http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:43:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alien Breed Evolution: Impact Demo out  (Read 3013 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2010, 07:22:54 AM »

Alien Breed returns, and there's a demo on Steam.  the whole game is due out June 3rd, and it's going to be less than 15 bucks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 07:48:12 AM »

Its been out for what, 8 months on XBLA by now. And it sucked donkey-balls.

They also promised episodic content for it,and since then - nothing... I guess sales and reception werent as warm as they thought it would be.

Its kinda sad, but its their own damn fault. They took away one of the beloved mechanics of the game, in an obvious effort to streamline it (i.e. dumb down) the game for console gamers, namely the purchasing of weapons. Now, you just find them.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:00:49 PM »

maybe they've tweaked it for the PC.

here's a trailer for the demo.

Because I can,
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 08:14:49 AM »

Downloading the demo smile

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 05:36:03 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 28, 2010, 07:48:12 AM

Its kinda sad, but its their own damn fault. They took away one of the beloved mechanics of the game, in an obvious effort to streamline it (i.e. dumb down) the game for console gamers, namely the purchasing of weapons. Now, you just find them.

I played around with the Demo. In the PC version at-least you can buy and upgrade weapons at special locations.  The controls just felt off to me though, I think I would have to wait for a really cheap sale.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 06:26:36 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on May 29, 2010, 05:36:03 PM

Quote from: Razgon on May 28, 2010, 07:48:12 AM

I played around with the Demo. In the PC version at-least you can buy and upgrade weapons at special locations.  The controls just felt off to me though, I think I would have to wait for a really cheap sale.

oh? Thats a VAST improvement... nice to know.

As for the controls, I know what you  mean - at least on the Xbox. The whole game is just a bit...well, flat and uinspired, which is really a shame, but then again, its hard to compete against a memory of the games of yore.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 07:17:12 PM »

it's already 15 bucks, I'm guessing the best chance for it to be on sale will be during the holiday sale.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 02:44:44 AM »

Damnation, I stumbled on the demo of this. I'm at a low ebb in terms of gaming interest right now, but this is just up my alley. icon_cool Although I loved little Frozenbyte's Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor, this really blows it away in terms of effects and visual pizazz.  icon_biggrin

I'm not real clear on the co-op. I mean, it's supposed to be online, but I don't know if you can simply join via Steam servers or if you need to exchange IP addresses or something.

A little peek...

Control felt fine to me. You may need to adjust the rotation speed or mouse sensitivity in options. The tiny Steam forums for the game seems to have control complaints, but it may just not be friendly to certain videocards or something. As far as the weapons, you do find them, and you also still buy stuff and upgrade them at the kiosks.

A site called Co-Optimus has some pics and what not:
http://www.co-optimus.com/related-news/alien-breed-impact

They're shaving something like $1.50 off the price for Steam pre-orders. I might go ahead and do it.

Besides, it uses the same engine as the upcoming new Medal of Honor game (Unreal 3), so consider it an MOH preview.  icon_razz If only someone would do a WWII game in this format.  drool
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 02:47:15 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 08:21:26 AM »

I'm tempted, from the demo I suspect it is quite short but it was fun

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 11:52:05 AM »

I gotta run, but I uploaded one somewhat grainy video from demo to Photobucket:

Since the game doesn't actually release until today, haven't so far found any first hand impressions of the full game, or how the co-op works.

Although I pre-ordered, Steam's new interfaced confused me to death. I try to use these "one use" credit card numbers for security's sake, but Steam retained the last one I used and didn't prompt me for new credit card info. The order still seemed to go through, but I'm still waiting for it to say "this doesn't work."  icon_razz I dunno, maybe it'll still redirect to my correct #.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 09:52:34 PM »

Hey I'll let you guys know if my purchase actually went through, the game released today on Steam.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 09:56:56 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 03, 2010, 09:52:34 PM

Hey I'll let you guys know if my purchase actually went through, the game released today on Steam.

I bought it, the demo is a good reflection of the game if you liked the demo this will appeal if not give it a miss. I liked the demo smile Just wish you could save anywhere not just save points!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 10:15:52 PM »

Any idea on the co-op play? Is it just hotseat, or is there some way to play online? I would assume the latter -- this is an Unreal 3 engine game afterall -- but I still can't quite tell.  icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 02:58:37 AM »

Hey it DOES in fact have online co-op, including quick matching, custom matches or setting up a game buds can join. So if anyone else here has that, please try to look me up (I think I'm "BlackjackGT" as far as Steam nick goes). My purchase did go through.

If I can figure out how to host a match, I'll try to get one going and post here.

The co-op UI is nicely done. You can easily invite anyone right off your Steam friends list. Alas, you can't start a co-op game until you have a partner so since I don't know anyone who has this, I'm screwed on co-op for now.  icon_razz You can set it up as a Public game to just let anyone join (or private), but probably the world isn't crawling with players just yet.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:02:55 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 03:59:20 AM »

Just did a little bit of co-op just now (the auto-matching worked, and there seem to be a few players on tonight), and it's fun as hell.  icon_cool Repetitive I'm sure, and there's only 3 large co-op maps to work on, but fun.

The voice chat works well, but the guy I teamed with said when he used the integrated voice chat, it interfered with the gamepad he was using. He was suggesting using Steam's own voice chat but I'm exhausted and needed to scram.

Once nice touch is they give each player slightly different sounds for each gun (so you can more easily tell who's firing I guess). Pretty cool "mini gun" sound as an alternate for the assault rifle.

Anyway, I will be putting serious co-op time on this tomorrow night as long as I can find some fellow playahs.  icon_cool

I'll post a co-op video in just a few.

Ta da...

Online Co-Op (via Steam)

The 3 co-op maps seem sort of large subsections of the SP campaign. There aren't the same objectives but you still do a fair amount of switch manipulating. They really throw some nasty hordes here and there. When your character dies, you just need to wait a little bit (maybe 10 seconds) for him to get back up with full health -- I think the catch may be that if you BOTH die at the same time, then the mission ends. That's what seemed to happen on the second co-op I just did.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:29:55 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 04:51:33 AM »

That other co-op video's a little short on splatter, so let's try this one.  icon_cool Who knew a $13.49 (albeit sale's over now) isometric shooter would wake me out of my gaming doldrums.  icon_biggrin

Splatterfest

And your co-op primer....
Match Options

Map Options

Lobby (don't think you can text chat in it, might be able to voice chat in it)

Inviting Steam Friends

*NOTE: I don't think to this day I've ever played any game with CeeKay, but I never stop trying.  icon_lol

And yes you know I'm finally excited again when I post too many screenshots and stay up too damn late like this.  icon_cool I don't know how much "legs" the co-op has, but if you're dying for some isometric online co-op gunplay, your ship has come in.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 11:56:37 AM »

Here's the Steam store page:

Alien Breed: Impact on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22610/

Although the $13.49 sale is over, they've now got an offer where you can buy two copies (one as a gift) for just $22.48, meaning the 2nd copy half off. Damnation, I would've done that myself.  icon_cool

Checking the forums, there are some Windows 7 users experiencing some bugs here and there, so I'd still suggest a demo whirl first.

If the game were $50, I'd blanche about there only being 3 large co-op maps, but I think it's the mere act of playing this type of thing in online co-op with other folks that's fun and refreshing to me, rather than working my way through a map per se. I may only be nuts about it for a week unless they add some DLC, but at the price, I can't really complain.  icon_smile

Also, there's an official community group, I think maybe set up by the devs. It has about 149 members:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/alienbreed
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:11:48 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 05:58:29 PM »

fwiw, Steam forums are getting busy on this:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=904

It seems apparent the current Steam demo is perhaps *not* the "free trial" mentioned on the game's main page. The trial is supposed to offer limited co-op play on one map too, which the current Steam demo doesn't.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 08:51:51 PM »

Is the co-op for the PC version online, offline or both?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 09:19:35 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 04, 2010, 08:51:51 PM

Is the co-op for the PC version online, offline or both?
See my screenshots above.  icon_smile Quick primer is...

*The co-op is online-only via Steam, 2-players.
*There is no hot-seat/split-screen multiplayer in the PC version (dunno, did the XBLA version offer that?). A few Shadowgrounds (which has hotseat) fans blanche, but cripes, I musta seen 5 million posts at Frozenbyte's forums begging for some sort of online multiplayer, which the little dev said it couldn't afford to include or add.
*You can't start a co-op game solo and then have someone join in. I assume because it's spawning for 2 players right away and you'd probably get buried quickly.  icon_smile
*The co-op is on three pretty huge, specific-to-co-op maps. Although there are switches, vending kiosks, and so forth, it doesn't seem like you don't have the mission objectives and cutscene stuff as in single player (it would really bog things down imho).
*I think it would be nice if you could transfer ammmo, medkits etc. to an ailing co-op partner, but I don't think you can. I might look into that.

You can:
-Automatch, and the game will match you up with someone as quickly as it can (it can take a while if there aren't a lot of other players online)
-Set up a game either public or private and wait for someone to join.
-You can invite folks directly off your Steam friends list (if they have the game)

There are lots of co-op Steam Achievements fwiw.

I can't pretend 3 multiplayer maps will entertain me for a long period of time. I just figure what's fun is the playing -- it's not so much about completing a map. Maybe I already said that. My memory goes... icon_smile I'm dying to get out of work and play some more tonight.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:26:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 09:29:31 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 04, 2010, 09:19:35 PM

*There is no hot-seat/split-screen multiplayer in the PC version (dunno, did the XBLA version offer that?).

It definitely does split-screen, yeah.  Dunno about hotseat though.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 09:58:28 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 04, 2010, 09:29:31 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on June 04, 2010, 09:19:35 PM

*There is no hot-seat/split-screen multiplayer in the PC version (dunno, did the XBLA version offer that?).

It definitely does split-screen, yeah.  Dunno about hotseat though.
Well, my fault -- "hot seat" is just really fancy pants PC gamer talk for being able to play a game at the same computer.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 12:23:20 AM »

I tried grabbing the demo last night but everyone and their brother must have been grabbing it too because I was getting about 300kbps for a download speed.  gave up waiting and grabbed all 5 Tales of Monkey Island for play this coming week and they were averaging 1.9mbps.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 01:24:50 AM »

Oh I found the "Guest Pass," which lets you play a limited trial version (including co-op) rather than just the SP demo. There's a "Guest Pass" link on your Alien Breed page in your games library, once you've bought it.

I'm afraid I'm stuck on Level 1 in SP campaign (can't figure out how to reach the final elevator lift), and am posting to get some help at forums on that. Co-op doesn't seem to be functioning properly for most folks tonight, alas.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 03:01:17 AM »

It took sometime but I finally got a guy from NY to join me and we had a great time on the first co-op map. We finished it, but it took about 3-4 tries. We found it worked well for one player to focus on the assault rifle, the other on shotguns, and generally divvy ammo that way.

I'll have some videos up shortly. The first co-op map is pretty epic in length imho, and they do a good job of varying the aliens and how they come at you.  icon_smile

Here's a few neato co-op sequences from tonight (click to view):
Co-op Hardened Armor (we almost got swamped here, but the "Hardened Armor" secondary item [a temporary use item] kept me upright)

Corridor of Doom (this got real ugly just after this video ends; I should register FRAPS someday so I can do longer films)

Survival (in both SP and co-op, occasionally you have to fend off a swarm from all directions for 30 seconds)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 03:26:52 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010, 01:26:06 PM »

Here's my revamped YouTube co-op gameplay videos, all in 1280X720 HD (click the icons lower right there for larger screen views):

Dopey's Last Stand (HD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvlUAPTDj-E
*Dopey's a bud from playing a lot of co-op Saturday

Stun Grenade to the Rescue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIpa5AKb64o
*One of the few times a video shows me doing something competent. Stun grenade's a real lifesaver when surrounded.

Hardened Armor saves the day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9-DNZ4JTPQ
*I wish I could've made the video 10 seconds longer as my guy's shotgunning was something to see... ;D

Decontamination Chamber (now in HD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuS9vzJVW8o

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 05:09:53 PM »

If anyone's interested in my Alien Breed Evolution "Steam guest pass" (one redeemed, it's only good for 24-hours, but you get to play the full game, as I understand it), PM me and I'll see what I can do. You just need to use it by about July 3, I think (that's its expiration date, in terms of "redeem it by X date").

I'd probably wait to redeem it until you have a full day (or most of one) to blow on trying it.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:31:09 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 07:27:56 PM »

I feel like Don Quixote (or Groundhog Day), but I'm still seeking someone on Steam to pass along my Guest Pass to. If anyone's interested, let me know (PM me here if you prefer).

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 06:41:18 PM »

Couple more YouTubes from some co-op last night:
AlienBreed Impact Co-Op, Ion Spike Weapon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJB-psLN9M

Alien Breed Impact Co-Op: Nighthawk's Last Stand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gei2rsZBqHI

The Team 17 Community Manager finally piped up at the Steam Forums to seek some feedback. He gave some replies on some things, and talked about two upcoming followup games (which seems to nix the idea of any PC DLC for this):

Here's the thread:
Sorry I'm Late: - Team17 wants your feedback
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299073
To save you the pain, I cherry picked a few of his replies:
Quote from: billt17, community manager
Why can't we play the single player campaign in co-op? We want more co-op.

The reason the whole game is not co-op is due to a number of reasons. The 1st is the map sizes, they are huge and very memory intensive. We also came across a huge number of logic issues where players could trigger events and the other player would find themselves stuck.

The gameplay is different in single player to co-op, the single player experience is more objective based whereas the co-op is just one objective (get to the lift). We thought that shorter more intense co-op sessions would suit players better.

Having said all that, we are planning more co-op content for the next Episode.
====================
Connection issues, why not an SDK?

Ok, we will look into the achievements issue [they have fixed this -- the Steam achievements page for this wasn't working, and was directing you to your Steam profile page instead-bj] and we are currently looking at the co-op connection problems [my big issue, just doesn't work consistently, esp. the public-game matchmaking-bj].

As for releasing an SDK, I'm afraid that is something we have not looked into at all, we are too busy working on episodes 2 and 3. We are using a heavily modified Unreal editor, so maps can't be edited just using the downloadable kit from Unreal. [I can't see them doing this until they're done with the series and don't plan any more releases-bj]

====================
Steam Achievements, and Camera Zooming [i.e., why not?]

This issue should now be fixed, was a problem at Steam's end and they tell us it's now sorted. Thanks for alerting us to the problem.

I tend to always move the camera so that I have the most amount of space in front of me, helps me pick off the aliens better, but that's just me. As for zoom out, we will have to see, because of technical issues to do with culling of scenery, we might get horrible clipping issues if we allow people to choose their zoom.
While I'd assume the next two episodes will release on XBLA first, I'm not sure.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 07:24:51 PM »

That link for the community manager is excellent, if I didn't have the game already I would purchase it after that!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »

I stumbled onto a June interview at a site called Gaming Bolt:

Alien Breed: Impact Interview with Martyn Brown
Martyn  Brown: We’re obviously a pretty experienced development team. We’ve also self-funded, developed and published the title. This is no mean feat in today’s games industry, especially the scale of a game like Alien Breed (which had 35 staff working on it at some stages). Our relative experience in production, the commerce and obviously design has helped at all levels.

Sam Mcneil:You have also seen a lot of success with the Worms franchise; Do you think Impact will bring a new interest in Alien Breed? Could this possibly the start of a new set of Next Gen titles for Alien Breed?

Martyn  Brown:
We’ve committed to a trilogy of Alien Breed titles, that’s for sure. They certainly escalate in effects and intensity as the story continues to a dramatic closure. In many ways it’s very refreshing for the studio to work on a game that’s almost the polar opposite of what Worms is, in terms of both audio-visual production and gameplay. On the whole, we’d like people to enjoy Team17 games irrespective of the genre.
And a little side note. I heard from a bud I knew from some military gaming forums that he helped test this, and he told me to check for his name in the Alien Breed Impact credits. I haven't looked yet.  icon_smile

I just wish they would've found a way to clean up the co-op connection/matchmaking ability. It just didn't work reliably enough to get to enjoy co-op consistently.

In single player I got stuck on the sequence where you're wandering around outside, and your suit oxygen's gradually running out. Although imaginative, that sequence got a little too maze-like for my tastes, and I couldn't successfully figure out a route.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 08:59:58 PM »

The game is on sale at Steam as their mid-week sale.  You can buy one copy for $7.49 or two for $11.24.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 09:05:56 PM »

maybe i should give the demo a try then.  if the mp community is stronger around the pc it might make up for the console's state of DOA. 

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 11:19:09 PM »

Seems like this game will have a tougher time getting any new audience with Valve releasing the similar title Alien Swarm for free.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 11:45:30 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on August 03, 2010, 11:19:09 PM

Seems like this game will have a tougher time getting any new audience with Valve releasing the similar title Alien Swarm for free.

yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  of course I fired up Alien Swarm last night for the first time and it locked up.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 07:30:23 PM »

I still like this game quite a bit, but it's a shame they never seemed to work the kinks out of the matchmaking system. Nor did they put any effort into a server browser like Valve/Black Cat did with Alien Swarm post-release. It's disappointing a free game (Alien Swarm) is getting better post-release support than one we pay for.

That said, the fan-made attempts at new maps/campaigns for Alien Swarm are pretty meager, imho (and currently you can't download them within the game per se). So I would still be keen on dev-created Alien Breed Evolution campaigns at a bargain price down the road.

Well, and for Alien Swarm too for that matter -- but once you put the SDK/tools out, most fans blanch at being charged for any further dev-created work unless it maybe truly adds some new stuff to the game that can't be done with the SDK (from what fans working with the Alien Swarm SDK indicate, they don't yet have ability to introduce new character models, items, weapons etc. -- they're limited to the assets already in there).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 07:36:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 03:37:10 PM »

A 5-months-later revisit paid off this morning. I finally finished the frustrating "air lock" sequence near the end of mission 4 in ABI:

Alas, the entertaining Mission 5 has an endless-boss either at or near the end, and I've punted after several failures. It's just an endurance contest and even with the armor powerup, it's kaput.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2010, 02:35:11 PM »

Some day I'll learn that when I start whining about something, I usually break through shortly thereafter. After having some wine with dinner Friday, I finished it. Finally!  icon_smile

The key for me was to save the armor buff item for the very last "worm" and then just keep moving. Probably it's as close to "circle strafing" as I've ever gotten.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 04:37:05 AM »

I've been getting back into this of late (some solace with FPSs, even with FOV adjusted, causing motion sickness issues still), and doing some co-op again.

Still quite fun both in the SP campaign and the co-op.

I've done some Alien Swarm too again, but I find the more deliberate co-op of the AB stuff more interesting in its own way. I also find the friendly fire in AS incredibly exasperating at times.

It's a shame Team 17's not planning any further games but I appreciate getting 3, given the lukewarm sales on both PCs and consoles. If they'd continued it, I would've told them to ditch the gimmicky turret and side-scroller craziness of AB3. imho, it could've used (if technically feasible) some form of online splitscreen to make co-op a smoother experience, and maps that were a bit less frustrating to decipher. We put an hour into the Hydroponics map tonight and gave up cause we just couldn't find a route to an objective late in the map.

I like to think there might have been some way to automate (as an option) the camera control a bit. I mostly play it with the free rotation on, but I do find myself constantly fiddling with the view. When I tried playing it in fixed view (as w/ the co-op) though, I really missed the smooth camera rotation by mouse, even though I think it could've used some improvements.

Even though the AB series was apparently sales failure, there is this sort of cult appeal on Steam. My last two or three "blind" friend invites were from guys looking for co-op teammates on AB or AB2. I guess getting stuck with these cult classics is my motion sickness cross to bear.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:39:50 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 06:55:41 AM »

finally got around to giving this a shot after picking it up for dirt cheap over the holidays.  I've given it up to the start of level 4 (I hear there's 5 levels) and man, talk about getting boring.  the game is like Murphy's Law in action- 

1 - go to use the toilet and find out there's no toilet paper
2 - go to grab toilet paper and find out the cabinet is locked
3 - go to janitors closet to get key and find out janitors closet is locked
4 - go find the janitor
5 - get key, return to closet to find out lights don't work
6 - go to maintenance room to flip breakers
7 - flip breakers only to find out one is missing
8 - walk a mile to get breaker from hardware store
9 - return, only to find out bridge has blown up so you have to go the long way
10 - replace breaker
11 - grab toilet paper
12 - return to restroom
13- attempt to drop pants only to find out your belt buckle is jammed
14 - go find pliers to loosen buckle
15 - after loosening buckle, drop pants
16 - realize it was only just gas building up

I've never played a game where I've wanted to just have the option for my character to commit suicide.

oh, and the camera control sucks.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: