http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 12:01:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aiming tips for console shooters  (Read 2600 times)
SuperHiro
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2007, 05:36:14 PM »

Alright, I'm certainly no TML when playing UT2k4.  Or gellar when I play BF2142.  But I'm alright.  I even hit the top of the leaderboard sometimes (and way more often once I unlock that god damn Baur).

But man, when I play a console shooter, it's like my hands turn to stone.  In Gears of War, I'm all jumping around from cover to cover, that's not a problem.  Even got a few immensely satisfying chainsaw kills.  But once that left trigger is pushed, aiming becomes a chore.  Or more like, I can't aim with the precision I usually have with the mouse.  This is my first console shooter, so I know I have a pretty big learning curve to get over.  But JESUS CHRIST, how do you guys do it?

Just Hiro will do.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:05:13 PM »

Practice, Practice, Practice.

- shaggy

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:05:27 PM »

I suck too, so don't ask me. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 06:16:01 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on January 05, 2007, 05:36:14 PM

Alright, I'm certainly no TML when playing UT2k4.  Or gellar when I play BF2142.  But I'm alright.  I even hit the top of the leaderboard sometimes (and way more often once I unlock that god damn Baur).

But man, when I play a console shooter, it's like my hands turn to stone.  In Gears of War, I'm all jumping around from cover to cover, that's not a problem.  Even got a few immensely satisfying chainsaw kills.  But once that left trigger is pushed, aiming becomes a chore.  Or more like, I can't aim with the precision I usually have with the mouse.  This is my first console shooter, so I know I have a pretty big learning curve to get over.  But JESUS CHRIST, how do you guys do it?
I suck too, but it helped (at least in Halo 2) to turn UP the sensitivity.  Might try that?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 07:05:56 PM »

This is exactly why I just stay away from FPS console games altogether.

I'm trying to get in to Killer 7, but the aiming trouble is really hurting the experience for me.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 07:09:58 PM »

Quote from: depward on January 05, 2007, 06:16:01 PM

I suck too, but it helped (at least in Halo 2) to turn UP the sensitivity.  Might try that?

TURN IT UP?! ARE YOU MAD?!  My cursor is already flying all over the place.  I think I just need to get used to the concept of the analog stick.  I'm too used to just flinging it all the way to the side. har har har.

Just Hiro will do.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 07:15:18 PM »

Just like I had to do when I played PC FPS, I had to learn to adapt to the controls.  It just takes some time and practice.  I personally prefer a controller over mouse and keyboard now, just as some prefer mouse and keyboard and some prefer trackballs.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 07:24:40 PM »

I've heard a lot of people have really good luck if they start with Halo or Halo 2.  The Halo games have some of the best FPS controls on consoles, if not the best, and it's a better jumping off point. 
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 07:56:45 PM »

i asked this identical question when i got my 360 and what helped me was to slow the axis speed down till i got better with aiming.  GoW was my first  fps game on a console along with Rainbow Six and practice helped alot too.  try calibrating the aiming some and turning the speed a bit slower.  that single handedly helped me more than anything.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 08:28:27 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on January 05, 2007, 06:05:13 PM

- shaggy

+1  I play a crap load of FPS.  I have around 110 Hrs of ranked Battlefield 2 and about that in unranked and countless hours in halo, GRAW, Rainbow 6, Gears, CoD 2, and CoD 3

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 08:35:14 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on January 05, 2007, 08:28:27 PM

- shaggy

+1  I play a crap load of FPS.  I have around 110 Hrs of ranked Battlefield 2 and about that in unranked and countless hours in halo, GRAW, Rainbow 6, Gears, CoD 2, and CoD 3
Was playing Halo 2 last night and saw you're level... 27 or something?  NOICE!  ...want to join TML, Calvin & my clan?  DaIrkenInvasion PLAYER!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 08:41:13 PM »

Quote from: depward on January 05, 2007, 08:35:14 PM

- shaggy

Was playing Halo 2 last night and saw you're level... 27 or something?  NOICE!  ...want to join TML, Calvin & my clan?  DaIrkenInvasion PLAYER!

Yeah, I have been as high as a 29 but I haven't played in such a long time that it would take some practice to get back into it, but sure send me
 a clan invite and I would be glad to join

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 02:25:42 AM »

I would also just make sure that you don't play better with the y-axis inverted (or normal if it is inverted).  I've had some friends for which that seemingly simple change made things work a lot better for them. 

Also worth mentioning, in the 360 dashbard you can actually set your profile preferences for three different kinds of games (General, Action, Racing) so it defaults to your preferred control and view method when you start up one of those games.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 05:12:09 AM »

thats funny,because i would like to know how you guys can do FPS on a PC...i play call of duty a lot on PC and the mouse is fine...its the keyboard W-forward,A-left,D-right,CTRL-crouch,SPACE-jump etc...that really cripples my left hand

i suppose the mouse is even more of an advantage(with it being super fast as well),with the crosshair,maybe not even needing to look down the sights...on COD3 on 360,looking down the sights before i shoot,has kinda like become second nature

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 09:09:29 AM »

I doubt this will be helpful, but this is what I do: jack the sensitivity up to the absolute highest. It takes a while to adjust to the sensitivity-10 minutes, an hour, a day, a week-and then you will be very very good at aiming, and I am usually ok at these games.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 06:45:45 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 06, 2007, 05:12:09 AM

thats funny,because i would like to know how you guys can do FPS on a PC...i play call of duty a lot on PC and the mouse is fine...its the keyboard W-forward,A-left,D-right,CTRL-crouch,SPACE-jump etc...that really cripples my left hand

i suppose the mouse is even more of an advantage(with it being super fast as well),with the crosshair,maybe not even needing to look down the sights...on COD3 on 360,looking down the sights before i shoot,has kinda like become second nature

Ring Finger - A (and can move up to hit the Q)
Middle Finger- W (moves down to hit the S)
Index Finger - D (can move all over the damn place)

Thumb- Space Bar

pinky usually on the crouch button.  Usually it's not THAT important for those buttons to be IMMEDIATELY available.  I'm getting much better at aiming.  I just turned the sensitivity all the way down.  I'll move it back up now that I have the sorta-hang of it.  It's jumping between GoW and R6 that gives me a problem.  different ways to enter cover.

Just Hiro will do.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 05:23:43 PM »

It's jumping between GoW and R6 that gives me a problem.  different ways to enter cover.
This is the biggest Problem with FPS on the consoles.
On PC your buttons are almost always the same for each game.

you have know Idea how many times I go to crouch or move to another wall in R6 and end up lobbing a grenade at my feet or even my teammates. There needs to be some standard for console FPS.

depward
WoW!! You must truly be something special?
Not many people learn to run before they can walk. thumbsup

I would suggest for people with out supper powers, like my boy (depward bowdown) to just practice on the default settings, 2-4 hours a night for a couple weeks and it will soon be second nature to you. Because once you change the setting here you have to change it every FPS you get and tweak it just right everytime and it becomes a pain in the ass.
A good game to practice on is battlefield 2, or COD. More of the run and gun, and less time to think of your aiming handicap. Go to a area away from the battle, Pick an object like a tree put the cursor on it and strafe run circle it all that crap while training you thumb and brain coordination. After doing that for a while try it while shooting at the tree. It gets a bit harder when you add gun recoil to the mix. 

This came to me from a competitive gamer years ago. It works Well.
There was also some focus and posture shit but who the hell cares.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 07:32:14 PM by juniordan » Logged

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 07:04:42 PM »

I think depward's advice makes sense, since if the sensitivity is jacked up, it will prevent people from "oversteering", since they can control with smaller movements.

I kept doing that when I started playing GoW last weekend, but I eventually got used to it.  Nothing like a constant stream of firefights to distract you from thinking about using the controller, so you can just use it.  The same thing happened with learning to rollerblade: playing hockey did more to help me learn than just going out and trying to practice.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 07:29:48 PM »

I have GoW and R6 on the way.  I'm dreading the learning curve.  I figure if I really want to experience the 360 to the fullest that I need to adjust and learn to control with a controller.  Maybe SH and I should have a retard battle.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 07:43:41 PM »

I though actually playing both GoW and RS:V at the same time helped me to learn the mechanics and controls easier.  I never played a console shooter either before these and after some practice i really enjoyed it and see it being not far behind the pc in terms of control.  These games both gave me confidence in playing console shooters in the future.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 08:03:47 PM »

Quote from: depward on January 05, 2007, 08:35:14 PM

- shaggy

You guys have a clan?  I'd be more interested in playing Halo 2 again if I knew people who were playing!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 08:16:51 PM »

Ditto. I'm not that good, but I've prompted people to ask whether that was a spider on their head.  icon_biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 08:53:43 PM »

GoW still had the problem consoles always, IMO, are weak about: it takes too long to turn left/right.

I'll play with the sensitivity next time I play, maybe I can jack it up.  Fighting those little flea-dudes was too hard when they get close: it was making me wish I had my trackball.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: