http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 02:44:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Empires: The Age of Kings for DS Screens  (Read 6385 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »

Apparently some French site has acquired screens of Age of Empires: The Age of Kings for the DS.  Link here.

I have to say it looks pretty sweet.  I'm both excited and hesitant about the series transition to turn-based strategy instead of real-time.  I never really played much of the RTS version and I do love some good turn-based gaming.

And apparently, if the Babelfish translation is to be believed, it will allow for wi-fi multiplayer!  w00t!

It apparently releases on Europe in March.  Anyone know of a US release date?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »

Current date as far as we can get is 1/30/06.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. biggrin
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 02:45:34 PM »

It's supposed to have 4 player wifi matches. The latest issue of Game Informer had some information on it, doesn't look that bad at all considering the DS's limitations.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 03:08:54 PM »

TBS?!  Well, in that case, I'm in!  smile  I'm not so hot on RTS games, I tend to suck at those.  slywink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 04:34:41 PM »

AOE nothing, that looks like Civ!

[Oh, forgot to say, IN!]
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 02:14:51 AM »

Yeah I was gonna say, that looks more like Age of Civilization, and the screens look a lot better than the initial shots. If it indeed plays over Wi-fi network, I will be IN.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 04:34:28 AM »

So in, it HURTS.

Thank you for the wi-fi - let's hope for 4-player!  Imagine that...that would rock.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 10:59:35 PM »

wow. Maybe I need a DS after all.

See my list of games I have and want.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 09:37:42 PM »

IGN put up a pretty nice preview:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/686/686636p1.html

It details all the units, buildings, etc.  They say a full review will be posted Friday.  8.6, anyone?

EGM gave it a 9.0, 8.5, 7.5.

So it's looking pretty good!  No wi-fi, which irritates me big time, but whatever.  I'm really looking forward to playing a deep strategy game on my DS!  And it comes out Valentine's Day!  Age of Empires: Age of Kings will you be my Valentine?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 10:38:38 PM »

I can't imagine a PBEM kind of set up couldn't be done well. I mean how hard could it be to get a TBS working over the internet?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 05:33:27 AM »

IGN review is up!  

http://ds.ign.com/articles/687/687988p1.html

8.2 and to be honest, the review reads like it should have gotten higher.  It sounds fantastic.  This line makes me so incredibly happy:

There is no portable strategy game that does a better job of forcing strong economy, solid town design, and serious tactics: An unparalleled achievement.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »

I was waffling between AoE DS and Grandia III, but I think AoE just won out.  This looks entirely too cool.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 05:01:02 PM »

I've got a gift certificate from christmas I've been saving, and I'm going to blow it on this game.  Looks great and sounds promising.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 05:03:56 PM »

I am on this, and I will probably get Grandia III also... This will keep the ole DS busy for a few weeks.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 07:49:51 PM »

Woohoo tomorrow shipdate!  I'm in need of a TBS for the DS.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 08:16:08 PM »

I am pretty pumped up about this sucker as well.

Wish we could be talking about playing it over wi-fi, buuuuuuuuut oh well.

TheMissingLink on PSN
siege

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 07:30:43 AM »

Gamespot's review is up now.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/strategy/ageofempiresiiageofkings/review.html?sid=6144202

The Good: Engaging turn-based strategy effectively translated from the classic PC series; five compelling campaigns pack in many hours of gameplay; dozens of different unit types and unique technologies to research; great presentation features lively battle sequences and good music.
The Bad: Gameplay's pace can get sluggish in larger battles; visuals sometimes get too cluttered.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 05:42:59 PM »

Anybody pick this up yet?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"
Anybody pick this up yet?

+1
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 05:59:36 PM »

I'm going to see if I can find a copy tonight.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 06:03:28 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Apparently some French site has acquired screens of Age of Empires: The Age of Kings for the DS

I often wonder how French sites always have access to these kind of things before any other sites in the world. They got guys in the inside!

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 07:52:59 PM »

I'm hoping to pick mine up tonight as well.  Oddly, I didn't receive a call last night from 'Aeris at Gamestop' confirming that my pre-order was arriving.  Did it get delayed or something?

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 09:08:53 PM »

hey i went hunting for it too - and gratch i dont think it was delayed, but of the 3 or 4 gamestops nearby, one got it and the rest didnt get it / are hoping to have it fedex-ed.  check again tomorrow...
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2006, 12:23:53 AM »

My GameStop didn't get it either...then billed my brother twice for Grandia 3 (stupid fuckers), but that's a different story for a different thread.

Tomorrow!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006, 12:37:28 AM »

Well, no luck for today.  They're hoping to get it in tomorrow, but no promises.

BTW, it got good reviews from both the GI and EGM mags that showed up today.

motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2006, 03:26:52 AM »

No luck in the Chicago area as well frown  Now I crave it more.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2006, 04:46:30 AM »

Looked for it on the way to the airport today and neither Gamestop got it in. *shrug*  Maybe next time.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
warning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2006, 05:16:17 AM »

Neither my Gamestop nor Wally World has it.

Suck.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2006, 05:24:44 AM »

EBGames.com says it ships within 24 hours...Amazon says it'll ship Feb. 28th.  And I didn't get my call from GameStop (preordered it).  So I am officially worried.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2006, 12:17:45 PM »

The EBgames guy said it would be in today, took an extra day to ship to stores. I don't think they expected anyone to buy it, but there were 3 of us in Gamestop at the same time looking for it... which was strange

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2006, 01:40:59 PM »

Got my call from Gamestop last night, so I'll get it this afternoon.  Won't have too much time to play (soccer game tonight), but I'll get a few impressions up.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2006, 08:30:39 PM »

my gamestops got it! on the way in a couple (hittin up beach first such a nice day!)  if i can pull myself away / avoid urge to study for test tomorrow ill post some impressions later!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2006, 09:01:08 PM »

Still haven't gotten a call, but the fucktards at GameStop rarely call me, so I guess I'll head down there soon.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2006, 10:32:54 PM »

HEY! that's my word TML! I sweat no one I know says f-tard, it's such an awesome word...

I want to get it for tomorrow, I will be getting fusion treatment for my Chron's and will be sitting around with a needle in my arm for 5 hours, so I think I could use this a lot!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2006, 11:57:41 PM »

Judging from the thickness/detail of the instruction booklet, it may take you 5 hours to read through it all biggrin

Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it's an impressive booklet and I can't wait to start playing...which I will be right abouuuuuuuut NOW!

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2006, 01:21:22 AM »

My local Best Buy had at least 20 copies on the shelf today ...........unfortunately I put $20 down at EB, which has yet to recieve it. I had to buy something so I bought Animal Crossing DS.  I'm about to play it now.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2006, 01:36:30 AM »

I just picked it up and can't wait to dive into it tomorrow... I have the power of restraint...

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2006, 10:24:28 AM »

Well, I really got into this one, plugged something like 4-5 hours into it and finally completed the (long) tutorial campaign.  Time just zaps by when you're playing this sucker...

The tutorial takes you through a campaign featuring Joan of Arc.  I've always really enjoyed her story, so I enjoyed the 6 missions that made up the campaign.  And if these missions offer any indication, the mission-variance will hold some really nice surprises in the later campaigns.  While they were based on teaching you the game, the last three or so missions really took awhile, and to be honest, the last two were sort of hard (especially the 5th).  And the cool part were that they were fun objectives, including a really great 6th mission that seemed to work out just perfectly.

Something I really like is the points you get for completing each mission that you can use to unlock units/maps for the scenario play.  I mean, yeah, unlocking maps is sort of like, eeeeeh, but there's incentive to try to go for those bonus quests during each mission.  I 3-starred (highest ranking) on 4 of the 6 missions, 2-starring on the other 2.

Everything seems to play out pretty tactically so far, and it employs your prescribed rock-paper-scissors sort of tactics when it comes to facing off against your enemies - certain units have certain bonuses.  Don't even try to take on a group of pikeman with calvary unless you want a real quick, embarassing defeat.  And I liked the "hero" unit (only had a chance to play around with Joan so far, wow, that sounded dirty), which has certain powers no other unit can offer, as you could expect.

So, I am really enjoying the game, and even finding myself enjoying the art-style, which I was sort of turned-off by from screenies I had seen.  It does look a bit better in motion and I really have no complaints about how it looks or sounds.  As a plus, their library mode has an absolute ton of information in it, which is pretty cool.

There are some things I really don't like about AoEtAoK.  Firstly, units can really become sort of a mess when next to each other.  It's hard for me to really see what the hell's going on at first glance with units blending into other units...I mean, I can figure out what's going on, but it looks a little cluttered.  And it's pretty hard to use the stylus in this situation, as well.  In fact, as much as I wanted to play this game using just the stylus, I ended up using just the directional pad for the last couple of missions and the stylus to deal with the "stylus hud" options, which worked out quite well.

So at this point, I'm pretty impressed with Age of Empires.  It's a rock-solid title that should (based on how I feel now) keep me enthralled for another 4 chapters (which get increasingly hard).  I haven't even tried out the scenario play, but I'm sure I'll be giving that a whirl in the future.  

And to be honest, at this point, I prefer this game over Advance Wars for a strategy fix on the DS.  While I appreciate AW's formula, AoE just feels way more confident of itself.  And I really enjoy the historical aspect of it, as well; I feel like I'm learning something rather than dealing with some bratty teenage kids who somehow found themselves in charge of military squads and love talking hip.  

Lots of random blah-blah-blah, but I guess to sum it up, AoE really, really impresses me and while it doesn't offer anything earth-shattering or genre-defining, it takes what it does and does it really, really well.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2006, 12:48:41 PM »

That's what I didnt like about Advance Wars.  The story was so cheesey and Nintendo-esque.  I didn't like all the different abilities for different generals and things like that.  I mean, power ups?  Come on give me a break.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2006, 01:56:50 PM »

After 3 of the tutuorial missions, I'll pretty much echo TML sentiments.  This is a solid title that is going to be a lot of fun.  I love how they've kept the original AoE feel by using the PC game music and sound effects.  Very nice touch.  

I should get a few hours to put into it tonight, so I'll be albe to better discuss strengths & weakneeses.  Initial impression:  AoE is essentially Fire Emblem with resources & tech trees.  If you enjoyed FE at all, I think you'll have a blast with AoE.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: