a game has mixed reviews I always consider it something you should play if you're especially into the subject matter. If you loved the Alien movies, if you're looking for a scary game, etc., you'll probably like Isolation.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2014, 08:54:32 PM »

I'm hoping for an Oculus Rift version later down the line. I'm perfectly willing to wait for that.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2014, 09:10:16 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on October 03, 2014, 07:51:59 PM

One of the most frequent complaints Iíve seen is that the save points are really spread out.  Iím waiting to see if PC patches/moders can add in the option to save anywhere or at least put in some additional check points.  You can argue that checkpoints add to tense atmosphere of the game all you want but I donít have the time to deal with that silly nonsense.

I'm not too excited about this either, especially if you narrowly escape death and then have to do it all over again because you couldn't save.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 03, 2014, 09:10:16 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on October 03, 2014, 07:51:59 PM

I'm not too excited about this either, especially if you narrowly escape death and then have to do it all over again because you couldn't save.

+1 exactly. It would suck all the fun out for me.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2014, 03:11:13 PM »

Metacritic score for this is a lot better than I expected.  Coupled with the ease of digital impulse purchases, I think it might be game over for me.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2014, 04:02:16 AM »

PS4 digital just went live even in PST
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2014, 04:22:08 AM »

Leo, you'll have to let us know if this is Dead Space/Resident Evil scary or more like Outlast/Amnesia pee your pants scary.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2014, 04:59:15 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 07, 2014, 04:22:08 AM

Leo, you'll have to let us know if this is Dead Space/Resident Evil scary or more like Outlast/Amnesia pee your pants scary.

After about an hour I think it's more like Outlast, I didn't play Amnesia.  Particularly since you have no weapons in the time I've played.  The ship feels like the sprawl (DS2) and the pervasive sense of dread is pretty damn creepy.  Plus I know the movie and the setup for the game, so I'm quaking in my boots.  It definitely feels like a game you play only in spurts before it gets too be too much.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2014, 05:36:38 AM »

Giant Bomb 4/5

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/alien-isolation-review/1900-676/
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2014, 07:59:42 AM »

You can get a gun, but they did a good job of making ammo realistically scarce. As in you find maybe 1 extra bullet over hours of play. You can use the gun to bypass lesser enemies, yes sometimes they shoot back, but it's refreshing to see it's not rapid fire guns everywhere, and you always have less bullets that needed to clear an area.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2014, 02:21:46 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 07, 2014, 07:59:42 AM

You can get a gun, but they did a good job of making ammo realistically scarce. As in you find maybe 1 extra bullet over hours of play. You can use the gun to bypass lesser enemies, yes sometimes they shoot back, but it's refreshing to see it's not rapid fire guns everywhere, and you always have less bullets that needed to clear an area.

Yes, I read as much in the previews.  The idea is to bide your time and head for an opening.  I played the beginning hour with headphones on and at night and they did a great job of creating a very freaky atmosphere.  I'm both looking forward to/dreading getting back to the ship to search around.  It sounds like the game is very long and I hope I don't burn out from stress before too long since I'm already creeped and it's just getting started.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »

A game that's best played in spurts but has a long campaign doesn't seem ideal  paranoid

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2014, 06:19:15 PM »

Some images of the vibe:

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »

Through a screwy confluence of issues, I got my copy today.  I'm working on a review and should have that up shortly.   The early buzz is super positive though - a refreshing thing.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2014, 08:47:41 PM »

Got to play for an hour or so today (maybe 2), and so far so good. 

One thing that impressed me more than I was expecting is the script.  The dialogue has been pretty good and the performances match.

They've got the feel of the original movie down pretty damned well, IMO.  One thing I've been wondering about the reviews is if we're seeing reviews from folks who grew up after Aliens was already out.  I feel like this might tamper someone's view of the franchise, in general, but the first movie, specifically.  If you see Aliens first (which is more likely, from what I've been hearing), the first movie seem a little slow.  People often miss the fact that the first movie is a straight horror film while the sequel is action.  Sure there are tense or startling moments in the second film, but the first is all about atmosphere and what's lurking in that atmosphere and slowly evolving terror.   So far, this game seems to capture all of that incredibly well.

Of course, it could turn out to be crap.

As an aside, recently, I've been playing Legendary Encounters, the Alien version of the Marvel Deck Building Game (huge thumbs up, by the way), and I've been shocked to find that people I play with just haven't seen the first movie.  That's what lead me to these thoughts.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2014, 03:56:21 AM »

Anyone notice the FPS during cutscenes is really bad?  Like 10 FPS bad.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2014, 05:31:22 AM »

It seems someone found a way to re-enable Oculus Rift support in the PC version:

1) in ENGINE_SETTINGS.XML (found in the DATA folder) change the stereo options to:

<Setting name="Stereo Mode">
<Quality name="Rift" precedence="4"/>
<Quality name="Off" precedence="4"/>
</Setting>

2) Set the Oculus to extended mode.

3) In the oculus configuration utility pause the service.

4) Start the game.

5) To play the game normally, reactivate the service by opening the display mode and set it to "direct to rift" and viola.

I don't know how well it works, but this is promising. This is a game I want to play with Oculus Rift, not on a regular screen.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2014, 11:35:19 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 08, 2014, 03:56:21 AM

Anyone notice the FPS during cutscenes is really bad?  Like 10 FPS bad.

I don't know that it was a FPS thing, there were just odd hiccups to it.  It wasn't what I'd call smooth.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2014, 01:40:45 PM »

Just bought it, after watching some more videos.

The Alien's behavior is way upgraded since early videos and the demo. Now it does interesting things, like it'll dart forward or around corners unexpectedly if it seems to sense something. You can still stay on the other side of a table from it, but it's no longer a sure thing, and it'll eventually find you. It's just so damn lifelike, so much better than all other games that basically make them fodder, still fast and deadly, but fodder no less. Would love to see a Colonial Marines game from Creative Assembly where all Aliens have this feel to them, where it takes more than a burst from a pulse rifle to kill it, the Aliens will back off stalk you constantly like an intelligent predator.

The flamethrower and revolver as an alien deterrent is pretty cool, and feels just right. It reacts really well to them, and it's intensely scary knowing its still out there, and now it's just pissed off.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2014, 04:02:33 PM »

I played through the Crew Expendable DLC last night.

Let me say right off that I loved it.  It captured exactly what I was looking for.  And it made me want to get back to the main game.

Now let me mention why others will not love it and how the problems within lead me to understand why reviews are so mixed.

First of all, while the characters appear in this DLC, they aren't doing a hell of a lot.  There's a very brief discussion at the meal table after which you choose if you're going to be Dallas or Ripley, then you see characters standing behind glass at various objective points (sealing vents).  That's pretty much it.  There's some interaction with Ash, too, and Dallas (or, I assume, Ripley) mutter some things as you complete objectives, but it's limited.  The best bit of interaction comes right from the movie:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Crawling through the ducts with the flamethrower and an alien while Lambert nervously tells you which way to go.
This isn't a problem with the main game at all, as near as I can tell.  While the cutscenes have some video issues, the performances and writing are good.

The first time trying to avoid a xenomorph is tense and very, very cool.  With repetition, that becomes less so and more of a slog.  Sometimes it feels random whether you get spotted or not.  Sometimes the alien seems to come out of nowhere or cross whole sections of the Nostromo without any real sense of spatial logic.  Part of the reason for that last bit is that the creature seems to move about using a combination of random AI and scripted moments.  

In my first attempt, I got trapped in a room with a circling alien.  He came into the room from an adjoining one, slowly lumbered through while I hid behind a table, then went out into the hallway and back into the adjoining room then back into my room.  Repeat.   I don't know if it was my particular location that got him in a loop or some bit of AI buggery, but while it didn't appear unnatural, it did seem odd.  I was able to slip away.

But during my repeated attempts to get all of the vents sealed, I would slip into the ducts afterward and every time, the thing would just be walking by the irising duct door as it opened.  I know there were times when just previous to this the alien was on the other side of the ship (or at least quite far away), making his appearance too sudden.  I get the logic that sealing the vent makes noise and would attract the thing, but it would be nice if it happened in real time.  Also, watching it walk by the duct every time made it clear that it was a scripted bit.

Then one time I got killed from above with what seemed like no warning. I had heard to look for drool coming from the ceiling, but wow, that felt cheap.

These instances are nothing playing through a segment the first time.  They all appropriately add to the tension (even the suddenly appearing alien), but when your goal is to seal vents on opposite ends of the ship and get to a third part of the ship so you can drop down and the game doesn't autosave until you've done all of that, you're going to be playing through that section quite a bit.  That's when the randomness of the movement can feel aggravating and the repetition of certain behavior calls out the gaminess of what you're doing.  It's even hard to feel like the creatures reactions are consistent.  I blasted it with the flamethrower a couple of times.  Sometimes it retreated, sometimes it didn't.  I can't say for sure that my behavior was exactly the same each time, so that may have caused it, but I had no feel for what I did wrong or right.

Now, I suspect the main game has had a bit more care put into similar sections.  The DLC really does feel like DLC.  It's not highly polished.  None the less, I can see where this would have been frustrating for folks.  Especially reviewers who have to plow through a game quickly.  This game doesn't want to be plowed through quickly.

As I said at the top, I really enjoyed the DLC a lot.  As a fan of the film, it really captured my memories.  The gameplay frustrations were felt intensely while they were happening, but once I successfully pulled off that section, the triumph I felt made all of that seem irrelevant.  I was even able to use the scripted bit to my advantage, and not by gaming the game, but by doing something logical that actually worked.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I dropped a lit flare outside of the main door to the vent room, then slipped into the duct.  I was able to sneak past the distracted alien.

That really made me feel like I'd done something special.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »

I'm cautiously optimistic, and grabbed the game for $30 with a Steam voucher. People should know that the second half of the game apparently takes a dive according to the professional reviews I've read.

Be careful buying the game at full price based upon initial user reviews. A little more minor spoiler info on that for the curious...
Spoiler for Hiden:
the second half of the game is an Alien game without any emphasis on an Alien. Cyborgs take over center stage.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2014, 01:30:38 PM »

I was going to wait for this to get cheaper, but it's mid-October and I've had a bunch of plans cancelled this month, so I think I'm going to take the leap on this one specifically to play it in the Rift.

...I think.

Maybe.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2014, 06:32:56 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 09, 2014, 11:26:43 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic, and grabbed the game for $30 with a Steam voucher. People should know that the second half of the game apparently takes a dive according to the professional reviews I've read.

Be careful buying the game at full price based upon initial user reviews. A little more minor spoiler info on that for the curious...
Spoiler for Hiden:
the second half of the game is an Alien game without any emphasis on an Alien. Cyborgs take over center stage.

So far, this hasn't been the case, and I'm probably over 3/4 through. That "other" aspect is a big part in some missions, but it definitely does not dominate 1/2 of the game. It's also refreshing dealing with that other aspect for a while before returning to the Alien.

I'm near the end of mission 10, and the later mission markers seem to be shorter interludes, so take that as you will. There's been a reasonable amount of backtracking so far, but it feels natural since it's an enclosed space station and you visit a lot of important areas early.

As for mission 10 spoilers discussion:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The flamethrower really changes the dynamic of the game, and for the better. At this point I was getting a bit tired of always hiding from the alien. At least now I can choose to expend some fuel to keep it away for a short time. You still want to hide from it if you want to get to leave an area and go back in the vents so you can access terminals and the like, but it helps keep the game moving.

I also hate seeing those random NPCs that hang out, but you can't talk to them and tell them to hide. So they only exist to die from a random Alien attack if it happens to run by.

At this point, I should note that Pipe Bombs force the alien to flee if it's hit by it, same for molotovs. Very useful. However, you don't have to spray wildly withe the flamethrower, and can squeeze off some controlled bursts of flame to save fuel. So, because fuel lasts a long time for me, and I keep finding more, I'm kind of not afraid of the Alien, other than to make sure I know in general where it is.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2014, 01:04:37 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 10, 2014, 06:32:56 PM

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 09, 2014, 11:26:43 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

So far, this hasn't been the case, and I'm probably over 3/4 through. That "other" aspect is a big part in some missions, but it definitely does not dominate 1/2 of the game. It's also refreshing dealing with that other aspect for a while before returning to the Alien.

I'm near the end of mission 10, and the later mission markers seem to be shorter interludes, so take that as you will. There's been a reasonable amount of backtracking so far, but it feels natural since it's an enclosed space station and you visit a lot of important areas early.

As for mission 10 spoilers discussion:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The flamethrower really changes the dynamic of the game, and for the better. At this point I was getting a bit tired of always hiding from the alien. At least now I can choose to expend some fuel to keep it away for a short time. You still want to hide from it if you want to get to leave an area and go back in the vents so you can access terminals and the like, but it helps keep the game moving.

I also hate seeing those random NPCs that hang out, but you can't talk to them and tell them to hide. So they only exist to die from a random Alien attack if it happens to run by.

At this point, I should note that Pipe Bombs force the alien to flee if it's hit by it, same for molotovs. Very useful. However, you don't have to spray wildly withe the flamethrower, and can squeeze off some controlled bursts of flame to save fuel. So, because fuel lasts a long time for me, and I keep finding more, I'm kind of not afraid of the Alien, other than to make sure I know in general where it is.

I haven't gotten to Dante's spoiler stuff, but even that fits in with the first film.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Ash was in sone ways a bigger threat than the Alien.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2014, 11:30:53 PM »

My VR impressions: let me hit the bad first. The VR implementation is there, but clearly unfinished (hence why it's an undocumented ini file tweak). Most notably, I have to close one eye to read the monitors/consoles, and there's a tilting/instability that needs to be corrected (with a gamepad button press) every 3-4 minutes or so.

Now, the good (good?)

AHHHHHH AAAAAAAAH AAAAAAAAAH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I HATE IT IN HERE WHY DID THAT SPACESHIP LEAVE WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF?

(note, this is my impression before I even -get- to an alien. At my current rate of 'nope' that may take a bit yet).

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2014, 12:48:15 AM »

This damn game scares me too much to play for more than like 10 mins.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2014, 03:14:30 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 13, 2014, 12:48:15 AM

This damn game scares me too much to play for more than like 10 mins.

Yeah, I just decided to get in one last session before bed... figured I'd play 15-20 minutes, and managed about that. The thing that really gets me (since I'm playing first-time on the Rift) is just how present they try to make you in the world - little touches like your head bumping those lights hanging in vents. Apparently if you're in a locker hiding, and you move your head into it while peeking, you can bump it and attract unwelcome attention, which is an almost unwelcome attention to detail.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I started just a few minutes shy of meeting Axel for the first time, and played until the sequence when he departed. I don't honestly know if the Alien was around while I was waiting for the transit tram, but as soon as I hit the button and the music changed, I picked about the worst hiding spot (crouching at the crate right by the tram), and only realized how awful it was when I was seeing how much light there was in that one spot. I don't honestly know if the Alien is actually hunting you during that scene, or if it's just dramatic scene-setting... but my heart rate was up higher than it's been in a long time. I was just crouching there, watching the flickering lights and moving smoke/fog, peeking and peeking as much as I dared (and the Rift setting doesn't seem to let you do that with the controller - if you want to peek around the corner, you're doing it by moving your head. I honestly cannot remember a more legitimately fearful moment I've had in gaming. Frankly, the farther I get, the more terrified I get of my first inevitable death - I honestly don't know if I'll be able to keep playing in VR if it's going to stay like that. I'm sort of hoping that dying a few times gets me somewhat used to it, instead of making me 'nope' out so hard I go back to the monitor.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:29:13 AM by Clanwolfer » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: