http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 09:21:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a little gamestop love  (Read 1288 times)
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2008, 04:28:29 PM »

These guys get so much grief, it seems only appropriate to give them a little love when something goes well.

My mom gave me a gamestop gift card way back in August. She had to wait 45 minutes while the computers were down. So, the dude behind the counter gave her a card that he said entitled her to a 25% discount.  She of course gave it to me. I tried to use on RB2 yesterday but it's only for used games.  The guy who gave her the card was the guy behind the counter.  He had just come back from the gamestop conference.  He got RB2 for free while he was there.  He didn't want it.  So he traded it in (still shrink-wrapped) and then sold it to me for the used price.  Then gave me 25% off on top of that.   Walked out with a "used" shrink wrapped copy for $41.25.

At least I did get to play RB2 for a little bit before my 360 RROD'ed.   

- shaggy

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 05:05:29 PM »

Holy smokes!  That is awesome of him to do that for you!  I wouldn't go telling his district manager or anything, but that was pretty selfless.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:12:04 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on September 15, 2008, 04:28:29 PM

At least I did get to play RB2 for a little bit before my 360 RROD'ed.   

- shaggy

:doh

man, that's really cool he did that, but it seems you pissed off the rock gods and they smited your 360. 

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 05:32:05 PM »

Damn, that dude could totally get fired for that, since managers are totally not supposed to trade in any stuff they get for free.  I mean, it's a nice gesture, and even nicer because he's putting his job on the line.

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 05:36:23 PM »

Buy that guy a beer. My faith in humanity has increased by 0.0001%.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:13:13 PM »

We have a couple of Gamestop stores close by that I've been frequenting since I got my 360, and I have to say that every employee I've interacted with there has always been friendly, helpful, and completely easy to deal with.  I've never had any of the pre-order or warranty/guarantee hassle.  I haven't had any windfalls like this, but every time it's exactly what I expect in a retail transaction - efficient, no hassle service. 

XBox Live:  JNacht
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 09:28:50 PM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on September 15, 2008, 09:13:13 PM

We have a couple of Gamestop stores close by that I've been frequenting since I got my 360, and I have to say that every employee I've interacted with there has always been friendly, helpful, and completely easy to deal with.  I've never had any of the pre-order or warranty/guarantee hassle.  I haven't had any windfalls like this, but every time it's exactly what I expect in a retail transaction - efficient, no hassle service. 

Agreed. My GS is fantastic, and it's filled with friendly employees that are fun to chat with even when they're trying to do their required chat lines.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:40:39 PM »

Mine's staffed by moronic highschoolers.

But I realize not all Gamestops are like mine.  Kudos to Misguided and all the other great Gamestop employees.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:53:23 PM »

Are we really still discussing the ups and downs of the Gamestop experience?

Grats on the good deal though, shaggy!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 10:21:18 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 15, 2008, 05:32:05 PM

Damn, that dude could totally get fired for that, since managers are totally not supposed to trade in any stuff they get for free. 

Incorrect. It can't be returned, but it most certainly may be traded.
What he did was perfectly within his rights and helped you out at the same time.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 11:09:24 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 15, 2008, 10:21:18 PM

Damn, that dude could totally get fired for that, since managers are totally not supposed to trade in any stuff they get for free. 

What he did was perfectly within his rights and helped you out at the same time.

Well then they've certainly changed their tune since Gamestop took over.  When I managed for EB, we were told in no uncertain terms that promo games were under no circumstances to be traded in to the store, or really sold at all, and that doing so would result in the manager being canned.

I'm kind of not surprised that Gamestop wouldn't mind managers trading things in.  Basically, that item is then sold at their insane markup.  Too bad for the non-manager employees though.  I imagine that a lot of managers, given the choice between giving an unwanted game to their employees or trading it in for personal gain, would choose to trade it in, whereas in the old days, giving it to employees was the only option.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 12:42:23 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 15, 2008, 11:09:24 PM

Quote from: Misguided on September 15, 2008, 10:21:18 PM

Well then they've certainly changed their tune since Gamestop took over.  When I managed for EB, we were told in no uncertain terms that promo games were under no circumstances to be traded in to the store, or really sold at all, and that doing so would result in the manager being canned.

I'm kind of not surprised that Gamestop wouldn't mind managers trading things in.  Basically, that item is then sold at their insane markup.  Too bad for the non-manager employees though.  I imagine that a lot of managers, given the choice between giving an unwanted game to their employees or trading it in for personal gain, would choose to trade it in, whereas in the old days, giving it to employees was the only option.
Same here Chaz - we were told that we'd be fired immediately if we were caught trading in the 'freebie' stuff.  That said, I think we all traded in Force Commander....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 02:50:58 AM »

They do monitor returns of stuff like that, but trading is fine.
It's been that way for at least 3 years (it'll be three for me in October).
Having said that, I usually give stuff to my staff if I don't want it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: