http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:46:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aargh! I can't play Pirates!!!  (Read 3891 times)
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2004, 10:55:07 PM »

This is killing me!  I have the DVD version of Pirates, and my DVD drive won't recognize the disc!  If I try in on my laptop DVD drive, it works fine!

I'm going to start to disable stuff, see if I can isolate what the problem is...

Hm.  On a whim, I tried disabling DirectCD to see if that would help, and now I can't get any DVD's to work in the system!

Gah!
marcain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 11:06:59 PM »

I've had this same problem.  From what I've gathered, it's due to my DVD drive (faster DVD drives not playing well with their copy protection).  Regardless, a no-cd patch is the only way I had been able to play, since their tech support hadn't been able to solve the problem.

Today, I received an email from Atari saying to replace my .exe with this
http://ftp://ftp.infogrames.net/patches/pirates/pirates-DVD-rpl.zip

Of course I'm at work so I haven't tried that yet myself.
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 11:13:01 PM »

No CD patch here.  Thanks to the pirates for letting me play Pirates!

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 11:16:03 PM »

Well, I can't even get my DVD drive to recognize the disc when it is inserted, so a noCD crack isn't going to help much.  The drive does read other DVD's.  I suspected the interactual player being a problem (my kids watch Disney DVD's on the system occasionally) so I removed that but no luck.

I'm going out to the car to get my work laptop and try that again...then I might call up my buddy and see if I can a) try my disc in his system and b) borrow his disc to try in mine.
Scoop20906
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 11:32:20 PM »

What kind of system / DVD player brand do you have?

I had the same problem with my Dell 8400. You can check out my solution here: http://consolegold.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3251

Not saying this will solve your problem but maybe it can point you in another direction.

Hope this helps and I feel your pain... :x

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 11:36:08 PM »

Hmm.  It's a Dell 8250, with a Liteon DVD Rom.

Guess I'm calling Dell then, because the disc works like a charm in my laptop (again.)
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 12:47:03 AM »

Yeah, like fun your names are Mary and Lee.  Just take my info and route me back to the US so I don't have to repeat everything twice! :evil:
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 01:00:05 AM »

And transfer #3, this time to the DVD hardware support guys...think I'll make it to America yet?
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 01:17:02 AM »

Nope. Still in India.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 01:31:11 AM »

I hate outsourced tech support.

They took something that was at one time useful and made it frustratingly impossible to actually use.

The last person I spoke to from dell, while not in their tech support division,  spoke such badly garbled english that I (admittedly in a very unjustifiably rude way) gave my opinion of the person's grasp of the english language and hung up on them. At that point I had repeated how to spell my name five times and she was still not getting it right. When she spelled it with six wrong letters on the last try I snapped. I didn't even find out what it was she wanted exactly until about two weeks later. She was trying to sell me a warranty on my newly purchased PC. Even if she had spelled my name right on the sixth attempt I probably would have still hung up on her halfway through her offer.

They called me for something while I was eating my lunch at work which was already frustrating enough. To then have to sit there on my cell phone and go through that while my food got cold really fired me up.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 02:07:16 AM »

Well, I just got the cold shoulder by Dell.  I made it to the last level of hardware support, and apparently was still in India.  Anyway, the guy had me delete a couple of registry keys, go into setup, turn on all of my lock keys, Alt-E, F10, then escape.  Reboot, and still doesn't work.  At this point he said that in his opinion the software is written in a format that the DVD drive doesn't support, and that I should maybe go out and buy a new DVD drive.  :evil:  

He then told me that because the software didn't come from Dell, there was nothing more that hardware support could do for me, and that I could try software support.  So, I call the number, then the extension that he gave me, wait on the phone for like 10-15 minutes, give "Ron" all of my information, and I was told I was back at hardware support!  The knob gave me the wrong extension!

So now, I just got done talking to "Linda", and she told me that if I want to purchase a service contract, they would be happy to send me to a consultant that "may" be able to help me.

I hung up the phone.

I used to love Dell Customer service.  Even the level 1 guys knew their hardware and could help six ways from Sunday.  Now it's just a run-around.

So...looks like no Pirates for me!
marcain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 03:04:49 AM »

To give you a little more info, my DVD drive would not read the game at all.  I returned my first copy, thinking it was blank/corrupt/whatever.

Then I put the second copy in my drive and it couldn't read that DVD either.  Only after being the stubborn fool that I am did I get lucky enough for the drive to finally read it and got the game installed.  I basically ejected the DVD, reseated the DVD, made sure it was clean, and tried again and again.

Unfortunately I got only one game in before the drive starting having trouble again, which is where the no-cd deal comes in.

Perhaps you could borrow a friend's drive, get it installed and use the no-cd or the file linked above...

If it makes you feel any better, the Atari tech suggested that I get a different drive too.   :roll:

Good luck.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 03:55:15 AM »

actually, "ethan" called me today to give me a survey.  "it will only take 15 minutes".  both of which are bold faced lies of course, as i had to talk to him for almost an hour and ended up repeating a ton of stuff over and over.  

it's so bad around here, we have a long running joke about "steve in dallas" being tbe tech support guy.  it's sad really that Indians are getting to be known for this.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 04:02:28 AM »

a little on topic stuff here.

you could make an image of the disc and then install from that.  you would need the no-cd fix of course, but it would get you up and running.  
you could also copy the installed directory over and hope that it contains everything that the game needs to run.  i did this with morrowind and it runs fine.
hope this helps.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 04:28:29 AM »

Quote from: "Caine"

you could make an image of the disc and then install from that.  you would need the no-cd fix of course, but it would get you up and running.  
you could also copy the installed directory over and hope that it contains everything that the game needs to run.  i did this with morrowind and it runs fine.
hope this helps.

Don't think it would help if his system can't read the DVD.  It's not copy-protection kicking him on install time, it's that his system can't actually recognize the disc itself (i.e., no filesystem shown).

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2004, 05:10:07 AM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"

hope this helps.

Don't think it would help if his system can't read the DVD.  It's not copy-protection kicking him on install time, it's that his system can't actually recognize the disc itself (i.e., no filesystem shown).

Yup.  That's the problem.  But I guess I could try and copy the disc from my laptop across my network and do the install that way, the try out a no-cd  fix...  I'll try that tomorrow.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 05:10:32 AM »

i need to clarify that.  if it works on his laptop, make the image on that and transfer it over.  also, copying the installed directory should work as well.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2004, 05:18:40 AM »

i need to clarify that.  if it works on his laptop, make the image on that and transfer it over.  also, copying the installed directory should work as well.

This was exactly what I was about to suggest. Glad you guys are all over it smile

Another option is to find a friend or relative's dvd reader that works, either internal or external and add it to the main PC temporarily, and image from there.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2004, 11:34:43 AM »

I had this same problem with my Sims 2 DVD and my drive.  It installed fine but I couldn't boot up the game.
Luckily my HL2 DVD worked fine.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2004, 01:08:30 PM »

%$*($% STEAM!!!!!11

....ooops, wrong thread.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2004, 06:02:39 PM »

another option that would work, although slow in comparison to the first two:
share out the dvd drive and map to it from the main pc.  

regarding the first option, to make an image:  you would need to do this with a tool like winiso or alchohol 120%.  you would mount the image with daemon tools or alchohol 120%.  this would work faster as it would be on the main pc and not having to deal with the network traffic.

SkyRam
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2004, 08:11:50 PM »

I could install the game and now I get the same "no cd" in drive deal.  Its funny I even registered the darn thing.  Now they have my personal info so I can get spammed with all their stuff.  This makes an individual very angry. It makes me angry anyway!
Zap Rowsdower
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2004, 09:55:57 PM »

Quote from: "hentzau"
This is killing me!  I have the DVD version of Pirates, and my DVD drive won't recognize the disc!  If I try in on my laptop DVD drive, it works fine!

I'm going to start to disable stuff, see if I can isolate what the problem is...

Hm.  On a whim, I tried disabling DirectCD to see if that would help, and now I can't get any DVD's to work in the system!

Gah!

Could you return it and get the CD version instead?
SkyRam
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2004, 10:22:34 PM »

Well Ive tried the zip file and it keeps saying that the archive is corrupt.
I cant seem to find it on that site either. I didnt know Infrogames was associated with atari or firaxis. Sigh. First game I have paid full price for in years. Like thats going to happen again. Not. As for returning it for the cdrom I wish my store would do that but I have my doubts. Im going to try though. Wish I had bought it at Best Buy. I know they would have.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 10:22:46 PM »

Quote from: "Zap Rowsdower"

Gah!

Well, yeah, I guess.  I got it through GoGamer, so I have to go through all of that hassle.  That's my last resort option.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2004, 12:26:41 AM »

Quote from: "Zap Rowsdower"

Gah!

Well, yeah, I guess.  I got it through GoGamer, so I have to go through all of that hassle.  That's my last resort option.

How bad do you want to play the game?  Seems like the best option.  Just tell them what happened and ask for the cd version in an exchange.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Jolor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2004, 02:18:47 AM »

How bad do you want to play the game? Seems like the best option. Just tell them what happened and ask for the cd version in an exchange.

Just don't hit them if they try to sell you a different DVD player.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2004, 02:31:31 PM »

Well, the more I've been thinking about this, the more I'm thinking about buying a DVD burner, since I don't have one, and need a better way of backing up pictures and the like.  Might have to wait until after the holidays, unless I find a killer deal somewhere...
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2004, 11:51:46 PM »

Has anyone found a work around for this problem? I just got the game (the DVD Limited Edition version) today through a trade, and I keep having problems installing the game. I get a message halfway through installation telling me the the file proga~1.cab is corrupt. I read on one of the message boards that this might be due to certain DVD-drives rather than an actual corrupted disk. My drive is a Lite-on, also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: