http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 06:43:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advent Rising Impressions [Xbox]  (Read 4661 times)
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2005, 04:21:53 PM »

For some strange reason/feeling, I'm really, really looking forward to this one.  It is suppose to be in stores today.

Anyone pick it up?

Impressions?  I'll post mine as soon as I get it and fire it up.

biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 04:47:06 PM »

We got the ship notice today....I thought it was on shelves tomorrow?

I'm actually looking forward to it as well. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 05:06:49 PM »

I'd like to hear about this one too...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 05:46:35 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
We got the ship notice today....I thought it was on shelves tomorrow?

You'd think after years of games shipping on Tuesdays and in stores on Wednesdays we'd figure this out. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 04:33:27 AM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
You'd think after years of games shipping on Tuesdays and in stores on Wednesdays we'd figure this out. slywink

I'm pretty sure that only applies to music.  If you look at the release dates at EB, for example, you will see they are all over the place.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 04:48:03 AM »

I'm pretty sure that only applies to music. If you look at the release dates at EB, for example, you will see they are all over the place.

Actually, music and movies are released on Tuesdays.

The confusion with game releases comes from a few things.  First of all, EB and Gamestop, until recently, listed their games with "release dates" when they really meant "ship dates."  And I think, once upon a time, EB's website actually DID list the date the game was released.  Also, there are times when a game will arrive in store on the ship date, more often for big new releases, but sometimes for smaller ones, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 05:18:54 AM »

As best as I can tell, Advent Rising wasn't present at E3 -- I haven't been able to find hands-on impressions from the show anywhere.  It seems suspicious that a game would skip out on an opportunity for so much publicity immediately before its release, so I'll be very interested to see some reviews on this.

-Autistic Angel
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 12:10:20 PM »

There's a review up at Gamespy;

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/advent-rising/620476p1.html

They seem very disappointed with it.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 01:10:48 PM »

7.8 from IGN...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 03:20:28 PM »

It appears frame rate is a real issue.  Maybe it'll be best to wait a month for the PC version which is also cheaper by $20.  Of course, I was looking forward to playing this from the couch...

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 03:24:11 PM »

I think I'll wait the month that it will take for the X-Box version to drop to around $20...

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 04:15:30 PM »

Yeah this doesn't sound promising. THe summer of no games continues for me frown
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 09:32:52 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
Actually, music and movies are released on Tuesdays.

How could I forget movies! :oops: Way back when they used to release good stuff on DVD I would always check out the new releases.  Obviously the lack of good stuff made me forget!

Too bad about the early impressions.  I look forward to more reviews coming in so I can get a better feel for "what went wrong."

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 10:17:15 PM »

I got it and will report back after an hour or so with it.   By the way, I did not have to outlay any cash for it.  Was old store credit from months ago.  Probably will end up wishing I had used it on Geist or Conker, but....

back in awhile

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 11:56:46 PM »

Thanks Mike - Still interested!!

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 01:30:49 AM »

The ultimate dis: Gamespot gives it a 5.7.  Officially OUT for sure, not even sure I'll rent it.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 01:37:09 AM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Probably will end up wishing I had used it on Geist

Well, Geist just got pushed back to August.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 03:08:30 AM »

mikeg, how're those impressions coming?

UConnBBall
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 12:18:50 PM »

Orspn Scott Card (AKA my favorite Author) wrote the story line. I am really intrested on what he did with a video game!

-UConn

-UConn

-----------------------------------------------
Discover the fun in life, because the rest discovers itself.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 03:59:45 PM »

You seem to have something in your throat.  You're sounding a little huskie.

UConnBBall
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2005, 06:17:25 PM »

a little bit Huskie?

Aslo it is Orson Scott Card not Orspn slywink

-UConn

-----------------------------------------------
Discover the fun in life, because the rest discovers itself.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 06:55:28 PM »

Quote from: "UConnBBall"
a little bit Huskie?

Aslo it is Orson Scott Card not Orspn slywink

UConn - it's Also, not Aslo. :wink:

XM Channel 76
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2005, 10:03:59 PM »

I posted some impressions earlier and they are not here and now I am too tired to do it all over again.  I will sum it up.

Played 2 hours.

Frame-rate is sketchy and gives the whole game a kind of jerky, stuttery feel.  Not super bad but enough that I notice it alot and it keeps the game from being smooth playing like I prefer. Can be irritating.  To be honest, there is no excuse for this in my opinion.  None whatsoever.

Story is the best thing so far.  Very good and draws you in.  You really care about the characters and want to save them all.  Really tough when you have to chose to save one and not another (all I will say about that)

Do not buy the game for the graphics.  Nothing special.  Especially since this late in the Xbox life cycle.  Looks like a weak Jak and Daxter to me.  

Lack of polish in some areas and pretty spiffy in others.  Level design is good and seems logical and sprawling.  Some examples of poor technical execution:  strolling along moving up and down steps and short walls fine but come across a fallen floor lamp only to get stuck on it and flop around like a spaz, or when I walked up to a wall cabinet to grab some more ammo only to find that I have leaped mysterly up the wall and now stand on the one-inch lip of the top edge of the cabinet.  Dumb stuff like that.  Or when walking up steps there is no attempt at all to make it look like I am walking up steps-body just glides up the incline with not so much of a stagger.  Those are only nit picks but they all degrade the experience over time if there are enough of them.  For me at least.

I do not like the flick targeting system.  I would prefer to just aim and/or strafe.  When completely surround by enemies from every angle good luck picking JUST that one you want to attack.  Not so good.

Weapons are good.

Sound is very good and immersive.

Best game to ever make you feel like you are in the middle of the massive planetary invasion and in the midst of the chaotic war.  Love that whole out-of-control-everyone's-running-for their-life atmosphere.  People dying all around you as you battle to get to an escape pod or save a friend, etc.  Very good.

I would have to say, only being this far into to it and not knowing if some of these issues will smooth out over the course of the game, that I tend to agree with Gamespy's review.  Maybe a smidgen higher at the most.  No more than a 6.9 out of 10 at this point.

Nuff for now.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2005, 11:17:43 PM »

After playing another hour, I think I am done with it.  The flick targeting thing is just bugging me too much.  Have it up for sale in the Trade forum tonight and tomorrow.  If no go, then off to EB as a trade tomorrow afternoon.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2005, 11:50:25 PM »

That's rough!!

Thanks Mike for taking the hit!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2005, 04:51:17 AM »

Yes, thanks.  I'll be waiting to see if the PC version is any good.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2005, 02:42:52 PM »

Well, I'm considerably farther into the game now.  I think this game gets better as you go, something I'm doubting from the folks who gave it a 5/10.  The gameplay changes dramatically later.  That said, there are some serious issues with lack of polish with this game.  Graphical glitches, AI turns off occasionally (had it happen on a boss fight!), and the framerate dips badly at points.  All that said, its not a bad bargain bin pickup.  By no means is it a 5/10, even if you end up only picking it up for the storyline and epic battles.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2005, 05:20:26 PM »

WOW!

NO SPOILERS.

What an awesome cinematic-styled game.  A space opera of excellence.  I finally got a chance to really begin playing this game and I love it.  I started with a marathon session this past Friday night and I couldn't stop.  I was thinking about the game all day Saturday while I was videotaping a dance recital for my dad's video business.  I cannot stress the epic cinematic feel to this game.  It's extraordinary.

Two things define a stellar game to me:  characters & memorable moments.  In this game, I'm already attached to the characters.  So there is the first plus.  Second, I can't stop thinking about the fun moments I had playing it Friday night.  Here is a list of what I specifically enjoyed so far.  At this point, I'm on the planet after leaving the station during the attack.  I just entered a city on the planet. [I'm being intentionally vague here to avoid spoilers]  So, I'm not that far at all, but I'm already hopelessly hooked on this game.
  • Loved the sequence of carrying my injured brother through the station while picking off the enemy with my one free hand.  That was so cool and intense because my movement was greatly limited as I had to drag him along with one arm around his shoulder.
  • Love the combat!  I love firing off shots in two different directions at two different enemies!  Flick targeting works for me!
  • Rescuing my fiance!  That was one really fun sequence.  I really "felt" for her and wanted to really "protect" her.  And that damn Seeker boss pummelled my ass several times before I finally figured out how to nail that jackass.
  • The Seekers!  Bad ass to the extreme!  The way they pick up humans like a rag doll and kept smashing them into the floor and walls several times and then punching the hell out of them.  I was f'ing pissed to the extreme!  I went on a rampage plastering those bastards.  I was surprised at how angry I got at them - and it's only a game!  I'm typically a good guy in games, but I want to kill now!  Congrats to the designers for bringing up these emotions in me.
  • Crash landing on the planet in the escape pod and stealing a Scythe (think Warthog) and riding around the sand dunes and rocks.  Once I figured out the booster rockets it was a blast flying over gulleys and canyons!!!  Best of all - my fiance (Olivia) manning the turrets while I drove!  Cool!
  • It felt very satisfying running over the Seekers in the Scythe!!!  Yes!  Take that you human killing bastards.
  • The cut scenes of the Seeker attack, masses of humanity running for there lives, being gunned down, destruction everywhere.  Wow.  That is all I can say about that.
  • Driving the Scythe in the storm drain conduits around the city.  That was fun because I felt like a caged rat desperately trying to find a way out while being pummeled by Seeker artillery of some kind.
  • Entering the city and observing the devastation.  Wow.  I felt humbled and depressed.

These are just some of the highlights so far.  You have to experience it to appreciate it.  I will say this though.  If you can't get over the techincal glitches that everyone is screaming about you will most certainly miss one of the best and emotional game experiences you can have.  This, in my opinion, is not a bargain bin or rental title at all.  This is, and hopefully will be, an epic.

Speaking of the all those technical issues, I have yet to experience anything earth shattering.  No frame rate slow downs or jerkiness for me (inside or outside of combat).  It certainly doesn't feel as "smooth" (for a lack of a better word) than Halo, but there is no problem I can see.  The only thing I've encountered so far was about 3 or 4 times the cut scenes paused for about 20 or so seconds and then continued.  Some other issues I've heard about, but have not experienced yet, include music skipping, clipping, framerate slow downs after cut scenes and lock ups.

Despite what some reviewers and others are saying about the "technical issues" with this game, you owe it to yourself as gamers to "experience" this space opera.  And I've heard that any technical issues you might experience early in the game only gets better as the game goes on.  I really applaud developers who can give us gamers something different like this - in other words:  a game that feels like I'm in a movie.  I haven't felt like this since my old PC Wing Commander days.

And please, don't even bring up the disaster that is the $1 million dollar contest.  That is not even an issue here.  The contest, and any contest for that matter, is a joke.  You play this game to experience the story and the characters.

I for one cannot wait, and hope and pray, they continue to make the remaining two games of the trilogy.

Oh, the music.  Hot damn the music.  The BEST ever (next to the original Wing Commander music on the PC).  It even rivals the Halo soundtrack in my opinion.  I can't wait to pick up the soundtrack tomorrow!

Enjoy this game!
[/list] biggrin

XM Channel 76
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 12:14:12 AM »

I haven't felt like this since my old PC Wing Commander days.

Don't TEMPT me, man. I loved the space opera feel of the Wing Commander series. I skipped on Advent Rising because several reviewers said the story was nonexistent.  I can deal with glitches, just as long as I can relate to the game's characters. So is the story better than what I've been told?

You'll also be happy to know that the publisher is committed to the trilogy despite the initially lackluster sales.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 04:34:54 PM »

Quote from: "RamPanther"
So is the story better than what I've been told?

Yes.  For me it is.  As I said in my above post, I'm not that far into the game but I usually know rather quickly in a game if the story and characters grab me.  This one has in spades.  I cared for the characters almost immediately.  And they have personality, which to me makes them almost seem real.  That was the first good sign.  Then, I developed such a hatred for the Seekers (the enemy) due to their treatment of the humans.  More strong emotions coming to the surface - the second good sign.  The third good sign - the music.  My god the music is beyond words.

I'm not at all picky about games.   I don't sweat the little naggling details that others seem to dwell on.  Lifes too short to dismiss a good game because of a few "perceived" imperfections.  At least that is how I feel.
 biggrin

XM Channel 76
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2005, 12:27:21 AM »

Please keep us posted as you get further into the game! I'm interested in learning if the story holds up for you.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2005, 12:07:12 PM »

God, this game is a mess.  Probably the worst frame-rate, stuttering, jumpy game I have ever played.  Spastic is all I can say.  The story I like, the characters are neat, and the gameplay elements I like, but the quality of the product is pitiful in my opinion.  It's like they through it out there without testing it at all.  I am talking about the Xbox version.  

A rental at the most.   Very very very disappointing to me.  Couldn't hang more than about 4 hours.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2005, 03:40:05 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
God, this game is a mess.  Probably the worst frame-rate, stuttering, jumpy game I have ever played.  Spastic is all I can say.  The story I like, the characters are neat, and the gameplay elements I like, but the quality of the product is pitiful in my opinion.  It's like they through it out there without testing it at all.  I am talking about the Xbox version.  

A rental at the most.   Very very very disappointing to me.  Couldn't hang more than about 4 hours.

I'm sorry to hear that mikeg.  I'm not experiencing what you described at all.  Like I initially said, it's not as smooth but nothing like you are describing, which is strange.  One of those things that can't be explained.  For example, Mercenaries was totally unplayable for me because of unrelenting/constant music, voice and sound effects skipping.  Nobody else had this problem.  As a result, I missed out on that fantastic game.

But, Advent Rising is absolutely fantastic.  Oh I hope they continue the trilogy.

XM Channel 76
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2005, 04:06:22 PM »

Must resist.. must wait for PC version...  of course now it's listed as shipping the end of July  :evil:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2005, 12:15:18 PM »

I needed to update you guys/gals on this excellent, absorbing game.  Don't worry no spoilers.

This game has me by the proverbial balls!  I have not experienced this immersion and emotion in a story since my Wing Commander days.  I just cannot get over the combination of action, orchestral music, and cinematic style of this game.  It is brilliant!  I really, really feel like I'm starring in a science fiction movie.  Just brilliant.  The whole story arc involving an evil race hell bent on exterminating every human alive, at all costs, is so riveting.  This evil race, the Seekers, remind me alot of the "Skin of Evil" in that first or second season of Star Trek The Next Generation - the evil tar-like creature that killed Tasha.  It was a creature with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.  The Seekers are just like this.

I also have progressed far enough into the game that I now have several of the "powers".  Nothing beats lifting a Seeker into the air with my power and holding it there (with the right trigger) and then with my left hand (left trigger) pummel it with my weapon till there is only a lifeless carcass remaining to drop to the ground.  Cool!

Also, I have had several instances (reminiscent of the warthog race to the end in Halo 1) in the game where the action was so incredible and tense with explosions everywhere, dust flying, lasers whizzing by, orchestral music soaring that just made me totally lose myself in what I was doing and I actually forgot for a few moments that I was sitting on my couch playing a game!  I actually found myself cheering out loud at certain moments when "help arrived" at critical times in the game when I thought I was doomed.  Being intentionally vague here to avoid spoilers.

I will reiterate.  I have not had a single technical problem with this game and I'm pretty far in.  No frame rate slowdowns, no crashes, no clipping, no stuttering at all.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  

Please, please don't miss out on this game!  To me, this is my Game of the Year (so far) for 2005.  And that say's alot since I already finished KOTOR 2.

Enjoy! biggrin

XM Channel 76
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2005, 04:46:59 AM »

Wow.  This game rocked.  I picked it up yesterday and pretty much played straight through.  The story is great, the action was intense, the targeting system was...was... fucking annoying.  If only there was a way to turn off the autotarget all together.  anyway, you can get this one for 25 used or 20 for the PC version.  It's worth your time and money at that price.  I just hope they make the other 2 games in the series, or at least one more to give a sense of resolution

Oh yeah, and you really want to sit through the closing credits on this one.  There's more gameplay after them  :twisted:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2005, 01:26:08 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Wow.  This game rocked.  I picked it up yesterday and pretty much played straight through.  The story is great, the action was intense, the targeting system was...was... fucking annoying.  If only there was a way to turn off the autotarget all together.  anyway, you can get this one for 25 used or 20 for the PC version.  It's worth your time and money at that price.  I just hope they make the other 2 games in the series, or at least one more to give a sense of resolution

Oh yeah, and you really want to sit through the closing credits on this one.  There's more gameplay after them  :twisted:

How many hours of gameplay?
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2005, 01:43:58 PM »

I've been preaching the excellence of this game for a long time.  I'm so disappointed that the GT community basically brushed this one aside.  It's the only game I ever considered playing a second time through.  And I would have if I didn't promise to send my copy to mytocles!:evil: :wink:

ATB, my fellow KOTOR buddy, you will enjoy this game.  Don't worry about the hours.  I don't remember how many hours it took me (although you know how I play these games  :wink: ), but it's pretty standard length.

Quick Summary
Fantastic Story
Heart Pounding Action
Memorable Characters
Cool Force-Like Powers
Abstract Science Fiction
and...THE GREATEST KICK ASS GAME SOUNDTRACK EVER!!!

Whatever you do don't compare this game to Halo!

XM Channel 76
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2005, 03:39:27 PM »

It was merely.. acceptable.

Might be the most buggy game I have ever played though, especially for a console.

It plays ok, but some of the animations are down into the realm of awful, the voice acting is pathetic, and the graphics engine is prone to terrible slowdown.

Oh, and the aiming system on the xbox is terribly clunky too, and it actually makes the game harder than it should be sometimes..

I played the Xbox version first, and then the PC version later. They were identical in almost every way. The PC version looked prettier because of the higher resolution, and of course the garbage aiming system on the xbox was gone and replaced with the keyboard and mouse, but was otherwise the same, bugs, slowdown, and all.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2005, 04:22:03 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
It was merely.. acceptable.

Yikes!  A little harsh?  Can you elaborate a little more on why you thought it was merely acceptable?  Did you like the story at all?  I'm curious.  Maybe the sci fi storyline turned you off.  And even if the techincal issues you had (which I didn't - see below) turned you off you have to admit the soundtrack was phenomenal!!!:D

Might be the most buggy game I have ever played though, especially for a console.

It plays ok, but some of the animations are down into the realm of awful, the voice acting is pathetic, and the graphics engine is prone to terrible slowdown.

For me it was never buggy.  I kid you not.  I guess I got lucky.  I had zero stutters, zero slowdowns, zero clipping and zero music cutting out.  Most people are very jaded with voice overs in games.  I'm not.  The voice acting was brilliant.  Olivia & Marin's voices were very well done and pleasing to the ear. :wink:  There was nothing cringe inducing with voice overs anywhere in the game.

Oh, and the aiming system on the xbox is terribly clunky too, and it actually makes the game harder than it should be sometimes.

Most people hated the "flick targeting" with the right stick.  I loved it!  I found it to be very intuitive.  Just point (or flick) the right stick in the direction of where you want to shoot!  Simple for me.  I think most people are just so darn use to pressing a button to cycle through enemies that they just cannot fathom a new method.

I played the Xbox version first, and then the PC version later. They were identical in almost every way. The PC version looked prettier because of the higher resolution...

I can't comment on the PC version.  Never played it.

XM Channel 76
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: