http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 12:07:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A new rome game..Grand Ages: Rome..pics/vid  (Read 1408 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:51:18 PM »

PICS
VIDEO

Roman real-time city-building sim coming to North American shores later this year:

Grand Ages: Rome is a stunning strategy game based in Ancient Rome during the rise of Julius Caesar. As a member of a prominent noble family, players will be immersed in the intrigue and adventure of the rising Roman Empire, rubbing shoulders with some of the greatest historical figures of the era. Grand-scale city building and detailed combat scenarios unfold against a backdrop of breathtakingly detailed environments. Players can choose from historical campaign and freestyle game modes along with advanced online multiplayer controls.

I may be Imperium Romanum II with a new name. Cant say for sure.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 11:46:33 AM »

It is Imperium Romanum II, with a new name, as you say. Still, it looks good. Who knows though, Imperium Romanum was barely different than its predecessor, so it remains to be seen if Grand Ages: Rome will be something new. Usually they have a demo, so I'll look for that!

Bael
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »

I'm interested! The day will come when Roman-themed games will play as good as they look - though I hardly think we will be around to play 'em.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:58:29 PM »

Some pics and a DEMO ...someone give it a go. I dont have the free time right now frown

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 11:12:56 PM »

I don't know when I'll get around to playing it, but I'm downloading now. I'm something of a citybuilder aficionado...I don't like RTS, though.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 05:57:25 PM »

It's a big download, 850 MB, that installs to a 1.5 gig. The installer ran fine and the game launched slowly, but without problems. Sound stuttered badly. Went into the Options and dialed the graphics down to low and turned music off. Started the tutorial.

I quickly decided that the game is unplayable on my old P4-2.66 with 2 gig RAM. Uninstalled. I don't know what I was thinking. All I can tell you is that this game is not friendly for old systems.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 11:18:58 PM »

Is anyone else to the point where screen shots don’t do much for you anymore?  It seems like ALL games look good now and everything looks about the same.  Makes graphics less meaningful to me. 
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 11:22:31 PM »

Well someone has to remind these guys to put an actual game in there slywink.

If XBLA has taught me anything it is that gameplay is what matters, you can have
stickmen type graphics and still manage to do a great game (ala Alien Hominid).

What killed the previous games were the total abscence of life and soul in them. Tilted
Mill does this 10000 times better in my book.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 12:07:18 AM »

The demo isn't too bad, although I'm not sure I would say it is up to Children of the Nile standards. The game plays a bit like a more clear Children of the Nile, but without the personalization that having named citizens brings. I'm not sure this is a deal-breaker, per se, but I miss seeing the names of my citizens and their spouses and children. What I don't miss is having to micromanage the numbers - needing so many women for one job, from many different houses, and so many men for another. Instead, they went with a much more straightforward style of one house powers one job site (this is made more complex by having certain jobs open to plebs, certain open to Equites and Patricians). You also have slaves, which can power certain jobs, but do so with a lesser level of competency.

The resource system is a bit hard to understand at first, but quite brilliant once you understand it. Each resource building give a number of resource, for example a wood cutter gives 20 wood. This is not per tick and does not grow - just an instant "20 wood" that gets generated. Eat building built takes a certain amount of wood and then requires a constant upkeep - so if you see a 10 wood cost - you know you will be left with 10 wood afterwards. In some ways, this works like SimCity Societies "karma" energy system, but not in the annoying "I need to spam 14 wall murals to place these schools and houses" way (speaking of Tilted Mill's less stellar city building game). I like this system, but other may not - it means faster city building and easier resource planning, but requires a bit less thought than over-time harvesting systems (which I believe the last game used).

There is also a pretty neat system where you pick a family and get certain traits as you go from city to city. You can also buy estates that provide some instant resources as a bonus.

Worth a shot with the demo, I haven't yet played the military aspect, but I understand this is where the last one was lacking.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 01:24:37 AM »

a bit of info on the expansion pack.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 06:12:25 AM »

My God that game looks gorgeous...my God there's now way in Hell it'll run on my system.  icon_confused  I've recently been getting back into the SPQR boardgame, so I'd really be up for a game like that. Guess I could always sneak it on to my son's new PC when he isn't around. slywink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: