http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 02:35:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A quick STEAM question...  (Read 778 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2006, 12:47:58 PM »

I have HL2 on DVD and I usually just install off of there...but...I don`t plan on playing HL2, just dod:s and cs:s, and down the road some others. Is it possible to just download Steam and get only what I need not install all of the stuff off of the DVD? And would it be worth it, or would it just take forever to download stuff that way? Any ideas?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 02:04:28 PM »

If you have a cd key for DoD and HL2, you can try to just register the key on steam, pause the main HL2 download, and download only DoD and CS.  However those games might usually use some of the same assets that HL2 uses, basic things like materials and the like.

I'm not sure if this'll work, but it's worth a shot.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 02:02:24 AM »

Just to put my 2c in... I bought HL2 silver online.

While you can install CS:S or DoD:S on their own, the download is big due to having to DL the common art elements and the game engine.

By this I mean:

HL2 specific data: X mb
DoD specific data: Y mb
CS:S specific data: Z mb
Common art + game engine: A mb

No matter what, you will be downloading A mb. Since the 'common' install pattern is HL2 first then the other stuff, you usually see HL2 as being a big download (A+X) and the others as being small (Y, Z)...

But, if you only install DoD or CS:S, you still get a big download since you need to do either A+Y, or A+Z... and A is big.

Hope this helps.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 02:53:04 AM »

Since the common files are so large, you might want to just install HL2, then use the Steam menu to delete all the HL2 specific files, leaving the common files to be used by everyone.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 05:28:54 PM »

If you've got the CDs/DVD to install from? Absolutely. If you're just going to be downloading, there's no point and you may as well install only what you want.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: