http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 04:00:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Achievement whoring on the 360...  (Read 1144 times)
Larraque
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2010, 03:04:46 PM »

Do you find yourself ever doing things you wouldn't normally do because of achievement (or PS3 trophy) whoring?

Yesterday, while playing A Kingdom for Keflings, I found myself trying to figure out the 'friend' achievement. Now, this achievement is the last one I need to finish the game and is worth like 10 points. Otherwise, I'm done with the game and would rather spend my time playing something else. The problem with this achievement is that you need to watch people build ten banner towers in your kingdom, so you have to start over in multiplayer (which I've already done) and play some more. I played for a while, and no one ever joined up in my kingdom in multiplayer. There are a few people still playing the game but overall it's pretty much unlikely I'll ever see this achievement. It's not worth the effort -- yet I still want it. One of the 'strategies' I read is to use a corded controller and leave your console on while you do other things. For some reason I'm seriously considering doing this.

Also, I find myself yesterday putting PREY (of all games) into the drive to see if people are playing the multiplayer, as the multiplayer achievements seem really easy to get. Of course, I shouldn't be surprised to find that no one is still playing this title as it's old and mediocre.

I also bought a mic-stand for Rock Band (1, not 2) a while back so I could single-player through the band achievements in that game.

What have you done while chasing achievements?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:09:01 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 03:13:49 PM »

AchievementWhoreTeggy in 3...2...1..
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 03:28:26 PM »

I ain't no achievement whore. I like achievements, but with the exception of difficulty related ones, I will never go after extra achievements unless I can get them very quickly. For example, I played MW2 on veteran, but I didn't collect all the intel because I would have had to use a guide and it would have been a pain to do it while playing the game. I did the achievement for getting through the snowstorm without being spotted because it was doable while playing the game. I didn't collect all the ore in Red Faction because it would have been boring, but I did the weapon and destruction achievements because they could be done while advancing the storyline and they were fun.

And I've never played Avatar.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »

i like Achievements and yeah i do go out of my way to get them,going through a whole game again on a harder difficulty to get an achievement doesn't do it for me...but i would prolly call myself an Achievement Whore,but not a Achievement Score Whore,as they could be worth nothing and i would still go after them

if i had finished the story in the game and achievements weren't in the game,i would of finished with the game altogether,at least this way they give me a few more hours playtime with the game

as for the intel for MW2 Teggy,after you have completed the game you can choose which level to go in...you can just go in to the level,grab the intel,and then quit the game it remembers what intel you have picked up for your next game...its very easy(i used a Youtube Video to get the ones i missed)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:45:29 PM »

if I get them I get them, if I don't I don't.  my favorite was Crackdown where they'd pop up for whacky stuff you'd be doing during the course of the game anyways.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 03:50:01 PM »

the only achievement I've gone 'out of my way' to do that wouldn't happen normally is to kill a critter by jumping on his head in borderlands.  Some of the games I have the most hours played in I have <300 points
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 03:51:24 PM »

Zombie Genocider is the greatest achievement of all time.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 18, 2010, 03:51:24 PM

dead rising?......kill 53000 Zombies?

carrying the Gnome all though the game to put it in the rocket near the end in HL2 ep2(or 3)was the worse for me,it really spoilt that game for me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 18, 2010, 04:07:57 PM

dead rising?......kill 53000 Zombies?

carrying the Gnome all though the game to put it in the rocket near the end in HL2 ep2(or 3)was the worse for me,it really spoilt that game for me

Yeah, I would never do that. I did do the achievement for only firing one bullet, but that was still fun because you could use a lot of other weapons and go crazy with the grav gun.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 04:54:43 PM »

I don't necessarily go out of my way to get the near-impossible ones, but I do make an attempt at achievements that are "achievable."  Like Teggy, I also earned the snowstorm achievement in MW2, but it certainly took a number of attempts for me when I could have merely ripped through the level in one try by spraying bullets at anything that moved.  I do have a number of achievements in various games that took multiple tries, required a change in play style, or really gave me fits until I finally managed to get them just right, but I enjoy earning them not necessarily for points but for a sense of accomplishment. 

I like the achievement system, and while I have no idea what my gamerscore is (nor do I care), I remember various achievements that felt pretty satisfying to finally achieve.  Regardless of point value, some were just really satisfying to complete.  And I wouldn't have gone after them otherwise if it wasn't for an achievement icon and a handful of points.  One more added bonus I can get out of a game if I so choose.  But then there are some that I have no intention of trying.  At all. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 04:56:09 PM »

I enjoy getting achievements, so if its not too far out of the way I'll make an effort to do so. I can't do some of the really crazy ones that require tons of time though. It seems like such a waste.

This includes the Gears of War 2 achievement for killing 100,000 enemies or whatever... and the strat for doing it fastest was to play the level where you're riding the Brumak for about 8 hours.  retard Yeah, no thanks.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 04:57:31 PM »

When I finish off a game I might try and do a couple easy things to get the achievement.  If I really loved a game I will likely go back and try and get as many as I can.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »

now that one I DID do, but not for the achievement, but for the in-game unlock attached to it.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »

I did enjoy the gnome chompski achievement. I think this is one type of achievement that increases replayability and enjoyment of the game, since this achievement requires you to replay in a way that you wouldn't normally play. It also made for a pretty exciting run around the roller coaster part of the level. Thumbs up from me.

I very rarely get the full 1,000 or 200 from a game. I did it for Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers, because it was a lot of fun to do, and I did it for 1 vs 100 (but only two achievements did you have to go out of your way for - so I had that done pretty fast.)

Left 4 Dead I missed a lot of achievements. Never even got close to the Zombie Genocider achievement.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 05:25:52 PM »

I'll look at the list and go for ones that don't involve too much extra effort.  The only one so far that I've sat there and ground through was LEGO Indiana Jones, which involved stuff like Kill 100 snakes, break this character with that character, etc.  The other two I have completed are that stupid Doritos game and BF:1943, both of which are like 200 points.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 08:55:02 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on January 18, 2010, 05:14:07 PM

I very rarely get the full 1,000 or 200 from a game.

So why are are you wasting your time trying to get a stupid pointless achievement in A Kingdom for Keflings?
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 09:17:35 PM »

Quote from: skystride on January 18, 2010, 08:55:02 PM

Quote from: DragonFyre on January 18, 2010, 05:14:07 PM

I very rarely get the full 1,000 or 200 from a game.

So why are are you wasting your time trying to get a stupid pointless achievement in A Kingdom for Keflings?

Beats me  icon_biggrin
That's kind of the point of this thread.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 03:37:47 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 18, 2010, 04:07:57 PM

I disagree on that killing the game. To me, that was a challenge to complete long after I'd played through the game. I got the achievement (major bitch to do) but it was fun. Sometimes I'll blatantly whore (Batman: AA being the latest example, but primarily because I absolutely love the game. Btw Sensuous, I now have 1000 pts. on AA. You read that right. smile) But if I don't like the game or the achievements are ridiculous to get, then I'll blow it off. I think I can count on one hand the number of games I've hit 1000 pts. on.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »

If it's enjoyable to get or something that I don't have to go out of my way to get, then I'll chase down a few. I won't punish myself by drudging through something monotonous or frustrating; veteran mode on the first mw broke my desire to play it ever again or even bother with it beyond a few levels.

If I'm so close to the 1k, and I haven't burnt out, I'll try for it, but I have a few games with 1 or 2 left that I'll never bother going after.

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 02:19:58 PM »

I'll always go after SP achievements that aren't ridiculously difficult or time-consuming to do. For example in NHL 10 there is an achievement if you dump the puck into the zone 10 times in a game. I would never do this in a normal game, but I decided to spend one period just dumping the puck in over and over again until I got the achievement. Took 5 minutes and then I was back to playing normally.

I pay no attention to MP achievements as they usually rely on me beating someone who has played the developer or finishing first in an online tournament or other stupid things like that.

Batman: AA, MW2, and AssCreed 2 are three examples of single player games where achievements are done right. It is possible to get 1000 on all three games without going too much out of your way.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 02:38:48 PM »

There's an achievement for Test Drive Unlimited for driving on every bit of road on the entire island. I spent a couple of hours driving around trying to fill in the gaps... zooming on the map to find gaps, plotting a route to them driving them, find the next gap, etc... that broke my fascination with achievements.

I suddenly realized that was the stupidest thing I have ever tried and I haven't worried about achievements at all since. I still get a little tingle when I hear the achievement sound and see the popup, and sometimes I'll check what I got the achievement for if it wasn't obvious, but I'm not looking at the list to find achievements to get ever again.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »

I don't have a single game where I've achieved 100% of the achievements.

That doesn't mean I won't take a little extra time to get cheevies that look like they'd be fun to get.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 06:58:49 AM »

Amateurs!  Try playing FFXI for almost two years and getting 50 points total...  icon_eek   One of my Friends from that game has something like 85 total points (in a game other than FFXI) - and he's still playing the game.

Metal has gotten me more into Achievements lately than I ever had been.  I find that it does enhance gameplay for me, if I seek the ones I know I'd enjoy doing, avoid the ones I have no chance at, and try to beat the occasional challenging one that I know will give me a feeling of accomplishment.  I'm rarely obsessive about them, but when I knew I was leaving FFXI, I spent a few weeks getting a synthesis skill to level 100, just because I refused to leave the game without a single Achievement point.

So, I like them, though I won't go too far out of my way for them, and I certainly don't drive myself nuts going after difficult, unenjoyable ones.  I do think they add to gaming because if you care about them, you will play longer - and if you don't, it doesn't really matter.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 07:14:57 AM »

With 9 platinum trophies on the PS3, you could say I'm a trophy whore. smile I go for platinum on games where I enjoy the trophies (or where they are so easy that it would be a crime to skip them, such as with Terminator Salvation and Alone in the Dark), so I do enjoy the process. There's the occasional trophy hunt that will annoy me because it forces me to play a part of the game that I don't like as much as the rest (like the crypts in Assassin's Creed 2), but if I don't find myself enjoying the process, I'll just skip the whole thing.

Trophies have added a lot to my enjoyment of PS3-games though. Games like Uncharted 1 & 2 lasted a lot longer with trophies than they would have without them, and they made me play through the games on Crushing difficulty, something I otherwise wouldn't have done. It's a very satisfying experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: