http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 02:15:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Empires: The Age of Kings for DS Screens  (Read 6372 times)
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2006, 03:07:19 PM »

Quote from: "Canuck"
That's what I didnt like about Advance Wars.  The story was so cheesey and Nintendo-esque.  I didn't like all the different abilities for different generals and things like that.  I mean, power ups?  Come on give me a break.

Heh... I felt the exact opposite.  slywink  While I hate a lot of the dialogue, especially Jake's, I really love how the various strengths, weaknesses, and special powers of the generals in Advance Wars lend to very different playstyles.  The variety of units is fantastic in the game, but it's particularly great to see how each commander excels with different strategies based on their abilities.  And I also liked how you have to also take into account not only what powers the enemy CO has, but also when you should use your own and when they will probably use theirs.  Provides for a lot of strategy.

[/sidetrack]

Gratch, did you just say "tech trees"?  I didn't know there were tech trees in this game... oh man, I'm really really starting to get pulled into picking this up the more I hear and read about it!  Those impressions of yours sound great too, TML!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2006, 04:05:27 PM »

Ah crap. So much for my rent-it-first rule I've been trying to follow the last few months. The user feedback for this game continues to impress to the point that I'll have to pick this up while I'm out tonight. Not a word, Farscry. Glass houses and all that jazz slywink

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2006, 04:40:57 PM »

I picked this up yesterday too, and so far I love it.  Superior presentation, a great strategy engine, a great tutorial, and most importantly it really does feel like you're playing the PC version (even though it is turn based).

It's still early, but so far I think I like this better than Advance Wars DS...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2006, 04:54:29 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Gratch, did you just say "tech trees"?  I didn't know there were tech trees in this game... oh man, I'm really really starting to get pulled into picking this up the more I hear and read about it!  Those impressions of yours sound great too, TML!

Yup.  Just like in the PC game, you can research different technologies during the different ages.  Some help economics (i.e.:  Advanced Mining gives 15% higher gold output from mines), some help military (i.e. Scalemail gives 20% higher defense), and there are a few other miscellaneous ones (i.e. Footwear give villagers 1 extra movement).  Once you get a specific amount of gold, food, & tech advancements, you can move to the next age, which allows for additional research and units.  Again, similar to the PC game...which is a very good thing.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2006, 06:06:34 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Yup.  Just like in the PC game, you can research different technologies during the different ages.  Some help economics (i.e.:  Advanced Mining gives 15% higher gold output from mines), some help military (i.e. Scalemail gives 20% higher defense), and there are a few other miscellaneous ones (i.e. Footwear give villagers 1 extra movement).  Once you get a specific amount of gold, food, & tech advancements, you can move to the next age, which allows for additional research and units.  Again, similar to the PC game...which is a very good thing.  smile

Well... crap, now I'm sold too, this last bit just put me over the edge.  I'm also loving the favorable comparisons to Advance Wars and pc strategy games.  I'm not a big fan of RTS games, and wish more of them were turn-based.  I've always wanted to get into the Ages series, but the real-time nature of them kept me away.

And esfoad, I think I'm far, far worse than you about the whole willpower against purchasing thing.   :lol:

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »

Nice impressions TML.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2006, 07:02:06 PM »

Definately Trumps AW, but that's only saying how good both games are.

I've played through 5 of the 6 tutorial missions and I am about an hour into a skirmish mission/map.

Great game, and I've found that use the R-trigger is the best way to get to the next unit, especially in tight quarters. The game is definately well done and I can onlyhope that the future pc to ds conversions, Jagged Alliance etc., fare as well.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2006, 07:30:01 PM »

people beat me to impressions so ill spare them and leave you with one line : go get it, its good!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2006, 07:32:30 PM »

Great impressions, TML.

I hope to pick up a copy later today!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2006, 07:46:32 PM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
people beat me to impressions so ill spare them and leave you with one line : go get it, its good!

No sparing, I want to hear other impressions!  I'm interested in seeing how people feel about this one, in-depth!

And talking about CO powers in AW, well, there's a little bit of that going on in AoK, just not as deterimental to gameplay.  Each civilization you choose has a unique "hero" who has 4 different powers, and each civilization has discounted and high-priced units, along with a different bonus.  So, each civilization could be tailored to a different strategy.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2006, 08:04:41 PM »

One other cool thing not mentioned yet - after each mission you get 'Empire Points' depending on how many primary/secondary objectives were met for a given mission.  There's a 'Bonus Items' store available that lets you use your points to unlock unique units, maps, tilesets, etc. - very cool!  I actually found myself trying to complete all of the tutorial campaign's secondary objectives (some of which are very difficult for a tutorial) just so I could afford to buy some new units.

My only real complaint is the lack of WiFi - this would have been a killer online game!

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2006, 08:05:53 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Each civilization you choose has a unique "hero" who has 4 different powers, and each civilization has discounted and high-priced units, along with a different bonus.  So, each civilization could be tailored to a different strategy.

Oh man, this keeps getting better and better!

Esfoad and I picked ours up over lunch.  slywink  I just gotta finish Mario & Luigi DS and then I'm all over this game!

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2006, 08:08:20 PM »

Is there a skirmish mode? How many players?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2006, 08:23:16 PM »

Yeah, it's called Empire Map and it looks like up to 4 players total.

Planning on playing that today at some point.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2006, 09:12:40 PM »

It's really a pity this wasn't WiFi enabled, but I'll content myself with the local multiplayer nonetheless.  smile

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2006, 09:16:41 PM »

Argh...gotta finish up some current reviews so I can go get this one.  Can't wait!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2006, 09:55:46 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
It's really a pity this wasn't WiFi enabled, but I'll content myself with the local multiplayer nonetheless.  smile

Until I give deliver you your first AoE beating. Which will be, oh, say... when are you coming over again next?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2006, 02:37:52 AM »

hmm corrupt was it you who asked about skirmish? yup they have it, hotseat and ai, plus what i thought was pretty cool - teams! yea you can give yourself ai partners.  and whoever said 4 player was correct
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2006, 04:03:52 AM »

I read that on some skirmish maps you start too close to the AI (and you always start at the same spot) and can kill its worker in a few turns and then game over.  Anyone confirm?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2006, 05:03:26 AM »

I read that as well (on GAF, I believe).  I just got done with a 4-player game with 3 medium opponents and it was a small map and it took about two and a half hours until I stopped.  And I wasn't even done with the game, yet!  I had crushed one civilization and was on the verge of destroying another with the other computer getting ready for my onslaught.

I had run out of room on the map and had no place to build a blacksmith...it's too bad that to advance into the last age I had to research 3 more technologies, but with no area to build a blacksmith, that would be impossible.  Just something to remember in my future skirmishes.

That said, I didn't enjoy the normal skirmish as much as I did the campaign.  I think it was because I really enjoyed the campaign, but we'll see.

TheMissingLink on PSN
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2006, 08:29:03 AM »

yup they have it, hotseat and ai, plus what i thought was pretty cool - teams! yea you can give yourself ai partners. and whoever said 4 player was correct

Damn that comment has got me starting to think about getting a DS again. Teams in skirmish with an AI partner?

I agree it's a shame there's no wifi support though. Still, even though I'm more of a PSP guy ("all-in-one" machine and web browsing) this game has stirred up my interest a little in getting a DS.
Think when the new model comes out I'll end up picking one up again.

Any more comments on AOK? In particular with the AI (since we can't play online anyway) and skirmish games?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2006, 03:15:19 PM »

There are three AI types each with a difficulty level. There's Attila, who's aggresive and rush's in, and Ave, who's balanced, and lastly is Turtle who is slow and methodical and defensive.

I'd have to say that in the two skirmish games I've played that they do live up to their types. It  doesn't look like there's any other Ai personalities to unlock but along with the maps are a bunch of extra units that you can buy.

Definately a good start to 06 for the DS, and hopefully the DS RPG crush later this year will rival the PS2.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2006, 08:33:21 AM »

I'd have to say that in the two skirmish games I've played that they do live up to their types. It doesn't look like there's any other Ai personalities to unlock but along with the maps are a bunch of extra units that you can buy.

Come on now.. you can't just leave us hanging with that! How about going more in depth or even better, giving us a review?
Who ended up winning in skirmish anyway, you or the AI?

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2006, 02:08:20 PM »

Sorry, I'm just not the best at writing expanded impressions.

Pretty much I chose a Castles specific map, one with a lot of mountains which is great for building defensive structures. Within 4 rounds Attila was peeking around the corner trying to come into my area. Oddly enough he wasn't the first to attack, it was the Ave AI. I took a grab everything while I could approach and was spreading myself kind of thin, and having a few skirmishes with Ave and Attila, However, the Turtle Ai wouldn't attack unless I cam within a few squares of their Towncenter, I even took some resources close by and held them for a good 6 or 7 rounds before they finally came out and blew me up.

I'd say Turtle was the most difficult AI, granted I set him on hard, but by the time I came down to deal with him he had aged up a couple of times and had advanced units. Attila never posed a threat, he was set to easy, and Ave and I were evenly matched because he was set to medium. So it was good to see an actual balance. In the end I got whooped because I couldn't make enough units to overwhelm Turtle, who had the most resources around him and I was being harassed by the other two AI. I just need to go back and rework my strategy.

I checked out some of the other maps and they seem to very well balanced and well thought out. I just finished the tutorial campaing which really does give a good feel for the overal gameplay, and this game is very deep. The last two missions were so varied from one another it was pretty refreshing for a TB standpoint, especially versus something like AW where every mission is blow the other guy up without any variation other than the officers.

ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2006, 07:38:28 PM »

I've been reading about various game stopping glitches dealing with frozen screens and corrupted save games on the Gamepot boards.  At least once person reported a "black screen of death" on two different copies of the game on 2 different systems.  I'm new to handheld gaming and thought the main advantage of consoles was avoiding shit like this.  Anyone experience this?  It has me worried since I ordered a copy online and it's too late to cancel.  I guess they can't patch a console game, can they?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2006, 07:42:22 PM »

I've read those issues as well, and I have had zero problems with my copy after completing the first 6 missions (a whole campaign), part of the second campaign and a skirmish game.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2006, 08:14:21 PM »

Quote from: "ioticus"
I've been reading about various game stopping glitches dealing with frozen screens and corrupted save games on the Gamepot boards.  At least once person reported a "black screen of death" on two different copies of the game on 2 different systems.  I'm new to handheld gaming and thought the main advantage of consoles was avoiding shit like this.  Anyone experience this?  It has me worried since I ordered a copy online and it's too late to cancel.  I guess they can't patch a console game, can they?

Lord help us, the anti-plants are being deployed!

Anti-plant!  Anti-plant!  biggrin

In all seriousness though, that's some rather disturbing stuff.  This should be pretty uncommon in console games, especially handhelds.  The last console game I remember this kind of stuff happening in with any frequency was actually Final Fantasy VI when it originally released on the SNES.  There were several (now well-documented) freeze bugs in the game, and I think I encountered ALL of them.  biggrin

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2006, 08:43:55 PM »

While I really want to pick this game up, the reports of bricked game cards scares me quite a bit. I may wait until there is a second printing of the game....

PSN ID: EduardoX
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2006, 08:58:08 PM »

What does the "anti-plant" reference mean?
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2006, 09:37:13 PM »

Quote from: "ioticus"
What does the "anti-plant" reference mean?

Ah, I was mainly just kidding around.  Penny Arcade wrote up recently about how there are apparently these companies that consist of people who make online identities in message boards and such for the sole purpose of establishing themselves as reputable community members, and then they use that reputation to shill for games.  Sort of a more underhanded method of advertising.

By being an anti-plant, I imagine it would be someone who was being paid to drum up sentiment against a game.  slywink

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2006, 09:59:58 PM »

Hey I got hit with one of those FF3/6 bugs, but it was awesome, it gave me things like 99 atma weapons, 99 aegis shields, and all kinds of cool stuff. I should've kept that cartridge and save game. Man that was awesome...

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2006, 10:06:19 AM »

Just finished up the second-to-last mission for the Japanese campaign.  Wowzer, these missions can end up lasting a loooooong time.  I think the last one took me around 35-40 turns, which probably took 2 hours.  

I don't know about this one, I don't particularily love this game, but whenever I play it, I get entirely wrapped-up in playing it.  So it's addictive.  That said, the flaws are definitely beginning to rear their ugly (or, rather, cluttered) heads...

- Cluttered units when they're all bunched up.  ESPECIALLY when lots of units are wounded.  If a unit has been hurt and is less than 100 health, they'll have a lifebar above them which makes the cluttered issue even worse because you see a million little lifebars and it's confusing as hell to figure out what's going on, some of the time.  They could have outlined it with a different color, made the border a bit different.

- Hero units can be exploited fairly easily.  I think the *idea* of a hero unit is great, it definitely adds something to the game.  But if you get three ribbons for a hero, man, they are nearly unstoppable.  For the last mission I played, I ended up having a war with two different factions on two different fronts.  I plugged my hero unit onto a bridge and lined up archers behind him - he acted like a "tank" for these archers, every turn he'd just heal (one of his specials) or I'd bring in a monk to heal.  Thing is, he could take a beating from opponents on EVERY SIDE and end up being okay.

- Farms and mines give waaaaaaaaay too much resources.  Sometimes, I have so much money, even if I research a tech, purchase units till the unit cap, build farms/buildings whatever, I'll have an incredible amount of money left.  

Just nitpicks, I guess.  I'm not sure I like how different units come out of different buildings; it sort of creates awkward situations when trying to siege towns, but that's okay, just a part of the system I guess.  

Game has remained stable for me - none of those major bugs I have been hearing about.  Twice, the "gallop" SFX from a calvary charge has continued after a battle, but it goes away once I partake in another battle, so that's no biggie whatsoever.

The turn-based game I've most enjoyed playing on a handheld was Fire Emblem, and I think it was because of the sheer simplicity of its system.  At times, AoE:AoK sort of gets bogged down with entirely too many units in a small space, and the city building is quite limited, but it's still addictive as hell and it's nice to play a turn-based game like this and come across new objectives in every mission.  

^that was a novel and lots of rambling, I apologize!

TheMissingLink on PSN
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2006, 06:59:19 PM »

Great impressions, TML! thumbsup

You say these battles can take a long time.  Can I save whenever I want?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2006, 07:15:49 PM »

You sure can!

2 hours, the last one took me 2 hours and it went from me thinking I was on the verge of defeat to pushing through another flank!  Pretty cool!

TheMissingLink on PSN
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2006, 01:07:07 AM »

Plus, the hibernation mode works as well. Just close your DS to preserve power and you don't even need to go through the process of loading. You might want to plug it in, just in case it runs out of juice though.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: