http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:49:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Quest for Glory Retrospective  (Read 847 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2011, 01:44:28 AM »

now these are games I'd like to see someone re-issue.  I remember they did an update of the first game, and I never got to play them, mainly due to not having a PC until 92, and then having a very limited budget which resulted in me skipping anything I could find at the used PC game store we had locally.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 02:39:44 AM »

They were fun but I recall also frustrating. The combat wasn't fully intuitive and I ended up enjoying the adventure portion of the games more. I only had the first two games as I grew sick of the adventure games by the time the 3rd one came out so never played the others so would be curious to check them out. For the first game I purchased it when it was known of "Hero's Quest" before the name change. Pretty sure I still have the box/discs/manual somewhere at my fathers place.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 12:14:49 PM »

Thanks, that was an interesting read. It certainly makes me want to (re)play them.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:41:50 PM »

Heros quest..  I played them all, including the first one with EGA graphics.

So you want to be a hero?   lol

They were fun then, but..  Playing the early ones would be a exercise in frustration probably now.

You could spend hours and hours on some puzzle...   just trying to figure out what the puzzle was.  

I do not remember allot about the first one, except some purple looking thing that reminded me of "grimace from mcdonalds"..

But, at the time, they were THE fantasy quest type games..  Not tons of choices. 

But, evolution has been a good thing.    

As a example, In old games (perhaps not heros quest, my memory is blurry), when you interected with a NPC, you just typed in what you wanted to say.

If the game didnt understand or like what you typed, then the npc might kill you.   Trial and error, over and over..  and over..  
(Finding a solution on the internet was tons harder when you were stuck to boot. go go webcrawler on a vax!!)

I was glad when they started giving you a A, B, C, D choice in dialogue..   slywink

Things like that.   People would throw their computer out the window if games were like that now.  

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 02:46:27 PM »

These were some of my favorite games while I was younger. They didn't take themselves all that seriously, but the dramatic elements still worked very well. They were also probably the only adventure games with RPG elements I've ever played. The replayability was immense as well, with up to 4 different playthroughs for each game, one for each class. I'm going to read that retrospective later. smile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on January 19, 2011, 02:41:50 PM

As a example, In old games (perhaps not heros quest, my memory is blurry), when you interected with a NPC, you just typed in what you wanted to say.

The first two Quest for Glory games were like that, but they have both been remade later and are now available as point-and-click games just like the later titles in the series.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 03:06:37 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 19, 2011, 02:48:49 PM

Quote from: Morgul on January 19, 2011, 02:41:50 PM

The first two Quest for Glory games were like that, but they have both been remade later and are now available as point-and-click games just like the later titles in the series.

Ahh, didnt know that.  I played all of them as they came out, and I enjoyed each of them allot. 

I wouldnt mind trying the "point and click" version of the earlier games just for fun.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »

Well, you can play the 'player-remake' version of QFG2 absolutely free over here:

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/

And yes, you can import your QFG1 character into it, and export a character into QFG3 out of it. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:46:16 PM »

I played the first three...but only finished the first two I think. The one is the desert just wore me down.

But I did love the games. The first one...I think it was the first one...was the first game I ever played on PC that wasn't "sports" oriented.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 10:54:55 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on January 19, 2011, 10:46:16 PM

I played the first three...but only finished the first two I think. The one is the desert just wore me down.

But I did love the games. The first one...I think it was the first one...was the first game I ever played on PC that wasn't "sports" oriented.

QFGII was the one in the desert. You must mean QFG 3, which was set in an African world populated by Lion-centaur people. It was widely regarded as the weakest of the games, besides the last entry in the series.

They were my favorite series of games, next to Ultima, because they were funny, full of adventure, and required thinking to solve the puzzles. Each class had different means to solve puzzles as well, so you had a little bit of replayability. I very much enjoyed QFG2, but the 4th one was the most "awesome" as it was set in a horror-based world of monsters, vampires, ghouls, ghosts, and werewolves. All of it was campy, but that was on purpose. It also had voice acting. Unfortunately it had TERRIBLE bugs that made it difficult to finish. Before the days of the internet, bugs were a show stopper.

And I'm proud I played the first two games as EGA text adventures (like Leisure Suit Larry was). Having to type in what you wanted to do was hardcore, and made me a better gamer!

The Grimace thing was called the Antwerp, I believe. It sucked.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 12:02:09 AM »

I had forgotten the jungle one.......I did finish the 1st and 4th games then and tried the 2nd and 3rd but gave up. I remember in the 3rd game there was something I could just never find or get by...I think the graphics on the 2nd one got me.

Weird, but i remember the graphics on the 2nd one being worse than the first one.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 08:18:10 AM »

Quote from: Scuzz on January 20, 2011, 12:02:09 AM

Weird, but i remember the graphics on the 2nd one being worse than the first one.

You might have played the remake. Only the second game was never officially modernized.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »

Well, technically the current remake of QFG2 got the green light, so I suppose you could call it semi-official.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 11:14:54 AM »

Antwerp!  Yea that was it!   Funny that was only thing I could remember.  Think I was stuck on it forever and was got the accomplishment giddies when I figured it out.

I remember the desert and jungle ones too.  And yea, the " haunted" one was the best one.

Man, where can we buy this set again ?  Gog got a 10$ special?
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »

Can buy it anywhere right now, unfortunately.... I kinda surprised they got Police Quest before they got QfG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: