http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:48:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Activision buy Bizarre Creations  (Read 723 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2007, 06:38:24 PM »

shocking?...well yes actually,Bizarre Creations being the very same who do the PGR games

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172691

Like a bolt out the blue it's emerged that Activision has dipped into its piggy bank to snap up Bizarre Creations.

The Project Gotham Racing developer has described the acquisition as the "perfect solution" for the studio going forward, explaining that it's not easy being independent and that signing new games and bringing new IPs to market is "one of the most challenging things our company has ever faced."

"As I'm sure you can imagine, the most dangerous time for any independent is the period in between projects (or more precisely in between publishers)", it's added as it finishes up work on Project Gotham Racing 4.

"We've finally found a solution which allows us to not only stay as secure and profitable as we already are as a company, but also to continue to create kickass games in exactly the same way as we're doing now," Bizarre has said.

It describes the deal with Activision as "fundamentally different" to other acquisitions, explaining that it's not about it needing to be saved by a bigger corporation, nor indeed that it's in any kind of financial trouble.

"We're a dev looking to take our games to the next level, and make the absolute best products we can possibly make. Likewise, Activision is not in the business of 'buying out' struggling developers either."

Bizarre Creations will continue to exist as is following the acquisition, and the developer says it will maintain complete control over its studio and projects and that Activision takes a very "hands-off" approach to running things.

It also means the developer can truly go multiplatform now, and it's revealed that it's about to start work on two new triple-A games for Activision - "One will be a racing game, and the other a character game".

"What about the now?", the dev continues. "Firstly, Geometry Wars will remain unaffected; we'll continue to expand and advance the series just as we were going to do before. The Club will still be released with SEGA, Geometry Wars Galaxies will still be released with Sierra, and PGR4 will continue to be supported after its launch in October."

and for anyone interested...OXM gave PGR4 10/10...which seems to becoming the norm for 360 games these days

http://www.bizarrecreations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15220&sid=569a6287e85ab6908615b1289a7c4ef3

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 06:46:45 PM »

Pretty surprising.  I would expect MS to have snapped them up.  Then again, with the complete lack of buzz for PGR4, I'm guessing it's going to do very poorly at retail. 
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 08:14:55 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 26, 2007, 06:46:45 PM

Pretty surprising.  I would expect MS to have snapped them up.  Then again, with the complete lack of buzz for PGR4, I'm guessing it's going to do very poorly at retail. 
I doubt it. I'll probably sell at least 800,000.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 08:26:40 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on September 26, 2007, 08:14:55 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 26, 2007, 06:46:45 PM

I doubt it. I'll probably sell at least 800,000.

Why would you think so?  PGR 1 did really well (1 million plus) but PGR 2&3 both kind of underperformed.  Given the lack of buzz for PGR4, a crowded software lineup in general, Forza 2 only a couple of months old, and another installment of the insanely popular NFS series coming soon and I think PGR4 is going to be overlooked. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 08:56:22 PM »

How...bizarre.

I'll be here all week. Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 09:11:09 PM »

I've seen quite a bit for PGR4 over at autoblog.com, so I think they're making an effort to rope in a broad audience. Still, launching the week after Halo 3 pretty much dictates that the entire world will be drained of all buzz reserves right when you're coming out.  MS probably didn't see the need to have two in-house racing developers.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 09:25:18 PM »

well,it can happen in two ways

as MGS have some involvement in the PGR games,i dont think the PGR games wil/would/could go multiformat(EDIT:MS own rights to the PGR brand)

1-PGR 4 could be the last PGR..depending on how MS respond to PGR4 sales and the activision takeover

2-or it could be like square enix,they have games on all systems but keep the final fantasy games(main series,not spin offs) to the PS3

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 10:56:39 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 26, 2007, 09:25:18 PM

well,it can happen in two ways

as MGS have some involvement in the PGR games,i dont think the PGR games wil/would/could go multiformat(EDIT:MS own rights to the PGR brand)

1-PGR 4 could be the last PGR..depending on how MS respond to PGR4 sales and the activision takeover

2-or it could be like square enix,they have games on all systems but keep the final fantasy games(main series,not spin offs) to the PS3

I actually don't think they own the PGR IP, Bizzarre actually created that series with Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast.  Everything I've read about Bizzare is that they are very savvy business-wise and I think they own their IPs.

Hell look at Geometry Wars it's coming to the DS and Wii...

Bizzare has never been a one console developer, it's just that they haven't made much other than PGR as of late.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 11:08:07 PM »

where i got the 'EDIT' from saying that MS own the PGR brand was from the PGR wiki site....so,if true i dont know

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 11:32:05 PM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure MS owns the IP.  I'm sure Bizarre will do something similar for Activision (after all PGR is only MSR rebranded) but with a different name. 
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 01:49:15 AM »

MS does own the IP so any new game won't be another PGR for them. Well at least in name it won't as I doubt Bizarre Creations will take a 90 degree turn from what they have been doing for years now. Does seem strange MS would let them go as the PGR has been a solid franchise for them(although each sequel has sold less than the previous one) unless they have someone else their confident who can keep the series going.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 11:34:42 AM »

statement from MS

http://kotaku.com/gaming/jumping-the-ship/microsoft-responds-to-bizarre-acquisition-304189.php

Project Gotham Racing is a signature racing franchise for Xbox 360 and Xbox LIVE and we plan to continue the series but we have nothing further to announce.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 11:52:58 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 27, 2007, 11:34:42 AM

statement from MS

http://kotaku.com/gaming/jumping-the-ship/microsoft-responds-to-bizarre-acquisition-304189.php

Project Gotham Racing is a signature racing franchise for Xbox 360 and Xbox LIVE and we plan to continue the series but we have nothing further to announce.

Oh, god.  I hope that doesn't mean they are going to give it to another developer or do it internally. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: