http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 11:15:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A whole bunch of reasons it's still worth it to be a PC gamer  (Read 2639 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2008, 01:05:36 PM »

This is a staggering list of PC games in development and scheduled for a 2008 release:

http://www.systemwars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69169

There is so much of that list that's great, and has me drooling in anticipation. We're in dry times right now, but good times are comin'!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 01:27:52 PM »

My must-haves:

* Starcraft 2

* Empire Total War

* Spore

* Disciples 3 Renaissance

* Jagged Alliance 3

* HOMM Kingdoms (browser based, free MMO HOMM??)

* Political Machine 2008 (only $19.99)

* Vampyre Story (from the makers of Curse of Monkey Island, the artwork looks incredible)

* Dragon Age (it's Bioware, but I don't think it'll ship this year)

* Mafia 2

* Fallout 3

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »

Some of the adventure games on that list sounded promising. 
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 02:41:03 PM »

beat ya Tongue

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,25216.0.html
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 03:02:22 PM »

The number of adventure games coming out is pretty surprising to me.  I know there's still demand out there for games like that, but I didn't think there was THAT much demand.  Still, that list is worthless without Loom 2. smile

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 03:20:50 PM »

Quote from: Sepiche on April 18, 2008, 03:02:22 PM

The number of adventure games coming out is pretty surprising to me.  I know there's still demand out there for games like that, but I didn't think there was THAT much demand.  Still, that list is worthless without Loom 2. smile

That's actually pretty normal for adventure games.  There are a TON released every year but they are usually under the radar with appeal only for the person who strictly plays that genre.  They can pretty much be lumped into the category of shovelware.

What has me a little more optimistic on the adventure list this year compared to the past is there seems to be some stronger teams working on them than in the past. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 03:35:56 PM »

Definitely looking forward to Dragon Age, Far Cry 2, STALKER Clear Sky, Drakensang: The Dark Eye, Mafia 2, Fallout 3 and Precursors with a ton of others that I'm going to keep my eye on.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 03:43:36 PM »

Meh, PC gaming is d-* ... <peruses list> Er, um ... nevermind, move along.   icon_wink

* - For those who don't know me due to my propensity to primarily post at OO back in its functional days, I'm just joking.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 03:57:07 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 18, 2008, 03:20:50 PM

That's actually pretty normal for adventure games.  There are a TON released every year but they are usually under the radar with appeal only for the person who strictly plays that genre.  They can pretty much be lumped into the category of shovelware.

What has me a little more optimistic on the adventure list this year compared to the past is there seems to be some stronger teams working on them than in the past. 

I think the new Sam and max might have something to do with the huge influx as well.  It has gotten a ton of press lately with glowing reviews.   IIRC ever episode had a review in the major mags.  That's a ton of exposure over the course of a year for a game and the genre.   

morlac00 on PSN
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 11:37:26 PM »

Lots of great games in that list, need to build a new computer though, my current rig hasn't been able to play anything from the last 1-2 years.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 12:57:28 AM »

PC gaming is DOOOMMMED.

However, I went ahead and bought a new PC today. Am trying to backup and clean up stuff on the old PC before moving over. I'll let you know if the new one is up to snuff, or if I'm still driving a horse and buggy.  icon_twisted

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 02:05:37 AM »

There really is a lot of great stuff on it's way... now I just need to build a new PC so I can play it all.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 11:24:19 AM »

PC gaming will never die, but I am dead to it however.  Can't, and see no way in the foreseeable future that I ever will be able to, build a new one.  Got a list a mile long of expensive other things that take priority over any hobby.  So, no more over-1k purchases for me.  Bummer. 

As for the list, Mafia 2 and Fallout would be my top two, but I feel pretty confident that they both will see consoles.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 03:14:43 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on April 19, 2008, 11:24:19 AM

PC gaming will never die, but I am dead to it however.  Can't, and see no way in the foreseeable future that I ever will be able to, build a new one.  Got a list a mile long of expensive other things that take priority over any hobby.  So, no more over-1k purchases for me.  Bummer. 

As for the list, Mafia 2 and Fallout would be my top two, but I feel pretty confident that they both will see consoles.

+1

There will always be great games for the PC, but I am done with trying to keep up with the hardware requirements. I haven't upgraded my rig in over three years and I doubt I'll be upgrading anytime soon. I bought myself a 360 and now I can just concentrate on getting games for the next few years. When the new Xbox comes out years from now I just need to drop another $500 or so and I can then again stop worrying about hardware and just concentrate on games.

I couldn't believe how liberating it was to fire up a 360 game for the first time and I didn't have to spend 20 minutes tweaking graphical settings to get an acceptable framerate.

However, for those that continue to enjoy the PC gaming arena, I hope there continues to be many quality games for you all to enjoy.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 04:08:06 PM »

I think the days of having to pay $1000+ for a decent gaming machine are over.  At this point, Dell and other manufacturers are building very respectable gaming-capable machines for not a heck of a lot.  I just picked up a mid/high range machine for ~$700, and I could have put in lesser hardware and probably shaved another $200 off there easily.  It's definitely not a bleeding-edge system, but it's a lot of machine for the price.

Also, I think a lot of PC devs have realized that they have to make their games scalable.  Even my old 3+ year old machine was running most recent games (Crysis excepted) at some level, even if I had to live with graphical compromises.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 10:26:06 PM »

Both Mafia 2 and Fallout 3 are cross-platform, and will be on the consoles.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »

I want to play Loom 2 with my Rock Band guitar slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 12:18:28 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on April 19, 2008, 10:26:06 PM

Both Mafia 2 and Fallout 3 are cross-platform, and will be on the consoles.

I almost posted the same thing, but I think he meant that he'd get them for the consoles instead of the PC.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 12:48:36 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 19, 2008, 12:57:28 AM

PC gaming is DOOOMMMED.

However, I went ahead and bought a new PC today. Am trying to backup and clean up stuff on the old PC before moving over. I'll let you know if the new one is up to snuff, or if I'm still driving a horse and buggy.  icon_twisted

Just got mine last week.  It is fantastic coming from a AMD 2600  icon_biggrin

Oh and it was only $860 shipped for a perfectly capable system.   IMO pc gaming has never been cheaper.  Hardware has gotten silly cheap and games are always on sale somewhere.  Add the fact that pc games have never been more moddable and that gaming $ can really go far.  As far as hobbies go I look at it like this.
  My family needs a computer.  We pay bills, do research, shop, write poetry, store pictures, send email, make cds,  etc on the computer.  They have really become an essential tool of the household.  We could do this just dandy on a $500ish system.  If I add about $400-$500 to that I can get a good gaming PC.   Ergo my gaming hobby has the same price of entry as a console.  The difference in price on gaming software makes up for the occasional pc upgrade.

PS Loom with the all the Rock Band instruments would be sweet!

morlac00 on PSN
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 12:56:14 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 19, 2008, 04:08:06 PM

I think the days of having to pay $1000+ for a decent gaming machine are over.  At this point, Dell and other manufacturers are building very respectable gaming-capable machines for not a heck of a lot.  I just picked up a mid/high range machine for ~$700, and I could have put in lesser hardware and probably shaved another $200 off there easily.  It's definitely not a bleeding-edge system, but it's a lot of machine for the price.

Also, I think a lot of PC devs have realized that they have to make their games scalable.  Even my old 3+ year old machine was running most recent games (Crysis excepted) at some level, even if I had to live with graphical compromises.
Bingo! This AM, I set up a Dell 530 with Quad 6600, 2 gig RAM + 24" LCD.  I popped a GeForce 9600 GT in and have been in gaming heaven with Crysis-all settings on High.  Total bill was $816 counting tax and my $40 rebate on the 3D card.  I really didn't want to buy a new PC right now but what a trade up from my slowly failing 2001 Dell PC. 

Saving the world one post at a time.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 01:38:06 AM »

I've decided to not upgrade (console or pc) until I clear my backlogs. Though not sure if I want a new console as I play my psp & ds more than my ps2 or xbox1 (Main TV is normally in use once I actually get to where I have free game time). I'm just now hitting the point where I can't run newer games so my backlog won't grow much anymore. It also helps that the games I like aren't made that often. The only games I don't have that I want are NWN2, Witcher and Crysis. NWN2 and Witcher I'll get when the gold versions are cheap. Crysis will have to wait until I upgrade as I can't run it. Hopefully I can run STALKER Clear Skies.

Once Fallout 3, Farcry 2, ArmA 2, Ground Branch and Dragon Age are out I'll cave and upgrade, though I might wait until gold versions or until mods mature a bit. Then I'll grab up whatever else I missed that I want and start my backlog anew (Its the circle of life..ahhh ahhh ahhh). Some of the games on this list sure look nice so I'll be sure and know what the forum goers enjoyed.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 07:21:32 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 19, 2008, 04:08:06 PM

Even my old 3+ year old machine was running most recent games (Crysis excepted) at some level, even if I had to live with graphical compromises.

I ran Crysis just fine on my 5 year old machine! of course, the video card was upgraded a while back to an ATi X1600 and there were still visual compromises made, but it still looked ok.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 01:30:46 PM »

I actually didn't try Crysis on my last machine.  I imagine it would have run, but not at the level I would've wanted.

Even with this new machine, I can't get it to run at the level I want it to.  I can definitely get it to run, and it looks nice, it's just that I know it can look nicer, and that bugs me a bit.  Everything else I've put on this machine, I can max out.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 02:30:54 PM »

I don't think we will see another game designed to run on future computers anytime soon.  The sales of Crysis have proven that if you design a game for tomorrow people won't buy it....until tomorrow.  Of course by then it's cheap and other newer games will get precedence.

morlac00 on PSN
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 04:31:39 PM »

Quote from: morlac on April 21, 2008, 02:30:54 PM

I don't think we will see another game designed to run on future computers anytime soon.  The sales of Crysis have proven that if you design a game for tomorrow people won't buy it....until tomorrow.  Of course by then it's cheap and other newer games will get precedence.

uhh.....they've sold over a million copies of Crysis.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 05:41:24 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 21, 2008, 01:30:46 PM

I can definitely get it to run, and it looks nice, it's just that I know it can look nicer, and that bugs me a bit.  Everything else I've put on this machine, I can max out.

and thus my machine upgrade has been delayed once again... maybe i'll wait for full-speed PS2 and Xbox emulation. haha
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 06:34:06 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on April 21, 2008, 04:31:39 PM

Holy cow you are right!  I had no idea.  I just remember the 30 or so articles about how poorly it was selling after launch.  With titles such as "Crysis sales in crisis" and such.  Damn media jumping the gun I suppose.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 12:26:29 AM »

Quote from: morlac on April 21, 2008, 06:34:06 PM

Holy cow you are right!  I had no idea.  I just remember the 30 or so articles about how poorly it was selling after launch.  With titles such as "Crysis sales in crisis" and such.  Damn media jumping the gun I suppose.

I don't  think it sold as quickly as they wanted it too, but yeah, they broke a million.

Because I can,
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »

That is the "every game has to be blockbuster that sells three million copies in 2 days or it is a failure" mentality infecting the gaming industry.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 03:01:40 AM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on April 22, 2008, 11:14:19 PM

That is the "every game has to be blockbuster that sells three million copies in 2 days or it is a failure" mentality infecting the gaming industry.

That mentallity is because development costs have skyrocketed.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 04:37:16 AM »

Without a doubt. 
I would be interested in seeing what the break even number for Crysis was. 

morlac00 on PSN
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 01:25:40 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 23, 2008, 03:01:40 AM

Quote from: Beer Goggles on April 22, 2008, 11:14:19 PM

That mentallity is because development costs have skyrocketed.

Funny, I would've put it the other way around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: