http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 03:06:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age of Empires 3  (Read 3493 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2004, 06:51:17 AM »

According to AOM Heaven, the new PC Gamer has a preview for the soon-to-be-announced Age of Empires 3.  As rumors suggested, it will be set in the "Age of Discovery".  Also, the blurb mentions that it will have a single-player campaign.  I know some people like the RoN "World Conquest" campaign style, but I much prefer the preset scenarios method, so this is good news for me slywink

The Ensemble Studios website countdown is almost done, so we should have details there either tomorrow or Saturday.  I just hope the big reveal is not a black screen that says "Buy PC Gamer" slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 07:18:35 PM »

Planet AOM has some more details, including the fact that the game will use the Havok physics engine.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 03:40:10 AM »

Does a RTS really need a realistic physics system?
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 08:22:03 PM »

I don't see how it can hurt.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 11:21:38 PM »

Quote from: "jonsauce"

I don't see how it can hurt.

I don't see how it helps.
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 11:27:31 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"

I imagine the physics system will come in handy when calculating the physics details of bodies being flung from explosions and crumpling upon death, among many other things.  Necessary?  No.  Pretty?  Yes.  Fun?  I bet it probably will be.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
Zitterbacke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 01:05:49 AM »

Yeah! Bring back the FUN into games!

BF2: BanthaPooDoh
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 02:42:25 AM »

Physics is the lens flare of the new millenium.
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 05:13:18 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Physics is the lens flare of the new millenium.

So what?  If it adds to the game, then put it in.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 06:26:58 AM »

I remember the old Myth games got some attention from their use of physics.

dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 06:22:31 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I remember the old Myth games got some attention from their use of physics.

And rightfully so.  I haven't seen a battlefield so satisfyingly strewn with body parts since Myth 2 came out in 98.  Myth and Myth 2...talk about true classics.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 12:26:21 AM »

IGN has a preview/interview about the game, including a few very nice-looking screenshots.  The third screenshot looks amazing.  With regard to the physics engine, this sounds interesting -
"We have cannon shots that can literally throw infantry off the ground, and perhaps off a cliff, and down into the water...Don't be surprised if a collapsing tower squashes the villager working in the nearby fields." smile

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 07:15:22 AM »

Those graphics are just....wow. :wink:

Ye Olde Farte
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 04:59:50 PM »

Wow, those graphics are just awesome. I like the idea of the physics and the falling objects hurting people. This raises the question: with all this stuff going on in the game, what kind of computer will I need to run this game? Will I have to buy a new one just to play?

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 08:30:47 PM »

Quote from: "dandylife"

I imagine the physics system will come in handy when calculating the physics details of bodies being flung from explosions and crumpling upon death, among many other things.  Necessary?  No.  Pretty?  Yes.  Fun?  I bet it probably will be.

I guess but I don't see why thats needed in a RTS. Was anybody complaing about bodies being blown up unrealistically  before. I mean when stuff goes up in Warhammer 40K it looks cool to me and I'm not thinking are these guys flying the proper distance?

Just don't see the need for this in a RTS when you have dozens or more units on the screen at the same time shooting and blowing things up all over. There's so much action going on and at a smaller size on screen than say a FPS that I doubt anybody will even much notice. Seems like unnecassary overhead to me.
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2005, 09:15:53 PM »

You can maybe have canonballs getting stuck in castles or flying through towers or something. Or have arrows get stuck in various body parts etc. It's probably mostly eye candy except for the odd mission where they put in some scripted physics gimmick that lets you win the map or take out the enemy defenses with a single well-placed shot. Tongue
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2005, 10:23:15 PM »

I guess but I don't see why thats needed in a RTS. Was anybody complaing about bodies being blown up unrealistically  before. I mean when stuff goes up in Warhammer 40K it looks cool to me and I'm not thinking are these guys flying the proper distance?

Quote from: "dandylife"

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2005, 10:26:33 PM »

Worthplaying has some new screenshots.  :shock:

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2005, 10:32:14 PM »

Holy mother of...

The screenshot of a very large city in the worthplaying set is AMAZING.

I'm forced to wonder if this game's going to make my 3.0ghz machine beg and cry for it's mommy.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2005, 10:42:23 PM »

I dunno.  Until Silent Storm, nobody thought turn-based squad combat games needed physics.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2005, 10:58:50 PM »

"I'm forced to wonder if this game's going to make my 3.0ghz machine beg and cry for it's mommy."
As good as the graphics are, I'd be surprised if they didn't allow a large range of customization.  The Age series has mass market appeal and sales, so I'm sure they want to have a large enough market that is able to play it, while still wowing people with the graphics.

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2005, 12:11:24 AM »

Man, I just don't get you guys sometimes.

I want to play the aforementioned Myth against some of you.   Since you seem to not understand the concept, your archers can have the valleys, and I will get the high ground.   :wink:

You'll learn why physics is important.

[Probably My best gaming moment of all time:  A lone dwarf is standing on a hill, and is charged by a Ghol.  He throws the bottle STRAIGHT UP and runs down the other side of the hill.  Ghol charges after, and guess what comes down on the top of the hill as the Ghol crests it.? ]

I just hope they'll put weather (ie wind) in this AOE.  Get to teach kiddies the difference between crossbows and longbows...

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2005, 05:34:25 AM »

Im betting that pic of the large city is from a cutscene.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2005, 08:35:01 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Im betting that pic of the large city is from a cutscene.

I don't think so.  The graphical effects are consistent with those in the other screenshots.  There are many more buildings and details in that shot, though.

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2005, 02:27:41 PM »

The graphics definately look fantastic. I do think that one "bustleing city" might be a little contrived, meaning thats not what we are going to be seeing in game, they just built the scene in-game for the sole purpose of taking cool screen-shots for the press release. None the less, the graphics are definately top-notch and will probably make my computer cry.

I will definately want to crank up Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden when I play the native american scenarios (assuming there will be some) smile
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2005, 05:09:36 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
The graphics definately look fantastic. I do think that one "bustleing city" might be a little contrived, meaning thats not what we are going to be seeing in game, they just built the scene in-game for the sole purpose of taking cool screen-shots for the press release. None the less, the graphics are definately top-notch and will probably make my computer cry.

I still say that scene is rendered in engine, but it's probably from a cutscene.  Looks like the same technique that Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 use to fill in the most distant backgrounds: a painted, flat image.  Hell, the same thing shows up in the cutscenes from Age of Mythology and its expansion, just not as high tech.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2005, 05:41:04 PM »

That picture looks like its from a video, in no other screen shots do I see that kind of variety in the units on the screen.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2005, 06:57:35 PM »

Methinks Ensemble Studios needs a new trick pony. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2005, 12:18:38 AM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"
That picture looks like its from a video, in no other screen shots do I see that kind of variety in the units on the screen.

Why would the variety in the onscreen units preclude it from being a real in game screenshot?  Why bother rendering such a variety of units in such detail and then only using them for a cutscene when they share many visual characteristics with the units in other screenshots?  Makes more sense to just go ahead and use them in the game.

Also, Ensemble, AFAIK, never uses pre-rendered cutscenes in their games that look anything like actual gameplay.  Think something along the lines of the opening cinemas in Starcraft and Diablo 2 versus the appearance of the graphics during actual gameplay.  Why would Ensemble change this practice now?  Besides, pre-rendered movies that are made from in-game graphics look so sloppy.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2005, 01:14:31 AM »

That pic looks like a screen for a menu.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2005, 05:15:11 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"

That pic looks like a screen for a menu.

The more times I look at it the more I think that's correct.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2005, 06:11:43 PM »

Which one is true?
I actaully wouldnt doubt that menu option.

dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2005, 07:33:45 PM »

Which one is true?
I actaully wouldnt doubt that menu option.

According to Gamespy's front page, the screenshots are in game.  It sounds reasonable to me that that image is a menu background.  Age of Mythology and the expansion both use in game graphics for their menu backgrounds.  I think doing this preloads some of the game resources, just like the menu backgrounds in Half-life 2.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2005, 07:40:33 PM »

I want to play it now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: