http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 12:17:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adam Sessler talks Grand Theft Box Office  (Read 2994 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:55:16 AM »

I don't know if Adam Sessler's Soap Box is a regular feature at G4TV or something like that but Kotaku has a news story about Sessler's view on high-profile video games causing movies released the same week to perform poorly and I thought it was a hilarious rant about most of Hollywood's movies sucking. Here's the link, let me know if you guys found it as funny a I did:

http://kotaku.com/378078/sessler-on-grand-theft-box-office

I met the guy a few times at E3, awesome guy.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 03:06:33 AM »

Love the Sess!

Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 03:24:09 AM »

I do like Adam Sessler but I still haven't quite forgiven him for his crappy contributions to that Jack Thompson debate thing they had on Attack of the Show (last year? two years ago?). He came off a raving lunatic and made Thompson seem almost normal. That's hard to do.

Hm. Sorry. Didn't intend to be troll-ish when I originally hit the reply button.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 04:22:21 AM »

Quote from: Kyosho on April 10, 2008, 03:24:09 AM

I do like Adam Sessler but I still haven't quite forgiven him for his crappy contributions to that Jack Thompson debate thing they had on Attack of the Show (last year? two years ago?). He came off a raving lunatic and made Thompson seem almost normal. That's hard to do.

Hm. Sorry. Didn't intend to be troll-ish when I originally hit the reply button.

I think Adam's personality keeps him from being a good person to debate with a politician, the guy is a spaz!

Sean Lama
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 04:27:27 AM »

I think he's far too out there for my taste, but his point is one that is very obvious. Hollywood puts out utter shite, they gets spanked because there was another, more favorable, alternative available, then they get up in arms that no one is going to the theater. Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuse us for not wanting to pay for one abysmal rip-off after another. If I'm paying $20+ for two to three hours worth of entertainment, then I expect to be entertained. I can throw away money at the horse track if I really wanted to. Maybe I'm growing increasingly elitist as I get older, but there are plenty of films out that I flat out refuse to see because I've either seen 20 variants on it already and ALL of them sucked. If you want your parade rained on just a little bit harder, check out AICN's script review of the remake for "The Day The Earth Stood Still." It is unreal to me how this script got made. Then I remember it's Fox behind it and it all makes sense.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 01:40:48 PM »

Adam Sessler once did a sketch on X-Play where he woke up in a world governed by the rules of a survival horror game: he couldn't get into the bathroom until he found the flashing red key card, and once he did, the sharp switches between fixed camera angles made it impossible to get anything done.

Does anyone know if there's a video of that sketch online someplace?  If it exists, I've never been able to find the right combination of search terms to bring it up. icon_frown

EDIT: Forget it: I finally found it.  I think this sketch, along with their 15-minute Saw parody, are two of my favorite X-Play bits ever.

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 01:52:10 PM by Autistic Angel » Logged
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 02:28:30 PM »

So is Adam a real gamer or is he secretly condescending of gamers like his co-host Morgan Webb?
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 03:45:50 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 10, 2008, 01:40:48 PM

EDIT: Forget it: I finally found it.  I think this sketch, along with their 15-minute Saw parody, are two of my favorite X-Play bits ever.

-Autistic Angel

That Saw parody was pretty funny.  Thanks for posting.

Damn, that Olivia Munn looks HAWT even without an arm and a leg.  smile
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 05:03:55 PM »

Quote from: skystride on April 10, 2008, 02:28:30 PM

So is Adam a real gamer or is he secretly condescending of gamers like his co-host Morgan Webb?

Nah, the guy is a gamer from what I can tell. He loves talking about games and actually outside of his wacky TV persona has some very good insight about the industry.

Sean Lama
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »

Source?  Everything I've read about her says that she's a hardcore gamer.  I think the one anecdote that's always mentioned is that she waited in line to buy one of the Unreal Tournament games.  Or do you mean she just doesn't appreciate that gamers drool all over her because she's a girl gamer?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 05:59:41 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 10, 2008, 05:54:19 PM

Source?  Everything I've read about her says that she's a hardcore gamer.  I think the one anecdote that's always mentioned is that she waited in line to buy one of the Unreal Tournament games.  Or do you mean she just doesn't appreciate that gamers drool all over her because she's a girl gamer?

I just assumed he was referring to the Tyra Banks show clip where some tool lets his girlfriend and Tyra call him an idiot for liking video games, and Morgan Webb gets brought on as the "expert" only to explain that there are a total of three different game genres and they all involve gamers needing therapy for their unfulfilled childhood dreams.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 06:03:53 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 10, 2008, 05:54:19 PM

Perhaps he's referring to this segment when Morgan was on Tyra Banks' show?  I don't really have any problems to her but her little pop-psycho analysis comes off as fairly condescending for someone whose livelihood is based on the guy that she's criticizing. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 06:25:06 PM »

I've met him, been interviewed by him, and even got to go out in DC with him and a bunch of other press guys when we did our big Fallout press event last summer.  He's awesome, by far the best interview I had all day (I had 8 solo interviews that day).  Definitely a gamer, I remember going over what we were playing at the time.  The rest of my memories are pretty hazy.  The man can put it back.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 06:26:26 PM »

I didn't feel Morgan's comments were condescending.  Now, Tyra and the girlfriend... yeah, they can go jump off a bridge
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 06:42:57 PM »

That's just because between segments he asked if Tyra was an ambi-turner.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 06:43:04 PM »

Quote from: Laner on April 10, 2008, 06:26:26 PM

I didn't feel Morgan's comments were condescending.  Now, Tyra and the girlfriend... yeah, they can go jump off a bridge

"I know grown men who admit to crying from Final Fantasy VII, this is a silly game!"

"People who like Final Fantasy are romantics and they want a girl."

"People who like FPS games are fighting something in themselves and find the world unfair."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 07:13:29 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 10, 2008, 06:43:04 PM

"I know grown men who admit to crying from Final Fantasy VII, this is a silly game!"

"People who like FPS games are fighting something in themselves and find the world unfair."

Didn't know about this so I just watched it on youtube.  I don't know if I'd describe it as being condescending to gamers, but it was a bit contrived.  She's not a psychologist, so I'm not sure where she was getting this analysis from. It sounded like she was repeating something that someone else wrote, possibly a Cosmo article about "how to get your gamer guy to pay attention to you" or something. We know she plays shooters and rpgs, so it sounded awfully strange coming from her.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 07:17:09 PM »

I think the context of those quotes is stripped, and the show taints her comments with Tyra's oblivious nature (which seems contrived; Tyra isn't a stupid person).

Morgan Webb looks, in that show, like a card-carrying lesbian. biggrin

Not sayin' it's a bad thing...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 07:35:10 PM »

*shrug*

I didn't find those statements offensive; sounds more like she was trying to explain certain aspects of gaming appeal to an audience that is unfamiliar (and often hostile) to games in general.  It didn't come off particularly well, but I don't think it was malicious or condescending
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 07:45:22 PM »

Quote from: Laner on April 10, 2008, 07:35:10 PM

*shrug*

I didn't find those statements offensive; sounds more like she was trying to explain certain aspects of gaming appeal to an audience that is unfamiliar (and often hostile) to games in general.  It didn't come off particularly well, but I don't think it was malicious or condescending
To each his own.  If these comments were coming from anyone else, I'd have your attitude towards them.  However, being that they're coming from someone that makes a living from catering to the very same audience she refers to, I find them offensive.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 07:51:45 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 10, 2008, 07:17:09 PM

Morgan Webb looks, in that show, like a card-carrying lesbian. biggrin

I've always gotten the lesbian vibe about Morgan too.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that  icon_biggrin)

X-play has always made fun of JRPGs and bad FPS's so I don't see her coments on the Tyra Banks show to be that much out of character. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 07:58:04 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on April 10, 2008, 07:51:45 PM

X-play has always made fun of JRPGs and bad FPS's so I don't see her coments on the Tyra Banks show to be that much out of character. 

Bad FPS's?  She name checked CoD4 and Halo 3.  X-Play gave both 5.....out of 5. 
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 10:26:22 PM »

Quote from: rickfc

I'm not really a regular X-Play viewer, but of the episodes I have seen, the Saw parody ranks as my all-time favorite.  I'm glad you liked it! thumbsup

Quote from: denoginizer

When X-Play pokes fun at Naruto or Mega Man Battle Network fans, Adam and Morgan are joking about a sect of gamers to an audience of other gamers.  It's an inside joke shared among people who all belong to the same club.

On that Tyra Banks show, Morgan was invited onto a national stage for the explicit purpose of explaining videogaming to people who don't understand the hobby...and, given the tone of the piece, don't particularly want to.  Unfortunately, rather than highlighting a good game's capacity for deep, interactive storytelling, engaging action, or multiplayer teamwork, Morgan fed into the worst stereotypes about gamers as poorly socialized loners who immerse themselves among orcs and faeries to supplement the crushing emptiness of their real lives.  Role-players want to save the girl because its a good substitute for having a real one!  FPS junkies are acting out their frustrations over the inequities of the world around them!  Sports fans are still trying to live out their boyhood fantasies of being a big shot!

Morgan Webb could open each episode of X-Play with, "Hello all you pasty, pathetic losers!" for all the difference it makes to me, but when she's out introducing herself as some sort of liason between the gaming community and the general media, it would be nice if she'd keep her pop-psychology prejudices to herself.

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 11:15:14 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 10, 2008, 10:26:22 PM

Quote from: rickfc

I'm not really a regular X-Play viewer, but of the episodes I have seen, the Saw parody ranks as my all-time favorite.  I'm glad you liked it! thumbsup

When X-Play pokes fun at Naruto or Mega Man Battle Network fans, Adam and Morgan are joking about a sect of gamers to an audience of other gamers.  It's an inside joke shared among people who all belong to the same club.

On that Tyra Banks show, Morgan was invited onto a national stage for the explicit purpose of explaining videogaming to people who don't understand the hobby...and, given the tone of the piece, don't particularly want to.  Unfortunately, rather than highlighting a good game's capacity for deep, interactive storytelling, engaging action, or multiplayer teamwork, Morgan fed into the worst stereotypes about gamers as poorly socialized loners who immerse themselves among orcs and faeries to supplement the crushing emptiness of their real lives.  Role-players want to save the girl because its a good substitute for having a real one!  FPS junkies are acting out their frustrations over the inequities of the world around them!  Sports fans are still trying to live out their boyhood fantasies of being a big shot!

Morgan Webb could open each episode of X-Play with, "Hello all you pasty, pathetic losers!" for all the difference it makes to me, but when she's out introducing herself as some sort of liason between the gaming community and the general media, it would be nice if she'd keep her pop-psychology prejudices to herself.

-Autistic Angel

Well said. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 12:36:43 AM »

To be honest I don't think she was being serious with those comments and don't see it as  something to be offended over. I love gaming as much as the next guy yet I don't feel offended. Then again, I've never cried over a game  icon_lol Not that I think it would be silly, games have just never reached that deep of an emotional level with me.

Sean Lama
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 11:56:50 AM »

Unfortunately, rather than highlighting a good game's capacity for deep, interactive storytelling, engaging action, or multiplayer teamwork, Morgan fed into the worst stereotypes about gamers as poorly socialized loners who immerse themselves among orcs and faeries to supplement the crushing emptiness of their real lives.  Role-players want to save the girl because its a good substitute for having a real one!  FPS junkies are acting out their frustrations over the inequities of the world around them!  Sports fans are still trying to live out their boyhood fantasies of being a big shot!
-Autistic Angel

Deep interactive story telling?  Multiplayer teamwork? Sorry man.  But I think she was pretty much right on the money with most of her statements.  Alot of gamers out there are exacty as she describes.  She seemed to be kind of joking and going along with the mood of the show.  But I don't think she was saying anything that is not true at least to some degree.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 11:58:24 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on April 11, 2008, 11:56:50 AM

Unfortunately, rather than highlighting a good game's capacity for deep, interactive storytelling, engaging action, or multiplayer teamwork, Morgan fed into the worst stereotypes about gamers as poorly socialized loners who immerse themselves among orcs and faeries to supplement the crushing emptiness of their real lives.  Role-players want to save the girl because its a good substitute for having a real one!  FPS junkies are acting out their frustrations over the inequities of the world around them!  Sports fans are still trying to live out their boyhood fantasies of being a big shot!
-Autistic Angel

Deep interactive story telling?  Multiplayer teamwork? Sorry man.  But I think she was pretty much right on the money with most of her statements.  Alot of gamers out there are exacty as she describes.  She seemed to be kind of joking and going along with the mood of the show.  But I don't think she was saying anything that is not true at least to some degree.

Really?  So you like playing FPS's because of some deep rage within you that you need videogames to express?  Guess it's cheaper than therapy. 

Are there people like she describes? Absolutely.  Do I think the majority of gamers are like that, though?  Absolutely not. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 12:51:07 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 11, 2008, 12:45:56 PM

-Autistic Angel

Really?  So you like playing FPS's because of some deep rage within you that you need videogames to express?  Guess it's cheaper than therapy. 

Are there people like she describes? Absolutely.  Do I think the majority of gamers are like that, though?  Absolutely not. 

You don't play FPS's on Live.  Do you?   icon_biggrin

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 12:56:44 PM »

Point taken Tongue
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 04:21:50 PM »

Someone could also describe sports fans as a bunch of loud, body-painting, beer-swilling yahoos who obsess about every record, every trade, every play because they're desperately pretending that their fanatical devotion has some impact on the outcome of the season.  That would also be "true to at least some degree," while grossly misrepresenting the reality that millions of people follow sports because they love the strategy, the atmosphere, and the camaraderie of other fans.

I'm not quite sure which of my statements you're objecting to.  If, after participating in this community for this many years, you still doubt that good games have a great capacity for storytelling, teamwork, and fun, fair competition, I can't think of anything that could possibly change your mind.

If you think I'm taking Morgan's comments too literally because she was "kind of joking," I think her remarkably deadpan delivery would have been better suited for an audience who wasn't predisposed to completely miss the humor.

If you think there's some meaningful amount of truth to what she says, here's an easy way to win me over: you'll post several games that you think are particularly excellent -- just the titles! -- and we'll all use the Morgan Method to identify your deep-seated psychological deficiencies.    Whoever comes closest without going over wins a free doctorate!

-Autistic Angel
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on April 11, 2008, 12:51:07 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 11, 2008, 12:45:56 PM

-Autistic Angel

You don't play FPS's on Live.  Do you?   icon_biggrin

Deno wins the thread!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 11, 2008, 04:21:50 PM

Someone could also describe sports fans as a bunch of loud, body-painting, beer-swilling yahoos who obsess about every record, every trade, every play because they're desperately pretending that their fanatical devotion has some impact on the outcome of the season.  That would also be "true to at least some degree," while grossly misrepresenting the reality that millions of people follow sports because they love the strategy, the atmosphere, and the camaraderie of other fans.

I'm not quite sure which of my statements you're objecting to.  If, after participating in this community for this many years, you still doubt that good games have a great capacity for storytelling, teamwork, and fun, fair competition, I can't think of anything that could possibly change your mind.

If you think I'm taking Morgan's comments too literally because she was "kind of joking," I think her remarkably deadpan delivery would have been better suited for an audience who wasn't predisposed to completely miss the humor.

If you think there's some meaningful amount of truth to what she says, here's an easy way to win me over: you'll post several games that you think are particularly excellent -- just the titles! -- and we'll all use the Morgan Method to identify your deep-seated psychological deficiencies.    Whoever comes closest without going over wins a free doctorate!

-Autistic Angel

Many books have been written about the fanatical and sometimes over the top nature of sports fans.  Many of them by sportswriters.  I recently read "My Wife Thinks I'm An Idiot" By ESPN anchor and morning radio host Mike Greenberg. The book basically says many of the same things about sports fans that Morgan says about gamers on the show.

I don't think she is making fun of the games.  She is making fun of the gamers. All I am saying is that if she makes fun of online Halo teabaggers and people who love Final Fantasy and Nartuo on Xplay, why can't she make fun of them on Tyra?

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 05:37:57 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 11, 2008, 04:21:50 PM

Someone could also describe sports fans as a bunch of loud, body-painting, beer-swilling yahoos who obsess about every record, every trade, every play because they're desperately pretending that their fanatical devotion has some impact on the outcome of the season.

That would be gellar every year when Madden is released.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 05:53:55 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on April 11, 2008, 05:19:11 PM

I don't think she is making fun of the games.  She is making fun of the gamers. All I am saying is that if she makes fun of online Halo teabaggers and people who love Final Fantasy and Nartuo on Xplay, why can't she make fun of them on Tyra?

Because the audience is different.  On X-Play everyone is presumably in on the joke but the audience on Tyra isn't and is more likely to actually be hostile to the discussion.

Telling a friend to "Go Fuck Yourself" during good natured trash talking will get a completely different reaction than saying that to some random stranger on the street.  Context matters. 
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 11, 2008, 05:53:55 PM

Telling a friend to "Go Fuck Yourself" during good natured trash talking will get a completely different reaction than saying that to some random stranger on the street.  Context matters. 

I don't think I could have said this better myself.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 06:09:14 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 11, 2008, 06:05:06 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 11, 2008, 05:53:55 PM

I don't think I could have said this better myself.

Keven Grey wins the thread!  icon_biggrin

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 06:14:19 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on April 11, 2008, 06:09:14 PM

Keven Grey wins the thread!  icon_biggrin

Who's this "Keven"?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 06:17:03 PM »

Going a little bit off-topic here but have you guys watched G4 recently? They have a semi-hot chick in every segment. Olivia is pretty hot but my god is she a bad host... That skinny dude she hosts with is hilarious though.

Sean Lama
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2008, 06:27:18 PM »

All I am saying is that if she makes fun of online Halo teabaggers and people who love Final Fantasy and Nartuo on Xplay, why can't she make fun of them on Tyra?

For the same reason it's okay to roast your boss at the company holiday party, but not at the company staff meeting: sometimes the difference between "joking around" and "undermining credibility" is all in your choice of venue.

Morgan was presumably invited to appear on Tyra to explain gaming to people outside the hobby.  If you consider the woman on stage as a baseline, the audience is largely unfamiliar with videogames, and perhaps even irritated by or condescending towards people who enjoy them.  Is *that* really the appropriate venue for Morgan to start waxing psychological about the worst sort of lonely, angry, pitiable gamer?

Watching that YouTube clip, what do you think are the odds that anyone seeing it would come away with a superior understanding of why their boyfriend likes playing games?

-Autistic Angel
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 11, 2008, 06:17:03 PM

Going a little bit off-topic here but have you guys watched G4 recently? They have a semi-hot chick in every segment. Olivia is pretty hot but my god is she a bad host... That skinny dude she hosts with is hilarious though.

Kevin Pereira is an absolute riot.  The other girl you're thinking of, I think, is Layla Keighley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: