http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 11:19:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Empires III patch 1.05- The Return of Attack-Move  (Read 2483 times)
SuperHiro
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2006, 10:43:43 PM »

Hooray!

Yeah, patch sounds good.  It's gotta pretty hefty set of fixes and new features.  Nothing that pushes AoEIII from average to AWESOME, but some good and encouraging steps.  I'll be checking this out at some point.

Just Hiro will do.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »

It'd push it to playable.  The removal of attack-move was fatal to this game for me.  What?  March blindly towards the enemy and not fire?  Uh..nothanks.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 11:09:15 PM »

I don't have the game, nor will I ever buy it.  I have played the demo and found it really lacking.

Just what were they thinking with this game?

More importantly, what were they smoking when they removed the attack-move feature?  Were they deliberately trying to push away players?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 11:14:03 PM »

sweet, now i might bet back to it.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 12:16:21 AM »

My problem with the game is that it's so close to being awesome, but it pulls back from the brink of said awesomeness.

Gameplay wise, my biggest complaints are:

- Lack of some sort of squad interface or some way to more easily control large armies.  I have all these beautiful marching formations that fall apart when fighting.  IIRC, they originally had "locked" formations, but they abandoned it for more tried-and-true methods.  I wish they'd put that back in at least as an option.

- Peasant micro pushing at this point is pretty close to unacceptable.  I realize that it's a big part of the AoE series... but god damn it's annoying.

What's so frustrating?  Despite these two complaints (which are pretty big in my mind), I still like the game.  The Home City thing just hits that spot just right.  I love the online ESO thing.  Wonderful.  Home City, Home City, Home City.  It's great.  But sometimes it feels like the game goes "hey! we added the home city.  we filled the innovation quota for today."

Now, I'm not jacking off in the bathroom of innovation, but it would have been nice to have some sort of the micro taken away.

Just Hiro will do.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 01:18:52 AM »

In a way I'm kinda glad they basically splooged this game.  After a string of stellar releases it looks like they got a bit complacent.  Perhaps it'll make their next game better.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 02:18:20 AM »

I'm sure their next game is coming along just fine. I borrowed it from a friend of mine but I haven't risen to the challenge of trying it out yet.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 12:20:48 PM »

Happy to see they're officially supporting attack-move now. Gotta admit their lack of support for attack-move was what kept me from playing AOE3 much at all, but now I think I'll get back into it again.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 12:40:49 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"

- Peasant micro pushing at this point is pretty close to unacceptable.  I realize that it's a big part of the AoE series... but god damn it's annoying.

Agreed.  I have about had it with peon pushing when it comes to this genre.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 04:41:02 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Quote from: "SuperHiro"

Agreed.  I have about had it with peon pushing when it comes to this genre.

Agreed +8.

I still have AoE III waiting to be played but, yeesh, maybe I've grown impatient with RTS' but I don't feel like keeping track of all those peasants anymore.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 06:46:57 PM »

Is it time to start multi with this Hiro?
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 07:35:21 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Is it time to start multi with this Hiro?

Perhaps.  I'll try to squeeze some games in.

Just Hiro will do.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 08:01:19 AM »

I've been getting in a few mp games with some fellow BCers.  It's really fun.  The peasant micro isn't THAT bad, and I wish some things were better documented (like formations and stuff).  But I like it a whole lot.  It takes a while to get in the swing of things (esspecially for a seasoned DoW player like myself).  But when in doubt, make more peasants and build houses.  It's pretty fun.  

Add SuperHiro to your ESO friends list if you have one, and we'll get it on.  I'm not an expert by any means but I have a level 6 Portuguese city.  At level 10 they get to recruit Samurai mercenaries.  SAMURAI.  WOOOOOOOO!

Just Hiro will do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: