http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 04:47:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice for Finding a Wii?  (Read 1749 times)
Fireball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:58:54 PM »

I really want a Nintendo Wii badly. I've played with them a couple times with friends, and they are absolutely amazing. However, i can't find one anywhere. I know this is a common problem, but I also know that many folks on here have been successful in locating a Wii in the wild. Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

I'm down in Austin (gag, vomit), a pathetically small town with very little in the way of megastores. There's a Best Buy or two, Targets, etc. I swing through them when I can, but it's usually in the evening, as I go to work before they open and can't really get away during the day, and it's never a useful trip.

Superbowl Sunday is this coming weekend, and I'd like to have something fun to do while I avoid anything having to do with that game. Without some major mojo, though, it seems like I'll never be able to find a console in time. If anyone has any advice, I sure would appreciate it.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:45:11 PM »

I find that Portland's craiglist listings routinely have Wiis advertised.  Most of the time they're marked up $50 or so, but hey, if you want one...

I would check that out.

Edit - just looked up some listings for Austin - the median price seems to be $320.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 11:46:49 PM by depward » Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 12:09:43 AM »

Quote from: depward on January 29, 2007, 11:45:11 PM

I find that Portland's craiglist listings routinely have Wiis advertised.  Most of the time they're marked up $50 or so, but hey, if you want one...

I would check that out.

Edit - just looked up some listings for Austin - the median price seems to be $320.

$20 more for the Austin Sucks Surcharge, I guess. :-)

Thanks for the idea, I'll keep a look out on Austin's Craigslist.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 12:12:12 AM by Fireball1244 » Logged

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 12:16:09 AM »

I bought mine off of craigslist this weekend.  One thing that I noticed most folks on craigslist don't include is what they paid in sales tax on a Wii when they mark it up, so some of the markups aren't as bad as you'd think they are.

For example, a $340 Costco bundle really would cost you $366 after tax in CA - I paid $375 for mine, so paying $9 above list was quite palpable considering I didn't have to wait in any lines or drive around all of creation looking for one smile  Just be sure to check it often, and feel free to email folks even if their posting is a day or so old as often they won't get any responses.

Also, if you haven't used it yet iTrackr.com is also a very invaluable tool for finding Wiis and accessories - the only problem is that quite a few folks use it too, so its pretty much a footrace to a store once its in stock.  The other problem is that the EBGames/Gamestop inventories listed on that site are usually bogus so it ends up being more of a Target Wii tracker than anything.

Good hunting though - I'm having way more fun with mine than I thought I would so far; easily worth the efforts to find one smile
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 12:18:10 AM by Dimmona » Logged

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:21:59 AM »

After using itrackr.com for 4 weeks, I find it's a waste of time.  They simply don't update the inventory quick enough to allow you to get to the store.   

Your best bet is to watch the Sunday sales ads (cheapassgamer.com has them weeks in advance) and find when the next big restock is coming.  On Sunday, get to the store four hours ahead of time and wait. 

Or, pay a premium through ebay or craigslist. 

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 01:56:26 AM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on January 29, 2007, 10:58:54 PM

I'm down on Austin (gag, vomit),

Sorry, it had to be done  icon_twisted

Looks like eBay auctions are being relatively reasonable.  I saw one that ended at 315.00 plus 30.00 shipping last night.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
strummer
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 02:05:19 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on January 30, 2007, 12:16:09 AM

Also, if you haven't used it yet iTrackr.com is also a very invaluable tool for finding Wiis and accessories - the only problem is that quite a few folks use it too, so its pretty much a footrace to a store once its in stock.  The other problem is that the EBGames/Gamestop inventories listed on that site are usually bogus so it ends up being more of a Target Wii tracker than anything.

I'll second that.  I used iTrackr.com and that is how I got my Wii.  While I was in a meeting, I received an email from iTrackr a little after 10 AM one weekday morning last week alerting me that the Target near my workplace had added them to inventory.  As soon as I got out of the meeting at 11, headed there and picked up one of a few waiting in the case.  Then I received another email alert close to noon alerting me that they were now out of stock.

But as Dimmona said, you will need to ignore the EBGames/GS inventories as they are very late in updating and focus on the local Targets and Circuit Cities which seem to be very accurate.  If you have a couple in the vicinity, it should be worthwhile.  One thing to keep in mind, you may not get quick results.  It took about 3 weeks of using iTrackr for any of my local Targets or CCs to actually get them in.
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 04:49:04 PM »

Quote from: Temjin on January 30, 2007, 01:21:59 AM

Your best bet is to watch the Sunday sales ads (cheapassgamer.com has them weeks in advance) and find when the next big restock is coming.  On Sunday, get to the store four hours ahead of time and wait.

That's the advice I followed to get mine.  I camped out a full 10 hours in advance.

Overkill?  Yup.  But I was first in line and got the only extra remote they had in stock.  It turned out to be well worth it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 06:03:10 PM »

FWIW a coworker heard his local Walmart was holding 28 units for last Sunday morning.  They're a 24-hour store, and he was able to just walk in at 12:10am and buy one without a crazy subzero wait in line.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 12:04:50 AM »

Hmm.  It looks like Sears has them in stock online right now:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=05892000000&sid=I0084400010000100484&AFFL=Y

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 12:49:30 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on January 31, 2007, 12:04:50 AM

Hmm.  It looks like Sears has them in stock online right now:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=05892000000&sid=I0084400010000100484&AFFL=Y

Already sold out, chief. But thanks for the link. icon_lol

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 01:25:25 AM »

Wow, they're still going quickly.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 03:34:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 30, 2007, 01:56:26 AM

Looks like eBay auctions are being relatively reasonable.  I saw one that ended at 315.00 plus 30.00 shipping last night.

I seriously hope he is saying Austin sucks strictly for finding a Wii (which I hear it does).  If he TRULY thinks Austin sucks he needs to spend a little time in Houston  to fully comprehend what living in a fucking armpit of a city is.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 08:51:20 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on January 31, 2007, 03:34:00 AM

I seriously hope he is saying Austin sucks strictly for finding a Wii (which I hear it does).  If he TRULY thinks Austin sucks he needs to spend a little time in Houston  to fully comprehend what living in a fucking armpit of a city is.

Houston sucks because it is terribly laid out and impossible to get around. Austin sucks in a totally different, and in my opinion far less forgiveable way -- it is small. Pathetically, wretchedly, disgustingly small. It's a glob of spit stuck to the side of the Colorado River, bereft of bookstores, retail locations, theatres and other amenities that make life worth living. I love my job, but I detest living in Austin.

Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 03:45:08 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on February 01, 2007, 08:51:20 PM

Houston sucks because it is terribly laid out and impossible to get around. Austin sucks in a totally different, and in my opinion far less forgiveable way -- it is small. Pathetically, wretchedly, disgustingly small.

Really?  It as population of 690,252.  That's small to you?  The largest city in my state is about 1/3 the size of that.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 04:27:39 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on January 31, 2007, 03:34:00 AM

Houston sucks because it is terribly laid out and impossible to get around. Austin sucks in a totally different, and in my opinion far less forgiveable way -- it is small. Pathetically, wretchedly, disgustingly small. It's a glob of spit stuck to the side of the Colorado River, bereft of bookstores, retail locations, theatres and other amenities that make life worth living. I love my job, but I detest living in Austin.
I want a Wii quite badly as well, but I refuse to pay over retail on these things.
Thankfully, I have time to wait.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 04:58:43 PM »

Agreed. The WalMart bundle online was something north of $600. I just want the damn console, people, and maybe a few games like Zelda and... uh... nothing else at the moment. But it'd be nice to find one eventually. icon_cool

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 05:55:14 PM »

Fred Meyer (if you live near one) apparently got a shipment in last night - I can confirm it because I saw a crapload of wiimotes & nunchucks and asked about it.  The employee told me they received 14 Wiis and had already sold out of the console.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 07:17:10 PM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on February 02, 2007, 03:45:08 PM

Houston sucks because it is terribly laid out and impossible to get around. Austin sucks in a totally different, and in my opinion far less forgiveable way -- it is small. Pathetically, wretchedly, disgustingly small.

Really?  It as population of 690,252.  That's small to you?  The largest city in my state is about 1/3 the size of that.

Honestly, Dallas feels small to me at times. I long to go back to NYC, pretty much constantly.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 07:18:33 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 02, 2007, 04:58:43 PM

Agreed. The WalMart bundle online was something north of $600. I just want the damn console, people, and maybe a few games like Zelda and... uh... nothing else at the moment. But it'd be nice to find one eventually. icon_cool

I just got one! Okay, I paid a bit over retail, but it was in an unopened box, with receipt, and looking through, everything appears in order. Score one for Craig's List, which I'd never used before. I set up the buy yesterday, so last night I had a chance to pick up Twilight Princess. Tonight, I'm grabbing Donkey Kong and Super Mario off of Virtual Console, and between those three and Wii Sports, I'll be set. No Stupid Bowl for me this year!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 08:03:42 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on February 02, 2007, 07:18:33 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 02, 2007, 04:58:43 PM

I just got one! Okay, I paid a bit over retail, but it was in an unopened box, with receipt, and looking through, everything appears in order. Score one for Craig's List, which I'd never used before. I set up the buy yesterday, so last night I had a chance to pick up Twilight Princess. Tonight, I'm grabbing Donkey Kong and Super Mario off of Virtual Console, and between those three and Wii Sports, I'll be set. No Stupid Bowl for me this year!
Awesome!  Congrats!  YOU WILL LOVE IT

Make sure to add your Wii # to our list!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: