http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 04:55:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alien: Isolation announced - kinda looks good?  (Read 1277 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2014, 05:31:07 PM »

http://gamingtrend.com/video-post/alien-isolation-announced-may-redeem-franchise/

I'm not sold because of just how hard we were burned by Colonial Marines, but this could be good.  I'm sure Creative Assembly could use a break from RTS titles.  I'm not gonna be sold on it until I play it for myself though. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:07:12 PM »

It gave me the System Shock feeling which is a good thing.  Trailer actually showed game play which looked good to me in this early stage

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 06:11:21 PM »

I read an early preview and it sounds very promising.  it's going for one of the few areas where the theme of the movies can be migrated to the game without issue.  as opposed to Aliens, which by its underlying theme would make for quite a different game than what we got or were promised. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:49 PM »

Not falling for this again!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 07:25:59 PM »

Yeah a few of us a couple of weeks ago were talking about it here,and that seems to be the general feeling...wait and see

Even the 2010 Aliens Vs Predator game didn't scare people off like Aliens Colonial Marines did

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:56:58 PM »

I like the survivor horror genre of it so that has me hopeful. Just hoping the puzzles are not simplistic ones where the solution is always in the same room. And the path you follow isn't completely linear. Machine of Pigs did both those things and it wore out it really just killed the entire thing.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:38:53 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 07, 2014, 07:13:49 PM

Me neither. There hasn't been a decent Alien game since the Sega Genesis days.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 01:45:48 AM »

People got excited when they herd Gearbox was doing an Aliens game...then Colonial Marines happened. There's been a surprising number of Aliens themed games and IMO only a few have been worth anything. This games got allot to overcome to get me to lay down cash for it.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 01:53:25 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on January 08, 2014, 01:45:48 AM

People got excited when they herd Gearbox was doing an Aliens game...then Colonial Marines happened. There's been a surprising number of Aliens themed games and IMO only a few have been worth anything. This games got allot to overcome to get me to lay down cash for it.

If Gearbox had done the work, we might have had something.  This Sega outsources to Gearbox which outsourced to the now-defunct TimeGate Studios.  At least there is only the dev and publisher in this scenario.  (or at least we hope so...)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 01:59:12 AM »

The dev video does look pretty cool, but I could see it getting old quickly, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I7OGlL6gU8#t=143
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 02:33:22 AM »

my favorite alien game by far is still the Atari Jaguar Aliens/Predator game.  Way ahead of its time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEhFFU_vRZE

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 03:00:10 AM »

This is pretty much the AAA take on Amnesia, with a license. This pretty much wouldn't exist without Amnesia and similar indie horror games taking off.

Although apparently you will be fighting some human soldiers along the way from leaked documents, but they've indicated there will still just be sequences where there's just 1 alien.

I think this preview might also be a kind of focus test to see if there's a market for more sections where you're just running.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 08:34:26 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on January 07, 2014, 11:38:53 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on January 07, 2014, 07:13:49 PM

Me neither. There hasn't been a decent Alien game since the Sega Genesis days.

I enjoyed Alien Trilogy on the original Playstation

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 08:58:35 AM »

The reputation of Creative Assembly is pretty bleak right now, so I'm very much on a wait and see mode for this.

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »

To be brutally honest, they probably pushed Rome 2 out to die so that CA would work on the Warhammer Fantasy game, and this.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 02:40:59 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 08, 2014, 02:12:06 PM

To be brutally honest, they probably pushed Rome 2 out to die so that CA would work on the Warhammer Fantasy game, and this.

that's a sobering ass thought

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 03:53:26 AM »

AI will be a success, but far below Sega's stupid projections. The Warhammer Total War game will be a failure. The warhammer games and licenses were driven into the ground and it's not valuable as an IP anymore, and Total War players were burned by Rome, meanwhile CA won't have the resources to finish both games properly, combined with the tech demands of putting the games on consoles, so they will throw it into AI instead of WTW which will lead to even more of the TW jank players hated in all of their recent games.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 04:01:09 AM »

Revealing what an old caveman I am, but I never found an Alien game as thrilling as Justin Fischer's Aliens TC [total conversion] for Doom nearly 20 years ago, including digitized voice clips from Cameron's film (you probably wouldn't get away with that today, even for a free mod):
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Aliens_TC
The locations in the main levels (E2M1-E2M8) correspond more or less to the plot progression of the film, although it is not clear whether the large-scale geography is intended as a faithful reproduction. Players familiar with the film will immediately notice certain landmarks, such as:

Entering the installation via completely deserted corridors and noticing one or two holes etched through the floor.
    Finding an overgrown area with human victims embedded in the walls.
    Sealing thick doors to stop pursuing aliens, then escaping by crawling through a long pipe.
    Being locked in a medical lab as an alarm rings.
    Aliens ambushing the protagonists by dropping through the ceiling.
    Ascending a tall elevator to reach the landing platform, then having to go back down again.
    Confronting the alien queen in the landing bay of the carrier.

Justin Fisher considers it a minor bug that voice clips (see below) are often heard at times when the character in question would be dead or otherwise not present.
Of course there were no zillion dollar CGI models. You used your imagination to fill in the gaps, and for all the blood and goo and chest bursters of the first couple films, the movies did a great job of wreaking havoc with my imagination, both at age 14 (Alien) and age 21 (Aliens).  icon_cool paranoid

For me the high points since then were on PC the Marine campaign in Monolith's Aliens vs. Predator 2 even if their various cheap tricks to keep you from letting you have an actual squad to fight with were lame (Oct. 2001 release - I was really disappointed with its expansion); and the surprisingly fun Alien 3 side scroller game, which I recall playing on my Sega Genesis around 1993-1994.

As far as Alien: Isolation goes, yeah it sounds good and in the right direction, but I thought that about the Colonial Marines game right up until like others I realized "oh wait, Gearboxx doesn't have jack to do with this, it's gonna be a mess," and so it was...  Roll Eyes I will keep this on my radar screen though.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 04:05:39 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 09, 2014, 04:01:09 AM

Revealing what an old caveman I am, but I never found an Alien game as thrilling as Justin Fischer's Aliens TC [total conversion] for Doom nearly 20 years ago, including digitized voice clips from Cameron's film (you probably wouldn't get away with that today, even for a free mod):

Yup, that was an amazing mod at the time. One of the first total conversions. I can still remember the level where you need to lock down the med-bay.

I do seem to recall there was some cease and desist thing on it. At the time I was working in the AOL games area and seem to recall it had to be removed from our libraries.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 06:56:10 AM »

The first Aliens Vs Predator game was pretty fun as well - Both the campaign but also the multiplayer, which was seriously ahead of its time, with its tilted scales.

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 03:52:21 PM »

AvP 2 was one of my favorite multiplayer shooters ever, but the setup killed it.  (no join in progress, difficulty getting into a match)

Some of my most fun times were playing it with Kato and Jarrod
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 10:39:01 PM »

some new images.  like the detail in some of these

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 10:59:51 PM »

Some of those look too good to be true. I suspect it may be a mix of in game and cutscenes..
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 04:45:30 AM »

Actually, it looks like they're using PBR, which are physical based rendering, probably for the new gen versions of this. PBR uses systems that are closer to say, architectural rendering methods, which is why upcoming games like The Order 1886 look really good.

Or even if they aren't using PBR, they're paying a lot of attention to mimicking the way the films' materials and lighting looked, which means the same effect.

Those are also new gen depth of field effects, since the blurring is high quality. That throws people off when they see blurs and depth of field that isn't crap and annoying, which is possible and not that taxing for new gen consoles GPUs.

That said, this is a cross gen game, so they can't go whole hog into new gen tech, but where they can they will. And these are also supersampled screenshots, basically bullshots taken at super high resolution, then compressed, which always makes things look better.
paulstraytalker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 05:27:45 PM »

It's Aliens....I'm gonna wait and see... I do like the visuals though.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 05:29:47 PM »

Quote from: paulstraytalker on January 21, 2014, 05:27:45 PM

Not Aliens, it's Alien.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 05:39:28 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 21, 2014, 04:45:30 AM

Actually, it looks like they're using PBR, which are physical based rendering, probably for the new gen versions of this. PBR uses systems that are closer to say, architectural rendering methods, which is why upcoming games like The Order 1886 look really good.

Or even if they aren't using PBR, they're paying a lot of attention to mimicking the way the films' materials and lighting looked, which means the same effect.

Those are also new gen depth of field effects, since the blurring is high quality. That throws people off when they see blurs and depth of field that isn't crap and annoying, which is possible and not that taxing for new gen consoles GPUs.

That said, this is a cross gen game, so they can't go whole hog into new gen tech, but where they can they will. And these are also supersampled screenshots, basically bullshots taken at super high resolution, then compressed, which always makes things look better.
I'm hoping they do and make the two versions clearly different from the graphics standpoint.  I want to see what they can do with the engine when they really try.  I loaded up Killzone again last night and the extra detail and effects were noticeable. 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 09:46:52 PM »

I don't remember Ripley having a daughter. When was that mentioned in the movies?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 09:55:21 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on January 21, 2014, 05:29:47 PM

Not Aliens, it's Alien.

This is one of those rare cases where arguing semantics is actually hugely important.

Quote from: Teggy on January 21, 2014, 09:46:52 PM

I don't remember Ripley having a daughter. When was that mentioned in the movies?

In the Aliens special edition. She had a daughter before she left on the Nostromo trip, and by the time she returned to civilization in the beginning of Aliens, her daughter had already lived a full life and died of old age.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 09:58:21 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 21, 2014, 09:55:21 PM

In the Aliens special edition. She had a daughter before she left on the Nostromo trip, and by the time she returned to civilization in the beginning of Aliens, her daughter had already lived a full life and died of old age.

Ah, right, I do remember that.  I guess I can speculate on when this takes place then, but if I'm going to play it, probably better to just go in blind.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 03:41:49 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 21, 2014, 09:55:21 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on January 21, 2014, 05:29:47 PM

Not Aliens, it's Alien.

This is one of those rare cases where arguing semantics is actually hugely important.

Quote from: Teggy on January 21, 2014, 09:46:52 PM

Well I guess you can't die in the game then..
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 05:42:32 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on January 22, 2014, 03:41:49 AM

Considering how trustworthy Weyland-Yutani is, we can't really know if they were telling the truth to Ripley.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 05:27:55 PM »

Ripley's daughter is an android!

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 06:42:56 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 22, 2014, 05:42:32 AM

Considering how trustworthy Weyland-Yutani is, we can't really know if they were telling the truth to Ripley.
What do you mean? Burke seemed very trustworthy!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 06:54:18 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on January 22, 2014, 06:42:56 PM

Not to contain them only to destroy, you have my word!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 08:51:44 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 22, 2014, 06:54:18 PM

Technically they were destroyed! See.. Listen to Burke!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on January 22, 2014, 08:51:44 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on January 22, 2014, 06:54:18 PM

Technically they were destroyed! See.. Listen to Burke!
Man that's a good point
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 12:31:53 PM »

Talking Terror with Alien Isolation-Q+A with Creative Assembly

some of the questions seem interesting and just this question is probably my favourite icon_wink

Presumably length is important because you havenít got multiplayer?

it does still sound as though they have a lot of work to do,but at the same time it does sound as though they are getting there

this sounds interesting
Iím not using this word in a pejorative sense, but is the game linear?

AH: Itís a single-player experience thatís very much about the story, but at the same time itís very much about player choice. So what you didnít get today, today was straight forward in terms of the layout. In the wider game, weíre not really talking about it today, but thereís more opportunity to find alternative ways to manoeuvre and navigate around the world.

JM: Other paths to choose to solve problems.

So there will be combat, right? And puzzles?

AH: Weíre not making a shooter, but there is conflict.

JM: In terms of puzzles, there are things to solve like hacking games and a few other things that weíll be talking about later.

More in the link

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2014, 12:19:50 AM »

Alien Isolation launches October 7

keeping my fingers crossed til then.  and I am not going to be a guinea pig this time.  waiting for trustworthy reviews and fellow forum-ers impressions. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2014, 12:32:15 AM »

Quote from: Caine on March 30, 2014, 12:19:50 AM

Alien Isolation launches October 7

keeping my fingers crossed til then.  and I am not going to be a guinea pig this time.  waiting for trustworthy reviews and fellow forum-ers impressions. 

Sure hope it ends up as good as it's looked in previews.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: