http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 03:36:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Activision turns into RIAA - starts suing file-sharers  (Read 1542 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2008, 08:00:15 PM »

Via ShackNews:

Game publisher Activision, the house of Guitar Hero (X360, PS3, PS2, Wii, DS) and Call of Duty (X360, PS3, PC, Wii), is suing individuals for pirating Activision games, garnering large cash settlements and agreements to stay silent.

Edge reported today that Activision has sued New York man James R. Strickland in federal court for copyright infringement, specifically mentioning the Xbox version of Treyarch's Call of Duty 3.

In response, GamePolitics uncovered "that Activision has engaged in a pattern of such federal suits, in most cases garnering big settlements from individuals who are not represented by attorneys and who, as part of their settlements, agree not to discuss the case."

The report continues, "Activision's court filings do not specify the manner in which their copyrights were violated, or how they came to learn of the violations."

Yup. Definitely sounds like the RIAA. Lovely.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:18:12 PM »

As a software developer, all I have to say is...

Good.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »

well, the reason the RIAA is bullshit is because of their tactics. they are sometimes going above their realm of law. is that what they are doing here?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 08:51:17 PM »

Keeping quiet is part of the deal? Seems like blackmail/extortion to me.

You pirated COD3, a mediocre title that was worth 60bux. It's now worth 5.

15,000 or we, Activision, will destroy you.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 12:43:28 AM »

It's extremely common in civil settlements.

Now Playing:

PC: SupCom 2, DoW CR, Spectromancer
Xbox Live: Panzer General, DJ Hero, Forza 3
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 12:45:26 AM »

And apparently there's something else going on:

An attorney who has represented Activision in six recent copyright lawsuits involving video games has told GamePolitics that the legal actions were not related to file sharing.

Karin Pagnanelli, a partner with Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp, wrote in an e-mail:

While we donít comment on litigation involving clients, we can advise you that we have never filed any litigation against a file-sharer on behalf of Activision.

GP: It would appear, then, that the six defendants we reported on in our earlier story were sued for something more complex than mere file sharing.

So...what exactly is going on?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 12:47:51 AM »

seriously, if you're going to pirate something pick a better game than Call of Duty 3.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 01:17:12 AM »

It could just be a real pirating operation trying to make and sell bootlegs, they just happened to use some file sharing and tried to get some attention and pressure by presenting themselves as innocent (Roll Eyes) file sharers.

It could even be the people who originally stole it, cracked it, and distributed it.  I think we all can agree that's a helluva lot worse than some little kid downloading it online.

So as bad as this looks for Activision, all the information is not available to us.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 03:08:58 AM »

Which is why I am amazed that they'd want to hide it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 03:23:06 AM »

Err what exactly do they have to remain quiet about? "Please don't tell anyone we sued your pants off."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 03:24:49 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 20, 2008, 03:08:58 AM

Which is why I am amazed that they'd want to hide it.

Yea that part doesn't make sense. Even the RIAA would admit the lawsuits were meant to scare people from doing the sharing as there are simply to many people doing it to actually sue everybody. Going after a person here and there but keeping it quiet seems odd, unless they are targeting what they believe are people involved in "pirating rings" to scare or shut them down.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »

Next thing you'll tell me that they're going to start prosecuting folks who steal cars - what is this world coming too!

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 03:32:41 PM »

What I like is the way states criminalize moving performances from one place to another. Here is a section of the code from Alabama:

"Manufacture, distribute, transport or wholesale any article with the knowledge that the sounds or performances are so transferred without consent of the owner."

Since it says nothing about copies, I can't figure out how it works.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 12:31:06 AM »

Looks like it could be false.

An attorney who has represented Activision in six recent copyright lawsuits involving video games has told GamePolitics that the legal actions were not related to file sharing.

Karin Pagnanelli, a partner with Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp, wrote in an e-mail:

While we donít comment on litigation involving clients, we can advise you that we have never filed any litigation against a file-sharer on behalf of Activision.

GP: It would appear, then, that the six defendants we reported on in our earlier story were sued for something more complex than mere file sharing.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 12:48:01 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 21, 2008, 12:31:06 AM

Looks like it could be false.

Well at least you read the whole thread before replying. Tongue
RLMullen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 12:57:59 AM »

The following is not intended to be snarky or trollish, but is the exact answer to the question...

Quote from: Destructor on September 20, 2008, 12:45:26 AM

None of your damn business!!  Seriously, that is the simple answer to your question.  You are not a party to the civil action; you don't have a right to know.... period!

This is almost boilerplate in civil settlements... all civil settlements.  Many times there are actions that they don't want the public to know... like for instance, exactly what they did to gather the evidence against the defendant.

Nothing to see here... move along...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 04:30:27 AM »

Quote from: RLMullen on September 21, 2008, 12:57:59 AM

The following is not intended to be snarky or trollish, but is the exact answer to the question...

Quote from: Destructor on September 20, 2008, 12:45:26 AM

None of your damn business!!  Seriously, that is the simple answer to your question.  You are not a party to the civil action; you don't have a right to know.... period!

Very true. Problem is, not saying what exactly is going on allows speculation like this to run rampant.

After poking a bit more around, I think I have to agree with Turtle here - apparently the people they sued were people trying to sell the game on the black market (or in flea markets - just as evil).

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »

but...but...we HAVE to knoeew!!!! WE HAVE TO!! Its imperative, and I DEMAND to know whats going on everywhere that I find something I want to know about!!

A new one
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 12:47:28 AM »

Quote from: sgoldj on September 20, 2008, 03:32:41 PM

What I like is the way states criminalize moving performances from one place to another. Here is a section of the code from Alabama:

"Manufacture, distribute, transport or wholesale any article with the knowledge that the sounds or performances are so transferred without consent of the owner."

Since it says nothing about copies, I can't figure out how it works.

The original person with the files is distributing the files through file sharing.  Just because it's not a physical distribution, it doesn't mean it's distribution.  Heck, you hear about game companies looking to "online distribution" for game sales.  Steam is an online distribution mechanism.  Steam has the permission to send the files (after charging money for it) while someone who has the files and doesn't have permission to distribute the files is breaking the law.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: