http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 07:04:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Empires DS turn based  (Read 1972 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2005, 04:39:50 AM »

Acording to IGN (the link isn't working now, sorry).  

The screenshots (I can give you that link: http://media.ds.ign.com/media/736/736742/imgs_1.html) make it look more like Heroes of Might and Magic, which was a great game, even in its GB version, but I thought the whole point was to work RTS into the one handheld that could do it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 05:11:36 AM »

DS is junk in my mind. I think the PSP could do a good strategy game. Id like to see x-Com on it smile...and yeah I know about Rebel whatever.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 06:41:07 PM »

Thank you for that insightful post, backed up by releveant facts backing up your opinion and reasons why the PSP would be a superior platform for a RTS game.

I weep for this board sometimes...

Edit:
Oh yeah, and I'm suprised/disappointed at the direction they are taking with this title.  It should be as simple as making a port of the PC version that adds stylus control/wireless multiplayer and shipping it....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 07:59:04 PM »

He said strategy title, not specifically a RTS(see the wish about an X-com game).

When I first herd about AOE for the DS I thought this could be something to get me interested and then I read its a TB game? Whats the point of the AOE name if its a TB title? Ohh yea lame marketing bullshit to mislead people...
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 08:27:34 PM »

I don't weep for any board and the DS is junk in my mind as well.

Wake up.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 09:45:26 PM »

The DS may be junk, but the touch screen is definitely more suited for strategy games than PSP's controls.  Still, Nintendo has lost my gaming dollar because of their lackluster 3rd party support and apathy towards new market challenges.  Good hardware + lack of software = crap system.

Here's a thought, is is possible for PSP to develop a "light pen" device that uses similar technology as light guns?  That is, when you touch the screen with this pen, the screen will flash briefly and a light sensor in the pen will detect where on the screen it is pointing.  It could plug in and be powered by the PSP's USB port.

Or, simpler yet, hook up a USB keyboard or mouse to it.  (but then it wouldn't be portable).
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 11:01:33 PM »

Here's that article link, by the way. http://ds.ign.com/articles/613/613265p1.html

Dimmona, I understand your weeping.  The good ol' days of GG are gone...

See, gang, there used to be a community where you would rarely see someone's response to an open discussion be, "What you're talking about sucks.  The thing that I like is better" with no real discussion about why or evidence to back up the comment.  

When something that good dies, you get a little sad.  So, weeping?  Totally justified.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 11:20:25 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
This isn't Gone Gold (thankfully).  CG is not intended as a GG replacement.  CG is it's own site.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 11:25:24 PM »

See, gang, there used to be a community where you would rarely see someone's response to an open discussion be, "What you're talking about sucks.  The thing that I like is better" with no real discussion about why or evidence to back up the comment.  

IIRC, Daehawk was quite an active member of Gone Gold.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 11:45:54 PM »

Sorry Ill try to add more. I find it like many other games Ive seen over the years. They use the name to draw in buyers when the game is really not anything like the title the name draws off of. But even if it was the exact game I dont think the DS with its 2 tiny screens could do the game justice.

I dont own a PSP so im not fanboy but I think with its larger screen and thumb button it would do a better job on a rts or strategy title such as AOE.

And I mentioned X-Com wish for the PSP because that genre is sorely lacking on handhelds. I mainly dont own a console because all they seem to be are racing, fighting, card game machines. I'd like to see that change. If the DS can get Rebel whatever then we should be able to do a X-Com or AOE right.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 11:59:46 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
This isn't Gone Gold (thankfully).  CG is not intended as a GG replacement.  CG is it's own site.

GG/CG/whatever - I just want my rational discussion back.  The thing that first attracted me to the GG console boards in the old days was that unlike the 'omg Sony r0x0rs Xbox is huge elolo' message boards everywhere else, here was a board where I left like I was actually conversing with adults.  Rather than saying something like 'DS is shit, it would be so much better on the PSP' you were more likely to see something like "I don't think that the DS is as well suited for this game as the PSP is, because of reason X/Y/Z/ etc."  My biggest fear is that with the next generation consoles upon us soon, the board will devolve into what it became during the last console launch....

Daehawk's last message is exactly the sort of stuff I miss - something that will actually get people thinking about what he's saying and get some good discussion out of it....  Just my crabby rant for the day smile

At any rate, I think the initial reason why AOE on the DS sounded cool was due to control possibilities.  Being able to select units, give orders, navigate menus - something that is extremely cumbersome in current console based RTS games - would be a breeze.  Also, having a map + status info contained on one screen and nothing but the game window on another would eliminate another big peev of mine for RTS games.   The ability to have voice in multiplayer would be cool too....

An RTS game would probably work pretty well on the PSP too - the thumb stick would give you semi-mouse-like control, and the increased resolution would hopefully help with the real estate problems.  As long as its a fixed viewpoint (so you won't have to worry about camera problems), I would love to see a game like the original AOE on the PSP too.  I still think the DS is better suited due to control issues, which are usually my biggest concerns in a RTS.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 01:42:56 AM »

Well I turned into a troll upon transitioning to CG. How can that be bad?!

*goes under his bridge*

Okay, on topic... I think making it turn-based is a good idea. I mean, real-time strategy on a handheld? I don't know about you, but that would give me headaches, trying to rush from unit to unit issuing commands as fast as I can and defending my base and invading their base at the same time could be overwhelming on a handheld. With turn-based you can issue commands, and take a break from time to time.

And I think the DS is better-suited for strategy games of this sort - a D-Pad (or stick) couldn't compete with a touchscreen (or a mouse for that matter).
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 02:31:42 AM »

Id like to ad that one of my favorite games on the Genesis 15 years ago is considered a RTS...Herzog Zwei. So I know it can be done even with a simple controller.Id post a link but most I could find have downloadable roms.

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2005, 03:15:39 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

While this is certainly true, we staff would like to think that CG is keeping some of that Gone Gold spirit alive.

That said, I hope they keep the competition tight on this next wave- as gamers that can be nothing but good for us  Cool

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2005, 03:54:22 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Id like to ad that one of my favorite games on the Genesis 15 years ago is considered a RTS.... So I know it can be done even with a simple controller.Id post a link but most I could find have downloadable roms.

Whoa, you remember that game? My first RTS... I didn't get it back then, so I thought it sucked. I was about 8 then though. biggrin

It certainly can be done, but on a handheld, where you hold the screen up to your face, squinting at the tiny screen, trying to see even more tiny units, and even more tiny text? And trying to do it fast? Get where I'm getting at? Maybe you have stellar eyesight and don't care, but some of us don't. slywink
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005, 04:54:00 AM »

The touch screen is perfect for it! The PSP would work, but not as well. The touch screen would be just perfect. I hope the DS gets more games, as I want nintendo to have something till their next system comes out.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2005, 07:30:05 AM »

Back on topic, I've got to say that the Age of Empires for the DS turning out to be turn-based is a major letdown for me.  I was forseeing a great RTS with stylus control, one screen dedicated to the map, one to the unit options or whatnot, but hearing it's basically Age of Advanced Wars is pretty disappointing.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2005, 07:19:43 PM »

Thanks, Daehawk.  I didn't mean to come down on you in particular.  Just riding on the old man coat tails of Dimmona's rant "You kids don't know how good it was in the Gone Golden old days...".

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 10:40:02 PM »

Just riding on the old man coat tails of Dimmona's rant "You kids don't know how good it was in the Gone Golden old days...".

Heh, for what it's worth - I have never, *ever* visited the front page of Gone Gold.  I got referred straight to the console forums, and permanently parked it there smile  Does that make me a bad person?

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: