http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 08:33:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Look back at Carmageddon  (Read 600 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2011, 11:19:17 AM »

ah, the good old days.  big box, graphic box art....  I miss them.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 02:42:27 PM »

That made me really want to play this again.  I should try to dig it up.

I wish GOG would get it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »

I remember picking that one up on a whim and being surprised how much fun it was. Put many hours in to it. I had Carmageddon 2 and 3 but don't recall if those were as good.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:36:20 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on January 07, 2011, 07:33:54 PM

I remember picking that one up on a whim and being surprised how much fun it was. Put many hours in to it. I had Carmageddon 2 and 3 but don't recall if those were as good.

They weren't.  2 was ok but 3 was terrible.

morlac00 on PSN
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:52:30 AM »

I'd love to see an updated take on this game.  Especially if it was done by a smaller/indie developer so they could just go crazy with it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 03:46:21 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 08, 2011, 12:52:30 AM

I'd love to see an updated take on this game.  Especially if it was done by a smaller/indie developer so they could just go crazy with it.

I want to say someone did somewhat recently?  I believe they replaced people with Zombies so nobodies panties wold get in a wad.  An no not zombie driver.

in fact here it is...
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/clutch-trailer-armageddon-riders/46255

morlac00 on PSN
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:53:04 PM »

That Amageddon Riders does look like it's similar, and pretty cool.
I LOVED the original Carmageddon. I bought the Max Pack (which included the 3dFX patch and the Splat Pack) and played the living hell out of it for months. The best thing about it was that I could swear each enemy AI car had a different personality! I hated the fucker in the VW, IIRC. He was out to get me.

I played through most of the original game until it repeatedly crashed on me in the same spot (it wasn't the most stable of games), and then tried a bit of the Splat Pack. I did levels over and over again. Finding creative ways to dispatch pedestrians never, ever got old. Also I remember every time I'd ram a car, I'd take aim (I used a joystick for the controller), hit the throttle, and got up a bunch of speed before impact. Then, at moment of impact, I'd be mashing my joystick straight ahead, and then I'd literally raise forward out of my chair when impact occurred. Extreme satisfaction.

Carmageddon 2 was merely okay. Still very fun, but just not as cathartic IMO. Less blood maybe? I don't remember exactly.
Carmageddon 3 just sucked. I can't really remember why....Seems to me it wasn't nearly as free-form as the original; much more structured and goal-oriented, with goals I couldn't achieve, such as making multiple rooftop-to-rooftop jumps before you could continue.

I remember when I first played Carma 1, and thinking the physics engine was absolutely amazing! I was astounded at what they accomplished.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:10:04 PM by Giles Habibula » Logged
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 11:23:26 PM »

Dang. According to the wiki, the first two games were actually developed by Stainless Games. All these years, I thought SCi was the developer, when in fact they were the publisher.

Waitaminnit. SCi has become Square Enix?
I need to catch up on things.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:30:33 PM by Giles Habibula » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 12:02:14 AM »

Carma1 was back in the day when I didn't get to buy every game I wanted and I remember playing the demo over and over again, trying new ways to accomplish the different methods to win.

In a similar vein, I really wish they would get quarantine or it's sequel on GoG.

Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 12:08:53 AM »

Quote from: Caine on January 10, 2011, 12:02:14 AM

In a similar vein, I really wish they would get quarantine or it's sequel on GoG.

Oh god, major nostagia rush today.
I own both Quarantine and the sequel, Road Warrior. Never opened the sequel, but the original was built on a very smooth engine. Ran like silk on a 486/25.

Anybody remember Zone Raiders?
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 12:16:09 AM »

My brother and I had a blast with Carmageddon when we were younger.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 04:15:58 PM »

I recorded my sister's voice on a microphone, and used it in Carmageddon. She actually enjoyed saying things like "girl power", or "ouch!" and "Ai noo", and then hearing them when I splattered a random pedestrian.
Fun for the whole family!
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 09:46:49 PM »

Oh god, Carmageddon was the best. I still have the Max Pack on a shelf. It's a huge red box and it included a mousepad which I used for many years.

I played this game for what seemed like an eternity. The controls and physics were absolutely great. My favorite way to win was actually by killing all the pedestrians. It took some time and creativity, but it was a very satisfying way to win. My favorite cars were the starter red one, the yellow monster truck with the drill in front, that Impala type car, and the tow truck. I really feel like installing it again after watching that video. I never got into Carmageddon 2, though. Maybe not because it was a bad game, but more because it simply wasn't Carmageddon 1.

And don't get me started on Quarantine. That game rocked. I also never really got into Road Warrior, though.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 10:51:44 PM »

I still have the box!!

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: