http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 10:23:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Empires III demo out  (Read 1844 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2005, 02:35:49 AM »

Go grab it at your favorite dload sites! Grabbin mine from FileFront

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 03:20:17 AM »

AgeofEmpires3.com has a decent server.  I was pulling 750kbs/s off it and downloaded it in under 10 minutes.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 03:57:16 AM »

could the GUI take up any more room on the screen?

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 04:40:16 AM »

Downloading at 176kbps, 17 minutes remain. LETS GO!!!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 04:45:40 AM »

Quote from: "Yossarian"
could the GUI take up any more room on the screen?

Yikes that is freaking huge!  What's up with that?

And no tutorial?  Throw me in the middle of some story and expect me to start playing?  Yeesh.

Hope they do better on the retail product.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 04:47:42 AM »

Have'nt had any bug related problems But I dont know what im doing hehe. On easy I was getting beat so I quit for now. Seems theres no need to build storage buildings now. Just mine or lumber without them.

I had about 12 muskets and 4 cannons once...2 of each type cannon and I still lost that army plus 2 guard towers to 5 guys on horses with swords and some musketeers. Felt that was lame.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 12:12:26 PM »

Make sure you go into options and enable several interface items that are essential but default to off for some crazy reason.  For instance, you can have it display the # of villagers you have at each resource type.

AoE3 seems ok so far, but I'm finding myself spoiled by the Rise of Nations interface.  I miss the RoN tech tree, I miss seeing at a glance how fast my resources are gaining, and I miss having my explorer auto-explore for me.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 03:28:07 PM »

Yeah, I don't like how much room the GUI takes up...I think they could shrink it down a bit.  Outside of that though I have to say the graphics are not as drop dead gorgeous as all the magazine previews were making it out to be.  Now, that could be because I haven't come by any water or environmental things yet, but who knows.

Like the game though, but not having a tutorial is probably not a good idea for the demo...it just kind of thrusts you into the situation.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 01:46:45 AM »

I really prefer the old 2D sprites based RTS way more than the 3D engine stuff that's coming out now.

I find that having to control the camera a little bit awkward sometimes, and I can never get the camera angle just right.

I'll give this a try and see what all the fuss it about anyways.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 02:18:34 AM »

I played it for about an hour last night and I have some impressions, but I want to give the campaign a whirl before I really give my impressions-I am not sure I would be fair to it at this point-early impressions are not favorable.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 02:50:57 AM »

I'm going to refrain from passing judgement on it, but I won't be playing it any more personally. I've never really enjoyed the AoE series, 1 was the best of them, but fell short compared to other games.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 03:02:46 AM »

A couple not so intuitive essentials:

[*]To repair a building, you don't use villagers.  There's a little hammer icon button in the bottom right when you select the building--and you can't repair while it's under attack.
    [*]To build a gate in a wall, build the wall first and then click on the section you want to turn into a gate.  It only costs 50 wood or something, and happens instantly.  This seems like this would be fruity in multiplayer, you could be walking by some enemy troops stuck behind their wall, and have it magically and instantly turn into a gate for them to come through at you.[/list]

I'm having a good bit of fun with skirmish mode, but it's just so frustrating how just about every RTS insists on forgetting several innovations of previous RTSs.

Why can't I choose which way my troop formation faces?  Why can't I modify troop behavior to specify buildings or troops as targets?  When I have a group of medics selected and use their heal spell, why do they all use it at once, when just one is enough to heal people to full?  Why can't I assign more than one group number to a unit?  Why can't I tell my farm to keep producing sheep infinitely instead of having to keep babysitting its output?

Am I crazy for thinking most of these things should be standard features by now?
    Orgull

View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 02:49:52 PM »

Every time a new "Age" game comes out, I wonder why they don't include some of the terrific features that came with good old Total Annihilation... like order cues for units and auto-producing resource buildings. Silly, if you ask me.

warning

View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 03:01:45 PM »

The thing that bothers me about RTS games is I often feel I'm fighting against the game's interface to make things happen.  I guess that's why I liked Rise of Nations so much and am so excited for Rise of Legends.

It should be mandatory for all new RTS's to learn from the ones that have gone before and retain what was useful about their interface.
    Daehawk

View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 05:46:51 PM »

Same with MMOs. UO had much more stuff than anything since.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 06:47:15 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
    The thing that bothers me about RTS games is I often feel I'm fighting against the game's interface to make things happen.  I guess that's why I liked Rise of Nations so much and am so excited for Rise of Legends.

It should be mandatory for all new RTS's to learn from the ones that have gone before and retain what was useful about their interface.

My continued experience with AOE3 demo indicates to me that if anything, AOE3's interface is a giant, complicated, bloated step in the wrong direction.
    Pages: [1]   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to: